Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Delirium

Non compos mentis, indeed! A contrary, conflicted scent, bubbling with merry madness. Contains apple, rose, and lemon.

Wet on me, this was full blown roses. Lush, heady roses, like walking through an English rose garden in the rain. As it dried the roses stayed predominant, there was powdery apple and sharp lemon in the background, but they only appear sporadically. Much later on the rose fades and begins to smell somewhat crystalised, as if the petals of the roses have been coated in sugar and the apple becomes more prominant. I like this second stage and I can understand how this could be a wonderful, sexy scent, but during the earlier part the roses are just to heady for me.

Wet: Gorgeous! Quite sharp and sour at first, then the apple (blossom??) comes through while the lemon and rose fade into the background.

Drydown: Apples apples apples! :P Gorgeous! Like Eve's simpler, even more innocent cousin...hours later the sweetness seems to go away, and a nuttiness comes through...can't identify what it is, but I like it.

Overall: Do you think 3 10ml bottles would be too much? Hmm...what can I say, I :D this!! :D

Oro

Bottle (Imp): This smells rather happy and bubbly. Perhaps some fruit?

Just On: Hmmm, there seems to be a bit of a sour note in there, that my skin doesn't like. I'll have to see how this dries down.

An hour or two later: Okay, it's not sour now, just kind of smooth and a little effervescent.

Around 6 hours: I can't figure out anything in this, but it's not too bed.

12 hours: It's pretty well faded now, and I never did figure out what's in it. Very well blended.

Overall: It's okay, but not one I'd reach for often.

After reading other reviews: Gosh, I never got apple, rose, or lemon... They are either so well blended I can't pick them out, or they morphed too much for my poor little nose to figure out. Either way, I'm pretty neutral about this one.

In the bottle: Lemony rosy, with a hint of sweetness. It smells bright and cheery.

On Skin: Lemony sharpness, there is the heavy rose floralness. There is also a powdery note to it. :P

On Drydown: Very rose. Too much rose.

Verdict: Too rosey for me. Off to swap.

perfection in a bottle :D (or imp..hehe) .... :P

rose, apples and lemon.....nuff said.....stays true to that scent even after i have been wearing it 1/2 hour or more....not sure about the lasting power but it is quite lovely...esp, for warm summer months..... :D

I wanted to try this one out, not really thinking about the note similarity to another company’s product I’m not fond of. Oh well. Here goes…

Instantly turns into Lush’s Amandopono, which I detest. Lemon and rose together just do no smell good on me; my chemistry turns it into bathroom cleaner. The apple note goes completely rotten, making my stomach turn. Eek! I am forced to wash this one off. Off to the swap pile you go!

I'm not a rose fan. But then, BPAL is magic and has redeemed some other things that I wouldn't have thought I'd like, so I put a few rose scents on my short list hoping to see if they could convince me otherwise.

Delirium is a light, sweet, lemony rose. Delicate and crisp. Enticing.

I think if I were going to wear a rose perfume, it would be this one. The rose isn't overpowering the way it was for me with Eve - it's playful and exquisite.

But. I'm still not liking rose.

IF you're a rose fan at all, I highly recommend this. It's an awesome blend, balanced and delicate and subtle.

But ultimately - not for me. And off to the swap pile it goes.

Sadly, I did not like Delirium as much as I thought that I would. I hoped that it would smell like Lush's rose and lemon bubblebar.

On me, this is all lemon. And it's not even a good sort of lemon, it smells very harsh. This is a chemical lemon, reminding me of kitchen cleansers. I get hints of sharp/bitter rose at times but never any apple. It's shocking how harsh it smells.

I'm glad to have finally tried this one... it just doesn't work on my skin :P

in the bottle: lemony rose, but not sweet. Very tart.

wet on skin: The rose mingles very nicely with lemon, something which I could never have predicted.

dry: Apple peeks its head in, towards the end, but it's very faint. Something I expected since apple is such a light note. This is a very crisp scent, very playful and full of mad turns.

I do agree that this certainly smells like a long lost relative of Eve's. Very similar.

