Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
caffinatedangel

Quirkiest, most bizarre oils

I've been trying to fit together my next order of imps, and of course have a list of wants longer than what I can afford. But, as I was going through reviews I started to find a lot of similar scents, and threads. People seem to love vanilla's dusted with things, as an example. While that's awesome, lovely, and smells delicious... I'm new and want unique things to test and have fun with.

I just -know- BPAL has unique and bizarre scents. So, I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions that fit that. Unique, quirky, strange, bizarre. Something I most likely haven't smelled before, notes that are most likely new (or just paired together in a new way) for me. It doesn't necessarily have to be a beautiful every-day wear scent. I think I'd like to try out a few unique and bizarre scents in my next set. Just to see.

I know it's a slightly vague topic, as quirky is sort of in the eye of the beholder.

I'd also prefer the suggestions stick to the imp-able, buyable scents. That's all I'm going to be dealing with for a while. As much as I want to dive into the salon scents, the chakras, and LE oils I just can't afford that. :s (But if you know of something truly insane that's worth it, do mention it. One day maybe I can snatch some.)

I also personally prefer darker, deeper scents. Light florals or fruits aren't exactly my thing, and so far have been turning powdery and soapy on me. I prefer the patchouli darkness or the leathery musky side of things. Don't let that stop you, though. If you know of a truly crazy light scent, do tell XD

Thanks in advance. ^^

Definitely put Roadhouse on your list! On me it smelled like fresh dandelions then it dried down to beer.

Hmmm, maybe you should check out some of the things in the Steamworks category since you can get imps for them and they are GC.........and they are not your usual flowery and fruity scents. I, too, go for dark with smoke, incense, patchouli, wood and soil. :P Although the Carnival Diabolique is LE, you can probably find decants in the swaps/sales posts and there are some wonderful dark blends in there. One of my favorites is Parliament of Monsters.

Malediction is one of strangest scents I have ever tried. I just don't know how to describe it. Also, Kabuki, with red musk, cherry, and something else....dark starts out as cherry cough syrup on me and then dries down to the perfect red musk single note. Weird! :P

Anything with blood, wine, earth or musk are unusual. IMHO nothing beats a BPAL musk!

Jailbait is my first novelty type of scent. (Though for me, it's totally wearable.)

Smokestack immediately comes to mind, and that one certainly sounds darker.

Have you tried Death Cap? On me, it really does smell like mushrooms and dirt, with some sweetness in the drydown.

Penny Dreadful was pretty unique on me, but it's been a while since I tried it.

Scarecrow and Schrodinger's Cat both sound like scents that might fit your criteria. Djinn, too.

Hope that helps! I know I've forgotten a TON of such scents, but I'll be back to recommend more when I think of them.

Oh, the Blockhead and Shadwell, if you can find decants.

Al-Azif is the weirdest I've tried so far. Others marked as "weird" in my database: Undertow, Voodoo Lily, and Nyarlathotep. :P I hope that helps.

Fun question!

Let's see.... someone mentioned Death Cap, and I agree, it's fascinating and yet very wearable. You might also try Dragon's Milk, Absinthe, Black Opal, Lightning (to get the full-blast ozone effect), Velvet (and if you don't like it right away, let it age), Nosferatu, Eat Me and Drink Me, Hairy Toad Lily, Squirting Cucumber (LOVE this for summer), Strangler Fig -- in fact, really check out the whole Rappaccini's Garden section -- and finally, Gluttony (it's hilarious, an entire candy store in a vial).

And for your impossible dreams wish list, Graveyard Dirt and Lump of Coal. :P

I totally agree with Death Cap -- and Schrodinger's Cat! They are both very unique, as is Penny Dreadful (at least, I think so). Maybe also try Depraved or Debauchery? I too like the heavier & darker smells (I always run away from vanilla), and Depraved is a fabulous apricot slathered heavy patchouli. It's great!

One that people always talk about when I wear it is Blood layered with Black Ice. Black Ice is an LE, though... it's all vetiver. If you like vetiver I think you should try Saturnalia! It's violet and vetiver and I thought it was such an INTERESTING smell.

Definitely put Roadhouse on your list! On me it smelled like fresh dandelions then it dried down to beer.

=o I don't think I'd have found this one on my own. Looks truly unique! -adds to list-

Hmmm, maybe you should check out some of the things in the Steamworks category (...)

I ran across one Steamwork scent earlier, and vaguely remember thinking "Whoa". I'll revist them for sure, I had forgotten entirely o.o

Fun question!

Let's see.... someone mentioned Death Cap, and I agree, it's fascinating and yet very wearable. You might also try Dragon's Milk, Absinthe, Black Opal, Lightning (to get the full-blast ozone effect), Velvet (and if you don't like it right away, let it age), Nosferatu, Eat Me and Drink Me, Hairy Toad Lily, Squirting Cucumber (LOVE this for summer), Strangler Fig -- in fact, really check out the whole Rappaccini's Garden section -- and finally, Gluttony (it's hilarious, an entire candy store in a vial).

And for your impossible dreams wish list, Graveyard Dirt and Lump of Coal. B)

How amusing. I'm actually wearing Squirting Cucumber right now, and also own Nosferatu and found it unique. So your suggestions have just been validated ^^.

All the suggestions so far are rather spot on. My wishlist gets bigger and bigger in my mind. I'll be doing a lot of reading in my downtime this evening in the reviews section. yay

Blood Rose: A perfect rosy wine with dragon's blood. You smell it and you're like, "Hey, rose, nice" and then the other notes hits and you're just like, "What just happened?"

Satyr: An experience, if nothing else. No notes are listed, but most people agree on it being civet and patchouli. Some of us think it smells like poop, some of us think it's smells like the divine poop of a unicorn.

