Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hackess

Chaos Theory IV: Edge of Chaos

Each bottle of Chaos Theory is truly unique, a fragrant fractal, and exercise in the joy of chance and uncertainty! Each is a one-of-a-kind, utterly random combination of scents, the composition of which is based on whim, mood and gut instinct.

DXII 512:

In bottle: Sweet, aftershavey, vaguely familiar. It smells rather like sea breeze with rich undertones. Wet: It’s reminding me a lot of both chuthulu and lightening. It’s definitely got a sea breeze/ozone thing going on. It has that floral edge a lot of the sea scents have, though it manages to stay reasonably androgynous. It might have a hint of linen, though if so, it’s not strong enough to annoy me. It is lighter and more floral than I’d choose for myself normally, but the scent is so appealing I may very well keep it. There is a faintly aftershave sort of scent to it. The whole thing makes me think of coming out of the shower after a swim in the sea and wrapping up in a freshly laundered towel. There are several elements that are hauntingly familiar, but I can’t separate them out of the stronger ones well enough to identify. It has a ton of throw, like the other Chaos Theory I tried. Dry: Much te same, a pleasant sea breeze/ozone scent.

Edge of Chaos- DCCI

Phwoah! This one is strong. Smelling it is akin to chomping down on the sugar-coated slice of lemon after downing a shot of vodka. Very bright.

On skin, it retains it's tart-ness with a hint of orange rounding it out. Definitely sticks around, decent throw. Unfortunately, citrus (particularly lemon) is just not my bag- I'm looking to find this one a nice happy home in swaps-ville.....

Edge of Chaos- MCCCIX? ..the numbers have sadly worn off...

Okay, as a forwarning my nose is not that highly trained...I will try to describe to my best abilities.

In bottle, I detect a whiff of marzipanish-ness with a background of some sort of floral (def not rose, carnation, violet). The oil is a deep, rich yellow color. Applied on skin, the marzipan fades...it seems more powdery. This is definitely a soft scent. I feel like there might be a soft musk in this as well? It reminds me of Antique Lace but without the vanilla. The scent fades a bit after a few hours and hovers close to the skin.

To sum up, I'd say a dreamily dusted floral. I like this better than my other Chaos, but I think I'd like to swap it, as I can't see myself reaching to wear this often enough.

Edited by sunflowereyes

CTIV: XVIII

In the bottle: frankincense! Maybe a bit of myrrh? It reminds me of a less smoky Midnight Mass.

Wet on skin: resins!! Beautiful glorious frankincense!

Dry on skin: oh, this is wonderful stuff. It reminds me of Midnight Mass, Meshkenet and maybe Valentine of Rome. It’s frankincense, and lots of it. not so much a burnt and smoky frank note, this is more like the pure resin. It reminds me a bit of the frankincense a friend brought back from Oman. Though there may also be some myrrh here too, and possibly either a musk note, or perhaps a floral or green note of some kind? Possibly a herbal myrrh, as this reminds me of Anubis as well. but this is exactly what I wished for in CT-a resinous scent.

After a while: the scent loses that sharpness from before, becomes darker, smokier, now it’s got a hint of burning to it, it also smells dusty and desert-y. It’s still heavy on the frankincense but now I think I smell more myrrh, a slightly bitter myrrh with a smoky darkness to it. I think there may be galbanum in here now, that explains the greenish resin scent, and I think there may also be some spikenard in here too. It also reminds me of a frankincense-heavy version of Blasphemare Reliquary. There’s something almost Egyptian about this scent, maybe it’s resemblance to Meskhenet and Great Cry in Egypt is what makes me think that. It smells like dry crumbling and very ancient resin clinging to papyrus…indeed, the more I smell this, the more I am sure that there’s a papyrus note in here! It’s a light and papery-reedy scent over the dark moody resins. There’s even a hint of saltiness, which to me, evokes natron…

Verdict: I have half wondered if this is custom blended for me. I know it’s not, but this is the kind of CT I’ve been hoping and wishing to get for so long, I can’t believe I have got it in a bottle. This is a resin lover’s dream! It smells like all those wonderful incense scents all blended together. Frankincense and myrrh at their best! It starts off heavy on the frankincense, but then goes towards a myrrh-y scent, and then it goes into a stage which reminds me of those Egyptian scents I adore-scents like Meshkenet, Great Cry, Anubis etc-it even hints at smelling of desert sand, ancient stone, papyrus, mummy wrappings, it even smells old, aged and dusty, and golden. It’s not a sweet resin-I don’t smell amber here. It also smells predominantly like unburnt resin but there are hints of incense-burning resins too. I love this one, my favourite CT scent of all time I think…can’t wait to see what aging does to it.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Yes! CT is such a risk so I’m so glad I have a bottle that’s right up my street.

