Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hackess

Chaos Theory IV: Edge of Chaos

Each bottle of Chaos Theory is truly unique, a fragrant fractal, and exercise in the joy of chance and uncertainty! Each is a one-of-a-kind, utterly random combination of scents, the composition of which is based on whim, mood and gut instinct.

CCCLX - 360

In the bottle: Light, clean. Faintly soapy. A bit citrusy and fruity with some heady classic florals in the background.

Wet: Lilac and orange and tangerine. Fresher and zestier but also headier, more richly floral. A bit of a powder too, making my nose tingle - maybe another floral, violet?

Dry: Ah ephemeral citrus, you are so fickle. Heady florals are totally taking over and amping like crazy. Still slightly soapy, but less powdery.

Later: Lilac SN. Heady, faintly sweet, vaguely clean. Not powdery. Maybe a hint of some like skin musk because this has depth.

Summary: Juicy, zesty orange for 3 minutes and then it dries down to virtually pure LILAC over a base of light but deep musk. Rich, heady, floral, and yet still sort of fresh. Feminine. Crazy strong throw, but fades a bit but does not wash off.

It's too much straight lilac for me and the orange totally disappeared, as it always does on my skin. :P

Previously reviewed by Bagfish. Edited by Shollin

DCCIX - 709

Apple. The first thing that hits me is definitely apple, similar to the juicy apple of Poisoned Apple, with nice throw. When I sniff hard, there's something buttery or cakey behind the apple, sort of like an apple tart or apple cake. This is sort of foody without being overpoweringly sweet or cloying, it's pretty light and the apple is a little tart. It's also somehow faintly floral, which makes me think maybe apple blossom or some other sort of gentle, sweetish floral, because it's not prominent at all. As it dries, the apple seems to mellow a little and the cakey/buttery notes come out a bit more.

DLXXV (575)

I have held off reviewing this one because it's just so bizzare & so beautiful! But I think I should try to explain...

It morphs a hell of a lot and smells extremely complex to me. After much sniffing in all stages of drydown I gave come to this conclusion...

Wet Stage - Someone took Enraged Bunny Musk and dipped him in Coffee/DarkChocolate/Cherry cake. Coffee is predominant in the cakey side of things. But it has that light..slightly lemony fiziness that EBM has!

Drying slightly more..this is where it starts to throw me... This is where I want to run into the arms of a very experienced nose and say...WHAT IS THAT??? It's creamy..but not "Cream" it's making me want to use the word.."pearlescent" cream. Weird I know.

This pearlescent weirdness get's much stronger as it dries further and the coffee note is holding on too. It stays like this for a while.

Then when it's dry the coffee fades out a bit and I just really really can't describe what is left. It's not floral, it's ozone/aquatic it's not green or foody not anything.

It IS sweet though..

:P

CXC - 190 This bottle belongs to cheshirecat. Here is her review. She sent me a tester and I'm reviewing it just because I feel like it :P

In the Vial: coffee (with unsweetened cream, but no sugar), sandalwood, and a little milk chocolate

Wet on Skin: about the same, but with the addition of an almost cinnamon-like note

Dry: sandalwood is the main note now, followed by coffee and cinnamon? The milk chocolate has totally disappeared. About an hour into the dry-down, the sandalwood continues to grow stronger and the cinnamon? is nearly gone

This is the lightest coffee scent I've ever sniffed. It's well-blended and pretty, but it's not rich or sweet enough for me

This is my first review ever, so please bear with me. :D

MCLXXXVIII (1,188)

EDITED - My sister and I worked on this and she helped me pin down some things that I couldn't place before. :D

In the bottle: Faint chocolate smell, with something lighter in the background.

Wet on skin: The chocolate evaporates (yay!) and turns into musk. Sweetness fades also, but is still there.

Drydown: ... this is gonna sound weird, but it really does smell like walnuts. My skin smells like I've been rolling around in walnuts. :P

This is very autumn, VERY pretty despite the strangeness, and totally unlike any other blend I've tried. I'm so glad I have something that says autumn to me without also saying potpourri. :D

Edited by Mary

DCCCl (850) The person I purchased this from described it as purple snow fairy/violet bubblegum.

In the bottle:whoa....I'm definitely getting some berry...it reminds me of the berry in crumpet rebellion without the tart part that made crumpet rebellion so foody. On first sniff I would say this is berry and sugar plum??

On the skin: When I put this on I get an effervescent sugar plum and some pink lemonade?? I don't really get any bubblegum which is ok with me because bubblegum scents end up being way too sickly sweet for me. This also shares some of the notes in Teenage Cannibal.....maybe it's the lemon and candyfloss that is similar??

