Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hackess

Chaos Theory IV: Edge of Chaos

Each bottle of Chaos Theory is truly unique, a fragrant fractal, and exercise in the joy of chance and uncertainty! Each is a one-of-a-kind, utterly random combination of scents, the composition of which is based on whim, mood and gut instinct.

CCCI (301)
[previous review]
Def get the chocolate and bourbon vanilla the other reviewer smelled. Also smells like CCXCII. Sort of like Tootsie Rolls. There's more of a cookie smell in it. Milk chocolate and cookie.

CCCXVI (316)
[previous review]
At first this is fruity, and reminds me strongly of something that I just can't place. Sadly as it begins to dry I detect a soapiness. On second try, that could be some sort of nut maybe. Third try: maybe there's boozy in here. Kind of boozy fruitcake smell. As it dries there is some floral, tropical perhaps, something like vanilla flower maybe. On dry it is gingery with a slight boozy-buttery aspect and a creamy floral.

CCCXVIII (318)
[previous reviews]
[Person I got it from said: "strong! spicy, cloves? something astringent, too. definitely astringent/antiseptic/herbal, almost ... witch hazely? i don't even know what that smells like but that's what comes to mind. harsh, sharp, sort of menthol cinnamon? starts to smell better in the air, definitely some cinnamon and other spices: DARK. In vial, smells like maybe burnt clove, something medicinal; reminds me of one of those smoky Salons. On: hot, smoky, scorched, spicy. Maybe incense or something resinous, but I don't wear much of those so I'm bad at picking them out. Cinnamon - maybe cinnamon bark? - definitely clove, but the bitter or smoked or scorched kind, not the sweet kind, and heat; it's actually kind of sexy in a sweating-in-high-summer kind of way. Definitely smoky. A pass for me; it tickles my throat a bit. Rather like clove cigarettes, really. Dark clove and smoke."]
Industrial smoke and ozone. Could be a Steamworks scent… it's dark and smoky with maybe a tinge of lubricating oil. As it dries the smoke pulls back and a little wood comes into the mix… and something just barely salty, like skin musk or sweat.. A masculine cologne-type scent.

CCXCII (292)
[previous review]
Chocolate definitely, dark boozy chocolate. This also smells like CCCI. I think this has wood also though. Maybe. Possibly booze. Boozy Tootsie Rolls. I also think I smell buttercream.

CCXLI (241)
[previous reviews]
[Person I got it from said: "In vial, first time: More weird creamy note. What IS that? It's sort of like cake batter, I swear. But then on the pipette, it smells like weird, sorta floral cake mix, another herbal note, just all around strange! Be interesting to see how it is on skin. Lemon-lavender batter? Second time, in vial: Still yellow cake and ... other stuff, with a hint of what I could swear is white pepper. On: Even more lemon cake-y than the other one I thought was lemon cake-y, but it still does give off an herbal aura that I do think is lavender. The herbals start to swirl up as it settles. Flirtatious suggestions of chocolate and pepper, still. God, I suck; someone's going to pin this right down, I know it. But to me it's sweet, a bit cake-y, herbal, hint of spice. Definitely a chocolate hint as it dries, I think. If there's anything floral left, it's very faint and hiding. (I could still smell this, faintly, the next morning, as a vanilla-tinged sweetness.)"]
The weird chocolate/Tootsie Roll note from a couple of the others. Only this time with something astringent. Bourbon vanilla? I don't know but this one is kind of odd on me and almost sickening.

CCXLII (242)
[previous review]
[Person I got it from said: "This is SO WEIRD. S'mores, bug spray, hint of orange? Black pepper and cocoa? J says tootsie rolls. Also kind of chocolate cake, the more i sniff it. Testing: Something foody and something that definitely reminds me of black pepper; there's a nose-tickling note in there. Weirdly spiced Tootsie Rolls. I cannot get any more specific than that! It's impossible! :) It reminds me of the very edges of a cake when you just pull it from the oven and it's been in just a tiny bit too long - a suggestion of singed, baked chocolate and batter. Cake impression gets stronger as I wear it. Appealing in its oddness, but I'm not totally in love. Is there something raisiny about this, or am I totally nuts?"]
Pretty similar to CCXLI on me… bug spray Tootsie Roll. Hmph.