Black Anise: also goes down as "An experience." Dark and damp and very cave-y. It smells like evil rocks.

Azathoth: Evil grapefruits. Hopefully you like evil things :P

The Caterpillar: Mossy and earthy with a touch of florals and a divine incense. When hippies die and go to the Great Headshop in the Sky, this is what it smells like.

Tombstone: Yes, it has vanilla, but it's one of those scents that I wear and people are just like "Is that... perfume?"

The Obsidian Widow: Dark, winey, slightly woody and touched with floral. It smells like being in a damp haunted house and smelling the perfume of a ghost.

Faustus: The stately, regal older brother to patchouli. It smells kind of like patchouli but not as earthy, and just smells completely dark and sinister.

Hope that helps. Let us know what you wind up with and (more importantly!) what works.

Ayup - Troll, Stormhold, Djinn, Brimstone... all dirty, gritty, dark scents that would turn heads, for sure.

Hurricane, Oblivion, Titus Andronicus, Delphi & Devil's Claw all come to mind, too...

If you do decide to venture into LEs, Bonfire Night & Pumpkin Smash are must-trys.

Hey there :D Yes, you've come to the right place!! BPAL has all kinds of interesting scents for you to try out. I have dabbled in some and while the "strange" don't end up being my favorites, I did enjoy giving them a go! I second Roadhouse. It's not dark, but it is fun :D

A couple darker scents for you to try, off the top of my head are:

Saturnalia,

Black Annis,

Blood Kiss

Brimstone

then there's

Jailbait (cherry lollipops, think lolita)

Shub-Niggurath (evil gingerbread)

Miskatonic U (coffee in a library)

Golden Priapus (vanilla pine)

Drink Me

Penny Dreadful

It's kind of hard not to venture into the LE's but you can always buy off the forum swap boards to try new and fun blends out. Good luck and have fun! :P

Licwiglunga (sp?) is the weirdest scent ever.

It is like bottle confusion on me. I just don't get it. I think the description is also something like 'what graphemes are these?' And it's totally like that in my nose. How does she do it?

Also votes for:

Smokestack, Brimstone, Djinn.

Shadwell.

Ligur.

Mr. Nancy.

Black Annis.

Whoops! Impables, eh? Srry...

Edited by Lycanthrope

I have to second Shadwell. It might be unimpable but you can probably get a decant in the swaps/sales (I am selling mine for example). It is an undescribable scent really.. it wasn't for me but you might like it and very bizarre. Same with Mr Nancy :D

Other than that I don't have much of strangeness to chime in on but I am writing down some of the stuff here for myself :P

I love both Blood and Jazz Funeral. Blood is dark and sexy and just gets better with age. Jazz Funeral on me is lots of dirt, and unlike anything I've ever smelled.

and Schrodinger's Cat!

I was so going to mention Schrodinger's Cat!! The mix of ingredients is a neat and unexpected mix - but it totally works. (In fact, i'm wearing it as i type; on me, it is such a great summer scent).

And, i have to say, playing around with any and all scents is not only a blast, it can lead to some really surprising discoveries (like, who knew i would love and totally rock, resin-y scents?!) Have fun!

I feel some of the lab's most finely crafted and unusual scents come from the Salon category. It would be worth saving up for an imp set since they can't be ordered individually in imp form. The Death of Sardanapal is luscious and bizarre, so's the painting. :P

these fall in the not-your-average perfume range =)

Mr. Nancy was... unique just to sniff.

Antikythera was gorgeous but not typical at all - No. 93 engine as well.

White Rabbit isnt crazy, not its not like any perfume you've ever smelled either.

51, or Santa Muerte, or both smell very southwest to me

Hetairae - clovy sexy skin

Black Tower - truly wine and smoke and dark things, but still sweet

Miskatonic Univ - wood and coffee

Van Van - vanilla but also grassy

Tombstone - yum =) but not foody either exactly

What about some of the pharmacopoeia scents? I haven't tried them yet, but they're verrrry interesting what with the butter and the wasabi and sassafrass and what not. Yep. Go see Doc, I'm going to.

Dark and strange? Run, don't walk, and get some Centzon Totochtin! Bittersweet Mexican cocoa with rum, red wine, and a scent redolent of sacrificial blood.

Edited by Ahania

I might have a different view of unusual and strange, i guess i like scents that have interesting combinations, so i would say to try:

Tenochtitlan (i can never remember if it's that or Tezcatlipoca - try them both!!)

Envy (for an unexpected way to wear florals and mint - you'd be surprised!)

Sin (for the sheer deepness of it)

Mata Hari (well, it is a little too floral, but the mix with coffee is very interesting)

Marquise de Merteuil (not sure why except i find it to be so complex on many levels)

Manila (for a jungle like thang)

Tanin'iver and Ladon (cause they are interesting takes on dragons blood)

I third Black Annis. Quirky doesn't suit Black Annis' strangeness; "quirky" is the kind of adjective I'd apply to a bunny with patches of rainbow-coloured fur. Black Annis is akin to a night terror about a black figure writhing at the foot of your bed. (The strong anise topnote may negate the creepiness at first, but just you wait until it calms down. Eeesh.)

Others I'd recommend are Danse Macabre, Oblivion, Cthulhu (anything from the A Picnic In Arkham collection would fit the bill; I recommend The High Priest Not To Be Described for something leathery), Pain, Undertow, Cathode and Kuang Shi... though Kuang Shi can get rather fruity.

Edited by Beazlebabe

Jazz Funeral. I am not a floral guy but this is still my stand out favourite and so unlike anything I have tried so far. Just stunning and seems to be doing some intersting things with aging.

Namaste is kind of interesting as well for me. Starts off lemony incense and goes all lemon sherbert on me.

I also agree with someones else's vote for Black Annis. Vicious, violet and fantastic.