Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Delirium

Non compos mentis, indeed! A contrary, conflicted scent, bubbling with merry madness. Contains apple, rose, and lemon.

In the imp: Rose, rose, and rose. With a hint of lemon, not the actual scent of lemon, but a sourness that indicates lemon might be lurking about. No sign of the apples. I am on a quest to find apple scents, I don't think this one is going to be one of them.

On the wrist: Rose. No more lemon, just rose.

Dry: Rose scented talcum powder. This sometimes happens between rose and I. In a few minutes more my skin will have eaten the scent entirely and left me with the vague suggestion of a powdered wrist. Alas, this is not the apple scent I was hoping for. To the swaps.

ETA:Lab description. Edited by Shollin

The imp smells of powdery lemons.

Wet, it smells like very synthetic room-freshener lemons. Rose and lemon together doesn't sound like such a great idea now.

Dry, it's the same with added ickiness. Still in the search for a fresh BPAL that works on me.

In the imp: This is a combination of lemon and apple unlike any of other other apple and lemon BPALs I've tried. There's a real softness (to give it a tactile equivalent, it's like soft, gathered yarn) to the lemon, and the apple is very faint, as is the rose.

Wet: Same as in the imp. I'm pretty sure the rose is what is providing the interesting edge to this scent.

Drydown and wear: Damn the lemon note--it really starts to become the prominent note on drydown (my skin tends to amp lemon a lot). The rose has dried down almost completely and I still can barely get a hint of the apple. I love the way this starts out, but since it goes to all lemon on me, I'm going to have to swap the imp.

A freebie from the Lab!

In the vial - Sweet, fruity and happy. Rose only very rarely works for me, so I'm approaching this one with some caution but an open mind.

Wet on the skin - The rose is characteristically sharp on my skin, but the lemon tempers it a little. The apple note is the warm golden-red fruit of Ladon rather than a crunchy green tang.

Dry down - A friendly and youthful blend, and very summery, but not one for me. The rose note is just too strong. I'll probably keep the imp and use it as a room scent.

i smell sweet tart apple, soft rose, and a drop of lemon. conflicted perhaps, but these notes actually seem to mesh very well! a cheery, youthful scent. i’m not head over heels for it, but it’s a perfectly good, fun, everyday type of scent.

I got this as a freebie from the lab.

Wet: A pleasant, light, clean smell, but nothing special and it disappears very quickly on my skin. A few minutes later and all I can smell is the faint hint of lemon detergent. Why do so many lemon scents do this to me?!

Wet: Sweet roses. Definetly the rose with an underlying sweet scent. I'm not getting any apple or lemon.

1/2 hr. Dry Down: This kind of smells like Suave hairspray I used to use in the 90's. Not that this is a bad thing, it's very reminiscent to me. Remember big hair? This smells like big hair to me! I smell a little apple-ness right now under the rose, which is still very prevelant. This is really a nice combo of smells! I would probably not get this in a big bottle though, because it would be too overwhelming on any more than one appendage, which an imp works just fine for.

ADDED 1/25/09:

Apples, lemon and rose. A nice and sweet combination. Initially I get all rose rose rose. But after an hour, it settles and interestingly, I can smell each note in turn. I like this but not enough for a bottle. A good blend, though.

In the bottle: Fruity apple.

Wet: Fruit with a floral background.

Later: Where Aizen-Myoo was a wooden scented peach, this is a wooden scented apple; Perfectly passable, but more a room scent than a perfume, on me; 6/10.

Merry is a good word to describe this. It's very lemony in the bottle, and with the apple it has a very perfume-y edge. The rose is a bit soapy – probably the lemon – but quite fresh.

It goes on and the rose comes right out along with the apple, and a whiff of what almost smells like vanilla – this is a very creamy, smooth scent. It smells far less like lemon furniture polish than it did in the bottle. Here it smells like something edible, like little fancy cakes.

This is a very playful, light, clean scent that reminds me of having tea parties outside with all my stuffed animals. It's very girly, and just a little childish. It's also squeaky-clean. It smells soapy, but in a fresh and nice sort of way, not a yucky, cloying way.

It fades fast, there's no anchor here to give it any real "stick," and within an hour it's gone.

In the imp: Powdery rose and sexy apple (why does apple always smell like sex to me, eh?) A little bit of an unfortunate air-freshener vibe.

Wet on me: Ohh! The lemon is surprisingly creamy here and actually plays second fiddle to the rose and apple.

After five minutes: Err, nice enough, but still a bit air-freshener. Surprisingly soft and powdery -- I would have expected this to be quite tart.

Drydown: Soft lemony powder. Pretty strong throw, though.

This reminds me a little of the later drydown of Follow Me Boy... I am, indeed, rather conflicted about Delirium. It's a soft sweet scent but it's just so much like a (clean) baby's arse because of all the powder!

Delirium

Apple. Freshly cut apple, just plucked from the tree. This is brief, then it's lemon, with shy hints of rose in the background. The lemon is strong and reminds me a bit of cleaner. The rose now rises up and mingles with the two fruits. This is light and fresh. Shower fresh, I feel like I just stepped out. The rose gives the already tart fruits more of a bittersweet edge and keeps it from being foody. As it wears, I can't help feel when I smell my wrist that I'm smelling fresh old lady skin. I think this scent is too mature for me.