CMII (902)
[Person I got it from said: "Crisp-clean lemonade and an undercurrent of vanilla icing. Kind of reminds me, also, of those iced-tea/lemonade blends. Actually I might amend the initial description to iced tea and frosting, or lemon poppyseed cakes with sugar glaze. Seriously. This smells amazing in the bottle. And - can it be? - even better as soon as it hits my skin. Frosted lemon cake, for the most part. Those yellow bundt cakes I used to buy from the cafe down the street in the summer of 1997. The iced tea suggestion comes back out as it settles in, though, which is nice."]
Lemon poppyseed cakes seems about right. Some breezy citrus and a bit of creamy sweetness like an icing glaze. And yeah, something a bit sharp/clean that is almost tea-like [because tea goes badly on me]. Tea and lemon poppyseed cakes with glazed icing.

Chaos Theory IV: DXIX:

Seller's description: Hard to pin down; to me it's dark red, a little fruity, heavy; a hint of booze, a sprinkle of powdered sugar, a spice I can't put my finger on, and something resiny/incensey AND a whiff of a floral, but not a perfumey one. Mostly spicy/smoky, but not woodsmoke; scented smoke. Somewhat masculine and a little bit clean and polished when dry; the fruit/floral disappears.

For me: Dark red, with a pleasant sweetness. Gets rather soapy, but I can detect the shiny resin under the soap.

Previously reviewed by scotchbonnet.

coffee, but not mocha frappuccino-- rain forest coffee beans covered in some sort of sweet resin/sap almost too sweet, but balanced by the coffee.

CCCLXIV - 364

In the bottle: Very pale yellow oil. Flowers and greenery, quite soapy. Grass, wildflowers, and a hint of something sweet and woody.

Wet: Softer, sweeter, less green and grassy - though there is still a sort of floral spiciness to this, like nasturtium or carnation. The sweetness is like honey or wine. Still very soapy clean.

Dry: Heather, clover. Maybe some orchid - this reminds me of The Phantom Queen. The wood is coming out now more, it's a little dusty. I'm getting a citrusy note - verbena, though it's light.

Later: Going more sweet, almost caramel...I think it's beeswax. I'm also getting some daisy, and I think one of the soapy florals is moonflower. More sweet and woody, less floral/green with time.

Summary: Caramel-sweet beeswax, heather, clover, light verbena and other sweet green herbs, spicy, clean wildflowers and oak wood on the final drydown. Some (white?) musk, too. Great throw and lasting power. Fairly unisex.

CDV - 405

In the bottle: Light yellow, Chardonnay coloured. Buttery-foody. Sparkly, too. Alcohol note, maybe. Tonka, citrus. Sweet-tart.

Wet: Something spicy. A little powdery. Juicy lemon. A cake note, pound cake/buttery. Almost a little nutty.

Dry: Some white floral (gardenia, I think), and the powder has a warmth - amber. The spice note is clove. The lemon holds.

Summary: Baked lemon-glazed spice cake with creamy amber and gardenia.

CDXXVIII - 428

In the bottle: Warm, beigey-yellow colour. Sweet, fruity, dark. Grapes or wine, incense. Bubblegum ( = lotus).

Wet: Less sweet, more floral. Definitely lotus, but something soapy too - jasmine? This HEADY. Also, a honey or honey-like note (benzoin? styrax?). Champagne/white grapes. Still vaguely incensey.

Dry: Even sweeter. Benzoin, lotus, jasmine. Maybe a touch of smoky myrrh. Grapey-note is fainter.

CDXXIX - 429

In the bottle: Honey coloured oil. Sweet, dark, fruity wine and/or grapes. Bubblegum, candy. A hint of cola-ish snake oil. Resins.

Wet: Softer, sweeter, and a bit foody. Still sort of winey-liquery, in a syrupy way. Berries of some sort. Something richly, languidly floral.

