Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
caffinatedangel

Quirkiest, most bizarre oils

I have just tried Destroying Angel and it is the oddest thing. A "thin" soil scent. Initial sniff from the imp is definitely fungal. I like it but where would you wear it?

Robotic Scarab is odd and just lovely! It doesn't smell like jellybeans, in fact it doesn't smell like anything else I've tried. It's cool and metallic and slightly leathery, but not at all overly masculine. It's hard to describe, but very very awesome.

Hellfire is weirdly sweet tobacco with leather.

Not impable, but not exactly something you would expect from a perfume: Mad Sweeny. Smells like a single malt whiskey. I adore this one.

kill-devil. it's my one unique do-i-love-it-or-just-endure-it sort of fragrance. i still can't decide but i like to sniff the bottle.

now me? i love zombi. my husband wears it almost everyday and to me zombi is the scent of sexy, sexy man. ditto for umbra.

I think some of the most bizarre and interesting oils I've tried have been Death Cap, Black Opal, and Nosferatu. Perversion is very interesting too... it has interesting notes that just work SO well together.

OK, so today, with the new release and all, I placed an order of imps alongside the Crawdad crazyness XD. It just sounded too unique to pass up :3

These are the imps I chose: Tzadikim Nistarim, Gluttony, Shango, Centzon Totochtin, Ogun, The Robotic Scarab, Jack, Miskatonic University, Masabakes, Hermia, Horreur Sympathique, Tezcatlipoca

Many were listed here, and others I stumbled on and thought would be delicious. When this order gets to me, I imagine my nose will get quite a workout XD

I also, through trades, am going to receive Death Cap (and many others) which I am quite excited about.

Thanks, again, for all the awesome suggestions. Even though I didn't order all mentioned (cause eegads, how could I? lol) I'll definitely be trading and ordering some later. yays. <333

Edited by CaffinatedAngel

<snip>

These are the imps I chose: Tzadikim Nistarim, Gluttony, Shango, Centzon Totochtin, Ogun, The Robotic Scarab, Jack, Miskatonic University, Masabakes, Hermia, Horreur Sympathique, Tezcatlipoca

<more snip>

neat! i have bottles of shango, miskatonic university and hermia so i can highly recommend all three of those.

Juke Joint. It smells like a '40s juke joint. First you smell the mint, then there's this whiff of cigarettes--that first drag, when a cig is first lit and someone takes a drag, it smells SO GOOD and then of course it goes to hell, but you only get that first drag in Juke Joint. And then it goes to bourbon, and then it goes sweet and a little sweaty. It's amazing.

And then Death Cap, my all-time weird BPAL. It is the forest floor, loamy, mushroomy and incredibly sexy. With my body chemistry it smells like raw sex to my husband, and I have to be careful when I wear it--seriously. It's a straight shot to his lizard brain, and I find myself in very compromising positions if I'm not careful.

Juke Joint. It smells like a '40s juke joint. First you smell the mint, then there's this whiff of cigarettes--that first drag, when a cig is first lit and someone takes a drag, it smells SO GOOD and then of course it goes to hell, but you only get that first drag in Juke Joint. And then it goes to bourbon, and then it goes sweet and a little sweaty. It's amazing.

And then Death Cap, my all-time weird BPAL. It is the forest floor, loamy, mushroomy and incredibly sexy. With my body chemistry it smells like raw sex to my husband, and I have to be careful when I wear it--seriously. It's a straight shot to his lizard brain, and I find myself in very compromising positions if I'm not careful.

:P I received death cap through a trade, and the first time I tried it was a bit unimpressed. It got sort of "dusty" on me, and the scent wasn't too moving. I think my skin just ate it, though. Sort of depressing ;-;

I got my Imp pack of weirdness today, and am quite happy. Miskatonic I received through a "newbie pack" scent to me, and I adore it. It's solid irish coffee, topped with toffee on me. lol I adore it though, and wear it when I'm just with myself to smell deliciousness. (Invokes too much "Who smells like caramel?" in public :D)

I also got a bottle of Crawdad dreams, and should note that while it's delicious, it's also bizarre. I can't tell what the heck I'm smelling. Not to mention the bottle label and description being insane :D

I can't thank everyone who helped out enough :D lol

I also got a bottle of Crawdad dreams, and should note that while it's delicious, it's also bizarre. I can't tell what the heck I'm smelling. Not to mention the bottle label and description being insane :D

I can't thank everyone who helped out enough :D lol

Too true. :P I clicked on this thread specifically to say that Crawdad Dream is just about the strangest BPAL I've run across in awhile. What does it smell like? Do I like it, don't I like it? Impossible to say.

