Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
tart

Lampades

... Their scent is the crisp, inviting bittersweet tang of cranberry with smoky dark lilies, heady, sensual musk, a tingle of ginger and a brush of Mediterranean spices.

in the imp lampades smells like cranberries, i do not get much of the other notes.
after application the cranberries takes on more musky/spicy qualities. it it yummy but at the same time the musky notes lends it a somewhat mysterious feeling.

I don't have much to say in depth about this one. Perhaps I'll have more to say after another try or two.

Mainly, it reminded me a great deal of Bewitched, only it lasted much longer. So, that is a good thing.

The main note is berries -- a bit tart, but also sweet -- with a rich but also somewhat dry and herbal backdrop, like sage. The spices here weren't spicy, on me. I can't recall noticing a lily note, so it seems that aspect blends with the other notes on my skin. Morphing on me is fairly minimal.

All in all, very nice. I loved Bewitched but was sad at how quickly it morphed and faded on me. I'm happy that this is so similar, because, as I said, it had much better staying power on my skin. So, give it a try if you liked Bewitched and want something similar, or if you also had a problem with it fading quickly.

Mostly cranberry which I love but...there's also a fairly strong backnote of incense/wood which I do not love. Alas, more to swap!

Edited by neuilly

I received a frimp of Lampades in a swap with another forum member, and I bless her heart every time I wear it.

In the imp: Heavy, sweet fruit with a bit of sharpness.

Wet: The fruit is there with a bit of a tang. I do not smell any spices or musk. It's a bit like tropical fruit bubblegum, perhaps the sugar-free kind.

Dry: The fruit becomes sweeter and heavier, but still no spices or musk. It's a bit reminiscent of a "Dragon's Blood" room scent I had once, but is still fruit punch and maybe bubblegum.

Throw: This maintains a decent throw on me for about four hours. After that, I have to lift my wrist to smell it.

The next morning: Now I'm finally smelling a bit of the spices, and the fruit has gone down quite a bit.

Verdict: I honestly cannot explain why, but I am absolutely head-over-heels in love with this scent. I have a huge pile of swapped imps waiting for me to try, and I haven't even looked at them because I adore Lampades so much. Tropical fruit bubblegum and red fruit punch is nice, and all, but I can't explain how amazingly fabulous this scent is. I want to eat it. I want to wrap myself in a blanket doused with it and go to sleep in the sun! I have to put a drop of it under my nose, because I can't be smelling my wrist all day and I am addicted to this.

The fruit doesn't say "cranberry" to me, but it does say "red." I just think of red fruit punch, like Hawaiian Punch. Bought a bottle of this, and may buy more.

Powdery, and sweet like Hollywood Babylon but I’m getting an odd dirt note. I think the odd dirt is the Mediterranean spices. I do like the lilies note but the fruity note is just a bit too fake for my nose, and a little headache-inducing.

in the imp: buzzah, strong! Strong cranberries with a hint of lilies and the sharpness of ginger… I'm pretty sure there's red musk in here, too. It smells like the love child of Lady Macbeth and Scherezade, with Ouija's strong woody incense note.

wet: Very musky, the ginger hits with a bang and then fades out to let the cranberry and spices play with the musk

dry: Ginger and a hint of cranberry, underlaid with musk. It's… different? Very citrusy. Definitely not a scent that loves me, nor I it. Off to swaps it goes.

I can’t decide how I feel about Lampades. On me, the cranberry is definitely in the forefront, tangy and sweet, but mostly tangy. It’s not a “foody” smell to me, though. It doesn’t make me hungry, and I don’t think I smell like a cocktail. There are other notes back behind the berry that make this more complex, but none of them stand out enough to me to be identified (likely the fault of my inexperienced nose). I can just tell there’s something nice back there.

And that’s just it- it’s nice but no more. A light, lasting, sweet-tart smell on my skin, but I don’t love it yet. And there are so many others I do love, so I’ll keep the imp and see what happens.