Delirium is softer, but the rose is still slightly too obnoxious for my nose. I do smell the apple and lemon notes, and they're pleasant, but the rose edges them out in the end, as it always does on my skin.

I didn't hate this scent overall, but it was slightly "meh" for me. I'm just not a fan of roses because they bully the other kids when they should be playing nice.

Delirium

In the bottle: lemony something?

Wet: sweet lemon, a bit lemon Pledge like though. Giving it time...

Drying/5 mins: still strong lemon, might be able to talk my nose into smelling apple in there, but it’s not the sort of apples I eat. Definitely rose, which is getting stronger.

Dry/18 mins: icky lemon. So sad.

In the bottle:

Crisp, light, sharp, and somewhat confusing. Can definitely smell the tartness of apple and lemon in there, but neither note stands out distinctly.

On me:

Like some others, once this goes on my skin, it almost immediately becomes soapy floral. Just like lily does to me. I'm guessing this is the rose, which most of the time comes out rose the way it's supposed to, but sometimes comes out soapy like this. Unfortunately, this is soapy all the way through on me.

Final notes:

I wish it didn't turn soapy on me, so I could say more. In the vial though, I'm intrigued by the tartness, I'm sure on someone else it smells really interesting.

In the imp, the lemon was the note that stood out for me. It was pretty strong, and I wasn't sure if I would like it; but I plan to give every oil that passes through my hands a fair chance, so...

Wet, the lemon was strong, sweet, and just slightly 'lemon pledgey' on me. I'm a BPAL newbie, and this type of citrus scent was very unfamiliar to me. I was fascinated by the morphing of the scent (as I have been with all the lab oils I've tried so far, so complex!). Delirium began to smell really good to me as it dried, and I couldn't help sniffing my wrist the entire time I wore it. It evoked feelings of strength and confidence. Kinda sexy, in an unconventional way. Very heady and almost intoxicating. I bet those who wear this well get plenty of attention!

I really enjoyed the drydown of Delirium, it was my favorite phase. The lemon became lighter and lost the brief 'furniture polish' note, and I could just barely catch a waft of rose behind it. I liked it very much, but I didn't enjoy the wet phase nearly as much as I enjoyed the drydown. I would probably apply this well before I had to leave the house to give it time to mellow on my skin.

I usually don't do very well with citrus, dry Delerium is an exception to this. The throw and lasting power was amazing; I woke up this morning still smelling of it after 9 hours. It's a powerful and lovely perfume, and so unlike anything I had ever tried before; I'm glad I gave it a chance. My love did not like it at all, but his taste runs to light florals and foody scents, on me. I'll keep an imp on hand for days that I need to feel alert and in control, but I don't think I will order a big bottle.

I really really really wanted to like this one - I'm not sure what disagreed with me - perhaps it is the apple or rose. It was quite overpowering all day and when it mellowed out (took a good 5-6 hours!) it smelled quite nice but I wouldn't wear it again because it smells wrong on me for so long!

Sniffing the imp: Whoa…first thing to jump out is the lemon! Very sharp!! But I can smell florals coming up strong, behind.

Wet on wrist: The rose starts coming through right away. It is nice, but strong! I really like rose, but this is a bit overpowering.

Drier: The rose has lightened up a bit and the lemon has gone totally away, and no trace of apple yet. This just smells like Yardley rose spray perfume at this stage. Oh wait…now, there seems to be apple blossom floating about, not apple, along with the rose. It is still a strong smelling scent and now, quite sweet. Sniffing continuously is giving me a headache. This may go to the swap pile.

Dry: Well, finally it has faded into a nice apple blossom smell. While this is more “me”, I already have a bottle of apple blossom, so I think I will swap this, as I don’t really like the stages it takes to get here.

Sweet (from the apple I assume) and rose. I learned too late that I cannot wear rose. For someone who likes this smell it is a terrific blend but just not me. Ack!

Scent association: virgin, first word to come to mind. Don't ask me why... maybe because its so sweet and floral? A simple blend, pleasant and girly.

I really wanted to like this. It started out wonderfully, with not too much rose, but the lemon became waaaay too strong and it started smelling like cleaning products. No thanks!

