Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hackess

Chaos Theory IV: Edge of Chaos

CCCXIV: Sweet buttery cream, touch of orange zest and honey cakes. This one is super foodie and smells like a better version of Eat Me. Are there currants in this as well?

DCCXCIX (799)

Previous review by stellans:

http://www.bpal.org/topic/47311-chaos-theory-iv-edge-of-chaos/?p=1212571

My review:

Clean musk with a hint of vanilla, a hint of citrus. I get the ozone vibe stellans mentions. She was reminded of Twisted Oak Tree, but I am reminded of November, lighter and sweeter. It's really nice and I like it a lot. Very clean and sometimes too close to soapy but there are times I'm in the mood for this kind of thing.

Testing through my stash, so I am finally putting up a review for this one.

DCXCIX (699)

Starts out a lovely lemon and cream - sharp but sweet with a musky undertone.

Once it starts to dry, the lemon backs way off and I get a rich floral coming forward - my nose says rose, but the Lab's rose note never works on me and this stays lovely and true. It's possibly peony, but that doesn't seem quite right either.

The ultimate drydown is a beautiful rose (or peony, or ??) and apple. Really quite pretty, but just not something I can see myself wearing often.

I am being ruthless with my culling, so off to swaps it goes.

MXLVII (1047)

Whoa. Holy scent memory, Batman! Fresh out of the bottle, this positively threw me back to my childhood, visiting my grandparents in North Carolina. I don't know why it does, but I have never before had such a vivid scent memory. Crazy! It starts out with a candy sweetness, but overlaid on top of a musky earthy note. I cannot for the life of me pick out an individual note in this one yet.

As it dries, I can start to pick out a hint of vanilla. The sweetness fades fast and I get more musky earth and a hint of spice that I almost recognize. Possibly clove, because it's starting to sour, though it doesn't seem quite spicy enough for clove.

Ultimate drydown: I'm pretty sure it's carnation. I also get something kind of woodsy. Another pretty one that just isn't something I will wear enough to justify keeping, even for the initial scent-inspired trip to the past.

CCXLI (241)

Previous reviews can be found on pages 6, 11, 12, and 14.
A friend gifted me with a TON of old imps, and this is one of them.
So, nine years later, we've still got a sweet cake batter smell. Maybe a touch of dry cocoa, but nothing I could have named without the previous reviews. I can also smell the Fruit Loops/dry fruit smell that was mentioned earlier. A touch of powder at this point. Nothing I'll be keeping.

Previously reviewed.

DCXCIX (699)

Lemon, sweet, but not candylike. Drydown does go a bit floral, with an herb in the background.

Coming back to this again.

Wet: it smells like a sweet wit beer. Or a saison. There's an element of a sweet Belgian yeast in here.

Drydown: Lemon, which comes out more and gets sweeter. Kinda starts morphing into a lemon butter cookie.

Dry: low-key lemon cookie

Edited by Carrie

CCCXX=320

Two previous reviews can be found earlier, mentioning coconut and a tropical feel, a scent that would be at home in the Tiki Lounge. Nine years later, and this is rose. That's about it. *Maybe* a little sweetness from coconut, but nothing that I could pick up and identify before reading the reviews.

CCCXCIV

This one was frimped to me in a swap, but I couldn't find a review for it in this thread.

In the decant: Fruity hard candy with an herbal undertone and possibly a floral component.

That was my first impression. Subsequent sniffing has made me think of banana Laffy Taffy!

Wet: Okay, this reminds me of hard apple candy (like a Jolly Rancher) that was dropped in a pile of herbs, with some banana Laffy Taffy in the background. As the scent begins to dry, the banana aspect disappears, but the herb-covered apple candy continues to reign.

Dry: Apple candy, herbs, and a floral I am not able to identify.

Verdict: Curiouser and curiouser! Not my jam, but I'm glad I got a chance to try it.

XCVII (97)

Wet: Lemon Pledge and candy. VERY strong on the lemon!

