Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hackess

Chaos Theory IV: Edge of Chaos

Each bottle of Chaos Theory is truly unique, a fragrant fractal, and exercise in the joy of chance and uncertainty! Each is a one-of-a-kind, utterly random combination of scents, the composition of which is based on whim, mood and gut instinct.

CCCLX (360)

In the bottle it smells like a mixture of fresh pear and apple, very lovely like freshly sliced fruit.

Once on, the scent quickly morphs into a more aquatic scent, but it stays fruity in a more berry-ish sort of way with a sweeter touch of vanilla or amber or resin for 20 minutes or so and is still very pretty. There is definitely some floral in here, possibly gardenia. The early dry down stage reminds me slightly of the florals and fruit in Coral Snake. The throw here is very good and it is a really lovely scent.

However on late stage drydown the ozone/aquatic note amps and amps on me until all I can smell are notes similar to those in Dirty. I will be swapping this one I think! Edited by Shollin

CLVIII

SurrealReality and inthefall also reviewed this.

Wet sugary-sweet, creamy lemongrass tea! And today, my son said 'lime' and I'd have to agree with him after re-sniffing, though the lemongrass is much stronger.

For maybe half an hour, the lemongrass remains, but fading all the while until it becomes lemon. Now this is a sweet, creamy lemon tart. When it's entirely dry, it's a very light and pale sweet cream...like the ice cream.

BPAL sugar scents and I don't normally get along because they end up smelling like burned brown sugar and amping wildly on me. However, this is pure white sugar! I LOVE this aspect of it! And while I don't like to smell like lemongrass, this may be the lemongrass scent to turn me around! Plus, with the quick dry-down, this becomes a truly delicious, mild scent.

Throw is light, so I can wear it anywhere.

CCCXCIX - 339

In the bottle: Fizzy grapefruit and...lilac?

On wet: Grapefruit or lemongrass, but it's almost powdery - reminds me of the pith. No other notes are coming through at this stage - it's like citrus SN!

Drydown: Oh wow, this is gorgeous. The grapefruit has backed off a bit, and is mingling with something so delicate and watery (not aquatic, just a cool, green, moistness) - I'm guessing it's aloe. I still think there's some lilac in here, too - it's soft and gentle, but riding the edge of the scent, giving it just enough creamy sweetness to round things out. That powdery vibe (which is almost gone now) has me wondering if an orchid snuck into the mix somewhere along the line...

Overall: This is a fantastic blend - very reminiscent of Whitechapel (which I :P)! I will definitely be keeping *and* wearing this scent - it's perfect for me! :D

DCXCIII - In the bottle, it smells like green apples. On the skin, the apple was gradually replaced by a very light, clean aquatic scent. The apple is still there, but just flavoring the water.

CDLIX - Hazelnut, golden musk, and tobacco or a dark incense note. Wet, it's very strong on the hazelnut, but this burns off as it dries, and for a while, it's almost a single note golden musk. It's a sparkling, fruity golden musk like in Aziraphale. The longer it wears, the more a dark, smoky quality emerges. Most dark incense blends have this effect on my skin. It's not an overwhelming smokiness, it just darkens the blend. The nuttiness is gone by this point.

DLXXXVII - The main note is MELON! It smells very similar to Earth Rat, really, but much more aquatic. I'll have to expand on this review after another try.

DXCIV - UPDATED TO SHOW AGING -- at first, this struck me as a dark, grassy, minty herbal.

Now, the top note is sweet red apple, followed by a sharp, green note that I now believe to be cardamom. It's not nearly as minty as it used to be, and once dry, it blends in very well. As the blend dries, it takes one a more grassy and herbal quality, getting darker, but the overall quality is more golden. There may be hay or amber or something. I'm really not sure. I used to think the grassy scent was vetiver, but now that the blend has settled, I don't get any sense of vetiver.

Edited by naeelah

CDLXVII - 467

In the bottle: Light caramel, possibly some kind of wood, a fruit - maybe apple - underneath.

On wet: Caramel-dipped fruits! (Plum? Apple? :D)

Drydown: PLUM! Lightly glazed with the most delectable caramel-tinged syrup. There's still a hint of incense/wood underneath, some musk (red?) - maybe even the tiniest smidge of patchouli. I smell incredible right now, and I can't *wait* to see how this scent ages!

