Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Embalming Fluid

A light, pure scent: white musk, green tea, aloe and lemon.

In the imp: So very clean and citrusy. I love this already.

On my wrist, wet: Oh this is wonderful, just like the description. Heavenly.

Drydown: This reminds me of The Healing Garden's White TeaTherapy, but more sophisticated. Like what White TeaTherapy would smell like if it was three times the price.

Summary: I absolutely love this smell, it's light, clean, cool and citrusy. A wonderful summer scent. My only complaint would be that it doesn't last long enough on me! Edited by quantum spice

In the bottle: Fresh and lemony; reminds me of walking in the shade of a citrus grove.

Wet: The lemon turns to a sharp note of lemon rind, with bitter aloe underneath. Neither the tea nor the musk appears at this stage.

Dry-down: The tea starts to come out at this stage, adding a strange yet lovely aquatic note to the mix. It’s bitter, but not unpleasantly so.

Mature: The tea has come out all the way, with the lemon as a top note and the aloe as an underpinning, but there’s very little sign of the musk. This is very odd; my skin doesn’t amp musk notes, but they usually bloom quite nicely after a while. All I’m getting is a faint, ethereal sweetness, keeping the bitter notes from being too bitter. Throw is minimal.

The bottom line: Embalming Fluid is very much a summer scent to me. On its own, it doesn’t do much for my skin (unless it’s insanely hot), but I can see the potential for using it as a layering scent with certain florals that go a little too fruity for my tastes.

In the bottle: Lemon, but tempered with something musky and herbal.

Wet: Lemon, lemon, nothing but the lemon...

Dry: ... which abruptly turns to pure white musk. Hello, tea? Lemon? What happened?

Pity. I had high hopes for this one.

Bottle: I have white tea with lemon - and this smells almost exactly like it. very light.

Wet: the lemon is stronger, now, and I can catch a hint of the aloe.

Dry: I'm not getting much of the musk, this is still very much sweet, pale tea with a lot of fresh lemon.

Later: the lemon has backed off quite a bit and I'm getting more of the tea with the musk - really lovely. These sorts of scents usually don't seem to work well on me - I may seriously have to consider getting some of my own!!

This is Emma's implet, but she's letting me review it. Emma found this too sweet and wanted to wash it off very quickly, interestingly enough - Colin happily took possession. Apparently he thinks it's the perfect scent to wear with his Ben-ten Omnitrix F/X. Who knew?

In the bottle: Bitter lemon, but not unpleasant, and a pale musk.

On the skin: The aloe comes through but smells waxy, like store lotion. The lemon gets even more bitter, but still not unpleasant. But the musk is too much and itches my nose.

Dry down: Fades quickly, and the remnants still itch my nose.

Not unpleasant overall, but definitely not for me.

At first just lemon, veering dangerously towards Pledge, but the other notes keep it from turning into furniture polish thankfully. It's actually very nice, lovely and yes it's refreshing, making me look forward to my pending bottle of F5 even more.

After a while a sweetness comes forward, automatically making me think musk, although I suppose it could be the aloe or green tea. But I'm pretty sure it's the musk I'm smelling, threatening to turn powdery and too sweet. But fortunately, there's the lemon keeping it in check, and one never quite overpowers the other. All around enjoyable scent, I'm really glad the lab threw this in with an order. This seems very unisex to me, and something that I think my mom and sisters will like.

This is a plain green tea scent for me. That's the only note I can distinguish. It smells like "green tea" scent, though, not an actual cup of tea. I happen to really like that smell because I find it very clean and relaxing.

The famous Embalming Fluid belongs to the Kumiho, Cheshire Cat, Sudha, Holiday Moon, EBM Family in my mind. I can see why this one is a fave, the addition of the white musk makes the tea, aloe, and lemon more rounded and dimensional. I really really like it.

This was a frimp from one of the Lab's Ebay auctions (thanks! :P)

In the imp: Strong lemon.. veering dangerously close to Lemon Pledge

Wet: Lemon Pledge

Dry: Still Lemon Pledge

Unfortunately nothing else in this came out for me - my skin ate the rest and amped up the lemon so it never really got out of cleaning products territory for me. Citrus is often troublesome for me!