Dry: Sweet, faintly berried incense. Raspberry, oak or mahogany, resin. Doesn't morph after initial drying.

MCCXXIV - 1224

In the bottle: Bright amber-coloured oil. Citrus - lemon or verbena, possibly grapefruit, it's very zesty - and sweet, deep woods. Something incensey.

Wet: Lemon verbena, and what smells like bourbon vanilla - sweet, a little boozy, rich, slightly foody. The wood is something deep and smooth, like teak - quite yummy. And I get a hint of something like copal, resiny-smoky.

Dry: This is making me nauseated (the verbena/vanilla combo is VERY strong and this is not a vanilla that likes me). Must wash off.

MCCXXVI - 1226

In the bottle: Extremely pale, nearly colourless yellow. Slightly sweet and herbal; woodsy, mildly soapy. Masculine and somewhat medicinal.

Wet: My friend says 'Smells like Pert'. Thyme, basil, something citrusy. Sweeter, soapier, and quite strong. Verbena. Something grassy/stemmy. Cologney. And herbal sweetness that's maybe fennel or anise.

Dry: Frankincense adds sweetness. and makes this darker, almost incensey. Seems to amp over time. The woody note is birch or oak. Reminds me loads of Odin.

Summary: Woody, sweet, slightly smoky, soapy cologne on final drydown. Oak, frankincense, and something slightly spicy.

MCCXXVII - 1227

In the bottle: Light yellow coloured oil. Sweet and herbal, woody. Slightly smoky. Honey, vanilla, copal. Reminds me of some Beltane 08.

Wet: Still mostly sweet, more smoky, incense, a hint of spice. Less green-fresh. Powdery hint of amber.

Dry: Smokier and warmer; still very sweet.

Summary: Final dry down is copal, honey, vanilla, and amber. A smoky version of O.

MCCLXVI - 1266

In the bottle: Bright yellow coloured oil. Sweet, citrusy, tropical, creamy. Coconut, bubblegum. 'Pink' smelling.

Wet: Very suddenly intense lemon and flowers. Creamy white coconut still there. Maybe a berry that's giving the sweet bubblegum scent, and/or lotus.

Dry: Ahh, that lemon note is lemongrass! And definitely there is lotus of some type. Coconut still, and some davana.

Later: Some sort of warm, delicious wood is coming out, teak or mahogany. There's a powdery edge of amber, and some pineapple fruit, too.

Summary: Creamy coconut, tropical fruits, lemongrass, davana, lotus, amber, and rich warm woods. Sweet-tart and feminine.

Note: Despite 'in the bottle' I do not actually have any bottles of these scents. I was sent sniffies to evaluate.

Edited by fairnymph

MCCXL

This one is sweet and a bit candyish, with a whisper of mint and what may be the freshness of cucumber. It's very, very soft, and fades a bit as the day goes on. But it does stay very pretty throughout.

~DLXV (565)~

On me this smells like wood and lime, I love it!! On my sister it turns to JASMINE, lol. She amps jasmine like nothing else.

Previously reviewed by fairnymph.

MXVIII: I received a decant of this as a frimp today and am very pleasantly surprised. Typically, I love the 'unexpected' element of Chaos Theories, but they tend not to love me.

In the imp, this strikes me as lush tropical flowers and fruit. I think I smell cherry? Maybe jasmine? It's a strange combination but a likeable one. This one actually made it onto my skin - rare for a Chaos Theory. :P

After a few minutes, something very tart emerges - grapefruit? Orange, maybe? Whatever it is, it's brightly citrus, in the refreshing way of a newly-opened fruit.

Finally, some spices come out to play - I get some clove and maybe nutmeg in this. What started off smelling like a tropical wonderland suddenly ends as a sweet, lovely holiday pomander. The way holiday spice should smell. The way I always want pomanders and mulling spices and potpourri to smell.