Overall: I'm not a foody person *at all*, so I was a little scared when I opened this (extremely full!) bottle, and got a whiff of caramel. Thankfully, it's not only the lightest caramel I've ever smelled, but the plum/musk/woods are strong enough to keep this blend firmly out of the foody category. An amazingly warm, sweet, *sexy* scent - another winner! :P

XXI (21) - A woodsy blend. I'm not sure which wood it is, specifically, and there is a mix of either resin or metal, possibly both but it's very subtle. (Unfortunately, I'm not good with these so I can't pick out particular notes.)

ETA: I had someone else review this one for me, and they gave me one word: Aquavelva. :P

LIII (53) - This one is comforting. Warm, without being scorching. Actually, it makes me think of a wool sweater. You can just wrap yourself up in it on a cold day. I think there's tea in it, and possibly amber.

LXIV (64) - In the bottle, it smells like caramel. Wearing it, it turns to dust and...cedar. It's a library scent, if I ever smelled one.

Edited by steelxrose

Chaos Theory DCCCXLIII - 843

in the bottle - light and fresh. Nothing specific.

wet - OMG Orange peel and... what tastes like celery leaf. Extremely fresh and bright.

dry - less throw but still fresh. a bit more of the celerey leaf.

Delicious. Doesn't last very long but it's very nice.

Edited by BlackTauna

CCCLXXXV (385)

bottle - honey, mango, maybe passion?

wet - more mango, a little musk, something floral

dry - mango and musk.

+ bright, fresh, light and fruity. delicious and juicy, almost in a 'lick your wrists' -kind of way.

- too girly to my taste.

CCXXXVIII (238): In the bottle, I'm getting grapefruit with another interesting note I can't quite place. I think it's lavender. Wet this is tart grapefruit but the lavender creeps forward pretty quickly - it's a very interesting blend. Doesn't change all that much on dry-down, though after a few hours I'm left with a powdery grapefruit. Will try to swap it for something a little more up my alley, though it's growing on me in a weird way. Maybe I should sneak it onto my SO and see how it smells on him... (Prior review by veronicafranco)

DXXXIII (533): In the bottle, sweet cherry. An absolutely gorgeous cherry. On my skin I get the same thing. On me this is almost a single note. Very yummy. A little too SN for me, since I never have the time to layer, so this will go up for swap... (Prior review by sookster)

DCCCXLV (845): In the bottle, straight honeydew melon. Reminds me very much of what I remember Fee smelling like. Wet I'm getting a creaminess of sorts, though I'm not sure what it is - maybe a light vanilla. Once dry it seems to be a vanilla-edged melon scent. OMG, this is amazing. :P A keeper.

Edited by dpoulsen21

DCLXXXVIII - 688

In the Bottle: Lovely! Tart, but slightly sweet lemon and lime (definitely more lime than lemon though) with a bit of shredded coconut (the sweetened kind used for baking)

Wet on Skin: The lemon and lime notes are still tart, but they're getting sweeter. The coconut note is a bit stronger

Dry on Skin: There's almost no lemon now.....it's mostly tart (but slightly sweet) lime and sweetened coconut. Pineapple? Yep, definitely pineapple :D Ooohhh, about 10 min into the drydown, a lovely buttery cake note comes out :P About one hour in, I can't really smell the pineapple note anymore and the coconut note has changed some....it's more like fresh than sweetened now. Several hours later, the buttery cake note is still there (yay!), the lime note is a bit softer and sweeter, and coconut note has nearly faded away

Unfortunately, this scent has very little throw on me (it was very strong in the bottle though.....I could smell the lime and coconut before I even opened it up!). Also, I would have preferred the buttery cake note to be a bit sweeter, so this scent may end up on my swap page

EDIT: swapped to djnevermore

CDXXXIV - 434

In the Bottle: honeydew and watermelon (sweet, but very realistic, not at all candied) with something sweet, creamy, and very slightly buttery underneath

Wet on Skin: honeydew, watermelon, and a soft sweet mint note! With only a touch of the sweet creamy note in the bottle

