Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Justice

I'm a Libra, and a law student, and Justice is my significator card in my readings (I know, insert rant about it being presumptuous to have a Major as "your" card -- I just identify with it, that's all. And it shows up all the time.) So I had to try this.

Anyhow, I somehow ended up with two different imps of this, one tarted, one with the standard lab sticker-label, and I tried one on each arm. They're mostly the same, except the tarted oil was much stronger and richer.

What do I get from this scent? Like others have said, it's quite difficult to describe. Floral, yes, herbal, somewhat, definitely soft and powdery but not submissive -- it's too rich to be "light" but too soft to be "strong." Well-balanced indeed.

The notes are difficult to pick out, although this is the first oil I've ever gotten true tea notes from. I'm almost certain there's also some violet in there (it's much stronger in the tarted oil), and possibly some amber, now that I read other reviews. Nothing particularly resinous or woody about this, at least not like any the true BPAL woods I've tried.

It's polished and womanly, but it feels more like an older woman's scent, one who's casual and calm and refined, but not stuffy. Sweet and understanding, but also very intelligent and competent.

I can't make up my mind whether I like this. On the one hand, I do get soap from violets, and a headache, almost invariably. On the other hand, it's a very compelling and familiar scent, too. I'll have to try it a bit more and see...although sadly, it's not really feeling like what I get from the Justice card.

Origin:

The Tarot Series Circle.

First sniff:

Floral and somewhat herbal. I’m terrible at identifying floral notes, so I can’t pin down what’s in here more definitely than that. It’s very slightly sharp and a tiny bit bitter, not heady or sweet at all.

Wet on skin:

No real change from in the imp: a slightly sharp, slightly bitter floral with a tiny bit of something herbal. I’m really not a floral fan, unfortunately, so Justice isn’t quite something I’d wear.

Dry down:

The sharpness has really increased as Justice dried. I’m not sure what kind of flowers are in here, but I really don’t care for them.

The bottom line:

Definitely not for me. Too sharp and floral for my tastes.

This smells like some sort of citrus, but I cannot pick out what kind. It's like lemon or orange, but not quite. There's also a dry woods smell in the background. Maybe sandalwood and sage. Trying on Tarot Oils is always like playing a guessing game to me. Citrus - woods - herbal. In the first stage at least.

For a while this has a great burst of sugary sweetness, but it quickly dries down into what smells like green tea, ozone, and some sort of floral on me. It's giving me a headache and I'm not sure why. Reading over the other reviews, yes, perhaps this has violet in it. Violet can sometimes go bad on me and give me a headache, and it would account for that slightly soapy floral smell that I'm getting.

In the end this is probably too much floral for me. I doubt that I'll be getting a full bottle of this one.

At first this had a note that strongly disagreed with me, something that smelled kind of like men's cologne and yet fake-sweet at the same time. It was really hard for me to smell past this to indentify any other notes. But once that note finally wore off, this smelled *very* similar to Numb, just a bit softer and more rounded. So I will agree with those who think there's some violet in here.

The overall effect is very calm, cool, and balanced.

Justice

Got this in a swap with Loligo.

Justice starts out as an original and pleasant mix between cinnamony/spicy, citrusy/fruity and soapy/fresh. As it dries, the soap unfortionately takes over and it turns into a soapy freshness with a warming undertone of something spicy/woody. It's not unpleasant but I don't like the soap-tingling in my nose.

I also get a violet hit from this, but after the drydown, it becomes more spicy, with just a very slight "masculine" edge to it. I also get an incense hit from this, though I'm not sure if its sandalwood or something else.

I work in the criminal justice field, and I am so glad that I like this one! It's going to be my "wear to court" scent from now on.

Ooooh a gorgeous orange plus perhaps grapefruit scent. It's really lovely and fruity, and smells like something Lush-related. I can't place it

It's herby-citrusy good.

It's really faint on my skin, however, and is absorbed quickly. I can't smell it ten minutes later. That part is really disappointing. Not much point in putting it on unless I intend to sniff close to my arm.

Er... I might keep the imp anyway.

Justice

Violets and a warm tea note. The tea note is slightly woodsy and the violet note seems to vary in intensity during drydown-- it is light at the beginning, then the tea note is strong, then the violet dominates completely with just a hint of tea. Not the worst violet blend on me, but violetty blends don't usually work for me so this won't be a keeper.

Grapefruit blossoms... and powder.

This starts off very light and disappears quickly on my skin. It's very refreshing, with hints of floral and citrus...

Nice, but not a keeper.

In the vial: I feel like I've gone crazy. Obviously there are no notes listed for the tarot blends, but I *swear* I smell iced tea. Maybe some light flowers, too.

Wet: Now there are stronger flowers. Maybe carnation? The tea scent isn't nearly as strong, though it's still present.

Drydown: It's interesting. For a while it was a little warm, a sense of heat rising off myskin. Now, there's something cool. Not mint, but an herb, I think. The floral's toned down, too. I actually really like this.

Some hours later: Oh! Violet. Yes, someone else compared this to Numb and I agree. This is Numb light with an iced tea lead-in and just a hint of powder. Surprisingly, still liking it.