DCXIX

FINALLY.....the Chaos Theory I've been waiting for.....thanks supremegoddessofall!! By the way, here's her description: "Smells like cinnamony-incense with a lot of something earthy but also somehow clean-smelling." Breif and to the point, just enough to get me interested w/out giving away the details!

My impression of this scent.....well, it's an odd one. It has a toasty-warm element (I don't smell any cinnamon), but also a minty/frost/snowy element. The closest comparison I can think of is Jolasveinar (which I love), but it's really not like that scent. These are completely different notes. I just don't know....I almost think of warm cocoa, but it's not chocolatey at all. There is something like oakmoss or ambergris, something 'cologney', that I love, and just a smidge of foodiness (maybe a little cake in there?). Add the frosty snowy touch and we have a winner. I will cherish this scent!

Oh, and did I mention.......A CHAOS THEORY IV WITHOUT FRUIT!!

Okay, there might be a hint of berry, somewhere in the mix. But overall, this is like a warm winter coat smelled from the inside, worn by a sexy man with really nice cologne. I just love it! This is just the kind of odd-smelling blend that I look for in the Chaos Theory's. I just wish I could describe it better!

:P

Edit to add: This would be right at home in the Dogs Playing Poker scents.

Edited by Forspecial Plate

Chaos Theory IV - MCCLXXXIX (1289)

A purchase from Midnight Aeval (who also reviewed this) and I have to agree with her description. It really is a creamy rose, though I detect vanilla, which could possibly be the buttercream she mentioned. The roses faded and left me with only the faint scent of cream. I imagined dipping a rose into a sugar wash and letting it crystallize as it dries. I'll have to try it again with more than just a teeny dab as it seems to go a bit powdery (my skin tends to do that to vanilla or cream scents). I enjoy it and so does hubby. I'm glad I got the chance to get this from MA. If nothing else, it'll be AWESOME in a locket.

Update: Tried this bottle one last time and I'm not getting any honey (as I've now learned that honey in any combo amps like mad to a cloying level of ick), but it's definitely buttercreamy and the floral is just soft and delicate. I wish I knew what it was. Not jasmine or rose... but something white and light, maybe? There could be amber in this since it does go a bit powdery on me, but I could be wrong.

Final Verdict: I just can't see myself wearing this, so it goes into the bottle swaps.

Edited by Gunny

CHAOS THEORY IV: CMLXXX

Scent from the bottle: I smell possibly Valerian and sour candies.

Wet on my arm: I smell mostly sour candies.

20 mins. later: All I can smell is smoke and a faint smell of sour candies.

Hour and 1/2 later: Can barely smell it at all, almost gone.

Last reviewed by rayvn1.

Edited by Shollin

These were all testers given to me by cheshirecat. I believe she owns the bottles

CDIX - 409

In the Decant: a soft, sweet fruit note (my guess would be guava), cantaloupe, and tart tangerine

Wet on Skin: tart tangerine, guava???(fading), cantaloupe, and watermelon, and a faint tart lemon note

Dry: cantaloupe, watermelon, tart tangerine, tart lemon, cherry blossom, and a faint aquatic note. As this scent progresses, the lemon and the tangerine fade, while the cherry blossom gets stronger

CDXVII - 417

In the Decant: herbal spice and orange

Wet on Skin: herbal spice, orange (less), red grapefruit, and musk (light)

Dry: herbal spice (much softer), red grapefruit, musk (light), and orange (much less)

CDLXXXIII - 483

This really doesn't morph on me at all. It's the same on my skin as it is in the decant: herbal spice (much lighter than the note in CDXVII), tart lemon, a light green note, and a faint sweet fruit note

ETA: The faint sweet fruit note is melon

DXXXI - 531

In the Decant: tropical fruit punch (pineapple, grapefruit, a little cherry, and a hint of orange), and a light green note in the background