A strangely refreshing scent considering the moniker. :P Very light and uplifting, lemony freshness. The white musk is apparent but light. This scent isn't heavy at all and it knows it. A perfect white musk scent... I might send it along to my grandma since she's a fan of white musks... she'd probably get a kick out of the name at the same time. :D This is a perfect scent for white musk lovers who want something that isn't overpowering and in your face. (broken imp cap)

This imp is traveling as part of the General Catalogue Swap.

Ah, the fabled Embalming Fluid. Why have I never sniffed you?!

Wet: Lemon of doom!

Drying: Scent mellows some, but still LEMON OF DOOM! No welts, which can happen with lemon oil. This is good. But my throat did begin to tighten the longer I wore it. What happened to the musk, tea, and aloe? Yeah, hidden by the amped lemon.

Although I loathe comparing any one oil to another oil (as I think each has its merits and should be able to be reviewed independently), Embalming Fluid is the kissing cousin of Zephyr, which really wasn’t my thing either.

Pass.

Safe travels lemony implet!

if the lemon in Dorian is sweet lemon cookies... then this is lemon zest. (gratings from the peel, not soap)

was it the Healing Gardens who came out with the Green Tea Therapy stuff about ten years ago or thereabouts?

add some lemon and white musk to that....

i like it, strangely enough. so fresh and clean smelling, i can't see myself wearing it much, but it'd be nice to add it to my collection [=

This to me is the perfect work scent. It's clean, fresh and fruity without being annoying to your office mates. I think the fruity notes really help this clean fresh scent have a somewhat girly and cheery feel. I just felt great all day wearing Embalming Fluid. :P I will definitely be buying a bottle of this.

I've been wanting to try this one for a while, and finally got my chance. I got it and Kumiho in the same swap, and they make an appropriate pairing, as they're both very light, clean scents. But I think I like this the better of the two.

Lemon is not high on my list of favourite notes, but here it's fairly gentle, and doesn't overpower the other notes the way it sometimes can. Maybe it's the musk that tones it down... There's a citrussy brightness here, but it's moderated by the softness of the musk, and the overall impression is not so much soapy-clean like Kumiho, but gently bright, and with just enough complexity to be quietly interesting.

I think I like it - it's quite different from most of the scents I enjoy, but it's very pleasant, and would be good for situations in which the spicier and more incensey scents I usually like would be overkill. This would be something I'd pick for a setting where I just wanted a tiny trace of pleasant scent, detectable to no one but me.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to last any longer than Kumiho (about 15 minutes, for the record). I'd hoped the musk would give it some staying power, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Ah well. Maybe I'll have to experiment with putting it on a wider variety of places, or in my hair or something, because this is definitely likable enough to try to find a way to prolong it.

Grade: B (B+ if I could somehow get it to last)

Lemon -- but with a creamy softness, and a subtle green note that creeps up in the dry down. Lovely.

Embalming Fluid-

In Bottle: Ooh, I love how sweet and light and pretty this is. I can't really detect the white musk yet but I'm looking to see if it shows up on my skin.

Wet: Lemon jumps out at me, but soft like lemon-and-sugar tea; nothing like lemon furniture polish.

Dry: A very pretty scent, perhaps a little sweet. I like the white musk note in it.

Overall: Conditionally like; a little sweet.

Ah, the first BPAL imp I ever tried (thanks copyshopclerk!).

In the bottle: clean lemony goodness, maybe sharpened a bit by the green tea or aloe. I'm not good at picking out notes.

Wet: one early review describes the wet scent as sweet, fresh, lemonade, and that's exactly what I get as well. This is my favorite stage.

Dry: the lemon falls back and allows the greener scents to come forward. Then the musk becomes more apparent and sticks around for the drydown. This lingering scent is okay, but I don't love it.

Overall: Not a bad scent at all, especially for an inexperienced perfume customer like me. Light, refreshing, and as others have pointed out, a great choice for summer. The end stage is what's preventing me from wanting a bottle.

