Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Wolfsbane

Notorious for its properties for protection against werewolves and curing lycanthropy, this nefarious plant also has a fine history of use as a virulent poison. Clasically, Medea employed it in her many works of vengeance. This concoction of ours has none of the lethal qualities, but still personifies all of the herb's dark history beautifully.

In the imp: Either leather or vetiver, or maybe a combo of both. Sharp and brown and dark.

Wet on skin: Still very leathery and sharp. Not something I would go for.

Drydown: It gets a bit richer, muskier and sweeter but also smells a slight bit like dirt and rot. It's kinda sexy actually, but in a way that I could get sick of quickly. I don't care for it on my own skin, but if I met a guy wearing this I would think he's all dark and mysterious and be intrigued.

Overall: Not for me, but I am glad I got the chance to smell it. It's definitiely interesting.

In the Imp

As soon as I opened this imp I was immediately hit with overwhelming scent. Usually I’ll hold the imp up to my nose to try to pick out the notes involved but this one was so potent that I didn’t need to. I think I can smell cedar in this. I really hope I’m wrong because cedar typically smells horribly on me.

On My Skin

This smells like it has herbal elements in it, I’m not quite sure which ones though. Also I’m fairly convinced that this contains the dreaded cedar and true to form, it doesn’t smell good at all.

After a Bit

This is very light two hours later. My nose is focusing in on the cedar making it hard to write a review that isn’t OMFG I HATE CEDAR!!!

Rating 1-5 (5 being the best)

Scent - 1.5 Throw - 2 Longevity – 2

Overall (not an average) – 1.8

Final thoughts

Gross. Maybe I’m a werewolf because this blend would scare me away any day of the week. Off to swaps it goes!

I'm pretty sure this was a frimp.

In the bottle I can smell what I can only assume is Wolfsbane! having never smelled it before I can only describe it as a sharp, floral, lime-green-coloured smell.

When wet I can smell something that made me hungry! Very herbal which is good. It reminds me of Saturnalia but without the violets.

When dry it smells like a slightly smokey herb. Pleasant but I doubt I will wear it.

Oh dear. This smelled intimidating in the imp and I don't know if I want to put it on. Wet, it's strongly medicinal and STRONG. I put on a tiny drop but this stuff is potent. As it dries down this strongly animalistic scent comes out. It practically smells like an animal enclosure at a zoo: a really dirty animal smell, with some woodsiness and green (medicinal herbs and pine) thrown in for good measure. This stuff certainly smells lethal! The amount of throw died down just enough for me to deal with it after a few minutes, so I decided to let it sit on my wrist for a bit longer and see how it developed, just out of curiosity. Well, it was a bit of a struggle, to be honest. I'd get wafts of pine and cedary wood here and there: pretty pleasant, really, because it smelled like a forest, and not like Christmas or pine-sol, as some piney scents do. Unfortunately, the forest was full of stinky animals marking their territory. Blugh. I wonder if it's that civet note I see mentioned in some reviews. I've never smelled civet before, but if this is it, it's not my friend... least favorite note I've ever smelled in a perfume. :sick: I feel like I've accomplished a feat of endurance by letting this stay for almost an hour on my skin before had to wash it off.

In the bottle – A dark, smoky green note

Wet on me – A tad ‘pencil shavings’, but still green and a little soapy

Dry on me – A faint green herbal

Overall – Pleasant enough, but not for me

Imp: WOAH! Green vetiver to me

Wet on Me: Green and Vetiver dusty

Drying down: touches of Mr Clean in this.

Mr Clean is Wolfsbane?

Dry: a woody, sometimes green Mr. Clean.

Not sure HOW my nose is getting that.

I can smell coconut. :huh:

It's very medicinal, I'll try it a little bit longer, but I don't think it's for me.

I smell cedar, patchouli, and coconut. Now, I love coconut, but I can't get over the dirty smells of the other notes. Earthy scent lovers, take note!

This was a frimp. It smells like dark wood with something sharp in the background. I prefer sweet foody scents so this wasn't a keeper for me. My brother loved it because he said it smells like burned wood or charcoal.

it smelled quite scary in the imp, but it's actually rather nice. I get patchouli and leather with a sharp woody note, which might be cedar. It gets much softer as it dries down and it's wonderful after an hour or two.

It's not a mind-blowing scent, but it is definitely well blended and interesting. I'd love to wear this in fall/winter.

Edited by Kosyena

Starts out strongly vetiver, gives that nice deep woodsy umph.

After about 10 minutes dries down into a pleasantly sweet coating - sweet milky tea and crumbly cookies, or yes rice pudding perhaps.

Doesn't stray into powdery; a little stuffy but rather nice.

imp's enough

my hubb is as lycanthropic as they come and he loves wolfsbane. :lol:

on him it is very woody with a leather tinge.

sexy!

Imp: Vetiver and pine sap.

Wet: Pine! It's sappy but not sweet. Pine usually goes sweet on me so this is kind of awesome.