On My Skin: tropical fruit punch (composed primarily of the aforementioned fruits), a light green note (stronger), and a hint of musk. After about an hour, sassafras emerges. It's faint at first, but it gets stronger

DXLI - 541

In the Decant: woods, sandalwood, orange, and hints of red berries and pipe tobacco

On My Skin: woods, sandalwood (weaker), orange (a bit stronger), pipe tobacco, and eucalyptus. After about a 1/2 hr, a soft sweet powdery note appears along with a hint of angelica (this was sooo much prettier in the decant)

ETA: cedar is definitely one of the notes included in the 'woods' I'm smelling. It's an unusually lovely cedar though (cedar is usually one of my death notes, but I love it in this blend)

DCXVIII - 618

In the Decant: sweet orange (fresh though, not candied), sandalwood, and hints of smoky spice and white florals

Wet on Skin: sandalwood (stronger than in the decant), sweet orange (weaker than in the decant), still with hints of spice and white florals

Dry: The orange is back to being the strongest note. At first, it's sharper than it was when wet. 1/2 hr later though, the orange is softer and sweeter than ever (still not candied though), the sandalwood has faded quite a lot, and the smoky spice and white florals are still there (still very faint though). About 1 hr later, the white floral note is a little stronger. After several hours, the orange fades, the white floral fades a bit too, and the smoky spice comes forward

DCCLXIII - 763

In the Decant: Indian spice blend and a hint of pink grapefruit

On My Skin: Indian spice blend (softer), pink grapefruit, and lime. After about an hour, it's almost pure cotton candy, with only hints of the other notes

MC - 1100

In the Decant: white floral, sour green note (probably juniper), and a hint of eucalyptus

Wet On Skin: less floral, more juniper

Dry: mostly juniper, with faint white florals, and hints of snow and eucalyptus

Edited by SurrealReality

MCLIX- very red in the vial. Smells strongly of dragon's blood, smoke, and black pepper in the imp.

On skin, the dragon's blood is very bold and fruity. For a while, the scent smells like smoky bubble gum. Some of the candy-like quality fades as it dries and it becomes a better balance of sweet resin, austere spice, and smoke. I don't know if I get any sense of florals or anything else from this.

This is a lot like Wrath, only more peppery, which is fabulous, because Wrath was a little too nice and agreeable on my skin. I thought it needed more pepper. Definitely a keeper!

ETA 12/10: Trying it again today, it smells like it might have lemon balm. I don't usually like lemon balm in perfume, but with dragon's blood, it's pretty neat. Definitely one of the more interesting CTs I've tried!

Edited by naeelah

MCLIV - blackberry, currants, sage, amber?

I'm feeling nose or brain dead, so I'm not going too well with the notes in this. I think this is the one that Gentleman Caller described to me as Lady MacBeth's English cousin, which is an excellent description.

It has lots of grapey fruit in the bottle. It smells a lot like fresh red grapes, actually, but nothing like the lab's usual grape note. Once on the skin, it turns drier and tarter. It smells like blackberries and currants, I think. Similar to Eat Me, but more purple. There's a light herbal quality, maybe sage.

It actually smells quite similar to Bewitched, on me. Unfortunately, it's pretty short lived, but it's nice while it lasts.

DCCCLIII - pink pepper, tart cherries, plumeria? (other floral guesses: carnation, cherry blossom, a hint of sweet pea -- think pink)

I gave this one a good huff and thought, "I know this note! It's....Bloody Mary!" Then I remembered that this was described to me as Bloody Mary crossed with Pink Moon, which, again, is an apt description.

Wet, it has loads of tart cherries, exactly like Bloody Mary. It smells like cherry Kool-Aid. There's a dry, slightly abrasive edge to it that becomes stronger as the oil dries. Again, this reminds me so much of sniffing kool-aid in the packet. This dry note is definitely pink pepper. Once dry, it's very floral, with sweet cherries in the background. I can't place the floral note. Once again, it's a round, smooth floral that reminds me of plumeria or hibiscus or some kind of tropical bloom. The same note that turns up in practically every CT I try.

ETA 1/6: On another try, it doesn't seem as cherry heavy, and the floral bouquet is a little clearer to my nose. I think I smell that same tropical bloom, but doesn't come out until the blend is long dry. At first, I smell other light, sweet blossoms. The pink pepper is very prominent but everything blends well together.