Wet: This is weird. I'm getting some kind of cranberry scent that smells like it's mixed with cherry, but there's no cherry in here. Strange. I'm also picking up menthol. Hrm.

Dry: Okay. Apparently, my skin doesn't like this blend very much. What could have had potential to turn into a nice cranberry scent with lily behind it wound up going somewhere else entirely. The menthol smell was still there, which I'm guessing is a result of the cranberry and ginger mixing together. Definitely not a keeper for me, as it's just too sharp and strong.

loads of cranberry with a shot of ginger. this is one of those scents that gets caught in your throat--you almost can't smell anything else. very very strong, and tart.

not something i'd want as a perfume, but i agree with people who may be using it as a room scent.

This is like a relative of Bordello on me...which makes my husband turn into Mr. Octopus arms, lol. Lampades evokes a similar reaction...

This is such a beautiful blend! And um YEAH, a big bottle of this is on my list!

Lampades is the second BPAL oil I've tried, ever, and my first reviewed. Other users have done a better job of describing the notes (which, at this stage, I can't even pick out), but here's my personal experience with it:

It smells lovely. It went on fruitier and got slowly more incensy (and if there's no incense, my nose is confused by the musk), but was a slow'n'steady performer. It kinda lolled about from one stage to the other and lasted quite long (put it on at 9AM and still caught the scent leaving work in the evening).

To me, it smells like an upmarket yuppie Earth store. A place with buckwheat pillows, expensive raffia, handcrafted glass, and an employee dressed in a long linen shift, with some sort of draped shell necklace. She's trying to sell me one of those rain sticks, and I am wanting to buy it, because this is the smell of that store in the holidays, when the upmarket shoppers are sick of Christmas cookies and want something a little warm and comforting, but still refined and tempered.

LOVE it; Lampades helps me pretend I'm as grown-up as my age suggests I ought to be.

At first, this is a thick cranberry cocktail. Later, it turns into cranberry-flavoured shower gel.

Damned lilies. And I was looking forward to this one so much...

That's cranberry frutiness all right! The cranberries fade to allow the rest to appear. Not bad!

In the imp: sweet, sweet. I want to bathe in this.

Wet: oh, sweet gardenia (actually I see that it is lily), incense.

Dry: the cranberries come to the fore, but the incense and lilies remain.

Outstanding scent, very well balanced.

In the bottle.. it is so faint, but so, so lovely.

On me, all I get is cherry. Which I'm fine with. I love cherries. Mmm. My coworker, says this smells like "old lady" on me. Pft. Whatever. She thinks "Snake Oil" smells like old lady on me. I like wearing this one a lot. It's such a light scent, too.. I figured I would fade away from my skin in no time. But it doesn't, it lingers. Just when I think it's gone and I need to reapply, I get a whiff of it.

In the imp, Lampades is very sharp, almost medicinal to me.

When I put it on, the cranberry comes out - it's wonderful. Some family friends owned a cranberry bog in western Washington, and we helped with harvest every year. Lampades on smells just like the fresh cranberries piled up in their totes in the warehouse - tart, but also clean. It's really great. There's also a smoky musk slinking around in the background that adds a nice warmth.

Once dry, I still only get that beautiful cranberry with the musk in the background - I don't get any of the other notes. But that's just fine; I really like it just the way it is!

Lampades was ALL cranberry bubblegum to me... with a hint of powdery herbiness on drydown. Not something for me, but if you are a cranberry fan, give it a shot! :P

This is the first scent I absolutely fell in love with. I sniffed it in the bottle and didn't think it was overly amazing; I put it on and didn't think it was overly amazing... then I spent the rest of the day sniffing my wrists. It's a full, round, warm scent---the cranberry isn't too fruity or acid, and the smoky lilies aren't too flowery. It's a perfect sexy fall perfume!

In the imp: My WORD, this is tangy. That's no perfume oil, that's a CRANBERRY STATION! It's also a lovely color.

Wet/dry on skin (Virtually no difference): This is such a heavy perfume on me and it makes me uncomfortable. Every time i shifted my weight, there was CRANBERRY. There was no escape...until I washed it off.