Dry on Skin: The mint note is very soft on me (which is unusual.....on my skin, mint notes usually overtake all other notes completely). I'm definitely smelling the soft, sweet, creamy note that I did in the bottle (but no butter this time). About a 1/2 hr in, the watermelon and honeydew have calmed down slightly (they're blending in with the rest of the notes more), the mint note is even softer, and I smell a hint of what I believe is green apple and perhaps some sort of berry (blueberry most likely). Several hours later, the honeydew and watermelon notes have faded, the sweet/creamy note has faded a little as well, and the green apple? and blueberry??? notes are slightly stronger, but they remain pretty faint throughout the life of this scent

I don't think I'll end up keeping this scent......it's very pretty, but I've never liked watermelon

Wearing Dangerous Smiles' impression of this scent was very different from my own (here is her review)

EDIT: swapped to djnevermore

Edited by SurrealReality

Chaos Theory DCCCXLVII - 847

Out of the bottle: Citrus!

Wet on my skin: Sugared lemongrass, a dash of orange and maybe a hint of vanilla? The lemongrass dominates.

Dry: As this drys the lemongrass calms down a bit. The sugary/vanilla element sweetens this up like Sweet Tarts! The final dry down is all delicious Sweet Tarts and Pixi Stix on me. DELICIOUS! We have a winner :P

Edited by Monster

Chaos Theory CCCLXX (370)

I have yet to have a Chaos Theory work really well on me, but I think this one is a winner! In the bottle, it's straight-up pineapple - tangy, tart, and delicious. The drydown is fluffy vanilla (which isn't going plasticy on me) and a bit of the pineapple. It's wonderful!

Chaos DCCCXIX (819)

CARAMEL, big time. When the lab sends me a fresh mix of caramel, all I smell is celery seed. It goes away in time. I'm going to have to give this a couple of weeks to see if it calms down. On the upside, I rescued Agrat Bat Mahlat from the NO pile to compare, and now that Agrat has cooled her heels for a while, there is no celery to be found and I'm liking her.

Update: 9/26 - the celery aspect has calmed down quite a bit, and now I'm able to wear this. It's caramel and fig. Good throw, long staying power.

Edited by Kippy

Yay, Chaos Theory reviews time!

The two I ordered-

DCCLXI (761): Starts off grassy and green. Hello freshly mowed lawn! It doesn't last that long though, because after a few minutes of the skin, the grass turns into spearmint with a slight herbally undertone maybe. It's sweet and delicious, but I don't know how often I'd wear it.

DCCLXII (762): Uh.

My reaction- What IS that smell? I couldn't figure it out until I begrudgingly tried it on my skin. "Where have I smelled it before?"

Ohhhh, now I remember. AGNES NUTTER. I think it must be the charred wood/gunpowder note. Not my thing. Shame though, it smells like there's something good and sweet lurking in the background. But I just can't get past the overwhelmingly ick-ness of the gunpowder/charred wood/WHATEVER that terrible note is.

One I swapped for, prior review here!

431: In the bottle this smells...fizzy! On, I'm getting a sweet yet dominating citrus. I thought lemon at first, but I think grapefruit is more accurate. Unfortunately, citrus has a tendency to go cleaner-product on me and...yeah. The drydown is much better, but I wanted juicy goodness dammit! It did remind me of the Tiki Bar scents though!

Edited by DangerInRed

I have DCCCLVIII -

From the bottle: Woah, fruity! Then melons. Then a ton of slightly soapy lemon--I think it's lemon verbena? All overlaid with something fresh and ozone.

On my skin: Reminds me of June Gloom (I still have my 10 ml--I have to dig it out to compare)! It's lemons and fresh greenness, a bit of sugary fruit, melons, white flowers? Something like dryer sheets--something aquatic. The drydown is like faded Sweet Tarts...with soap.

It's so strange, why have all the past Chaos Theories I've gotten been different variations of fruity-melon-ness?? :P

This will be my first and only bottle of Edge of Chaos. I like it, but I don't think I'll reach for it often. It's aquatic, ozone, soap attributes are not for me.

Edge of Chaos LXIX

69, lovingly christened "And you should wash your hands after".

Because you totally should, you know, wash your hands after... with something that smells like this!

In the bottle this smells like a clean, slightly aquatic green floral with a hint of musk. It's almost Irish Spring-y in its cleaness, and unisex. Refreshing.

On me I get some kind of creamy white floral. I thought it might be lily of the valley at first, because it reminds me of some lily of the valley handsoap we used to have when I was little. However, I'm now more inclined to believe that it is orchid. It does, however, smell exactly like freshly laundered bed linen. Mmm, clean linen. I think there might also be some white musk in here. It reminds me a little of Oberon (which I really like by the way), without the bergamot.

