Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
filigree_shadow

Irrelevant and Disturbing Surreal Crawdad Dream

If there was one thing that I think encapsulates the whole experience of pregnancy for me, it would be the Irrelevant and Disturbing Surreal Crawdad Dream. Since conception, my dreamscape has been unusually bizarre, bordering on the demented. One of my baby books told me that I'd be having nonstop dreams about puppies, kittens, and baby bunnies. Really? 'Cuz my dreams are filled with zombie-driven ice trucks that are late for delivery on my kid's birthday, masquerades where people come as themselves, a quest to cure possessed individuals (in this dream, you could tell that people were possessed by how annoying they were) by hitting them on the head with large rocks, and, of course, millions of malformed crawdads with human faces filling up numerous 18-wheeler truck beds.

Nary a bunny nor kitten to be found.

Par for the course during pregnancy? For me, it is.

An irrelevant, disturbing, and surreal scent: red currant, green tea, red musk, Hawaiian ginger, benzoin, vanilla, coriander, squash blossom, and blueberry.

When I first put this on, it smelled like sweet red currant -- very bright, red, and fruity. As it dried, the red currant backed off and the blueberry came out. After about 30 minutes, it's a lovely soft fruity scent with some delicious-smelling tea and musk. Just a hint of ginger and vanilla.

I really like this a lot -- it reminds me of some of my favorite scents from the Mad Tea Party category. It's sweet and pretty and fun.

bottle: sweet and tingly. i get the green tea and ginger scent most strongly followed by yummy red currant.

wet: the ginger and vanilla play well with the currant, musk and ginger. why did i only order one bottle of this? why!?

dry: wow. the musk and vanilla have some serious staying powere here! there's a spicy backnote (corainder?) as well. a new favourite!

Edited by Shollin

in bottle: smells like these little raspberry hard candies that came in a round white tin, which my parents used to buy for me at a german restaurant we went to. also i know there's no chocolate in this but i smell it at first. so basically, to me it smells nothing like it's supposed to. :P

on skin, wet: this is a bright pink scent. super strong and fruity. bright red current and ginger with fresh green tea and ginger, plus a touch of creamy vanilla.

on skin, dry: as it dries, it remains bright and cheery and the musk becomes noticeable. i am loving the fruity tea/vanilla/ginger combination, and it's very light and fresh.

i agree with filligree_shadow- there's a definite mad tea party vibe here.

I can't do this one justice. It's a little silly, a little surreal, and unbelievably GOOD. It's like a fruity girly boozy treat and yet suitable for small children. It's Schrodinger's Cat on acid.

If you did not get a bottle of this, you are missing out. :P

This had me at the mention of blueberry, since I love Blue Fire and have been wanting more blueberry scents since it was released. Crawdad is DELICIOUS! Wet, it's...well, it's blueberry cereal, sort of in the way Beaver Moon '07 was strawberry cereal. Personally I dig the cereally BPALs so I was fine with that...but as it dries, Crawdad gets even fruitier and sweeter until it reminds me of nothing so much as blueberry syrup. YUM! I'm getting a faint hint of tea underneath it all, and I'm sure with some aging the red musk will be more prominent. But I love it as it is right now. It is very very very sweet and foody so if that's your thing, this is made of awesome.

straight sniff from bottle is all about the blueberry...yum!!

once applied the ginger, tea and vanilla swirl with the delicious blueberry goodness...my oh my

i am beyond thrilled to own a bottle of this beauty...a whisper of delicate florals balances

this out perfectly...

as time goes by, this just gets better and better...the best blueberry scent the lab has to date...bravo beth!!

In the bottle, blueberries.

On me, blueberries. Oh, what a juicy scent! There's the ginger and the currants...coriander, benzoin. Mmmm.

Drying, all the spices have come forward. The berries are still there, but, the effect is more spicy and less juice.

Dry, the vanilla is making itself known and the scent is smoothing out some. Very very yummy so far. Also, very different from the scents I have tried before.

There's a lot of notes here that usually like my skin. I have high hopes for it lasting. =)

Hehe. It dries down to blueberries and green tea. Much lighter than it started, but, dreams often change directions unexpectedly. Nice!