In the imp: Mainly cranberry, sweet and tart at the same time. There's also some lily. It's soft and very nice.

Wet: Oh yum! Cranberries and a little floral. This is delightful, I just hope the lillies don't end up smothering the fruit.

Drydown: Oh dear Lord, I've never worn cranberry before but no matter how this scent may morph it is definitely something I'm going to be seeking more of! This is wonderful! Soft warm cranberries with a touch of floral and musk, and a hint of spice way underneath. The best word I can think of to describe it is inviting. There's nothing bold about it, it's just, well, inviting! It's the sort of scent to draw people in with (well, me anyway lol).

Dry: The lillies are more apparent now, but they are far from taking over thankfully. The musk is blending with the cranberry beautifully and making this a tad darker and sexy, and that slight tartness is fading. Warm musky fruit with a touch of floral - beautiful and intoxicating. The cranberry is getting a touch stronger and a bit like red wine. I don't mind this in the least, as long as the musk sticks around too! There's some soft throw wafting around my nose yum.

Hmmm... it's getting stronger and more fruity the longer it's on! That's a bit weird. Normally I'd LOVE this, but I prefer Lampades when it's a bit softer and muskier. However the throw is still perfection and it's not too strong or sweet still.

Overall this is lovely indeed and is going onto the most probably a bottle list. It's different from my other fruit scents - not as strong or sweet as my beloved plum, nor as foody as Eat Me.

Now.. is there any other cranberry Bpal.....*goes off to look*

In bottle/imp: Dark, sweet, musky cranberries.

Immediately on skin: The cranberry is the strongest but there’s also something a little bit dusty. It’s a musky, sweet fruity scent but the ginger adds a little kick.

After a little while: The fresh berry quality of the cranberry has died down a little and it’s darkened… the dusty quality is still present and it’s gotten a little stronger. The ginger is what’s giving me the dusty feel, when it’s usually very nice and spicy to me in blends; maybe the blending here is giving it this darker feel, especially with the musk.

Overall Impressions: This is a sweet, berry scent corrupted by dark musk and dusty ginger and spices. It’s nice, but I’d imagine it’s a lot better on others. It has the same dustiness that I got from Crypt Queen; a tickling, dry dark note that bothers my nose. Nope, not for me.

In vial: juicy cranberries and ginger.

Wet on skin: lovely, lovely cranberries! But it's not thick and juicy - it's thin and sweet and smoky and evocative, with a tang of ginger and spices.

Dry on skin: next to the skin it's smoky and bitter, but the throw is fresh, sweet berries. I don't like the skin smell much, but the throw is gorgeous!

First review ever, and I'm also a total ignoramus about notes and perfume in general. I'm giving it my best shot :P

In the imp, this smells smoky and somewhat acrid. Applying this to my wrists, I can smell what seems to be incense, as well as a soft floral. In the crooks of my elbows, I can smell the cranberry, but not on my wrists. This is a soft and pretty scent, definitely with a hint of a spicy incense. These notes combine really well. On dry-down, I’m beginning to realize that this scent will be for my enjoyment alone, as it is not strong at all. But that’s okay :D. This perfume softens quickly to a sweet floral and berry smell with a spicy, smoky undertone. Wonderful scent, but for those wanting a strong perfume, this is not it. Luckily, my chemistry doesn’t scream “MUSK!” with this one.

I'm so surprised I didn't have this on my wishlist, because it totally sounds up my alley! A cranberry blend? WOOT. And this smells very good in the imp. Sweet and fruity, but with an underlying smokiness and musk that adds depth. The only thing I am worried about is that my skin may amp the smokiness too much *fingers crossed for cranberry yummy goodness*

Hm. This is like thisclose to being exactly how I want it. So darn close. It's just ok. Kind of meh. Dusty cranberry. Instead of crisp and inviting it feels very dull and forgettable and it seems to be fading superfast. Not bad, just definitely not bottle worthy for me.