Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
caffinatedangel

Quirkiest, most bizarre oils

I think the strangest ones I own are probably the vegetably-type blends, like Mandrake, The Mandrake Charm, Garden of Death and Solitary and Abhorred. They remind me of the smell of my great-grandmother's root cellar with its earthen floor, crumbling wooden beams, and the smell of piles of winter vegetables, dried herbs and leathery winter apples. I absolutely love them for that "organic" smell I've only found in places where the produce still has the soil it grew in clinging to it, and the fruit comes from ancient trees.

Also Cleopatra Testing Poisons on Those Condemned to Death. That one smells absolutely toxic. *gg*

The Wiley Grasser. Pine and cotton candy. I mean, seriously? I love that one.

Ya Te Vo. A big pile of Eucalyptus. :lol:

Santa Muerte. Dirt (or soil actually) and roses.

Edited by stellamaris

Adding two more -

Ultraviolet (GC) - eucalyptus, Minty Violet. I will be testing this one tonight, as I bought a 5ml unsniffed...reviews were mixed, but since I adore all three of the notes, I'm hoping I will love this.

Blood (GC) - I kind of want to like this one, because there is an incensy depth to it, but the metallic tang mixed with the dragon's Blood (which, I normally LOVE dragon's Blood), it's like...off putting to me. Not that it smells bad, but it just makes my skin crawl...I can see why they call it Blood! :lol:

Schrodinger's Cat is a very strange mix of notes that still ends up working.

Bacon, Chocolate, and cassia-but on me-I love it's smokiness!

goes upstairs to find her bottle before heading out to freezing cold

A funeral. LARPing a sluagh.

I award you 10 internetz for the Changeling: The Dreaming reference.

What did I say that about?

UNFORTUNATE SHOPPING CART

Powder-coated steel, caster wheels, cling wrap, and blood.

It shouldn't work on me, but man it does. The metal is lovely and the blood is almost sweet on my skin. It's a fantastic blend actually, comes across as almost aquatic but wearable since I hate most aquatic scents.

Pretty much anything in the WKAP line is quirky as hell. I bought a bottle of Cupcake Spatter Pattern Analysis (Frosted chocolate cupcakes and filth) right from it's initial release at SDCC 2009 and had to get rid of it after about a year of aging. The filth become more prominent on me than the chocolate. Smelled like chocolate over rotting garbage.

What did I say that about?

Where one would wear the scent of dirt, I believe. :)

Ah. Well you've made me smile.

I loved the Unfortunate Shopping cart and it and the whole line it was from was quirky indeed

My favorite was Joyeux Noel, which is the only mint scent I've been able to wear safely. I wish I had bought a bottle.

Breathless horror is certainly unusual and Inextinguishable hatred is deliciously quirky.

Edited by Gwydion

I am quite new to BPAL, but so far The Scarecrow is the most unusual scent that I have tried. It's true to it's description - dry, hot, barren. One of the most unusual things I have ever smelt .... it was too unnatural and sharp on me so I had to wash it off.

I haven't tried too many of the bizarre oils yet. I got a frimp of Brimstone. I thought it smelled interesting in the imp, so I put it on. Whoa. Something about it made me nauseous. It wasn't pleasant. It wasn't absolutely horrible smelling, but it really did make my stomach knot up. I haven't experienced that kind of negative physical reaction with bpal before.

Brimstone was the one I initially thought while reading this thread. It was the first BPAL scent that made me gag once it was on my skin. Maybe it was too fresh of an imp as it has many positive reviews. But it was one that I had to wash off immediately and wanted to put it in a couple plastic baggies to keep the smell away!

I was originally going to offer Lawn Gnome. It's one of my favorites because there's just so darn many things going on with it, it practically qualifies for it's own entry in the DSM-IV.

Then I noticed that you said you like rootbeer scents CaffinatedAngel, and for the truly bizarre in rootbeer I'd recommend The Elephantine Colosuss. Rootbeer, buttered popcorn, and something dark and alarming that I can't put a finger on. Based on the description, I just desperately wanted it to be my signature scent... however, that "something wicked this way comes" element it has going on weirded me out a bit too much.

It's pretty much just what foreboding smells like.

Then I noticed that you said you like rootbeer scents CaffinatedAngel, and for the truly bizarre in rootbeer I'd recommend The Elephantine Colosuss. Rootbeer, buttered popcorn, and something dark and alarming that I can't put a finger on. Based on the description, I just desperately wanted it to be my signature scent... however, that "something wicked this way comes" element it has going on weirded me out a bit too much.

The Elephantine Colossus certainly is one of the more unique BPALs I've ever smelled --- I LOVE it, and save it for special occasions, as it does have a really sexy/frightening thing going on. On me it's very red musky mixed with the salt of the popcorn and sweetness of something sexy, but in a way like... does anybody remember on America's Next Top Model cycle 7 (Caridee's cycle) when they did the "circus freak" photo shoot? And they were all sexy carnies? This smells like that. Like these pictures:

caridee-elephant-nose_large.jpg

circus%2Bfreak%2Bantm.jpg

Amanda_Michelle_5.jpg

Just like that. And I love it.

Edited by Eoife Macbeth

Danse Macabre is also very interesting, I'm wearing it today and am having a hard time placing the smell... musky musty herbal? It's always a little unsettling but I can't help but wear it :D

The Appalling Abbatoir. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not disgusted by it--in my opinion it's a fascinating scent because it smells exactly like what it's supposed to--blood and metal. The tang of the blood is there and everything! I have no idea how Beth did it but it's extremely true to life.

The Appalling Abbatoir. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not disgusted by it--in my opinion it's a fascinating scent because it smells exactly like what it's supposed to--blood and metal. The tang of the blood is there and everything! I have no idea how Beth did it but it's extremely true to life.

I second Appalling Abattoir and would like to add the bloody banister.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Kali. It has such an odd combination of so many ingredients and they all tend to stand out. I get many comments on it when I wear it. It is a little like the centozin tz-whatever (the however many rabbits Aztec scent) but much more complex.

In my collection, I'd say the most bizarre oils are The Bloody Banister, Bonfire Night, Mandrake, and the newest Planting Moon. I don't know if I would have sought out any of them before I got hooked on BPAL, and I don't really wear any of them often, but each of them is brilliant in its own way.

Sometimes I buy BPAL oils because of how strange they are, so in my collection - definitely BTOD1, which really does (as per its reviews) smell of roast chicken and pencil shavings; I also find Kinnabari v4 absolutely extraordinary as it absolutely smells of something mineral and unsettling and I will never understand how the Lab achieves that kind of thing!

Outside of prototypes, Hand of Glory may be comforting candles and spice to some people but for me it alarmingly does what it says on the tin; I also find Pumpkin Smash quite gritty and disturbing. Also I'm currently waiting on a decant of Halloween In Innsmouth because I couldn't resist something people said genuinely smelled like fish and incense :D

I kept Gore-Shock for a while for its novelty value as well but eventually traded it away because it was more like bacon than anything else and I wanted it to be creepier :x