Dry: The astringent note giving me the Pledge vibe has dissipated. It's very much a candied lemon scent, with some type of tropical floral note. I'm a big fan!

DCCCLX (860)

Wet: Fruit punch mixed with spices. Kind of like... an Autumn-appropriate fruit punch?

Dry: Pretty much the same as the wet stage, only I can smell the addition of lemon now.

The description sounds.. probably terrible, but I actually really enjoy this!

CCLXIII (263)

Previously reviewed on page 4, 12 years ago. A friend gave me half a decant, and here we are.

It's a soft lemon that has nothing to do with cleansers. Maybe it is lemon grass? I can see something like amber in here to soften it up and almost make it a little powdery. Minimal throw.

CMXXXV (935):

The notes from my source of this blend were "pink musk, lotus, like a Shunga". YUM.

In the bottle, I can kinda see this! It has a sandalwood kind of calmness, definitely a bubble-gum pink bubble of lotus, and...something chemical. Er.... let's try it and see where this goes.

Wet, the chemical note amps. I can't place it at all. It's a little hair-developer, to be honest. That strong blast of chemicals whose names you can't pronounce and probably don't want to know the long-term side effects of. I still get the lotus, I don't get the pink musk, and I guess I get some moss because this is going a little in the fougere direction. (Not a fan of the colognes in general.)

The more this dries down, the more I'm associating the chemicals with...anise. A black licorice that is not playing nicely with the lotus. I mean, can you imagine cramming a Double Bubble and a Red Vines black licorice piece in your mouth and chewing? Oof. It's very, very interesting, a wholly unique experience, but I've repeated it twice and I'm not anxious to try it again. I like anise in the right settings, but for me, this is not the collection of notes I'm most comfy with. 

CCCXXVIII (328)

The oil in my decant is as yellow as the green tea in the mug next to me.

The blend smells really orange though - floral, slightly fruity, a bit sour or astringent as well (I have to think of nail polish remover somehow).

There is a "metallic" note that I usually get with violet or cucumber for some reason - it's similar to the one I can smell in Tortue Queen.

There could be some brown musk or maybe ambrette seed in this one - something that smells a bit vegetal, tart, even iffy... it's hard to describe.

As notes go, I have to agree with another person who described the same scent in this thread (fairynymph): There may be chrysantemum in this blend. But it could be another yellow or orange flower. Marigold perhaps?

There is something in here that's sweet but also flat - you know, like a fresh glass of soda that went stale and warm in the sun.

I am not sure I smell lemon, lime, yuzu, kumquat, orange or garpefruit in this blend - it's just that it smells fruity without giving away any clear fruit note. It's not guava, strawberry, cherry, or watermelon either. Argh, nose, come on! Aha, I think this could be apricot orp each! They always turn really sweet and flat on my skin - and remind me of hand soap in public toilets (school, university, rest stops).

During drydown ,I do get a bit of a "fresh sweat" note, that's why I was thinking of the ambrette seed before.

The floral-fruit mix stays pretty one-dimensional, as no note is standing out as super unique in this blend. It's all just mushed together somehow. Interesting journey, but it's doesn't smell super exciting to me.

Edited by Honey

CXIX (119)

Wet: Sweet and smokey. I smell clove for certain, maybe some opium, and a touch of something a tad brighter, in a golden direction. It's sexy and slinky.

Drydown: Stronger in the opium direction, with perhaps a bit of sandalwood and church incense joining in? Still sweet, smokey, sexy, and slinky like the wet stage, but it's now expanding into exotic and atmospheric territory too. 

Dry: I think this is opium, clove, and frankincense, possibly with some other spices, woods (rosewood possibly), and/or resins rounding it out (maybe carnation too??). It's cozy, smokey, sweetly spicy, and so very good.

8.5 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

LLLXXXI - Woods? a mix of herbs and spices, the green spices taking the upper hand. A smidge of tobacco somewhere in the background, and a white floral twirling it's way upward and to the front as it dries down.