Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
tart

Lampades

Lampades:

... Their scent is the crisp, inviting bittersweet tang of cranberry with smoky dark lilies, heady, sensual musk, a tingle of ginger and a brush of Mediterranean spices.

Wet: this is very fruity with a little tartness

Dry: Still very fruity. I don't get any of the musks or florals. After about 4 hours, it's completely gone

I will probably be using up my imp to scent my car. This would be a lovely room scent or car scent.

This one smells a lot like strawberries on me. Sweet, slightly musky ripe strawberries... in a good way! I didn't get a tart note at all... in the vial Lampades had a yummy sweet berry thing going on, and upon application it made up it's mind that it wanted to be strawberry. It stayed as a pure sugary strawberry for about an hour, and then the musk developed in the background. I had great results with the staying power - at least 8 hours on me, might have been more. It reminds me a bit of Molinard Fraise, except cheaper, easier to obtain, and longer lasting. I think it would make a great room fragrance too.

lampades

at first: very fruity. definitely cranberry,, but a bit sweeter.

on: fabulous. tart cranberry juice. i think i can almost smell something else, but i'm not sure what. i really like this.

1.5 hours later: a bit biting from a flower i can't place. the cranberry is a tiny bit sweeter, but still delicious. this is a really great scent.

6.5 hours later: fabulous. it's much lighter, but still mostly cranberry. i love this one.

overall: i may have to get a bottle of this eventually. it's just wonderful.

Lampades is one of those scents that I had to wear twice before I could decide what I thought of it. The first time, the cranberries were nicely balanced by the other notes, and I was thrilled to have found a fruity scent that worked for me. It was light without being especially sweet, and I felt quite...yummy, really. Theree is no other word.

Alas, my chemistry is fickle, and the second time I tried Lampades I only got the sweet, fruity note. The cranberries definitely rule this scent, and it will certainly be lovely on those who like warm, fruity scents. It was close enough to being right that I wished I was one of those people, but in the end this one landed in the swap pile.

Wow, this one did NOT work for me. It must have a note in common with Snake Oil, because it did the same disastrous "boiled potatoes" thing that Snake Oil did on my skin. Snake Oil was Indonesian spices and boiled potatoes; Lampades is cranberries and boiled potatoes. Feh.

Lampades is all fruit on me, as some others have said, none of the other elements really showed their faces through the duration.

I recieved this as a freebie from the lab. Thank you lab! I'll try mixing this with some of my other blends, see how they layer. I do like the scent, but it's nothing that I've fallen in love with right away.

First sniff: Ooh. Cranberries. Not cranberry sauce, not dried sweetened cranberries, but the real thing, crispy and white-inside and too tart to eat straight. The afterscent is oddly dusty. On second sniff I recognise the ginger… that’s what gives Lampades its sharpness, I bet, the tartness of cranberry and the ginger bite.

Wearing: Tart and fruity and still a bit sharp. I need to re-wear this one on a less busy day… I didn’t get to notice it much while I was at work. But it’s pretty.

First sniff

Cranberries, spice and a bit of some juicy berry I can't explain. It smells very red....like a lovely holiday scent.

When wet

My body chemistry almost always draws out anything berry no matter how small and Lampades is no exception. The cranberry bursts on the scene (hah pun!) with a fierceness and overrides anything else on me. It's not an obnoxious sort of cranberry but more a coaxing, gentle one.

Drydown

Still getting the cranberry but there's a darker undercurrent....I believe the musk is coming out now. It's a very warm scent, evoking images of crushed red berries, bright lips and cold hands.

Aftermath

I'm really digging Lampades....I was a bit afraid that the cranberry would smell more like Ocean Spray then *true* cranberries but I need to learn to stop doubting Beth. I can see a 5ml of this in my future.

Lampades

received as a freebie in my first order

in vial: sweet cranberries

wet: other notes start to come out and I can also detect lily and ginger. It's a wonderful combination

dry: the lily has come to the forefront (this is no surprise; it seems as though whenever a fragrance has lily it often becomes the most prominent note on me...good thing I like the smell of lilies!) I can still smell hints of cranberry, ginger, and musk.

2 hours later: gone...I wish this had more staying power

verdict: I love the scent and will use up the imp, but lack of staying power will most likely prevent me from buying a big bottle. I just did a search and found that there seem to be no other scents with cranberry! I think we need some!