Edited by naeelah

CDXVI (previously reviewed by fairnymph)

First impression is tart cherries, just like Bloody Mary. Tart citrus also becomes apparent on dry down, followed by a light, crisp floral. The longer I wear it, the more it strikes me as carnation -- it's light with a bit of a kick. Matches the tart fruit notes well.

It's nice while it lasts, but it fades really quickly.

DLLXV

Was described to me as berry musk. It did indeed smell like that when I got it, but now it's much more floral. Has light fruits at first, maybe apple, cherry, and raspberry, and a little bright musk. Once dry, it's mostly floral with a hint of apple and white musk.

Not getting a good handle on the flowers (I'm really quite bad at identifying many of them). Suffice it to say, it's not tropical, rose, ylang ylang, jasmine, or something else I can easily identify.

I think iris might be present, as it has that sleekness.

Edited by Shollin

I ordered 32 CTs for a decant circle, and will be adding reviews as I do 'em to this post. Any snarky names added are not actual titles from the Lab, just my demented and odd sense of humor while on Ambien.

CCCXXXI (slightly greenish yellow): "Fizzy Happy Drinks, Mixed Drinks as Kiddos." Apple Juice and gingerale.

Ginger? Apple? Some kinda light floral?

This is the first time touching the bottle since Ly decanted. (he sent the bottle to me half full!!) 331 is such an interesting scent. The first thing I detect after I have put it on is butter. It is off-putting and I don't like it (one of the reasons I don't care for a lot of the foody scents). But underneath... there is something luscious. After it dries, I get a gorgeous lush floral. LOVE.

CXXVIII (128)

In the bottle: Light pungent fruit (smells like watermelon rind) and a floral. It reminds me of Pennsic (summer camping) in a way I can't figure out.

Wet: Still melon rind, but there's something else in there, maybe an herb or moss?

Half an hour: There's a fleshy white flower (muguet?) in this, also a grassy sweet flower. The fruit smell is largely gone, but a faint remnant lingers. There may be a bit of patchouli in it, too.

One hour: Still light floral, something fleshy and white but very gentle. There's definitely something grassy in it, too, something kind of warm and sweet.

Two hours: There's an aquatic note in this one, the first one that's worked on me. But it's still floral, light, like maybe a tree blossom.

Four hours: This kind of reminds me of Khajuraho, and Machu Picchu. The aquatic note has worn off, also the fleshy white one. Now it's just a gentle sweetness. This doesn't rock my socks, but it's very pleasant.

Seven hours: Still there, although it's down to a single note now. I wish I could identify this note, which seems so familiar. It's grassy, but floral. I think Tavern of Hell has it too.

Months later, after a very busy summer, I came back and sniffed this bottle again. That fruit note is PEACHES! My favorite Lab fruit note! I can only plead the severe disruption of my normal life that happened around the time I got this scent, but it's PEACHES! It's a fresh peach note, though, not the sweeter "white peach" in some of my favorite scents. It might be the same as the "summer peach" note in L'Estate bath oil, which sends me swooning.

I got PEACHES! How perfect is that?!? :wub2:

Chaos Theory IV - MCCCXCVII (1397)

My Chaos Theory order was one of my first… and I was still timid about certain notes, like vetiver--and this CT is all about vetiver. I remember trying it on, being slightly horrified, and trying to get it off or cover it up. However, upon my second go-round, months later, I'm finding it's quite different than my initial impression.

In the bottle, this is a sweet and piney scent. Indeed, when I first put it on, it's a sweet pine scent with a citrus tang to it.

Not long after that, however, vetiver blooms in the scent and pretty much takes it over. Over the first hour, the scent develops a dark, warm and evergreen quality.

It turns rich, tart, and dark. I can still smell mostly vetiver here, but I think I'm starting to smell some woods with it--maybe cedar or balsam?

Over time, this is a fading vetiver and wood scent, with a touch of piney sweetness to it in its latest stages.

Recaplet: Warm, evergreen, and foresty--but a dark and spooky forest.

My rating: 3 of 5 (Nice enough.)

Color impression: Deep, deep greeny-black.

CCCLXIX:

Aerinha reviewed this scent (we were in the same decant circle). My impression of 369 is nothing like hers. I smell coconut and sweet floral with a slight tinge of mint. This blend is absolutely fabulous.