It sounds like you got a great variety of things in your imp pack! Though I'm late to this party, I'll add in a couple more for anyone else who might be looking for not so normal scents:

Great Sword of War - already mentioned, but bears repeating! :D

Queen Alice - the sand note makes this pretty strange to my nose.

Black Pearl - this smells shimmery. It's really odd. One of my favorites, though. It's definitely got coconut and hazelnut and iris in it, but it's one of those scents that's more than the sum of its parts.

Ulalume - both clean and delicate and heavy and dirty at the same time. It's also a good cheap intro to the lab's dirt note. :D

Did someone already say Hand of Glory? I've never smelled anything like it before. And I LOVE it, in small doses.

Queen Alice - the sand note makes this pretty strange to my nose.
I was going to say Queen Alice, but I wasn't sure how weird other people think it is! It's the ink that I really find bizarre-- and I totally smell ink!

I got my Imp pack of weirdness today, and am quite happy.

Ooo! What do you think of Centzon Totochtin? I hope you love it! :P

I would second Czernoborg. Which was weird, but kept drawing me like a bad boyfriend. Also if you come across the ability to swap for the LE Shill, you might like that. It's smells like buttered popcorn.

I was going to second (third? fourth? fifth? what the hell) my 2 favorites: Masabakes and Troll. I see you already got Masabakes... I hope you like it!

Also, it's GC but unimpable: War. Some days I love it, but other days I'm scared of it. It's an aggressive OMGPEPPER scent. It's a scary pretty lady shoving tiny knives into your face.

Satyr: An experience, if nothing else. No notes are listed, but most people agree on it being civet and patchouli. Some of us think it smells like poop, some of us think it's smells like the divine poop of a unicorn.

The Caterpillar: Mossy and earthy with a touch of florals and a divine incense. When hippies die and go to the Great Headshop in the Sky, this is what it smells like.

You've made me want to try these!!

I haven't tried many scents yet, but I'm pretty fond of Cathedral, which smells like wood and incense, which is not something I would ever expect in a perfume, and Block Buster from Twilight Labs (edit: I tell a lie, I have the other scent of the same name, not the one from TAL), which smells lovely and sweet on me for about three hours...and then smells exactly like Play-Doh. I'd definitely say those are the weirdest I've yet met.

Edited by AlleyKitten

I'll put my two pennies worth in, just for future..hope you're enjoying your weirdo order hehe!!!

I was gonna say..(because I love the more unusual scents)

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo (So fun and smells like pencil erasers on me, the nice sweet smelling kind I had as a kid)

Drink Me (Seems to be a chaos theory of it's own..so many different strange notes..you Never know what your gonna get)

Jailbait It's just a nice novelty scent..start out cinnamon bubblegumey then dries to a nice fruity on me..

:P

Edited by ouch!

I recieved Scarecrow as a frimp, and at first i thought it was very strange, and i didn't like it all that much... but sure enough, it grew on me and it's now one of my favs. It wasn't until the 3rd time that i tried it that i really started loving it though. Smells like sweet grasses and oil to me.

Im going to toss in another recommendation: Laudanum. I tried it this morning and its completely weird. Wet: I get notes of burnt mint and a smidge of medicinal stuff. Dry: Its laudanum right on the nose. And surprisingly wearable. The burnt mint and medicine has faded and the remaining scents is fascinating. This is one of those concept scents - I can totally see a 19th century doctor smelling like this. It belongs with the Steampunk scents.

[edit to note: My imp is aged more than 6+ months. I remember trying this one when it was fresh and hating it, so I recommend swapping someone for an old one]

Edited by rawgirl75

I have just tried Destroying Angel and it is the oddest thing. A "thin" soil scent. Initial sniff from the imp is definitely fungal. I like it but where would you wear it?

