Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Delirium

Non compos mentis, indeed! A contrary, conflicted scent, bubbling with merry madness. Contains apple, rose, and lemon.

Delirium is an effervescent remedy for being sticky-hot.

I'm cautious with roses, since some versions will turn into a thick fog after warming up on my skin.

The lemon and apple notes make this a very clean "wet" rose, sort of like rain over a rose garden.

In the bottle - I can definitely smell the lemon, and it smells like it also has wood smells in there.

On me - The rose really comes out on me, and it kind of blends in with the lemon to make one awesome scent. The apple is very faint if there at all.

I love Delirium! Was alot darker than I thought it would be, but in a good way :P

Delirium

In the Bottle: Sharp -- this is the thorns of the beautiful rose. Touch of lavender? Makes my head spin and ache a bit. The rose has something dirty on the undersides of its petals. A touch of sunscreen scent.

Wet, on skin: Hand-soapy, spiked lemonade in some whiffs, seems to fade quickly. Smells very clean -- I think that's the lemon coming out. I can taste something bitter on the back of my tongue. There's a powdery undertone, too.

1.5 Hours on Skin: I'm being followed around by a giant soap dispenser! No, it's not that bad, but I do smell very, very clean. The scent has softened dramatically. There's a strong baby powder hue. The lemon is prominent on my skin. It seems that this happens with many lemon scents -- my skin just pumps the volume up to the max.

Drydown Smells like a woman's petticoat, or a grandmother's slip under her Sunday finest. Very soft and secret. Light and powdery. There is no rose left in here. It's mostly the remainder of lemon. Soap, soap, soap.

Conclusion: I'm starting to realize that when there's lemon in a fragrance, my skin will make it the star of the show, but in a very industrial-cleaner kind of way . This scent dries nicely, but very light. The scent is subtle on me in a way that isn't baby-powdery, which is nice.

Edited by sun_set_bravely

Delirium:

Oh, this smells exactly like I suspect Delirium would. :P Rose, lemon and apple.. I get something different *every* time I sniff my wrist. :D It's a beautiful mish-mash of delirious delight!

In the vial, Delirium is all lemon and floral. Once on my skin, it stays lemon for quite a while, then floral comes up behind it and it all starts smelling very traditional-perfumey. In fact, my mother swears up and down that Avon had a scent similar to this when she was younger. It's nice enough, kind of fruity and rosy and smoky all at once. But it's not something I'll keep because rose is just too chancy on my skin.

i liked delirium in the imp, and at first on my skin (sweet and floral, but very bright, too), but not only did it quickly fade, it also turned into a higher class of cleaning fluid before it did so! (evil lemons!)

so i reapplied it.

and this time, there were no pretty roses involved, just lemon.

Yuck. This was positively foul. I don't know whether it was the overpowering rose or the lemon mingling with the overpowering rose, but it just didn't work on me. It was mostly rose, with a touch of lemon, then it smelled like cleaning product with tons of throw. No apple. Swapped away.

A gift imp from the lab. I wasn't expecting to like Delirium because of the lemon and apple, but I do! It's like a really fresh, tart rose, or a sliced apple with lemon juice on it and roses nearby.

I think this would be an excellent spring/summer scent, it's so refreshing and the lemon isn't cleaner-y on me at all. A surprise hit! I may want more of it.

This was a freebie from the lab, as a rule I can't stand perfumes with rose or lemon as the main note. Much to my surprise, I'll actually wear this! I still have to be in the mood for rose perfume but this is the only one of the BPAL roses I've tried (Persephone, Pride, Spellbound...) that really works with my chemistry.

In the imp it's lemon oil, a bit astringent, with rose in the background.

On the skin, lemon juice and just-bitten-into green apple blend to a high fresh crisp slightly tart note and the rose develops to just a step or two ahead as the main note.

But unlike the potpourri, old lady, powdery, or cloying tones that rose usually turns to on my skin, this is a fresh cut delicate pink rose from the garden after a cool Spring rain. The sharper note of the lemon/apple really balances it out. No Lemon Pledge smell either!

A feminine, pretty, Springtime floral with a breath of fresh air.

Pretty. At first, light florals with a hint of sharp (I assume that's the lemon.) Then the floral becomes more distinctly light rose. I don't smell the apple in this, but maybe that's what my nose has decided is light rose.

Nice.

beautiful rose, i am not a fan of lemon, but it remains a supporting actor enough that i can tolerate it in this blend. did i bring up the rose is gorgeous?

This is absolutely lovely when wet ... a sweet spring evening. Sadly, though it went soapy on me on drydown ... I think people who like Hymn would like this as well. The two remind me a LOT of each other ... definitely a must-try for floral fans.