Edited by Aerinha

This is just the most gorgeous thing! Blueberries! And here comes some vanilla! I feel like Violet Beauregard chewing the gum in Willy Wonka's chocolate factory! :D I think I can smell the squash blossum! Here comes the tea! :P

:P

Ok for starters, I am totally not a foody person, so keep in mind that when I say "ohhhgodyummmm" it is not in a foody way of yum...

In the bottle it's blueberry tea with a nice zing of vanilla ginger.

on wrist...this is very lovely and uber feminine. I like the fact that the Hawaiian ginger and green tea keep the whole blend in check, so that it doesn't blow up into "omgblueberrysyrup"

as it dries down, I get a bit of spice...not too noticeable but something in there that makes the sweetness a bit zingy. So I'm guessing that's the coriander *checks spice cabinet - huffs coriander* YUP! Blueberry tea with a touch of vanilla and ginger/blossom spicy spreckles.

I love it...

:D

edited fer spellinz

Edited by Purrsnikety

In the bottle it just smells randomly foody. On, it turns into this festive, explosively fragrant tea party! Deliciously fruity green tea paired with gingery, spicy tea cakes. With a red musk gently entwining all of this, making it smell so delightfully exotic. This is AMAZING, and it makes me hope Beth has more bizarre dreamscapes littering her astral plane.

Oooh, yummy! I think I'm getting more red currant than blueberry... and the tea is in there as well. So far, very little vanilla, but I did get a whiff of ginger - which is quite dry and unsweet on me - and maybe a little hint of coriander, and these keep it from being uber-fruity-sweet. I am not a huge red musk fan - it doesn't turn vile on me, but I don't love it to pieces - and so far I'm not really getting any from this, though I think it might be grounding the fruit and giving it some backbone.

It does have a kind of surreal and irrelevant vibe, though, because it's a kind of crazy combination on me - I agree with the Mad Tea Party comparisons; it's kind of surreal in a light-hearted way.

I have to wear it a bit longer to figure out if it's really me, but it is a great scent that captures its concept amazingly well.

ETA: Holy moly, is this stuff STRONG! I put a dab on my wrist and was surrounded by throw, and the next morning I can still smell it with ease, and that never happens with me.

Edited by Anna D.

This scent is not irrelevant or disturbing, but holy HELL it's Surreal!!!!!!!!

It starts out with juicy just-picked blueberries, with a crisp, fresh undertone from the tea and ginger, and a hint of creaminess from the vanilla. The red currant swirls in and eventually dominates the berry note, and the tea also becomes more front-and-center at this point.

This reminds me of the red currant in Eat Me, just without the cake note (which I found to be a tad cloying on me). I'm also reminded of Gennivre, with the tea sweetened with berry rather than sweetened with honey. I love how the ginger keeps Crawdad from being sickly sweet, it's really a wonderfully balanced fragrance!

porcelina, I know exactly what raspberry hard candies you are talking about, and I totally get that impression as well! They're called La Vie Les Framboises Raspberry Hard Candy, I used to love them when I was little!

51B5RCDKTHL._SL110_.jpg

Just a beautiful perfume, and unfortunately for my swaps and wallet, it's another shining star in the kick-ass Sturgeon Moon update! And I'm keepin' it : -)

4.7 out of 5

In the bottle-blueberries and ginger. I'm happy about this. I love both!

Wet-sharp and bright, the red currants come to the top with a smack. Also good.

Dry-it mellows into a sweet almost powdery scent with the vanilla, carnation and red musk coming out.

I like this one. I'm not sure yet if I love it, but it is growing on me. I'll be wearing it often. I can't wait to try this one on a crisp fall day. I think it will be perfect.

In the bottle it smelled like fruit and ... fish? No, but something aquatic. That might just be the power of suggestion, though.

On, it went to mixed fruit lifesavers immediately, and then with a touch of extra tangy lime and... Deep Woods Off?? :P O skin chemistry mine, why art thou on crack?

We'll see what it morphs into next. Gonna be a wild ride, it looks like.