Lampades

On first scent, all I could smell was fruity sweetness. I didn't have a lot of hope when I put it on that I'd get much more from it. Wrongo and I should learn to curb those doubts until I have proof. The cranberry emerged as a wonderful, tangy and playful. I haven't caught any ginger or spice as of yet, but this is so lovely that it's a keeper and one to get more of. Yum!

In the vial

Yummy cranberries bursting with juiciness! I swear, left to my own devices, I would have jammed my nose in there to get as much of the smell as I could. Just lovely. There is a tartness that I'm fairly sure belongs to the cranberries, but there's also an underlying tropical sweetness that falls more in line with passionfruit. I'm not certain though since the cranberries are drowning it out.

Wet

Given the notes in this blend, I expected this to be interesting. Once I put it on, the cranberries, lilies and musk came screaming out. All three at the time same time, with the same intensity. It was crazy, and I wasn't sure which was going to win. I could smell the ginger and spices lurking in the background, but compared to the shrieking of the other three, they'd be easy to miss. The cranberries got overtaken by the other two and eventually, the musk wins out as the dominant note with the lilies and cranberry adding a different flavor to it.

Drydown

Oh, but this is delicious. The musk had faded into the background, mingling with the faint whiffs of ginger and spicy cranberries seem to have moved to the forefront. Just wonderful. It's subtle and doesn't waft from me; it sticks pretty closely to my skin.

Final Thoughts

This is deep red autumn with the right amount of juiciness, not too dry at all. I loved how the spice and cranberries blend together and the musk grounds it. The spice has the right amount of sweetness to it, with a tiny bite that likely belongs to the ginger. This could be a contender for a bottle, but I'll have to try it out a few more times before I decide.

ETA (6 hours later): I can still smell this on my forearm! The spicy cranberries are still lingering, but now the lilies have come out to play. We're inching closer and closer to bottle status!

Edited by inkstone

Until I came here to review it, I had forgotten what the specific notes in Lampades were - not a lot that I was familiar with, I thought - as I could recognize nothing. All I could think when I smelled it was "wow". I loved this, though I knew not what she be.

I suppose ultimately that the dominant note is cranberry - but to me, it isn't fruity. The ginger and musk really come out on me after I apply it and it is absolutely spicy. It never becomes too sweet for me, though I believe that this is a very body-chemistry dependent blend, because on a friend it turns sickly sweet.

Anyway, as I said - I didn't know or care what was in this one at first, I simply knew that I loved it. One of my first big bottle purchases, and I'll wear it all the time. :P

Edited by Caitfish

When I first put this oil on, it was strong and smelled like a fruity, yet spicy floral. As time went on, it faded quickly to an almost grape candy smell. From there it faded a bit more to a Sweet Tart type scent. Smelled like powdered sugar candy, which is fine, but not a scent I would wear all the time and not long lasting enough for all day or even half day wear.

I would keep the imp I got, but I was expecting something more. I swear the first time I put it on, it was a lot stronger and smelled a lot better than the second time, but the kicker is I applied more the second time so I have no idea what is going on with my skin chemistry!

Update: Tried it a 3rd time and this time it is a lot more plumlike. I can really smell the cranberry. I am currently trading this one, but might mourn the lost of the imp since this one is really odd and different with each sampling.

I can't help thinking "sugarplum fairy" which this one but it may be the season. :P It is very rich right now, but I know it will fade quickly. I can also sense the ginger for the first time.

I think I would buy a bottle of this if I wanted something different from what I usually wear. If I wanted a fruit based oil, since most fruit scents seem to become very sweet on me and this one isn't.

Another update: 12 hours later, smells like a grape sucker on me. I really would like this one to work out because I would like a fruity oil for a change. But I don't think it is this one.

Edited by Madame Nyx

Lampades started off as a nice, sweet cranberry smell. It seemed as if it would be a wonderful scent. Shortly after applying a small dab to my wrist, I started getting hints of this metallic, stinging smell.....it smelled very familar. Suddenly, it hit me. This smells like sweat!! :P

After the drydown all I get is this sweet, sweaty cranberry smell. Too bad. I really had high hopes for this one.

Back in the swap pile it goes.

This was so beautiful at first sniff - tart cranberry with an earthy, almost wet undercurrent. I could pick out all the listed notes, but the lily was the most prominent after the berry.

Unfortunately my skin seemed to latch onto the cranberry, and it quickly got sweeter, and sweeter, and sweeter, leaving all the other delicious notes behind. It ended up very much like Carnivale, or even a fruity version of Bordello, and was just too sickly sweet and cloying.