My only complaint is that this fades almost in the time that it takes me to type the review. It hugs my skin very closely and goes away all too soon in a haze of warm, comforting spices. It's a really lovely fragrance, and if this were released with a Yule update, I would at least buy a decant if not an entire bottle.

Previously reviewed by Dark Alice.

This was frimped to me, and I do not see any number. In the imp, it is coconutty, with a bit of wood and a touch of floral. On me, the notes stick around for awhile in that order, then the woods take over with some added warmth, which I'm guessing is the coconut taking the background. This kind of reminds me of Death Adder a bit, without the snake oil, and more wood. Overall, it is just a little too perfumey for me (some woods tend to do that to me), and I'll most likely pass this one on.

I'm not sure what the number for this blend is, but it appears to end in XIV (a leaky decant, so the number is half run off). I do know that it smells just like fresh, zingy limes and honey. It also smells a bit sparkling & bubbly. I've kept my decant because my boy really likes the lime, but it's a little too simple for me (and citrus + honey always makes me think of cough drops).

~DLXV (565)~

On me this smells like wood and lime, I love it!! On my sister it turns to JASMINE, lol. She amps jasmine like nothing else.

Sweetie666 swapped this bottle with me.

It's funny, because I get the initial bubblegum rush of lotus (though I think there's a wood in Ochosi that smells like bubblegum to me) and then a blooming of narcissus, then maybe some other white floral (perhaps you're right about the jasmine) with a gentle white musk or sandalwood base. Very pretty. Good for spring.

CCCLXV (365)

Interesting... in the imp and wet, I am picking up caramel, but it's got something in it that is cutting the sweetness. When it dries, it loses the caramel and turns herbal. Am I smelling rosemary??

Previously reviewed by Aerinha.

• Chaos Theory IV: DXXXVII.

Seller described it as "tropical Skittles," fruity and candyish and spicy.

To me, it smells fruity-fresh in the bottle but like freshly cut grass when it dries on my skin. It is lovely for Springtime.

These were all testers given to me by cheshirecat. I believe she owns the bottles

CDIX - 409

In the Decant: a soft, sweet fruit note (my guess would be guava), cantaloupe, and tart tangerine

Wet on Skin: tart tangerine, guava???(fading), cantaloupe, and watermelon, and a faint tart lemon note

Dry: cantaloupe, watermelon, tart tangerine, tart lemon, cherry blossom, and a faint aquatic note. As this scent progresses, the lemon and the tangerine fade, while the cherry blossom gets stronger

CDIX - 409

In the (half) bottle: Sweet, light fruit. Orange fruits, and maybe a hint of something buttery. Tonka? Fresh and tropical. Reminds me of Lover's Parodies of Sumo Holds.

Wet: Still that citrus note (mandarin?), some cantaloupe melon, and yes, some tonka - though it's light. And ginger! Red ginger, zesty and fizzy. And a tropical floral - pikaki?

Dry: Increasingly spicy. The tonka-ginger combo reminds me greatly of Gingerbread Poppet (or Shub-Niggurath) except this isn't quite as foody, and has that light fruity-tropical-floral twist. Cherry blossom, too.

Later: There's almost a salty tang, like an oceanic blend? But it's very light and not at all soapy. I'm reminded of Tissue's drydown after several hours, so I think it's the salty gardenia. Either the ginger has gone woody, or there's golden/red sandalwood in this.

Summary: Creamy (either vanilla or tonka), spicy, sparkling, fruity, lightly sweet and floral. Asiatic-Tropical in feel. Mandarin, cantaloupe, red ginger, tonka, pikaki, very well behaved gardenia, cherry blossom, and some warm, dry wood.

It's just a tad too warm and spicy for my tastes. It's definitely a morpher, becoming more floral over time.

Edited by fairnymph

DCVII

I got this from Supremegoddessofall. : ) She called it earthy and masculine, which I can agree with.

At first I was calling this 'Deep Purple' because when I first tried it, it had an odd purple feel, but not fruity in the slightest, and not really floral either. Now that I've had it for a few months, it's not quite as 'purple' as I thought, although there is still a slightly purple feeling when I smell it.

