Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Embalming Fluid

A light, pure scent: white musk, green tea, aloe and lemon.

Embalming Fluid is one of the freshest, cleanest BPAL blends I've tried. This is instant "cooling" perfume for me, and perfect for the summer months. To my nose, it smells a lot like Dorian without the vanilla cream notes.

I'm going to be using this one next week when the temps are in the upper 80s and I feel like a sweat factory!

Lemon and musk. Again with that musk like The Body Shop made/makes. I'm missing the tea, unless... no- it can't be that chemically smell in there, can it? Definitely very lemony, although not in a freshly cut open lemon way, but more in an acidic lemon dishwasher detergent way. Almost lemon scented bleachy.

This faded quickly, and I'm not very upset that it did. I was hoping for more tea, and less chemical. I do wonder if this would layer well with something, although I'm not sure what. I tried it with a few of my milky scents and it wasn't very pleasant. Maybe to add to a fruity or flowery scent? I'm really not sure.

It seems that Embalming Fluid splits us into two groups- those who smell great with it, and those who turn into cleaning products. Ah well. I guess it's oddly befitting, since REAL embalming fluid proably IS fairl y cleaning-producty, one would imagine.

This is super super nice.

The lemon was more noticable upon application, but now it's just faded into the light tea-and-musk scent. This is very light and softly refreshing. Not icy-refreshing, but sitting in the backyard after a shower, sipping on some lemonade refreshing. All I can smell is skin and slightly sweetened lemon tea carried on a breeze.

I'm going to see how long this lasts on me, but if it does, this is going on my big bottle list.

In the Bottle: Very lemony. Very clean

On Skin: Smells like lemony tea. It reminds me alot of Shanghai.

On Drydown: Still very similar to Shanghai, perhaps a bit sweeter.

Verdict: I honestly can't distinguish between this and Shanghai. There might be tonal differences... but I'm not getting them.

My Impression: Wow, this one surprised me competely. It is light, crisp, clean, & citrusy with a lovely tea note. An excellent scent for soapmaking...This embodies clean itself. The longer it is on the more I like it and I did like it right out of the bottle..I may have to purchase a bottle of this...

in the bottle: green tea and lemonade.

wet on skin: wow, this is absolutely perfect for the weather we've been having in my area lately. It's the perfect foil to hot and sticky. This is clean and fresh smelling, without being artificial.

dry: to me, this smells like a green tea variety of Dorian, without the cream and extra lemon. Nice!

In the imp- Almost pure lemon with notes of orange

Wet- The tea note comes out here, along with a sugary sweetness

Dry on skin- A warm cup of green tea with sugar and lemon. There are a few hints of musk that make it soothing. The aloe note didn't hit me until I had it on for about 20 minutes.

I love this one. To me it would be perfect for warm, flowing spring and summer nights

I'm frankly shocked that I haven't reviewed Embalming Fluid - oh, the things that slip your mind.

Embalming Fluid makes me very happy and calm. It's bright, but not overly sweet. It very much reminds me of a warm spring day spent out at the local botanical gardens - and I'm not sure why as it's not remotely floral. But, it very strongly evokes that memory. I can only conclude that I've worn it out there at some point. It's not a super!lemon scent on me, though it is indeed lemony (if you can see the difference LOL). Mostly, it's a sublime blend of the tea, white musk, aloe and then the lemon. It's very clean and lovely to the nth degree. I've had repeat impage of this over the last year of Bpaling, but it's only been recently that I ordered a bottle. When it came, I sat there for several moments sniffing it and just feeling very content and at peace. It's now become one of my must always have blends. :P

Embalming Fluid is actually the "Chosen One" to be my first test from my very first order ever - and I don't think I could have chosen better!

Ironically, it doesn't seem as "cool" on me as it does on a lot of others. To me, it seems to walk the line between cool and warm. It's a very potent scent, in that I used a very tiny drop on my wrist about 2 hours ago and the scent is still wafting up to my nose constantly...it's very enjoyable!