A funeral. LARPing a sluagh.

I got my Imp pack of weirdness today...

I think this should be a regular offering from the Lab - you should just be able to ask for an Imp Pack of Weirdness and they'd send you a random selection of 6 of the most bizarre scents that are currently in the GC. :P

I got my Imp pack of weirdness today, and am quite happy.

Ooo! What do you think of Centzon Totochtin? I hope you love it! :P

I absolutely adore it! It's chocolate heaven, for me. Becoming one of my favs.

I got my Imp pack of weirdness today...

I think this should be a regular offering from the Lab - you should just be able to ask for an Imp Pack of Weirdness and they'd send you a random selection of 6 of the most bizarre scents that are currently in the GC. :D

:D that would be very amusing. And save me all this trouble. lol

I figured since I made this post I should comment on the scents I got :D.

Tzadikim Nistarim - I actually got this more for the story than the notes or strangeness. But I really enjoy it. It keeps me sniffing and trying to figure out -what- it is. Unique.

Gluttony - I was kind of sad. It was a -lot- like the drydown of Miskatonic on me :/

Shango - Beautiful. Fruity and tangy. As an extra perk, it smells like poo on my sister so she wont be stealing it from me.

Centzon Totochtin - Delicious. Nuff said.

Ogun - I surprised myself. I like this. It's a bit manly, but not too much. Very woodsy and now dubbed my new hiking scent. lol

The Robotic Scarab - Reminded me of Tempest, but the male version. I wasn't a huge fan, but it'd be yummy on a dorky guy :D

Jack - Huge throw, and definitely one of those scene-making scents. Autumn in a bottle.

Masabakes - Truly strange. I have a hard time even figuring out if I like it or not, and it's getting more wears than my favorite oils as I try to figure it out! lol

Hermia - I've learned I hate florals. But I still admit the pink pepper in this makes it unique and beautiful.

Thas all for now. I'm still using this thread for advice and to keep tracks of imps to swap/buy when I have chances. ^^

Haha. I got my little brother one of these last Christmas -- Brimstone, Mad Hatter, Bliss, Nosferatu, Grog, and a couple of others I can't remember. He liked Brimstone and Bliss best; the first made him smell like a campfire, and the second like a bar of milk chocolate.

I can tell I will have to revisit this topic before my next order...

One recommendation I would expect to see here is Intrigue. Did most of you find it too normal perhaps? I found it murky and heady, a very interesting scent that's not perfumey at all. It always gets interesting reactions from people.

I found it too strong as it came, so my Intrigue is diluted with two parts jojoba oil which allowed it to.. unfold, I would say. It's less smack-over-the-head now and works way better on me.

One recommendation I would expect to see here is Intrigue. Did most of you find it too normal perhaps? I found it murky and heady, a very interesting scent that's not perfumey at all. It always gets interesting reactions from people.

Intrigue is pretty much straight-up fig on me; it smells nice but is rather unremarkable. I'm so jealous of people who get a more nuanced effect, and very curious... I wish I could sniff you! :D

Actually, I feel that way about a lot of blends. There are many notes that my skin amps to the exclusion of all others (e.g., rose, vetiver, cinnamon, citrus, jasmine) resulting in so many scents becoming loud single notes on me. :D I would love to be able to smell them on others so that I could experience them the way they were meant to be experienced.

Some of the weirder BPALs I've sniffed:

Graveyard Dirt: dirt, mushrooms, and moss

Agnes Nutter: after the initial blast of vetiver settles down, that gunpowder note is phenomenal

Scarecrow: kerosene?

The Forbidding Foyer: an interesting basement-esque note - definitely dank

Roadhouse: beer + flowers

Penny Dreadful: imagine a gingerbread house covered in moss

Seance: smells exactly like my aunt's basement

Strangler Fig: fig leaf is such an odd scent

I imagine several of the new Halloweenie scents will get some love in this thread, too! :P

Edited by Apple

Here's another vote for Intrigue.

It is full of notes I wouldn't normally put together in my mind. It didn't smell BAD, just...odd. The cocoa didn't overpower though, like it usually does on my skin, so that's a plus!

Blockhead was also surprisingly lovely and I did not expect it to work AT ALL.

Edited by iiinterstate