Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Delirium

Non compos mentis, indeed! A contrary, conflicted scent, bubbling with merry madness. Contains apple, rose, and lemon.

In the imp: citrusy rose, with occasional wafts of a very crisp apple.

On me, wet: lots of lemony rose, weirdly soapy and sharp and powdery. Hmmf.

On me, dry: Urgh, powdery rose and the lemon being sharp and stinging over the top. Weirdly, the apple is not a problem - but rose and lemon are not merry together on my skin.

Verdict: This smells like a very weird soap. Not my taste at all.

Ugh, I really wanted this to work because I love apple and I like a lot of the lab's rose blends. But I was wary of the lemon. And as I was afraid of, on my skin it's just lemon, lemon, lemon. From a distance there's a hint of the rose, but it's a soapy perfume-like rose, not the lovely scent from Peacock Queen which is one of my favorites. Sadly no apple at all.

Lemony rose, woo! Smells like a fresh spring garden when it's wet. For some reason the combination actually reminds me more of the scent of a fresh tulip - that not-quite-a-perfume smell, fresh and green and bursting with life.

The more I sniff, the more I like it. I think this would be a really good room scent. But then I also don't mind smelling lemony fresh. :P

I got this as a frimp in my last order and didn't expect to like it. But it's my favorite out of all the ones I got! I love the opening notes of lemon and apple. It calms down rather quickly into a fresh rose scent that I'm really enjoying. When I don't want to smell like Zombi but still want roses I think I'll be reaching for Delerium :P

I got this frimp in my latest lab order and with the combination of notes, like lemon, rose and apple! I was sure to like it.

That is until the rose turned into soap and only soap. I wish I would of gotten more of the fruits with it. *sigh* Another to the swaps.

This was, unfortunately, the bottle that made me realize fruity blends and I are at odds.

In the bottle, it's absolutely lovely. It's crisp and bright. Definitely apples underscored with roses, just a dash of something even brighter to make them all stand out. It's a very happy, uplifting perfume.

...But then on my skin it turns into the exact scent of my grandfather's soap. I remember sneaking into his bathroom when he was down in the weight room, so I could play around with all the bottles and knicknacks my grandmother had put up, and I always loved his soap because it was white and green swirled together like a peppermint bar. Except it smelled like...soap.

*sighs* Well, it's a fond memory, but I don't really want to smell like this, so I'll give it to someone it'll co-operate with.

Delirium-

In Bottle: Rose and lemon, a nice sweet lemon.

Wet: Lemony rose.

Dry: One of those scents that stays true from bottle to dry-down, a lemony rose. Unfortunately it's nothing that appeals to me, as the rose sourness just doesn't send me. Oh, well!

Overall: Not for me.

This one was educational for me... I knew i tended not to like scents that are floral based, but thought i'd try this one, as I tend to like citrus scents.

Wet, this was lemony, and fresh. For about 5 minutes, it morphed into something very close to lemon Pledge, and then the rose raced to the front... A soft rose, with a hint of lemon in the backgroung; unfortunately, the rose just isn't me. The scent has pretty good staying power, so I'd definitely recommend this one for anyone who likes rose-based scents.

In the imp: Nasty powdery rose with a trickle of lemon

First on: The lemon is a little more forthcoming when on, now it reminds me of a freshly cleaned brothel bathroom

After a bit: The lemon is still the dominant, but up close, the rose is ruining it for me.

A bit more: It's become softer and delicate now, the apple lends a slight tang to the lemon, but the rose is still there (and I don't know which rose this is, but for some reason, this one hates my skin, it's powdery and heady, and Beth seems to use this one in most scents with rose).

I'll see if my SIL likes it, if not, off to the gallows.. er swap pile

I ordered it because I read that was similar to Amandopondo from Lush.

In vial: Lemon and rose.

On me: Lemon and rose, I can´t smell the apple.

It´s a fresh smell for the summer but I didn´t find what was looking for.

I keep trying the scent with rose in it, thinking the BPAL magic will change it.

Sometimes, it is ok. Not this time.

Opening the vial; VILE! Ewww, Rose room spray. I smell the tiniest bit of lemon.

Nope. It's putting my teeth on edge.

On skin; Holy bathroom, Batman! I got some on my nose! Get the rubbing alcohol! (takes the rose smell right away from me)

Off my skin and on to the sell pile for you, evil thing... :P

Edited by Shollin

Wet, it's all lemon, the other notes are very much in the background for me. Oddly, I normally don't like citrus but this was all right, very light and fresh. Still, it's more something I'd associate with scented soap than anything else.

Dry, all the notes blend together, nothing really dominating, which is nice, except that they've all gone very faint; unless I've got my wrist right up to my nose, I could easily forget I put anything on.

Ooookay. Now, I love rose and lemon together (Bess is one of my top five GCs), so I thought "PLUS APPLE? Wo0t indeed." And promptly obtained an imp. I saved this one for near the end of my testing, because I thought I would, without fail, love it.

Then I put it on my skin. Oh man. You know that really sharp, kind of powdery smell that you get when a floral hates your skin? That's what showed up. At first I thought the imp had been mislabeled, so I went to the imp for a sniff test. Nope, in the imp it's definitely got a lemon bite, and apple goodness, and not-horrible rose.