In the vial: The rose and the lemon are battling to the death for the spotlight. One second it'll be all lemon, but then I'll realize how extremely rose this is, but another second and I'll remember the lemon, and then... it's a vicious cycle. Meanwhile, the apple seems to have run away in fear, leaving behind the tiniest bit of sweetness to give the whole blend a bit of a candy feel.

Wet: The lemon gives the rose a right hook, but the rose refuses to go down, and retaliates with a crushing suckerpunch! And the rose wins! I was hoping and praying that the lemon and apple, two of my favorite notes, would prevail over the rose, which always turns soapy on me, but alas, the rose has conquered everything else in this blend.

Dry: Maybe not completely conquered, as there is still the softest hint of lemon keeping the rose tart and bright. Otherwise? Total rose.

An hour later: Rose. Period.

Overall: God dammit.

Hmm... upon first application, Delerium smelled like a cacophany of apple, rose and lemon. Then, the apple kind of went a little subdued, smelling more like a rose soaked in lemon juice. Then... the inevitable: the rose takes over. But wait, it's struggling against the apple and the lemon. The apple and lemon have combined forces to prevent the rose from lording over the scent! Who will win this battle of wills?!

Hmm... who knows? Five minutes after application, the fragrance oscellates between a sweet, lightly candied rose and lemon soap. I don't know if this is something that I would like, although I like lemon citrus fragrances and crisp apple scents. This... I'm just dizzy with trying to figure out whether I could get down with this or not. It's as if the rose, lemon and apple have joined hands and are swirling around me in a mocking way. Somehow, Delerium manages to smell sweetly soapy, and I'm really not sure if this will work out well with me.

I'll have to scratch my chin a bit and ponder some more. Right now, though, the fragrance is way too soapy/powdery for me to consider as a fragrance I'd wear.

-doreen

Wet - primarily rose, with a bit of apple.

Dry - as it dries I am struck by the similarity to Libra. Libra is a more complex blend; this is somewhat like Libra lite. Unfortunately, just like Libra, the rose has turned horribly powdery on me. I do get a slight trace of lemon too. I love the idea of apple and rose, but so far I haven't found one I can wear.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 1.

Oh dear, stupid chemistry. The first thing I smell is plastic baby doll. That recedes a little and the apple comes out. Rose is deep in the background and lemon is on the surface. These three notes just do not seem to want to meld on me and together they make for a somewhat disjointed scent.

With Delirium, I get the rose, apple, and lemon but somewhere in the intersection of those notes I also get a very creamy note, almost milk-like. In the air around me it smells like cut apples and roses in a dairy. It sounds weird but it smells really nice!

The lemon makes me feel very alert and I will keep this imp computer-side, for when I want to wear something that is smooth but will also improve my concentration.

In the bottle: Roses and lemons. No apple anywhere.

Wet: Lemons, mostly. Roses here and there, but still no apple.

Dry: It's mellowed out a bit, now. I think I can smell the apple, but it's mostly rose. The lemon's died down a bit, thankfully. For a while there, I smelled like a fruit stand.

Overall, a good scent. I think I'll keep it for times when I need something to clear the thoughts.

In the bottle: Lemony, nice.

Applied: Fresh smell—gardenia and orange over roses is the first impression but then I can tell it is lemon. Don’t know where the gardenia is coming from, but it fades away quickly—must be my skin chemistry. Gives a feeling of lightness and happiness.I would say the throw is medium at first with an average amount applied (a few drops total, on wrists, neck and cleavage.)

The rose develops a lot more as the minutes elapse—along with a watery smell. Smells like white rose petals floating in a pond—very impressionistic. The rose gets darker as more time goes by. The citrus notes have gone away for the most part and it smells like a quality, dewy rose.

As half hour and then hours go by: cloying, as all roses seem to do on me so far. The dewiness is going away and it is smelling more hard, like perfume-y, which is too bad because I really liked it a lot at first.

If you are fortunate enough to be able to wear rose, you will want to try this.

On a scale of 1 to 5: 3.