[1 - Hate] .. [2 - Dislike] .. [3 - Like] .. [4 - Really Like] .. [5 - Love]

3 : For some reason, my brain seems to associate rose with grandmothers. Despite that, I found it to be a refreshingly light scent.

in the imp i smelled delicious crisp apple, but on my skin it's ALLLLLLLL rose! then the lemon comes along and is unfortunately a very strong, bitter lemon- more like lemon peel or something. eep.

delirium

in the bottle this smells of orange and rose. it's very bright, but maybe a bit too rose-y. i'll have to try this one out.

wet on skin why, hello there, lemon!

dry on skin this smells a lot like the body shop's "lemon tea", only a bit sweeter for the rose, not so dry. i happen to really like "lemon tea" except that i find it too dry and husky, so this is nice.

two hours later gone, poof, no more smell. it did linger on my shirt sleeve, though, and it's gone to quite a tart, not-unpleasant rose smell.

Apple, rose and lemon, eh? Well, we'll see.

In the imp, it's mostly lemon, with a bit of apple.

On my skin, the nemesis lemon! emerges, smelling the way that lemon Pez taste. Brittle and sugary fake lemon. Urgh. Lemon always gives me a headache, but I thought maybe the rose and apple could save this. Unfortunately, they don't - it's all fakey sugary lemon on me. Which is too bad, it sounds like it could be quite pretty.

Rose and lemon! Wet, the lemon gives it a slightly chemical smell, but the rose and subtle apple save it from becoming floor cleaner and instead create a scent very reminiscent of old-fashioned, rose-shaped scented soap. As it dries, the lemon and apple (the latter of which was never very strong anyway) fade away completely and I'm left with an ordinary rosy wrist -- quite true to the smell of a pale pink rose blooming in early summer, but not at all exciting or delirious as the name would imply. A rather staid, traditional scent, in fact, with some throw to it.

This was a frimp from the lab and it could be interesting. I do like lemon but not rose, and although I like apple the few I've tried so far remind me of the fabric softener I use!

In the imp: Oh wow that's... unusual. The apple hits my nose first, then the rose and lastly the lemon.

Wet: Rose and apple.

Drydown: Rose and apple, with the lemon barely peeking through.

Dry: Rose potpourri with some apple.

And with time the rose takes over as normal. Pity, because this had some promise in the imp.

In the imp, Delirium is apple and rose. It smelled a lot like Eve, actually. On my skin, it's rose and lemon. It's light and pretty, perfect for summer. I'd say Delirium's a cousin of Eve and Persephone. It's appropriate for all ages.

Delirium (almost colorless yellow oil)

Pfrimp (thank you!): exactly as the description says.

Skin: Lemon! lemon lemon lemon...apple? Straight off I got lemon, with only some apple coming through now and then. I didn't get any roses until the drydown. Something in the lemon was really choking powdery on me all the way.

This turned out to be a bpal that didn't agree with me.

Heavy weight, room temperature, Summer scent

In the bottle: apple? Check. Rose? Check. Lemon? Check.

On me, wet: same three. It's like I just bit into a Granny Smith apple and I've still got it in my hand. A rose in full bloom is on the table below, as is a lemon that's been sliced in half.

As it dries down the apple fades and the rose strengthens.

Fully dry: as Gertrude Stein once wrote, rose is a rose is a rose is a rose. (No, I'm not really sure what it means, either.) In other words, rose is what I get from Delirium once dry. It's kind of a sharp rose, which might be the lemon hiding out in the back.

I'm not huge on rose-scented stuff, but obviously this is the closest to what a real rose smells like that I've ever encountered in a perfume, so I'll keep her around. (I have to confess that a big part of why I bought it in the first place is my affection for the Sandman comic character Delirium... :P ) I agree that this is primarily a summer scent. Good for those rose-y summer-y types. :D

DELERIUM

I get a strong synesthetic response from Delerium. While I can separate out the rose, apple, and lemon, what I really get is a wild medley of pink, orange, salmon, yellow, and red from this. They sort of swirl about for the duration of the scent and make feel a little, well... the name of the scent is so fitting! =)

Scent-wise, the rose and apple sit the strongest with the lemon as an almost candy-like top note. This is fun, loud, and bright!

Lovely apples and pears… at first, anyway. After that, it's pear and rose, and stays quite fresh on me all the was through--it's a rather refreshing scent, and it's bolstered my confidence in finding a rose that works… I used just a little, and it's got some staying power and pretty decent throw.

imp: ah, apple! my first love... ah, rose! my old nemesis... ah, lemon! to whom i am fairly indifferent...

wet: rosy apples with a hint of citrus. oops... well, the apple is fading fast only to go strait to... soapy rose. :P

dry: alas... soapy, soapy rose.

Upon first sniff, Delirium really smells like apples to me, which made me happy. Unfortunately, as soon as I put it on, I knew it would not work for me. It's all rose, and I am not a fan of rosey or flowery scents. On me, this ends up a drugstore perfume, and gives me a headache. To the swaps with you, Delirium! I so wanted you to work, but we can't always win, can we?

Oh, and I forgot to add this, so an edit: It is lasting fooooorever on me. Figures!

Another edit: I gave the imp to a friend of mine because she said she likes roses in her perfume. On her, this smells wonderful - a perfect blend of apple and rose.

Edited by ViolaVanWilde

Yeesh. My grandfather has passed on, but his Ben-Gay lives on in this fragrance. That's how it is straight out of the imp. As far as I know, rose and lemon don't do well together, and the best I'm getting out of this is some totally unappealing bargain-basement cheap rose soap scent. And all of a sudden, I'm delirious with powdery chemicals. Thanks anyway.

In the imp: Sweet fruity roses. But not roses plus fruit, roses with a fruity tone.

Wet: Well, roses and a hint of apple. Every now and then a lemon floats by, almost as an afterthought, but it's ghost lemon, and it peters out pretty quick.

Dry: Yup. Rose. With a little bit of apple.