I got a LOT of red currant and blueberry initially, candy-like, but as it settled down on my skin, I got a much tamer, almost grassy scent coming out too. I think it must be the tea, and maybe the spices +/- benzoin. It dried down further to an even "drier" scent than I expected, not so juicy, but still sweet and spicy, which was really quite nice. I am not overpowered by vanilla, which can dominate in many BPALs I've tried, and the red musk doesn't dominate either. (even though I like red musk, I feel like I have enough of it).

I would say it's still a little bit fruity for my daily wear, but I do think it's a beautiful scent. And blueberry is fun! I only tested a tiny bit on the crook of my elbow too, so I think I may retest with more on various other parts and see if it develops any differently.

ETA: This scent does really well on me for about 4 hours. Really gorgeous. Then something shifts, and I get a really cloying, sickly drydown. :P Not sure what to do about this.

Edited by Pika

In the bottle I get bright happy fruit with a little dab of vanilla. I do love the Lab fruit blends! Wet on my it slemms just like fresh blueberries enough to make me want to nibble on my arm. Or at least go in to the freezer and get the blueberries there. After a while it changes still light but the gigner comes out and makes me think of Pele. Like a nice tropical bech with a drink in my hand. :P That's all I can say

I have been eagerly awaiting my bottle of this and today... it arrived.

In the bottle: Blueberry! Tea! Ginger! Coriander. It's lovely. Definitely an interesting, fun, bizzare scent.

Wet: Oh WOW. This is wonderful. The currant comes out. There's a lot of notes that are too well blended to pick out but it's just... :P

Dry: Blueberry calms down and melds with the ginger. The currant seems to go more into the background. A more green scent joins in too. I'm supposing that is the squash blossom. The imagery with this is very strong -- it does indeed remind me of my dreamscape. The colors I'm getting from this are hazy blues and purples streaked with teal and green with a mad dash of orange from the coriander. It smells, for lack of a better term, trippy. The coriander could calm down a bit, but, that's the only criticism I can find.

Overall this is a fun, quirky, strange scent, that puts a crooked grin on my face. I can see it being a spring or summer scent for some -- but for me this is a year round!

A new favorite for me -- this is definitely more of a perfumey fruit than a foody one. I'm finding myself sad I didn't get multiples of this.

Rating:

5 out of 5 human faced crawdads.

In the imp: Sharp, fruity, tea ginger currant blueberry. It's all there =o

Wet on skin: Blueberry perks, the "sharp" in the first sniff is gone, and a musk presents itself. It's sweet and light. Fruity and juicy.

Drying: As it dries, the fruity notes (currant, blueberry) get replaced by darker notes (musk, vanilla). Not right away of course. The pathway of drying is delicious and balanced. Fruity, moist, quirky, and beautiful. The blueberries are fresh and delicious. However, I don't really detect a green tea except when wet. I wonder if I truly know what it smells like o.O

I don't know so many notes. Coriander, squash blossom. Both mysteries to me. And my family (I tried and asked but no luck). However, everyone I've had sniff has liked it (And we have hugely different likes). Everyone seems to pick out different notes, and enjoys different aspects. But this is just a stunning scent.

As MORE time passes (hours and hours...) it becomes a warm lush scent (sniffing wrist, of course) of muskyness and vanilla with a light dusting of gingery spice.

Overall: While I try to pick out notes to help along the review, it's honestly a perfect harmonious blend. Finding each note is difficult, fun, and unnecessary. This is a full-bodied, well rounded scent, well-blended scent. With such strange ingredients I thought it would be wacky and abstract, but actually comes together beautifully and solidly. (Although very unique, and strange, but beautiful)

I'm SO glad I decided to buy this scent. It was my first bottle-buy ever, and I'm certainly not regretting it at all. I don't tend to like fruity scents as an everyday wear. I'm a patchouli or leather person. But this is just an absolutely PERFECT fruity, girly scent for me. It starts out light and silly, and ends up warm and sensual on the late-late drydown. I'm more than happy. -cuddles her bottle-

Now if I had only had the guts to buy more than one bottle...