Overall this is a lovely fruity scent....I would call this one Tart Lemonade Sugar Plum. Definitely a purple scent!! A little sad that it fades fairly quickly on me :P

MCLXXXIV - 1184 - Coffee, booze, and butter

Mack got on his hind legs and started crazy sniffing. Then he started crazy sneezing.

I brought this bottle to one of my friends who took the initial sniff and backed off wicked fast. When it was my turn, the first thing that came out of my mouth was those four words - coffee, booze and butter. The longer I sniffed it, I got tobacco leaf.

Out of the bottle, it's a toffee colored liquid. On me, I still get that same four notes, only now the tobacco jumps out and the butter slides away. Coffee, booze, tobacco. Maybe leather or old paper.

This is a guy scent. Not so much that it should go on a guy but I keep thinking of a guy as I smell it. I don't even think I know anyone who smells of these things but.

Mack wants nothing to do with it, but then again, he's shy of guys.

MCXCVI - 1196 - Candy flowers

After 1184, this was a total yin-yang contrast. In the bottle, it's light, sweet, floral. The more I inhale, the more I get citrus, but only in the wayyyyyyyy back. The sweet scent is the same sort of sweet that Lady MacBeth has in it.

It is clear on me and as soon as it's on, the sweet comes out and the floral falls away. Pineapple, but not. It's like the end of summer, when all the stone fruit start to ripen and the flowers are fading.

Like I said, these are total yin and yang. 1184 I'd wear when I want my masculine characteristitcs to come out and I don't want strangers to take a fancy to me. 1196 I'd wear to kick up my girly side and make new friends. 1196 is instantly attractive. 1184 keeps people on their toes and think twice about me.

Chaos Theory IV - MCCLXXXIX (1289)

This was quite the surprise, from the bottle it's creamy, candied roses, and on my skin it's pretty true to the scent in the bottle. I'm not a fan of roses, but this scent is like Hope + buttercream or white chocolate... something is keeping it creamy, like one of those pastel colored cream candies - you know what I'm talking about? Imagine if they were rose flavored. The rose does not go soapy at all and instead stays true and creamy. As it dries the scent becomes less potent. I'm really on the fence with this one; it's really great, but I have to wonder how much I'd actually wear it.

Chaos Theory IV - MCCXLVI (1246)

A blast of crushed herbs comes through when I opened this bottle which made me scared to even skin-test it! However, as soon as I put just a dab on my hand, the strong herbal smell completely vanished and turned into crushed orange Pez candies! So so strange...

CCXLIX - 249

In the bottle: Tart and juicy and slightly sweet fruit, yum! Peach and citrus, possibly exotic. Delightful and fresh and summery. Something vaguely herbal and green.

Wet: Tarter, with almost an unripe green edge - ahh, it's NECTARINE, I recognise it from Ebisu. Still some citrus though as well, grapefruit or kumquat or yuzu, very tart and zesty but still juicy.

Dry: Oh, this fades so, so fast, so I'm guessing grapefruit as that is highly ephemeral on me. There's a slight soapy edge, could be from a floral. But Ebisu had it too, so maybe it's an aquatic note or the nectarine.

Later: Mint? A light one? Maybe that's giving some of that herbal/bright feel? I do think there is peach in here as well as nectarine, adding sweetness. And some musk, sexing this up.

Summary: Clean, slighty soapy, green-tinged nectarine, juicy yellow peach, tart citrus zest, pale mint, and deep, sexy, earthy musk. Feminine, fresh but sophisticated, fun but complex. Good throw and lasting power.

YAY! Finally a second score out of 20 or so CT IVs. :D I'm sad a bit has been decanted from the bottle, but totally thrilled I have most of it. It's a cross between Fae and Ebisu with a dash of Gennivre. :P

CT IV: DCCCXXXI (831) is LEMON!!!! with the capitals and exclamation points in the bottle. Not sweet, either but tart, whole lemons--peel, pulp, juice, flower. I LOVE IT. My mouth waters when I sniff it. I am a fool for lemon and I so, so wish this had more stay.

CT IV: MLVII (1,057) was described to me as wine, but if it's wine, it's very young wine. In fact, I'd say it's more like grape SweeTarts, which is fine by me. It's tart, fruit-and-hibiscus--akin to Boo Bam, which I adore. Again, hardly any stay.

Can I say how much I love CT? SO FUN.

MCCCLXXI (1371) Amber, Lily OT Valley, and Egyptian Musk

I ordered mine last minute when they should have been gone, but were still up for several days.. teehee?

I am Sooooo happy that I went for it!! The color the of juice is a dark snake oil color. in the bottle, I smell subtle spices and amber and either egyptian musk, or possibly patchouli. I don't smell patchouli much, so it must be a dark musk like egyptian or even european musk (but I am not sure if the lab uses much european musk?)