SO.....what does it smell like?

It's kind of gritty, sooty, dusty, and also dusky. It has a dark/night-time mood. I think there is vetiver, and it kind of reminds me of a toned-down On Darkness, without the sweetness/fruitiness of that scent. This one is really hard to pin down, but I like it a lot. It's possible there is some patchouli, too.

I think there could be something planty, maybe pine, because at times it reminds me of Jolasveinar. I still don't know what that purple note is, but it fades in and out of the blend. Far into the dry-down, I think I can detect vetiver. At this point it's reminding me of Devil's Claw, a little bit. I wish I could describe this better, I know I'm not doing it justice! : )

DCCCLVI - 806

In the bottle: Fresh fruit and clean soapy greenery. A little citrusy, maybe a little tropical. Slightly grassy - green tea, I'd bet.

Wet: Brighter, greener, tarter. Zesty citrus! White grapefruit and maybe a bit of lime peel, too. Possibly an aquatic note that's giving the soapy (but not too soapy) feel.

Dry: Dries almost instantly. I'm getting some sort of exotic, juicy fruit. Pineapple, maybe? Also, it's going rapidly musky. I'm guessing an ocean aquatic note because this is salty.

Later: Definitely green tea. And this has really sweetened up with the musk and fruit. I get something like red currant, tart and juicy but definitely red.

Summary: White musk, green tea, white grapefruit, lime peel, salt spray, pineapple and maybe a teensy bit of red currant. Fresh, bright, and clean. Low throw, decent longevity.

CCCXXXVII (337)

On application, a very strong cocoa note is present. I detect a brief whiff of mint and then it turns to melon. Very interesting... very nice!

XXI - 21

Previous review here.

In the bottle: Rose, slightly soapy, clean herbs and something sort of mentholic and fresh - myrtle? Overall the scent has a pleasantly medicinal scent, like a good aromatherapy blend, on top of the floral rose.

Wet: Similar, but with a strong, deep resin/woods undercurrent and more herbs. There's definitely something incensey. It's odd, because this is both light and dark in feel. The myrtle is quite lemony, but in a pleasant herbal way that isn't PLEDGE DOOM.

Dry: The rose here is the rose that to me registers as sour - white rose, as in Katrina Van Tassel. However, it's sweeter and rounder dry on my skin. Wet, it had more of that tang reminiscent of hay absolute. The incense/resins seem to have amped; they're slightly sweet and earthy...frankincense and patchouli?

Later: This smells like a specific brand of soap I have used, some sort of speciality soap - though it's not a SOAPY scent. It's clean, and the soap thing is more of an association. A faintly powdery, almost creamy warmth suggests amber, and a fresh dryness indicates sandalwood.

Summary: White rose, (lemon) myrtle, frankincense, patchouli, sandalwood and amber. Sort of like The Cup of Death crossed with The Empress and a little Katrina Van T thrown in. Unisex to feminine. White rose and I don't get along, alas, so off to swaps with the bottle.

;)

MCLXI (1161):

In Bottle: Sweet, candylike, like sugared berries.

Wet on Skin: Still sweet, but more tempered, but with the addition of a cotton candy-like scent. And a sweet candied floral edge. It's fading a bit.

Drying on Skin: Emerging into a more "masculine" fragrance with a hint of light woods and a watery, light sugary aroma nestled in the background.

Dried on Skin: A sweet, floral feminine scent, lightly sugary but with a definite deeper masculine edge. Quite interesting actually, and it works, despite its "gender" contrast. Like a cool meld of a popular men's fragrance and a sugar-dipped sweet flower.

CDXIII - 413

Sniffed: Juicy, bright fruit. Reminds me of the Chinese New Year scents - sort of Asiatic. Melon and blossoms? Also a slightly creamy note that reminds me of Cheshire Moon - maybe banyan fruit? Pink grapefruit, too.

Wet: Sweeter and more foody. TONKA (gah, why, why!) lends a buttery edge.This is a really gorgeous, juicy-sweet, not sour grapefruit note. The (honeydew) melon is quite watery, almost aquatic. Spicier - ah, carnation.