It did last a LONG time, though!

Really wanted to love Lampades, but it didn't love me. Wet, it smelled divine - tart cranberries with a hint of spicy ginger. However, my skin decided to take the cranberry and warp it into the most fake smelling cranberry in the world, coupling it with a definite metallic tang (possibly the lilies). And then my skin sucked it up and it disappeared within an hour.

I'm so glad I gave this a second chance. When I first tried Lampades, all it did was scream CRANBERRY!!!! at me. It seemed so close to mulberry on my skin that I decided it needed to be a holiday room scent more than a perfume.

BUT, I woke up one night smelling cranberry (though there was nothing close in the house), and decided it was a sign that I needed to wear Lampades the next day. I rummaged around to see if I had an imp of it in the pile of imps I rarely wear, and sure enough, I found one. I fell in love. :P It starts out all tart and cranberry-ish, but after an hour or two the cranberry starts to fade into the background a bit, and this lovely creamy scent starts to emerge. I think it's the spices and lilies and musk. If my skin only did with musk what it does with this, I would wear nothing else. I get all kinds of compliments on it, from my grandmother to my boss to random men and women walking by.

This may end up being my signature scent. :D

I thought I might add that different sexes seem to detect different scents from Lampades, at least when I wear it. Women seem to be getting the berry scent, although most say it's a sweet tart cherry scent more than cranberry, and the guys smell something sweet and musky, but not berryish. Just FYI. :D

ETA: Though the cranberry scent does fade after a few hours, the creamy smell lasts all day long. It's more subtle than the berry, but it's definitely there. My nose wants to stay glued to my wrist.

Edited by Vicious Mistress

Add me to the list of those who got fruit without any spice or musk and on whom it mellowed into a muted lily scent.

This is a great fruity oil, with the added bonus of the unusual cranberry note. I enjoyed it a lot. But I already have lots of fruity scents and I am afraid Lampades might never make it to the high rotation list.

However, if you like fruity blends, do give it a try, you won't regret it :P

Yet another in the land of pure berry. There wasn't much spice or muskiness to my nose, but it was a rich, fruity, wet berry smell, like the one I think of as being very BPAL. If you want full bodied fruit, this is a good choice.

Oooh. This is lovely. It's an amazing, complex, smoky cranberry blend. Kind of like a nighttime Titania with cranberry instead of pear and grape, which is why they layer so well-- one blend enhances the other. It is very soft, hushed, intensely wearable. I would get closer to someone if they were wearing this scent. I will always want to keep some of this on hand.

In the vial: juicy cranberries. Very tart.

Wet, on my skin: Juicy, tart cranberries with some spices in the background. I'm not really getting any floral notes in this.

On drydown: The spices came out more on drydown and kinda made the cranberries smell like they were rotten. Crummy body chemistry!

In the bottle and wet on my skin this is a thick, sweet, and cloying cranberry scent. It's very, very sweet, in fact. I don't find that to be a bad thing, but it's definitely sweet. As the scent develops the sweetness fades and I'm getting whiffs of something that smells almost like orange coming through the cranberry. There are musky undertones as well that become more prominent the more the scent develops. It becomes a really fresh musky cranberry, and stays that way through the drydown.

This is a scent I like very much, I find the cranberry unusual, and it has a nice, autumnal feel. I'm certain that I'll be ordering a large bottle of this at some point in the future.

Lampades

When first applied I can smell cranberries, but sweeter than expected. After a few minutes I can smell the musk and just catch a floral, I assume the lilies, in the background.

Once dry this becomes more tart and closer to how I expected it to smell

Gorgeous

I am VERY much in love with Lampades.

It smells just like an oil by Aires which was discontinued. Dragon Cloud was my signature scent from 8th grade until about 10th when the bottle emptied.

My take:

Lampades is very sweet with lovely berries under the allmost candy exterior.

Wearing it brings out more of the undertone spice sweet on me, then turns more like cranberries!!!

:P

It's like the old Dragon Cloud but tuned up, tricked out, and far more gorgeous (plus without the slightmusk that the Aires brand had)

So yeah. Once my two imps run out I am certian I shall be investing in a bottle. (maybe even a 10ml!!!)

OH MY GOSH! Why didn't I try this sooner! Ginger, lilies, and a little spicieness, just gorgeous. It took me a little while to smell the tart of the cranberry, and it just adds to this beautiful scent. I'm amazed, and in love with this scent! Thank you Beth, I'll be ordering a big bottle of Lampades! :P