Dry: A soft woodsy cedar with pine needles and maybe some vetiver remaining? It's a grassy vetiver rather than a more smoldering smoky one. It's very simple, very evocative of just being out of doors. Very little sweetness to this but it does feel like a heavier scent.

Throw: Soft.

Overall: It's nice. Definitely a good scent if you like realistic, evocative nature scents or your a fan of evergreen scents. I have more than enough pine/fir/evergreen scents so I'll stick with the imp but think it will be very nice come the fall months.

imp: woodsy, green vetiver.

wet: thick, resinous vetiver. this is not smoky as vetiver usually is, nor burnt. like a rich, syrupy vetiver. this is almost like a lighter version of horn of plenty. this may be bottle-worthy.

dry: on the drydown this differes from horn of plenty in that it doesn't have that sticky-sweet, almost fruity, backnote but it is intensely similar in many other regards. this is all sublime, resiny goodness.

Wet: Patchouli, patchouli, patchouli. And something herbal and smoky sharpening it up in a way I really like. Usually pine and ceder-y scents smell like terrible cleaners on me, but this is perfect. It really smells like the woods after a rain, not like sickly sweet pine sol. Of course, the woods after rain smell like rotting logs, fresh mud and tree sap, so a lot of people may not be looking for this in a perfume, but I'm in love.

Dry: Wolfsbane, where are you going? As it dries it loses throw fast, and my skin pretty much eats it within two hours.

I love this scent. :D I haven't found a scent I loved this much since I first started buying BPAL. I wish to god it stayed on me longer.

dry woody, musty scent . in the imp it smells a bit like a wet old ashtray..yuk. on skin its better, still woodsy but sweeter more resinous. Darn it its gone all pencil shavings on me now. not for me..off to swaps

First of all, I love the story Rappaccini's Garden by Nathaniel Hawthorne, so I have to try all the scents in this series at one time or another. I'm also a huge fan of Remus Lupin and cried when Voldemort finally took him down :cry2: This is a dry, smoky and sinister wood...definitely smells like something that would be poisonous, something in the garden told you not to touch but you did anyway. I can definitely detect plenty clove in here, and I both amp and love clove. If Lupin was real and smelled like this I'd be all over him :wub2:

Tea tree oil.

With identity issues.

In the imp and immediately on, it smells like tea tree oil. I like the smell of tea tree oil for what it is, but it's nothing that I want to wear as an actual scent.

After a couple of minute once it starts to dry down then it smells like tea tree and...cinnamon? where'd that come from? and then...tea tree and vanilla, which is even more random. Something green starts to come to the surface for a split second which i'm assuming is the actual wolfsbane itself.

after dry down though, it completely shifts into heavy leather and something spicy- the patchoulli and vetivier i'm guessing. it smells like it's trying to do that amazing smokey thing that i get with the music of erich zahn but just can't work up the stamina to do it. it's really not a bad scent though, just not one that i see myself wearing. it honestly reminds me of dog leashes and wet saddles, or a facial cleanser at best- again, scents that i don't necessarily dislike but not ones that i really want to seek out either.

this may be the first imp that i've tried that actually went really bad/weird on me.

:::WOLFSBANE:::

Wolfsbane's fragrance seems to imply that it is growing at the very edge of the deepest, darkest, sky-scratching forest of Grimm proportions.

Having never smelled the actual plant, there is little likelihood that a reasonable comparison could be made to the aromatic signature's authenticity.

The Lab's version of Wolfsbane is a hugely forested perfume; barely keeping the snarling, bristling, bloodthirsty, beast at bay.

This is, quite possibly, the darkest that green can get before qualifying as black.

Wolfsbane smells furry, loamy, sappy, ashen and cold.

This resembles a mix of Spruce, Juniper, Pine, Blood, Mud, Ginger, Moss, and Soot.

It is difficult to imagine how this stuff would be dissuasive to Lycanthropes. This would be almost home... Heck, this even resembles Loup Garou in a not so small way...

However, the Lupine's vastly superior olfactory prowess readily distinguishes the threat to be sure.

Nice, brisk, outdoorsy.

Rugged and adventurous for Him.

Wet: strong, sharp wood

Dry: mellow wood plus something creamy (coconut?)

I love woody scents, but I wasn't sure about this at first. Wet, it's very strong and sharp but somehow not very distinct from several other woody oils I have. However, when it dries down, it mellows out and an additional warm, creamy note appears. I can't quite place it, but it may be coconut as others have noted.

Wait for drydown, :wub2: and it's beautiful!!

Frimp in one of my orders.

I have no idea what actual wolfsbane smells like but if the oil is any indication, I'm going to hazard the guess that I'm not going to like it much.

In the imp, this is a green herbal scent. It's pleasant enough at this stage but it gets very sharp once on my skin. Something very evil happens during the drydown and it suddenly changes into an acrid, wet burning wood. It's not the wonderful smell of a bonfire on a rainy day or the comforting smokey wood from your parents' hearth. This is wet ash and something very bitter. It's the same once dry.

Interesting concept but my skin chemistry (and my nose!) do not like this one. Not one bit.