Once I dab some on my skin, it opens up and blooms and well.. there's some white flowers in there. Perhaps some lily of the valley? Something airy and blossomy.. but the fact that there's some dark musk and amber, it's keeping the Lily (?) in check! As it starts to dry, the lily (?) fades to the background and the amber and musk sweeten up just a little...

Again.. I couldn't be any happier! It's almost like the lab did some sort of jedi mind trick and heard my plea's of "please give me something dark and sweet... oh please..."

I bet this will age ohhh soooo beautifully!!! I can't wait!! :P

Yay for an awesome Chaos Theory!!

MCCCX - 1310

Up to now, I thought I was doing pretty well at figuring out what notes were in my CTs, but for some reason, this bottle has my nose a bit confused. I'm sending this bottle to fairnymph (who has an exceptional nose), so hopefully she will be able to figure it out. But until then, here is my impression of this scent

In the Bottle: peach, a little oakmoss, and a dark juicy berry of some sort (probably blackberry)

Wet on Skin: the oakmoss is a bit stronger than it was in the bottle

Dry: peach, oakmoss, dark juicy berry, possibly papaya, possibly a little pineapple. It kinda reminds me of Fae. Several hours later, the complexity begins to fade, and eventually it dries down to peach SN. This scent has good throw, is fairly strong, and lasts a very long time (6+ hours on me)

Unfortunately I hate oakmoss with a passion, so this is definitely not the scent for me. This was previously reviewed by kimmer (not here though, on her sales page). She described it as foody, possibly fruity.

EDIT: fairnymph has received the bottle, and here is her review!

Edited by SurrealReality

DCLXXIV (674)

This starts off creamy, sweet, and with the tiniest hint of what may be a floral note - the floral note fades super fast - and it turns into a creamy, candy-ish sweet scent with a hint of grapefruit. It reminds me of a softer candy-like version of Channikah - it's really a fun, fizzy summer or spring scent! I can't stop smelling my wrists, because it seems so familiar.

Edited by GirlinDenial

CMIX

The perfect popcorn scent I was searching for. My friend told me he can even sense the oily smell when they are popped out and are still piping hot :P with a touch of caramel coconut :D

I only have one imp and I`m ready to search for weeks more of this Chaos!

Edited by Champagne

CMLXXX

The tequila of doom married with some light floral. It`s like to immerge your arm in pure tequila and then smear it with a bouquet. It`s headache inducing and the boozy note is so strong that it doesn`t go away even washing it. A must for drinkers. I personally loathe boozy notes.

CMXXXVIII

A light and sweet floral blend that tend to give a pink image. Quiet and calm like a spring breeze in the afternoon

CMXIV

Candy, yes, fruity candy, funny and sweet

DCCCLXXIII

Pink grapefruit meets a hint of juniper-verbena that fades quickly and live happily ever after as a fruity blend, a tad tart but delicious after all

Edited by Champagne

MCCXCI

Musky with subtle spice and a touch of what, to my nose, smells like black plum...Hints of vanilla, perhaps amber, a touch of honey and a whisper of black coconut. There might be patchouli *way* in the background and a couple of other notes I can't quite place...This is...

In other words...Snake Charmer. With an added drop of honey. :P

I'm happy :D

CMLXI

Wet in bottle - There’s a strong element of green peppers and chili spice, but something white and floral as well as the smell of grass and hay.

Wet on skin - Green peppers, grass and an aquatic/white floral note note freshness.

Dry on skin- Green peppers, grass, aquatic notes and white florals. Light and fun. Totally unique.

MCLXIX

I'm terrible at picking out notes in the bottle, but this smelled really creamy. On me, it's a pretty fruity-floral. It reminds me a lot of 51, but it's way more subdued. I can smell something sweet which I think is probably melon, veiled by some gentle flowers. Maybe there's some bamboo in here as well. Unfortunately this doesn't last long, but I like it. Perfect for the rest of the hot days, before it gets cool out.

3.5/5

This was the very last bottle of Chaos Theory I purchased right before they came down:

MCCCXLI

In the bottle: Hello dandelion!!! This is very much dandelion and cucumber. Very similar to the dandelion from One to Tie Two to Win......but this also has the soothing smell of the last version of blue moon....cucumber and aloe.

On the skin: Very similar to the last Blue Moon...aloe and cucumber....with strong wafts of Dandelion. I used to own a bottle of Dandelion SN....this very much reminds me of that....but not as simple as Dandelion SN was.....this is Dandelion SN with cucumber and aloe...which makes is more perfumey.

Surprisingly this lasts quiet a while. What a lovely surprise this one was!!