ETA: I just tested Phantom Queen and this Chaos Theory is very much like Phantom Queen, but less sweetly floral.

:P

Edited by trollgirl

Okay, time to review this one.

LXVIII.....I think most of you would consider this dude-fume. I smell big, big resins, very emphatic, lots of throw. I would guess opoponax (sweet myrrh, with that hint of 'bubbly cola'), for sure, and maybe even another myrrh (or two?). I'm almost positive this has galbanum, I recognize it because I have some of the essential oil. It's a resin but it's very odd for a resin....earthy and green, kind of plant-like. I can smell it in this, almost like a faint dirt note that drifts in and out of the mix. And I think there is a slight floral element, as well.

I just know there is more going on in this blend that I can't pinpoint. Just notes I haven't learned to recognize yet. Ambergris? Maybe. And that floral....I just don't know. It's maddeningly familiar but I can't name it.

Overall this reminds me strongly of Minotaur and Hades, if they mated and had a baby that turned into a monster super-hero. It shares a golden-glittery quality that I find in both of those scents. Turned up to 11.

Chaos Theory 4 CMV (905) arrived today *squee* (a seperate order from the previous CT4 reviewed around page 1or 2 of this thread)

Originally in the bottle, it smelled like a Witchcraft shop. This was likely due to all of the imps that it had been shipped with. Resniffed at home over the lunchbreak, it was alllllllllll bubblegum. Like Bubblicious extrajuicy bubblegum, the kind that, when you were a kid, came in a wax-papered piece in a wad that was so large that it stretched your jaws to plonk it in your mouth and made you work HARD to get it chewed up and ready for blowing bubbles.

It stayed bubblegum for a little while, and then turned sugary, candied violets perhaps? That didn't last long, and developed an aquatic note, similar to Spell Of Amorous Love, although still sugared but without chemical sweetness.

Now, the sweet is fading, and a bitterness is starting to peek through - decorative bitter wood soaked by overlong exposure to a bubble-bath'ed tub, perhaps?

Call this a less complex, somewhat sugary, meekly bitter younger sister of Spell Of Amorous Love, my favorite of the Shunga line.

DCCXXXIX - 739

In the Bottle: dark chocolate, black coffee, and a hint of sandalwood

Wet on Skin: about the same, only not quite as strong

Dry: The sandalwood is stronger and there's a hint of white sugar. About 1 1/2 hours later, the dark chocolate and black coffee notes have softened

The overall impression I get is similar to El Dia de Reyes, but with more coffee (and without that funky hot chocolate note). Unfortunately though, this doesn't last quite as long as El Dia de Reyes

EDIT: After letting it settle for several months, I've decided to swap it away. I just don't wear it often enough to justify keeping it

Edited by SurrealReality

DCCCLIX (859) This is the one that starts out fizzy, and right now is actually reminding me of Hanami. Only it has a little more substantial floral in it, as in, I can kind of feel the stems. I'm liking it a little more this time, it has a little bit of sugary sweetness underneath. I think for a minute I got a whiff of rose. O.o I think the rose-y thing is gone, and it's still like Hanami, only pinker red instead of the blue I get from Hanami.

DCCCLXI (861) This one is starting off citrus this time--lime to be specific. I'm also getting some greenery.. it's sort of neon bright green right now. I think there has to be a floral element in here.. but I might be wrong.. maybe more like unopened, still green flowerbuds than actual flowers. The lime does give it a kick. I don't THINK I'm getting pine anymore, but it's hard to say. Now there's a little bit of a candy feel to it, and I'm actually starting to like it. Kinda like lime sorbet.

Chaos Theory IV - DLXIV (564)

An earthy fig/vanilla scent, not an overpowering sweet blend.

Previously reviewed by sookster.

Chaos Theory IV - DCCCVI (806)

The first thing that comes to mind in this one is Christmas Dryer Sheets when I sniff the bottle. It's a clean scent but also smells like the typical Christmas/Winter scents (pine, berries, ice). I put this one on my skin and as it drys that "dryer sheet" note mellows and it becomes more characteristic of a winter scent, still with a slightly clean feel to it.