Edited by CaffinatedAngel

IRRELEVANT AND DISTURBING SURREAL CRAWDAD DREAM:

In Bottle: Tea and fruit loops

On Skin: This has an extreme fruit note... the blue berry and re currant obviously. The green tea comes out next... so now it smells like fruity tea. The vanilla and benzoin give a nice sweet depth. The ginger and coriander give the blend a spicy tone. The scent is very playful, and I LOVE the inspiration.... Beth has the best sense of humor. It is bright, juicy and full of color. I still get a bit of the Fruit Loop feel, but I love it and will wear it when I need spunk and color in my day. Strong throw and medium to long wearlength.

HOLY HECKS

This is... wow. Wow.

Wow.

So, in the bottle there's a deep, dark, devious blueberry smell lurking around, biding its time. Waiting. Plotting.

Once it hits my skin, BLAMMO! Blueberry Skittles! Betcha didn't see that coming, didya, punk!?! (You totally did, though. But it's way better than you were expecting.)

This period lasts, all fizzly good, for about a minute and a half, and then the red musk saunters up sweetly and gets the blueberry to calm the heck down, already. The vanilla and benzoin are there, too, just chillin', while green tea and ginger are adding a lighthearted zing to the atmosphere of the room. They have such sparkling personalities. Squash blossom is kind of an unknown quantity, hanging out in the corner, not saying too much, sipping its drink and not getting on anyone's nerves. I suspect it is the coriander that made me think "Mm, lemony!" 10 minutes into my first test. Coriander is all about the slightly feisty citrus (I have a crush on coriander because of this.)

All in all, IADSCD is like a diverse group of wacko friends that somehow manages to meld together seamlessly, so you couldn't imagine them apart. And if one of them were missing, it just wouldn't be the same. Oh, also, this group of friends smells FREAKING INCREDIBLE.

I await the drydown of magical vanilla-musk deliciousness. (They're like the two philosophical friends who stay well past everyone else's departure, too absorbed in discussing the literary themes in the novels of Haruki Murakami to go to bed for God's sake. It's 3 in the morning! But they just keep at it. Because they are awesome.)

Oh god, blueberry pie filling. A BIG CAN OF REALLY GOOD BLUEBERRY PIE FILLING. Not snuck in spoonfulls out of a can in the fridge, though, oh no. Hotted up and dumped all over your naked wiggling self in an orgy of syrupy bliss and rolled around on the kitchen floor in while the blueberries go POP POP POP under you.

HNAAANHG.

There's other stuff in this. I know there's other stuff in this. I just don't care.

Lobster Rating

better than: running through a flock of pigeons

In the bottle: Lots of lovely blueberry candy, something sharp and clean (the tea?), and a hint of flowers.

Wet: No! Go away soap, go away! *sob*

Drydown: This turns into a perfectly lovely blend, the soapiness fades away and leaves a crisp, clean blend that reminds me of freshly laundered linens with flower petals pressed between the sheets. But that sweet blueberry candy scent never comes back, and that's what I really wanted. Wahhh. I hate you, body chemistry.

This was so much fun to wear! Lately it seems that I've gotten into the habit of wearing things that are heavy and complex, so I was definitely up for a little wackiness. The notes in Crawdad Dream arrive in stages: at first, I got a cheerful fruity smell that reminded me of Fruit Rollups (that must have been the currant), then a gingery red musk phase (not my favorite, to be honest), and at last sweet green tea. While this didn't last very long, it smells so good that I don't care. If you like sweet and fruity scents, you must try this.

4.5/5

First sniff in the bottle was blueberry, but when I put it on it turned to soft, slightly powdery, vanilla musk with a touch of fruitiness. I'm not sure if the powdery part is me turning the musk powdery, or if that's just the way I interpret it. This scent makes me feel wise and womanly (although it would work on a man too, I'd think), but also a bit silly. In a good way :P

Edited by ErinZ

This has a very blue and tart blueberry note at the top of the bottle, but as the oil dries and settles I get more of a red currant and tea vibe with the blueberry slathered around those. For a moment or two I get an almost blueberry pastry sort of impression, possibly from the way the currant and tea mingle with the blueberry and vanilla.

This is really soft and fuzzy. It's not a sharp fruity or juicy scent to me. I get more of a diffuse tea and fruit with little hints of herb, spice, and floral... subtle, though! Very, very subtle.

I find this to be a bit chaotic and sweet, but lovely and fun and delightful. Definitely keeping a bottle of this!