Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Embalming Fluid

A light, pure scent: white musk, green tea, aloe and lemon.

A bpal classic (I almost called it a blassic. Hmmm. ) that I had to try in leui of the warmer months. With the green tea and musk, its the impression of drinking a cold drink in front of the porch with a spot of lemon. It's more of a sweeter version with a bit more lemony sparkliness then to Kumiho. As seeing as I already had a bottle of Kumiho, I don't think I would need a bottle of embaling fluid but it's still in the same family. Very sweet, clean, and classic. 'sides, the name will always turn a few heads. Edited by quantum spice

imp: pale, lemon, a little like a cleaning solution or fabric softener...

wet: LEMON ice, but with a slight "pledge" undertone

dry: meh. Very very faint. Refreshing, but I'm not sure I want to smell like lemon ice.

The initial notes are green tea and lemon, a wave of freshness with some serious throw. The musk gives it a bit more body than it would otherwise have. I smell the aloe as well, but it isn’t dominant -- it blends with the tea and supports it.

This scent is layered in a fashion that seems neither complex nor simple. It has a confident throw, but because the smell is so refreshing, it doesn’t come off as overwhelming. I should also note that it’s a perfect unisex scent, neither masculine or feminine. (At least, if the male in question doesn’t balk at the idea of wearing something called “Embalming Fluid”.)

This scent finds its identity within two minutes of wear and stays true to the established scent, with no odd metamorphoses. Then it lasts for a very long time. Like Snake Oil, Embalming Fluid wins its accolades from me because it is a scent I enjoy that doesn’t go weird or vanish on me. I really liked this one.

This smelt lovely, crisp and lemony in the bottle. When on me it definately was refreshing. The lemon wasn't overpowering and complemented the musk and tea well. A little later on the lemon softened and the musk and tea came to life. I genereally couldn't smell the aloe all that much, maybe a slight undertone of it.

I'll be using this one through summer. It lasts very well on me, something I'll be getting a bigger bottle of.

Edited by Druby

Citrus and aloe. This smells a lot like F5 but more piercing. A great deal greener, too; I am just getting green from it.

I have a bottle of F5, but I am holding on to my Embalming Fluid imp - I can see why it is one of the most popular scents.

In the bottle:

White musk, aloe, tea.

Wet:

...ginger? Something smells a lot like ginger. Also getting a little bit of all of the real notes: aloe, tea, white musk and lemon, in order of prominence. I think it's the aloe/tea combo that gives the impression of ginger. Somehow.

Dry down:

Aloe and ginger, with a little bit of tea. In fact, it's essentially kumiho + aloe.

Final thoughts:

I'm learning that I'm not really a big fan of aloe. Reminds me too much of lotion. Having said that, this isn't as bad as F5 with regards to LOTION. Still not sure how much I'd wear it.

in the imp – this is a stronger scent than shanghai – thank goodness! i love the notes, and want this one to work on me. can definitely pick up the musk behind the burst of lemon.

wet – lemon! wowza, lotsa lemon! but clean, fresh and bright and nothing to trigger a headache.

drydown – the intensity of lemon fades, but the musk and the tea have come out a bit more o the front, making it a richer scent, but still this is a light, delicate scent, just barely there. it’s quiet, personal, and clean scent, more of a remainder of something delightful than “grrr, argh, i am smell, hear me roar!”

verdict – i do love this one, and the fact that it can linger on my skin. i did cave and get a 5ml.

Embalming Fluid

In the imp: Smells like the ingrediants listed, the musk and lemon seem to be coming out the most.

wet on skin: turning into a lemon cleaner

dry on skin: okay, much better. A bright, light green smell. I can definitely smell the green tea and the lemon most of all, but it didn't stay in the dreaded "lemon cleaner" wet-on-skin state, thankfully. I usually don't consider scents to be season-oriented, but this is definitely a spring scent for me. It's bright, certainly good for keeping me awake, and is very happy. My opinion is that the throw is pretty far, though my husband says the throw is faint.

I do like this scent so I'll be keeping the imp for occasions when I'm in the mood to wear it, but I will not be ordering a big bottle of it.

A very clean, crisp, fresh scent. The lemon is a little bit too stong for me right at first, but it calms down pretty rapidly. I like the green tea and aloe combination. The musk gives it a nice softness, kind of like a fuzziness. This is a very comforting scent, to me.

It's funny, the first time I tried this scent was about 10 months ago, and I thought it was too lemony and swapped it away. After I tried F5 and like it, I thought I should give Embalming Fluid another shot. I'm glad I did.

I REALLY wanted to like this one because it was the very first BPAL blend I received (not the first I ordered; I'm still waiting on my Lab order to arrive) and I was hoping there would be more musk than there was; I didn't get any musk on me at all. While I'm not generally a "foody" person, I do like citrus scents like lemon, but I don't like ginger and in Embalming Fluid the gingery scent came out load and clear and reminded me of this Origins perfume my husband bought me that I kind of tucked away on a back shelf somewhere.

Honestly I can see why Embalming Fluid would make a good summer scent and I will keep it for a room fragrance because I think it smells fresh and clean for the summer (or any time for that matter), but I had to layer some of the Thaleia FRIMP I got to make it tolerable on my skin (and I'm not a roses person either...) until the Embalming Fluid wears off :P.

Rignt now, I just can't wait until I get my 12 IMPS from the Lab so I can get the ones I hope will work for me...

When I first put this on I thought I had dowsed myself in Pledge. Very lemony and not heavy at all. I felt strangely invigorated by this oil though.