Chaos Theory IV - CDLXXXIV (484)

There's definitely melon in here, but it's more complex... like a dark, evil melon masked in smoke. I also get a hint of citrus that makes it slightly tart.

Previously reviewed by sookster.

Chaos Theory IV - DCLXXXVII (687)

MY DREAM SCENT... oh my.... :P I purchased this 2nd hand and was sold on the fact the person who reviewed it said it was almost leather SN. Oh yes, this is leather, but mixed with amber. It's just a touch sweet on the dry down. GAH just perfect really, it has me swooning.

DCCLXXVI (776)

Bottle: An aquatic floral. Bubble-gummy lotus and mint.

Wet: Fresh linen, a touch of creamy sandalwood (maybe) and mint.

Dry: The wood seems darker. I think it may be rosewood not sandalwood. The mint is catmint like what grows in my yard. The lotus whispers through at this stage.

I'm going to guess the notes as: Rosewood, catmint and lotus.

This is a fun, cooling scent. I think it will be great for summer and winter. It makes a nice pair with my other CT (CCLXVII). I have a warm lotus and a cool one:)

Update - I'm sitting here in my office realizing that the same scent that is rising from my skin is wafting in through my windows. 776 now to be named August Ending dries down to the exact scent of my somewhat weedy over grown gardens which this year are dominated by and explosion of crane's bill. Truly one of those psychic lab pics...like they knew it was the smell of my home.

Edited by isisonearth

CCLXXIII (273)

In the bottle: Mmmmm, fruity! It smells like red fruit punch.

Wet: Acaiiiiiiiiiiii!! How exciting -- this even has the little smack of greenness which is also found in Slippery Poppy Tincture. SPT unfortunately gets entirely too green on my skin, however, and though this starts to gets there for a bit there is another red fruit (which is most likely strawberry) and a creamy/tanginess that really helps reign this in as it dries.

Dry: This is Beaver Moon 2007 with acai berry in place of the cherry.

Verdict: This isn't actually the bottle I ordered from the Lab (which I could review had I not already sent it off to someone else and forgotten the number :lol) but I'm so happy that this bit of Chaos made it into my hands. This bottle tickles me to no end, and I have the only one EVAR! :P

Edited by PhantasmMysteria

CMXLV- I keep sniffing this but I can't figure out what's in it. Fruit? Maybe? After awhile it starts to remind me a bit of Yemaya... possibly melon. Maybe the sweetness is honey. I can't tell. It's nice, but possibly not for me. I'll try it again in a few days.

DCCCLXIII-Decidedly foody. And buttery. Wet, it smells like Gluttony. I think there's caramel in here. In fact, that's the only thing I get right now.

CMXXXI- APPLE. APPLE APPLE APPLE and then something...woody? Kinda reminds me of the ironbark note in Tiki King. I have an apple tree scent!

CMXXIX- Spicy ginger...maybe clove too. Like the ingredients for mulled cider plus ginger. The longer I wear it, the more I like it. Will be great for fall!

CCCXVI - 316

In the imp: Pale yellow coloured oil. Buttery, foody, cakey - tonka, I think. Citrusy - lemon. Florals, and something clean smelling. Reminds me a helluva lot of Vampire Tears.

Wet: Pretty much the same, perhaps a bit sweeter, sugary - making it more foody. The citrus is definitely in the lemon family. A bit spicy too - fresh ginger. And the sweet floral I think is pikaki. Tropical feel on the whole. A brighter floral note strikes me as gardenia.

Dry: Slow to dry. Some of the buttery-foody tonka is wearing off, and the florals are amping, becoming dominant instead of background notes. This is still tart but the lemon has faded a bit, while the invigorating ginger holds.

Later: Wow, the ginger in this just amps and amps! The lemon is more juicy-fruity, less tart-sour. The gardenia is, amazingly, behaving nicely, and the pikaki is wonderful. Tonka is no longer foody, more just sweet and creamy.

Summary: Fresh, spicy ginger with bright, bold gardenia and sweet, velvety pikaki. A touch of lemon adds to the overall refreshing feel, and creamy-vanillic tonka and musk ground the mix. Feminine, complex, sophisticated. Great throw and lasting power.

Final drydown reminds me of a gingered cross between Lover's Parodies of Sumo Holds and Vampire Tears, leaning towards the former. I would love it without the tonka, but it's just too strong of a note here and not one I like to be able to detect clearly in a blend.