This blend smells crazily familiar in the imp, but I can’t quite place it. I can smell the lemon for certain but it has a kind of creamy crispness (now there’s a juxtaposition that probably doesn’t occur too often!) to it that reminds me of black tea mixed with honey. More than likely, this is reminding me of an actual tea blend that I can’t place. It has me curious, though.

On my wrist, the lemon really stands out. Something about BPAL’s citrus blends always seem to take on a dusty kind of undertone for me. This one is no exception. Only with the rose element, it takes on a powdery texture as well.

I’m not picking up on any apple so far as I can tell. :P

Overall, the fragrance is very vibrant and refreshing. It’s not something I would personally choose to wear. The lemon is just too cleanser-esque on me (it absolutely MUST be a chemistry thing, as this is another drawback I’ve often experienced with the citrus blends). Someone who enjoys bright, light scents would probably love this to bits, though. Hopefully my two imps will find good homes.

Unfortunately, the rose in Delerium seems to be the "dryer-sheet rose" that ruins blends like Moon Rose for me :P (very sharp and perfumy). I do like the lemon in this blend--tart without smelling like cleaner--but the rose just makes the blend hate me =/

What a fabulous surprise! I applied this without looking up the description and got lovely lemon-rose! This is like a less-subtle version of Lush’s Amandopondo scent. Gorgeous and perfect for spring!

Initial Sniff: Interesting. Fruity rose.

Wearing: ROSE!

Final Impressions: One of these days I'll stop reviewing rose scents, but not today!

The rose in this was a dry tea rose on me, powdery and soft. Strangely lemon didn't overpower this for me (which is rare) but I found the interplay between the tartness of the lemon and apple and the rose a little unsettling and a little too sharp on my skin.

At first I was worried because it immediately went bug-spray on me, with a powerful splash of lemon, but then a soft, fresh-cut slightly crisp applishness arrived, bringing with it the soft, delirium-inducing heavy-scented deep pink rose. This scent went all fizzy in my nostrils, and now smells of summertime and of sparkling tonic water with a scoop of sorbet. Quite intoxicating.

In the imp, this was all rose to me.

Once I'd put it on my skin, however, the lemon and the apple started coming out and mingling with the rose, making a really wonderful combination. I smelled like Turkish Delight!

This would be a good 'pick-me-up' scent for me, as I when I wore it yesterday I practically bounced through the morning without even noticing (and this was a very hot and sticky day too, which I barely noticed while I was out.). It's only fault on me seems to be that it faded from my skin really quickly, so unlike the others I'd tried. If I wanted to wear this all day, I think it would require several re-applyings...

I love this one. Every time I wear it the term "bubbling with merry madness" comes to mind, it's so accurate! When I first apply, all three of the ingredients show themselves, but the apple soon fades away and leaves a strong, sharp rose softly undermined by lemon. It is indeed a contradictory scent, which it what makes it so original and enticing. I already bought a 5 ml, I'm hopelessly addicted to this one!! :P

Delirium

Preconceived notions: none. Apparently, this one didn’t strike me. I don’t have anything written down about it.

In the vial: Fruit and very sharp flowers. I don’t really like it.

On me: Fruity, smoky, citrus - very sharp - the pith.

Within 5 minutes this goes to that terrible rose I got in Black Widow, Wolf’s Bane, and Marie. Very strong, very sharp, very painful. It lasts the entire time it’s on my skin, until I washed it off after the first hour to try something new. If it changes into something better, great, but I’m not going to deal with the opening sharp fruit/flowers, nor the evil rose dry down.

Delirium reminded me a lot of Eve, especially with the apple-rose combination. I liked the addition of lemon in Delirium. This smelled clean, crisp, warm and fresh all day on me, fading but never really changing as I wore it. One thing I like about it is that apple, to me, is like a combination of lemon and rose -- apples and roses are genetically related, and apples have that lemony tartness to them.

I don't love it as much as others, though, and it's not a scent I want to smell like much of the time. I do like it though, so I might keep it to use in soaps or other bath products. This is a great bath-time scent, I think.

delirium.gif

Very floral and beautiful in the extreme, Delirium is one of the most strangely named perfumes! It is a very obvious flower mix that could, I suppose, induce some reaction unexpected. Though florals are not me, I would recommend Delirium to anyone who like them. I think it feels like an out-of-control orgasm.

The lemon note stood out to me more so than apple or anything else, making it a crisp clean soft scent.

Lovely for sure but not for me :P

Um, apple? Hello?

I got lemon. And rose. ROSE. At first, I thought the lemon would overpower the rose, but no, it almost disappeared after 20 min or so, leaving me with the darn rose.

Now I smell like Maiden, which didn´t work for me at all. Luckily Delirium is a milder version on me, but no, I´m gonna have to find a new home for this one. And yeah, thanks to me being so senile, I´ve got a second imp coming in the mail in a couple of days. :P I hope someone else will want them both.

But goddamnit! I wanted Delirium, if only for the name!!!!