When I first opened the imp, I was a little put off. It smelled very...grandma to me, for lack of a better way to put it. Very citrus/floral-y. However, there was something lying underneath that urged me to put it on. I discovered that once it dried, it calmed down into a lovely green tea/musky scent. I can barely detect the hint of citrus, that doesn't seem to be a dominant note on my skin with this blend.

All in all, I'm very pleased not only with the scent itself, but in the choice I made for the first bpal scent to grace my skin! :P

My first impression of this scent was Healing Gardens Green Tea. It smells exactly like that, and I really hate that scent (it makes me kind of nauseous). I decided to be brave and wear it anyway, and it did develop a lemonyness, but not enough to cover or change the HGGT. Too bad.

In the bottle: Very nice lemony scent, but not too acidic.

Wet: Very light lemon, slightly cleaner-ish.

Dry: I have no idea. This literally evaporates the minute it hits my skin. Really, no kidding, I've put on about 1/4 imp over the course of two hours, and nothing. I think I'll try mixing it with lotion to see if I can get it to hold longer.

Oh man. I got this in my most recent order, which came today, and while opening the Imp I accidentally smeared the tip of my finger with oil. So I swiped it across the inside of my wrist and now I cannot stop sniffing.

This is gorgeous. It's a light, clean smell, but also very round-- the citrus is prominent, but it's not jangly, cleaning-product lemon, it's lemon as in actual fruit. There's a bitter green note backing it... definitely the tea.... and the musk gives it some substance and keeps it from being too thin. I think the aloe is partially responsible for the soothing qualities of the blend... this stuff is fantastic. I want to roll in it. This would make a brilliant room scent or... imagine if my sheets smelled like this...

I'm in love. This is just.... fantastic. :P

Edited by WidgetAlley

Wet: Nice and light lemony, like fresh-squeezed... and then straight to Lemon Pledge, 2 seconds after skin contact.

Dry: Warms up to something non-Pledgy and nice... and then gone, two minutes after that. Just. It's the complete opposite of White Rabbit, which I couldn't get to come OFF OF ME.

Second, larger dose lasted a bit longer, and it's there if I absolutely plant my nose on my wrist, but that's it. Shame, so many scents trigger either my sinuses or my head, I hate to let go of one that doesn't. :P

Much later: it's like my wrist is particularly clean, like there's a sheen of pure water on it. But again, that's with my nose planted to skin. Maybe it would last longer not on my skin? Hard to say.

It's worth every penny of the price of this oil just to be able to say to people who ask, "What perfume are you wearing?" "Embalming Fluid!"

Fun title aside, I love love love this fragrance. It's refreshing and clean, very different from most other perfumes.

In the bottle: Lemon. Lemon, lemon, and then some aloe, then green tea. And lemon.

Wet on me: The lemon is a little more balanced with the other fragrances, so now it's kind of a citrusy herbal. I'm not getting any musk, but that's okay; I don't like musk scents.

Drying: The aloe is starting to come through as the dominant note, followed by the green tea, and then the lemon.

Dry: The aloe stays. Yay, aloe. I always feel like it's spring when I'm wearing this and I'm somewhere near swim-worthy water. Definitely a favorite.

In the imp: Lemon tea! Mmm.

Wet on skin: Oooh, lemon lemon lemon. It's like I'm wearing lemonade.

Drydown: It disappeared for a bit, but now I'm getting this sense of Elizabeth Arden's Green Tea, which is a perfume I'm gradually running out of right now. Ahhh.

Not sure on a bottle of this, though I'll keep the imp for sure.

Hmmm this does remind me of the types of cleaning products I gravitate towards- lemony/tea. It feels clean. It isn't the type of scent I want to wear, as it makes me feel like I am doing housekeeping, but it's an awesome room scent. This is the kind of aroma that lends itself to throwing open the windows and letting in fresh air and sunlight, letting the light make the freshly polished wood glow.

The imp for this was very full when I received it, so when I opened it, it kind of spattered on my hands. Luckily, this isn't one of those heavy scents that start out by giving me a mild headache. No, Embalming Fluid is exactly as advertised--light and clean. It smells kind of like the Platonic ideal of soap.