I've also combined some of my imp's oil with unscented lotion to make an Embalming Fluid lotion, which is quite lovely. I don't notice the musk or green tea much and mostly get the gentle lemon.

In the bottle: Lemon! Lemony lemon.

Wet: Really, I'm still just getting lemon.

Drydown: This smells like lemonade. It is very light and sweet-smelling, but I'm getting almost all lemon and only the tiniest hint of green tea. Lemon and I generally do not get along because I amp it up.

While wearing: This fades down to practically nothing after the inital LEMON!! burst. It's too bad, because I think I would have liked it (despite it being my archnemisis, lemon).

In the imp: Just as advertised, all four notes distinguishable. Clear and clean and bright, understated citrus. Even the musk is buoyant. This is really pretty.

On me, wet: The aloe and musk jump up immediately, with the tea almost disappearing. A little richer than in the imp as a result.

On me, dry: The musk warms up on me and becomes a little sharp. The tea note has come back, interestingly, as has the lemon (slightly). The aloe is gone. It seems to want to go powdery, but so far has managed to avoid it. (Later) I think musk just finishes strangely on my skin; it's turned a little sour and nose-tickly just like Iago did.

In the bottle: light green tea

Initial application: the lemon comes out, but it's not overpowering for me. The green tea is still the predominant note.

Drydown: a clean, understated tea and citrus scent, very nice for the workplace. It's almost identical to Shanghai on my skin.

Smiley rating: :P

Well, it's evening, and the LAN boys are playing poker. I'm about to start another baking spree, so I'll have some scent to keep me company *grin*

In the imp: Lemon Tea! I love the scent of green tea, I just can't find one that sticks around for long enough.

Wet on skin: Lemon zest in green tea with something sweet as well.

Dry: more green tea, the lemon drops back a little, I'm getting that rounded scent thing I most often get with musks, especially white musk. If I think hard about it I can detect what must be the aloe, there's a similar feel I got from Hungry Ghost Moon.

Despite the connotations associated with the name (my SIL had a sniffie and said, it's really quite nice and all, but I don't know that you'd want to be telling people you're wearing Embalming Fluid...!), this is a bright and happy scent for me, and another I could wear to work to keep me sane. Two out of two for me today, as this is better than I imagined it would be - this goes onto the bottle ownage list! It's lasted longer than an hour which means it's worth it to me to get this, seeing as green tea just doesn't want to last on me ...

Imp: Crisp, fresh, and light; lemon tea.

On: Lemony and bright, and the musk gently appears.

While this is not the sort of scent I'd usually wear, I have become hooked on it as a relaxing bedtime scent. I'll get a bottle, eventually.

Whew! Well this one certainly stands out! :D

Out of the imp I get a fresh, lemon verbena. The lemon is overwhelming for me!

On my skin the lemon dies down just a bit (but not nearly enough as it should :D) and a crushed herb scent steps foward just a bit (that must be the tea and aloe). I'm not getting any musk in thsi blend at all.

I can see why so many people love Embalming Fluid. It definitly stands out, has AMAZING throw and is a great, fresh pick-me-up sort of scent. Unfortunatly on me it turns into lemon floor polish and makes me feel a bit ill :P

Scent: Embalming Fluid

Bottle: High, sweet, and cold - like flowers under perma-frost. It's a fairly floral scent, but quite appropriately has something dark lurking under it.

Wet: Almost a lemony sort of floral on my wrists. There's a bite like some kind of mint under it, but I completely can't peg it as mint (especially since I usually don't like mint). There's a lily scent in here too.

First Break: Still very much lilies on ice sort of scent. It really didn't change a whole lot, surprisingly.

Lunch: By lunch, however, the scent is gone. *sigh* Oh well. It stayed floral, but not sickeningly so, the whole time.

I caught the lemon and thought it was mint (that's twice now I've done that). I don't know where I got the lily from - maybe it was the green tea. The aloe was one of the "cold" sources - I always associate the scent of aloe gel with cooling. All in all, a highly strange scent, but I like it.