CCXLI: A decant from the lovely and ever-generous cheshirecat.

Imp: Chocolate and fruit loops cereal. Which is to say fruits...all the fruits they use in that cereal. :)

Wet: Yup, chocolate and fruit loops. Citrusy fruit loops and chocolate. :yum:

Dry: The fruit loops tone down to simply a sweet citrus scent, and I'm left with a beautiful clean chocolate blend with citrus hints. You know what it smells like? Almost EXACTLY like Lush's Ma Bar. OMG, yum!

Previously reviewed by djnevermore.

CCCXXIII (323)

Again Aerinha reviewed it before me and again I got something different. While I do agree with the green pulpiness of the scent, I picked up something foody as well. It turned spicy after it dried. 12 hours later, it is still potent... but what I can smell now is something sharp and strident (what I've always referred to in other colognes as bug spray). I do NOT like it.

Edited by Shollin

CDXI (411)

In the bottle – The initial whiff is sweet, almost butterscotchy, followed by orange blossom and topped off by washing powder

Wet on me – It’s weird I would have said that it was orange blossom and melon, but the sent is much heavier than that and I’m getting washing powder as well

Dry on me – It settles as a strong sharp floral, that I would guess is some form of lily, but also very dusty

Overall – I have to say this just doesn’t work with my skin chemistry at all

CDXXIII (423)

In the bottle – Almost nothing at all, perhaps peach and possibly watermelon

Wet on me – Faint candied watermelon with a hint of something floral, but I struggle to identify florals

Dry on me – It disappears quickly in a haze of melon

Overall – I think it would have been quite pleasant and refreshing had it lasted just a little longer

CMXVII (917)

I got this from Midnight Aeval who described it as earthy rose. I agree there's a soft rose present as well as a spicy rich floral that is probably lilies. This kind of rose tends to go a bit powdery on me & that's exactly what happens though the lily is still very true.

It's not really my style, so off to a new home it goes!

Previously reviewed by whiterosepetals.

CCCXXXIV (334)

Oh, wow! It's grapefruit!... sprinkled with sugar. I absolutely LOVE the sweet tang this scent gives off.

Previously reviewed by Aerinha.

Edited by Shollin

MCCCXCII

The person I got this bottle from described it as "smoky coffee," and boy is it. I was hoping for the kind of smoke that works on me, but sadly this is the one that doesn't. This is the industrial smoke note that is in Smokestack and Agnes Nutter. It smells a lot like I recall Agnes Nutter smelling, actually... if Agnes were drinking a cup of coffee she'd smell like this. While I can clearly smell the coffee in the bottle, on my skin the smoke amps like crazy and covers it up. That means this one has extreme staying power, of course. :lol:

DCVI

I get this minty/herbal scent. At the beginning, I swear this had some sort of anise in it, but very very light. It had a minty feel to it, as opposed to actual mint. It's cool and refreshing. The herbalness of it feels almost like basil, in that it's slightly sweet. If there is cake here, it's very light. I get no butteriness or anything heavy, two associations which come to mind with more traditionally 'cake' BPAL's involved. There is a soft vanilla base here and perhaps even a touch of powdered sugar.

Overall, I was hoping it would be foodier. Apparently, I am up the mint-like qualities, instead.

Previously reviewed by nursekins

MCCXLVI

Definitely a sugary raspberry tart/baked good going on. However, I get some very boozy components to it, kinda like a whiskey because it was a slight 'wood' tone to it along with hints of brown sugar. Unfortunately, the raspberry fades on me on the drydown and I get a slightly muskiness to it, making it basically a boozy sort of cake with brown sugar. I was hoping for something less boozy and sweeter.

Previously reviewed by naeelah

I received DLXIV from my switch witch :wub2: It was previously reviewed by Midnight Aeval and Sookster.

I'm inclined to agree with their reviews...the bottle has aged some now and I would say the earthy bits have matured and deepened, the sweetness of the fig rounds out what smells like oakmoss to me. sweetness aside, i am wondering how this might smell on a boy.

CCCXXXIX (339)

In the imp and wet, this definitely has a foody base. It almost smells like almond cookies or cake batter. When it dries, it goes floral but quite pretty. Unfortunately, it does not last very long. I like this one so I don't think that the imp is going to last very long...

Previously reviewed by Aerinha.