The lemon is evident, but the rest blends so smoothly that I'm hard-pressed to identify the individual notes right away. Actually, as time passes, it does kind of become a powdery, soapy smell, with a faint hint of lemon, but nothing else I can distinguish. I think I can catch the aloe, but the musk disappears, and I never caught any green tea at all.

And even with the extra spatter, it still faded very quickly on my skin. Not a keeper for me, but it's a pleasant enough scent. Very calming.

This is another frimp that is fastly becoming one of my favourite scents. I would make everyone at least try an imp of this because it is divine, Its a really fresh lemony/green tea blend that is just so fresh and uplifting. I would like loads of bottles of this so that I can make it into body lotion, shampoo, conditioner and soap and bubble bath and anything else I can think of to slather over myself.

Divine!

Embalming Fluid makes me want to throw a tea party! The green tea and lemon smell so good. When the white musk just settles in, I just kept breathing in the freshness of my skin.

In the imp: Citrus. Lemon, I would assume.

On, wet: The green tea rears up and takes control. All I smell is green tea.

5 minutes: The green tea and the lemon are duking it out for dominance. The musk and the aloe are nowhere to be found.

15 minutes: It's a balanced mix of the lemon and green tea now, but it's very faint. The curse of citrus -- doomed to fade quickly. It's nice, but not long-lived. Three for three in the "finish the imp, don't buy a bottle" sweepstakes.

In the imp: The tea and musk give this a bit of a piney scent with some good bright lemon shot through. It also had something in it that reminded me of a type of insense used at my church when I was a kid.

Wet: Light and lemony but not like cleaner.

Dry down: Light citrus still smelling like church insense. Not bad at all, and lasts about half the day. Very light and unobtrusive.

Think I'll use it on occasion, but it's probably not a big bottle purchase.

Embalming Fluid is my first love-it scent in the Funereal Oils category. It's the same green tea and lemon scent that I loved so much in Shanghai... only stronger, better, smoother and with more throw.

I love green tea. Embalming Fluid is a bit more crisp and green than Shanghai. Not quite as lemony as Shanghai. The aloe and white musk make it smooth, with an almost powdery (but not baby powdery) softness.

ETA: This was a smoother scent back in 2005. In the 2016 frimps I've gotten of this, it's very soapy and sharp, like generic, chemical, white soap suds, and the powder is definitely reading as funky baby powder on my skin now.

Edited by Little Bird

Wow. I hadn't expected to particularly like Embalming Fluid, but it was included as a free imp in an order I just received, and I liked how it smelled in the vial. In the vial, it smells cool and citrusy and slightly sharp. Wet on, it goes strongly lemony for a bit, then fades and the green tea comes through. Like Mel_K said, this is a lot like Healing Garden's greenteatherapy, except I liked that line (I used to have the perfume spray, and basically used it all up). This is more citrusy, and has the warmth of the white musk underneath. I'm not a fan of white musk most of the time but in this instance it's working simply as an anchor. I'm not sure if Embalming Fluid will turn out to be a "me" scent, but it sure is lovely.

In the bottle:

Light green with a soft lemon note

On me:

This is a very light scent, the green tea note is very airy and light. There is a slightly medicinal like herbal quality to this - not that it smells like medicine per se, but it has that "herbal remedy" kind of vibe with it. The lemon note is very slight on me, I can definitely tell that it's there, but it's in the background, just complimenting the green tea scent.

Final note:

A very fresh, clean scent. It's not really for me though, I might like this on someone else however.

First off, I adore lemon. And green tea. So I suppose it only makes sense that Embalming Fluid rocks my world.

Wet: lemon! lemonlemonlemon! I smell like lemonade!

Dry: There's the tea cozying up to that lemon. It really smalls like lemon green tea, with the slightest touch of that white musk.

This is the stuff I wear when I'm tired and grouchy and in no mood to get up or do anything. By the drydown I'm all happy and chipper.