Once it was dry and warming on my skin, the white musk blossomed. And with it came the tea and aloe. Embalming Fluid became more of a green scent than a yellow because of this I think. I picture the color of absinthe, or that new spring leaf green, when I smell this perfume.

I had to double up on the oil though so I could continue smelling it. That is the only drawback I can find with Embalming Fluid. It is a definite keeper.

A friend of mine sent me this as a swap. And all I can say is ... Wow. Just ... wow. This is totally my kind of scent. Sharp and pointed and ... clear? Pure? Something like that.

In the bottle: whoa, is this Manhattan? No, not quite, but close. Lots of tea and lemon. Already anticipating liking it. (:

On applying: Very lemon, but I don't get the Pledge note. It's a sweet, natural lemon and strong tea on me.

Drying: I can't tell if I can smell the aloe or not, but the lemon and tea and this sweet undercurrent-thing (I'm guessing that's the musk) are all playing around together beautifully. I love this. Light, balanced, energetic, and wonderful.

This is the scent that made me fall in love with BPAL! I remember the first time I went to the BPAL site, and I randomly clicked Funereal Oils, and I read the description of Embalming Fluid. I was very intrigued, and kept coming back, and then I finally decided to order some!

This will always be my first-love scent, so to speak.

Very light and airy, great for anytime of year but especially summer. Does seem to wear off a bit fast, though. I haven't had any "pledge" kind of reaction to it. It is just a nice clean citrus. This is the kind of scent I would wear to work or on a job interview-noticeable, but not overpowering.

This is definitely something I want to get a 5 mL of!

Embalming Fluid is lovely!

Fresh, green, citrusy (but not too sharp), and definately aloe and green tea.

It kind of smells like... is it Elizabeth Arden's Green Tea perfume? It's very good though, and will be great as a summer scent :P

Embalming Fluid is lovely!

Fresh, green, citrusy (but not too sharp), and definately aloe and green tea.

It kind of smells like... is it Elizabeth Arden's Green Tea perfume? It's very good though, and will be great as a summer scent :P

YES! As soon as I smelled it, that's exactly what I thought of. I used to wear the green tea perfume all the time and loved it.

As it dries it becomes less sharp, but doesn't morph all that much. Not really getting any of the musk, mostly green tea with a hint of aloe and lemon. Will be great during the summer!

In the imp: Lemon - bright, crisp and clean. Very uplifting.

Wet: Pretty much the same.

Drydown: The lemon gradually softens and becomes less sharp and more rounded. Something underneath (aloe or green tea, I'm unfamiliar with both) is making it's presence felt and giving it more depth. I can't really detect the musk at all, possibly because I usually wear stronger musks.

Dry: It doesn't really morph at all, just gradually fading away. After nearly 4 hours there's just a hint of it left on my wrists. Doesn't seem to have much throw.

I had no idea if I'd like this or not, I really only ordered it because it seemed pretty popular and because I liked the lemon in Dorian even though I often don't get on with citrus. I do like this, and it was perfect on a hot summer day like today. However it's not really me either, I'm more of a resinous, spicy, woody, musky kind of person. However I'm hanging onto this imp anyway for the rare times when I do want something cooler.

I agree with what Trishek said, it's very uplifting. The first note that strikes me is lemon (or lime?), but it's neither bitter nor household product-like. It's very fresh and sharp, but not in a painful way. I like this scent.

...until it turns into soap on my skin. Oh well.

first sniff: Green tea with lemon.

wet: Lovely, lovely green tea! The lemon is blending well with the tea note, and there's a bit of green underneath - the aloe.

dry: Still lovely tea, with a faint cool musk under it.

It lasted longer on my locket than on me, but my skin seems to be gobbling up scents lately. :P

But this is definitely top contender for a good summer scent!

Mmmm, lemony! But there are other, subtler scents behind the lemons...they seem to give the lemony scent some heft, and I like that.

I can really see why people rave about this as a summer scent. It's kind of hard to imagine at this particular moment (since we're dealing with snowstorms in April right now), but I could imagine this being a nice, light, crisp scent for summer. Possibly a little *too* light for my tastes, but I get why it's a "classic"!

Embalming Fluid:

In The Vial: ...OH MY GOD GREEN. It's -- like grass clippings with a sharp, green-yellow bite. Lemon and... something else. Grassy.

Wet: ... I rolled in the grass. Seriously. Lemongrass, but grass. And wet.

Dry: ... goes to a bizarre, lemongrass soap on me.

Already been offered to somebody for swaps, and I won't miss it.

hmm.. when i first put this on it was very much a sharp lemony tea scent... not really what i was hoping for. As it dried, though, a hint of the musk and aloe seemed to peep out, softening it a bit. I can see why this is a classic light scent for many, and although I like the dry stage, that initial stage is a little too sharp for me to enjoy wearing it.

Bottle: Very refreshing. I can definitely smell the lemon, and it's not one of those cleaning product lemony smells, but real yummy lemon.

Application: Hello happy scent! I can still smell the lemon. It's not as crisp right now as it was in the bottle, but it's there and it makes me happy. The other notes are coming out and mingling with the citrus of the lemon and it's just very happy and calming.

Dry: It's still lovely and lemonish, though not as strong.

I really like this one. It made me feel happy the whole day.

Wet this is sharp, clean, green, citrus and green tea. When first on it's soft lemon, and a mix of citrus and sweet notes. After a few minutes the lemon softens even more and it's a clean, green, powdery blend. This doesn't change much more on me and it's not very long lasting. This is a crisp, clean, green scent (gosh, how many times have I said that already?) but it's not really my style. The Lab's green tea note never seems to work on me.