MCCXXVII-

Previously described as: "In bottle rum like...dried wheat fields

Application-This one goes on like a dried fall field.I get a slight grain like note.After time I almost get like a hint of dried grape vines with a hint of wine...resin and that dried grain field scent.I can also get a hint of dried grass...slightly sweet but dry and fall like.."

In bottle: There's a slightly wine-like scent, with the wheaty grassy smell.

Wet on skin: Uh oh. Lemon. Like lemon cleaner and fruitloops.

Dry: kind of winey-molassesy, and still lemon. The wheaty smell is still hiding there, but I'm amping the lemon (lemongrass? verbena? plain old lemon?) quite a bit.

Unfortunately, lemon is one of my least favorite notes. Ever. Almost more than jasmine.

Le sigh.

Chaos Theory (CT) IV: XMII :P

Previous owners thoughts: Apple w/ boozy notes --a boozy LA Vita Nuova

My Impressions:

There is an initial apply note, but then warms to a lovely fresh laundry on the laundry line in spring feeling.

A really feel good scent, ...and for me it conjures up images of my favorite cuddly Laura Ashely towel

(I cannot explain the wild towel buying adventure the bf & I had. None came close to the velvet snuggliness of LA towels & this is how *wow* this scent feels)

Fresh and warm and full of sunshine from drying on the line. Comforting/snuggly/familair...and just plain old good.

Wow. Never thought a perfume could be so comforting and conjure up so much. Shame, they only make a bottle of each, b/c this is something to share/compare with others :D

DCXCV - 695

In the bottle: Sweet, fruity! A little tart as well, possibly some citrus. Several fruits, reminds me a bit of fruit punch, with a sugary edge. Tropical/exotic, too.

Wet: Tarter, more citrusy, overall stronger. Lemon! Like lemon candies and lemon oil or zest. Definitely the strongest note, but there's straight white sugar too. Faint black cherry, and a red berry of some sort.

Dry: The zest is definitely zest, it has that bitter edge, but this is less sour-tart. The red berry is either strawberry or raspberry because it's vaguely plasticky, though light.

Later: As the lemon fades more, the other fruits amp. I'm thinking both raspberry and strawberry for the red berries, though the latter seems a bit more prominent. A hint of pineapple, and some musk.

Summary: A citrusy fruit punch! White sugar, zesty lemon (much faded in final drydown), sweet strawberry and raspberry, rich black cherry, light, exotic, juicy pineapple, over a musky base. Possibly more fruits. Sweet-tart, well-blended, feminine. Amazing throw, great lasting power.

My skin doesn't do strawberry or raspberry, alas! But for fruity candy lovers, this is a great scent. The person I bought this from described the citrus as grapefruit, FYI.

DCCLXXXI - 731

In the bottle: Light and fresh. Green, citrusy, zesty. Both fruity and herbal, maybe even a touch aquatic. Unisex and very clean.

Wet: Citrus, yep! Quite tart and sour, so I'm thinking lemon (verbena?), and maybe some white grapefruit. There's a faint creamy note deep below, sort of warm and soft and a touch sweet.

Dry: Dries pretty slowly. Sadly, I think this is lemon verbena, not grapefruit, though it's not a horribly strong cleanerish lemon scent. It's definitely dominating the blend though it's not quite smacking me in the face.

Later: I think the creamy note, which is softly powdery, is a nice amber. This coming from someone who usually detests amber. But it softens the LEMON nicely.

Summary: Tart-bright lemon verbena nicely balanced by gentle, faintly powdery, creamy, warm and softly sweet amber. Unisex to feminine. Great throw and lasting power.

It's a lovely blend, but I think lemony stuff is not for me. Swap!

CMLVI - 961

In the bottle: Fruity! Citrusy, zesty. A little sweet and tropical. Possibly an orange citrus, mandarin or such. A sweet tropical floral, pikaki or plumeria.

Wet: Nicely tart and zestier - tangerine, I think. Fresh and juicy, too, but this is slightly more rind than fruit. Underneath is that slightly creamy, warm-sweet-soft floral.

Dry: Dries rapidly. Reminding me a ton of Lovers Parodies right now, though the citrus is stronger and tarter - so definitely tangerine and pikaki.

Later: It's getting a bit more floral as the tangerine wears off a bit. Some creamy and heady white floral, but it's light and well-behaved - ah, magnolia I think. Some nice musk, too, has emerged.

Summary: Tangerine, pikaki, magnolia, and skin musk. Fresh, fruity, softly floral and slightly sweet, gentley creamy and seamless. Feminine, rather youthful but a bit exotic. Moderate throw, dismal lasting power.

I love it! It's a like a simpler, fresher, magnolia-version of Lovers Parodies. I just wish it didn't fade so much! Definitely needs to be reapplied after a couple hours.

Edited by fairnymph