First sniff: Light, fresh and airy, with a little bit of soapiness.

Wearing: Lightly, sweetly floral, and slightly powdery. It goes pure violet powder for a little while as it dries, but the final version is gorgeous. Softly sweet and almost foody.

In the bottle: Bergamot or orange with a slight soapy twinge.

First on: I smell like men's soap. Generic men's soap. LIke Old Spice or something. I can't pick out any notes, but I know that I smell clean!

Drydown: Still sort of a masculine soap smell. It's nice, and I bet it would smell great on a hot guy right out of he shower, but definitely not for me.

Overall: I'm not sure how this relates to justice, other than that it's a cleansing sort of scent while being very present in it's form.

This was my first Tarot Oil, received as a frimp from the Lab.

Wet, this was definitely mellow and yellow. Very citrus, especially lemon. Dry, there's a bit of ginger or something spicy like that coming out, still lemony on the outside, though. I found this very refreshing. Slightly sweet and fruity, but mostly just nice.

Soft, pale florals. Almost sweet enough to the headache gods down upon my noggin, but not quite. There is a little light resin here, maybe a lighter amber, and a woodiness I can't quite place. Very grounded and balanced feel.

Justice - When I first apply this oil, I smell a whole lot of "almost nothing." What little scent is there is virtually impossible to identify. It's perhaps just the tiniest bit herbal, but that's about it. It's incredibly light and subtle. As it warms up on my skin, it becomes slightly stronger (at least enough to smell it), but overall, it remains a very light, subtle, and subdued scent. As it warms up and I can smell it a little better, I'm fairly certain I detect a touch of very light amber, violets, and something outdoorsy but soft like perhaps... moss? I really don't know. It's so hard to say. This is definitely a complex blend and as much as it sticks close to my skin, five hours after application, it still smells as strong as it did at the beginning. It's very pretty, but way too light for my taste.

this oil starts out smelling very outdoorsy - wood and herbs. there is something sharp in the background. as it dries, I get a soapy smell... :P

This scent reminds me A LOT of Bewitched. It's just a little more herbal and a little less berry, but overall, pretty much the same sort of scent. A little floral, a little berry, a little herby, and a little resin-y. Like others have said, light, pretty balanced. Definitely a keeper and on my Big Bottle list.

Justice is one of my favorite Tarot cards, so it's fitting that I should like this oil. :P It's a light fruit scent -- some sort of berry rather than something like peach or melon, with either some kind of incense or resin floating around it.

Wet on the wand and straight on the skin: aquatic and yellow flowers. Very light, makes me think of spring at high noon - vibrant and lots of light.

On the dry down: green comes in, grounding it and giving it a sharpness. Behind the green comes the woods. Still spring, still very bright and floral, but not sweet or cloying.

Further in: Sunflowers, cut green grass, grove of woods, sunlight. There's something spicy lying underneath - my nose can sense it, but it translates to a sharpness of shadows where things aren't really hiding so much as being what they are.

Fading out: The flowers are fading a bit along with the light. Leaves with more wood, green and now the resin makes its appearance. Still slightly sharp, but not cutting.

My description: This is Justice. Balanced, complex, thoughtful and full of dignity. Seems a bit ironic considering the imagery it gave... it started with an approach through a meadow, with lots of fresh air and light, grass and yellow flowers... up to a grove of woods and ended with being right inside the edge of the woods where one can experience every aspect as it is (no sugaring or excuses made). But consider that there is no wind, no sound - none of those things which distract the eyes from seeing clearly. Just a brightness and vibrancy that brings everything to light. Rather elegant, but not to be taken lightly or for granted.

oooooh i love this one. all i get is amber with a slight spice of some sort? maybe some woods. i am having trouble picking out anything but the amber. this scent is warm and comforting and i want a big bottle :P

This is light and woody smelling. It’s an airy scent, ethereal. There are light flowers, violet in particular. It reminds me of how Yggdrasil felt – light, airy, full of life. There’s herbs and a light spice there too. It’s quite complex and difficult to describe. As it wears it remains quite light and soft. The violet is becoming stronger now. It’s not the cool detached violet that’s in Numb or Yog Sothoth, nor the sweet sugary violet of Faith. This is slightly spicy (like it has a touch of lavender there), airy lavender.

It’s a soothing scent and I’m reminded why I’ve been on the lookout for a bottle of this for a long time.

I grabbed a bottle of this more for the concept than for the scent, but happily, I'm liking the scent as well.

This is green, sweetly herbal rather than floral or woody. And it's medicinal - yet in a good way, somehow. I'm thinking of mint, of sage, and of green tea, and there's something aquatic about it as well. It's a great summer scent, very green and light. It makes me think of a scent to wear when you need a clear mind, to think logically and make the right decision as the Justice figure must. Which is precisely what I wanted it for, so I'm happy on all counts.

Bought untested from lab in panic at discontinuation:

In the bottle: Hmm. Tea - not a green tea, a darker tea - and orange blossom and woods and amber.

On me, wet: light tea and musk and woods, but very faint.

On me, dry: a dark tea-spilled-on-burnished-wood smell. And violets turning powdery beside it, sigh.

Verdict: Alas, it was not to be. Violets are not my friend.