I guess the rose in this blend is just one of those Lab rose notes that doesn't work on me.

After it's dry, Delirium is actually okay, although all I can smell is that powdery rose and a tiny bit of lemon. It's no Bess, that's for sure.

My first imp of this ended up in a swap pile and went away. Just seemed too unnaturally fruity for me.

I got a second imp as a frimp from someone (Lab order, I think) and am giving it another shot.

First sniff: Rose, for sure, but there's something else over it - the apples. It's very much a springtime scent in the imp.

Wet: Hmm. Like apple-scented bubble bath. I'm not getting any lemon from this at all.

Drydown: Now the lemon's there, and it's not mixing well with the rose. It's turned sour. :P

Guess I had it right the first time.

Wet this is very sharp on my, almost minty. I don't like mint, but mint + rose + hint of fresh apple seem to be somehow funny and nice.

When dried there ist only rose and fresh apple left, the sharpness is replaced by something creamy and nice. Like the fresh apple is drowned by sweet cream and garnished with fresh roses.

It really is a weird scent and I like it very much. It's the first rose scent that is not pure rose on me (because my skin amps rose and pushes every other component out of its way). I think one day I will have to buy a big bottle of this :D

edit: After all I should say that this is a fresh scent, not a sweet one - even if there is cream :P

Edited by Antaria

I never would have guessed the notes in this. It sort of smelled like stale air to me. On my skin it went stale floral and didn't do very much otherwise. Not a winner for me. Oh well.

It actually got much worse on me as time passed. Roommate boy recoiled and then said that it smelled like "bad, cheap soap."

Edited by brownbear

deliriumSS.jpg

I got behind with my daily reviews while I worked on getting all my reviews into my Live Journal, so instead of trying to catch up and everything being behind, I figured I'd review the current day's oil, and if I have time, do a catch-up review after.

Today's oil is Delirium. Sometimes apple can be too sweet, and usually lemon isn't kind to me at all, but this imp holds a marvelous blend!

In the imp: Rose is the first thing I smell, but there is definitely an underlying citrus note peeking out, though not strongly.

Wet on skin: First application is true to the imp, rose with a hint of citrus -- nothing I can even definitively say is lemon (yay!).

Dry: As it matures on my skin, I can smell a bit of the apple (sweet apple, not tart), and the citrus note, but rose is the top note -- like that would bother me, LOL. I love the way the lemon is tempered by both the apple and the rose. I could swear I get a hint of rose hips in this blend as well.

Verdict: This made my Friday most enjoyable. I wore it in a scent locket as well as on my wrist pulsepoints, and caught whiffs of beauty all day. This goes on my Buy-a-Bottle list, definitely.

Edited by stellans

Delirium is mainly a rose scent on me. The apple is soft and a supporting note to the rose rounding it out and stopping it from going sour, nasty rose on me. The lemon adds a wonderful tartness and freshness to the rose but doesn’t step over into sour territory. As it wears the rose becomes stronger and the other components recede. But it’s still being tempered by them so it doesn’t go to the rose that hates me and my skin. Overall, this is an ok blend. Not one that I would seek out but one that I’ve enjoyed trying.

*sigh* I don't know why I even bother with rose scents anymore, they all end up smelling the same on me...

Bottle: The smell was very familiar, and I couldn't put my finger on it until I read some of the reviews in this thread. Turkish Delight! Which makes a lot of sense, since it's usually made with rosewater and orange or lemon. I don't really get the apple at all, though.

Wet: About the same for a second, but as soon as it starts to sink into my skin the lemon disappears and all I get is rose. Sort of a sharp, tangy rose rather than something dustier like in Ouija or Mata Hari though. Smells a lot like Catherine to me.

Dry: Yup, just rose. It's really perfumey after a while, in a way that it reminds me actually of those little flower dolls I had when I was a kid - I had one that smelled like rose.

Still, I do like the initial smell a lot, before it hits my skin and the rose amps. I might keep the imp around for a scent locket.

Delirium starts out a very bright lemon. Its sweet, almost like lemonade, but no sugar. Rose comes up next and blends with the lemon. Those are two notes I never thought would smell nice together, but they do! Once its dry, I get the faintest whiff of apple underneath the lemon and rose. I like Delirium, its a bright, cheerful scent that reminds me of summertime. :P

After reading the notes in Delirium again, I'm really hoping the rose doesn't go powdery on me in this one. I'm really hoping for apples and a bit of lemon.

In the imp: LEMON. A tiny bit of rose and something that could be apples.

Wet: Lemony and fresh - there's a juicyness to it that obviously from the apples, but I can't really smell the apples themselves. It smells a bit like a cleaning product.

Drying: It actually smells like lemony roses! This is suprising to me because normally I can't actually smell rose in any of the oils I've tried - I just get baby powder. Lemony roses aren't necessarily a good thing, though - and it definitely smells weird on me.

Final Verdict: So not what I was looking for. Swaps pile it is.

Mmm, this is nice! In the imp and when first applied, Delirium smelled like a fruity rose, a mostly lemony rose. The lemon wears off pretty quickly though, and then it's a nice mild rose. Rose with an edge of fruity sweetness.