Dry: Definitely Asian and Lunar in feel. A little cherry blossom. Yeah, it has that sort of figgy banyan fruit, too, which has amped and become richer so that this reminds me a bit of Carnal in combo with the juicy citrus. I get the same 'candied melon' note from Earth Rat.

Later: The tonka has faded greatly, and some gardenia has emerged and is amping.This is much creamier, now - loads of carnation and more cherry blossom. Less grapefruit. And suddenly...rich white musk.

Summary: Cherry blossom, carnation, candied melon, pink grapefruit, banyan fruit, gardenia, white musk, and a splash of tonka. Earth Rat crossed with Cheshire Moon, and a little bit of gardenia thrown in. The drydown is gorgeous, but the tonka stage might be a dealbreaker. To re-test.

CDXXII - cantaloupe candy. I've had these weird asian chewy cantaloupe candies, and this smells exactly like that. Weird, and neat! Not really my thing, so I won't try it on. Off to the swap pile.

I'm wondering if I mis-wrote this on my decant label, as it sounds rather like CDXXIII .... hmm. :/

MCLXXIX - 1179

Previous review here.

Sniffed: Citrusy lemon, light woods, lots of green herbs (thyme, for sure), something spicy-tangy. Clean and unisex to masculine.

Wet: Much more herbal-green. Thyme galore, as well as something minty and a little geranium. The lemon is lemon peel, not verbena. Very cool and fresh, with a burnished metal note, think Phoenix Steamworks or No. 93 Engine.

Dry: Even though it feels cool...there's an odd wamth - a sandalwood of some type, I believe, and that metal note which is shiny and golden and glowing, not cool or sharp. I'm pretty sure there is bergamot in here as well - slightly sweet. A slickness makes me think of motor oil, as a previous reviewer found.

Later: There's a dark note that's sexy - astringent and almost smoky -tobacco? This is going quite masculine, cologney. And also SUPER sexily musky - think Buck Moon or Robin Goodfellow. The minty note is slightly bittersweet - hyssop? I also get basil, and a tiny sliver of cumin.

Summary: Sort of as if Toad, No. 93 Engine, and Dr. Edward Hyde had an orgy. Definitely a very masculine scent. A bit cologney, a bit corrupt. Tangy motor oil and gold-tone metal with fresh, sweet green herbs, tobacco, dry woods, feral dark musk, and a hint of cumin. Great throw.

I like it, though it's not really the sort of thing I can wear myself - too masculine. The cumin note bothers me a bit, and it's very smoky, but the motor oil, metal, musk and cologne notes are all love. Probably worth saving for menfolk.

Edited by fairnymph

CCCLV: 355

Sweet on application... there's something quite sharp in the background that ruins the candy-like sweetness on drydown. Meh.

CCXXXVIII - 238

Previous reviews here and here.

Sniffed: Sweet-tart juicy citrus - grapefruit and/or yuzu! - with herbs and resins.

Wet: I think it must be yuzu as well because the lab's grapefruit notes are never this strong. I'm reminded of Aizen-Myoo...although this has the herbal aspects like Croquet.

Dry: The citrus is fading a bit, and I detect some delicious, rich musk - I want to say purple musk, that musk from Penumbra? There's also a slightly incensey-woody note. It's an oddly warm, comforting scent.

Later: One of the herbs is...a gentle (but strong) sage? I get a somewhat masculine, cologney vibe. Also, some benzoin emerging, lightly. Oh...going to musk & oakmoss. Oh, hi premenstrual time!

Summary: Yuzu, pink grapefruit, sage, benzoin, purple musk, and oakmoss. The drydown reminds me a little of No. 93 Engine, but I think that's just the way my skin is during this time. Great throw!

I have to retest this in a few days, but I like it a lot! Unique, and one of the most long-lasting juicy citrus notes I've ever experienced. Other reviewers got lavender and tobacco as well as grapefruit, and I think those are possibilities, but my nose is being funky!

Edited by fairnymph