Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Delirium

Non compos mentis, indeed! A contrary, conflicted scent, bubbling with merry madness. Contains apple, rose, and lemon.

I do believe I'm insane for testing this, as I have issues with both rose and lemon notes, but I am determined to test every oil that comes my way and I live in the eternal hope that one day these notes will not cause HORRIBLE THINGS TO HAPPEN. In the imp, it smells slightly effervescent and mostly of apples with a slight wisp of lemon and rose. Once on me, it's all ROSE ROSE ROSE ROSE. Godzilla rose. I expected that but I had to try. I will say it's much lighter than I expected and if you're a fan of rose scents, this one is quite light and pretty.

It smelled good enough in the imp, roses and lemon and apple. But once I had it on my skin it whacked me in the face: sharp lemon and rose. So sharp that for the first time I thought a scent might give me a headache. I didn't wait for that to really happen and washed it off thoroughly.

I probably reviewed a looong time ago, but I haven't worn it in at least a year, and I found my probably at least 2-year-old imp today. Strangely, Delirium has good throw and crazy lasting power on me (I just swiped the imp wand once over the crook of each arm, and 9 hours later I can still smell plenty). I don't wear rose well at all, but this doesn't amp, and instead I get mostly sweet apple blossom with occasional fruity rose wafts, more like a fresh rose in my garden than a standard rose perfume smell. Very sweet, and the apple blossom gives it a little bit of a vintage shampoo vibe, but overall this is a lovely uplifting spring/summer scent.

eta: I know the notes say apple, but this has always been more of an apple blossom sort of scent to me, probably because of the rose note mingling with it.

Edited by skyelyric

Delirium appealed to me because it offered what I hoped was a more toned-down form of rose. I had tried Two, Five and Seven and found it overpoweringly sweet with not enough grass to mitigate all those petals. I’m always looking for lemony scents and I like apple. The simplicity of it all promised good results.

In the bottle, this smells like lemony-rose to me.

Worn, this just smells like subdued rose. I can’t pick out the apple at all, and the lemon doesn’t stand out, either, but I like the fact that I can smell the rose without drowning in sweetness. It's long-lasting, and doesn't transmogrify into anything weird. If you like rose but not too much rose, this is a nice way to wear it. I don't know why this is called Delirium because it seems very gentle-- modestly pretty. I don’t know if I’d get a big bottle, but I’ll definitely use up the sample.

In the Bottle: Apple and lemon.

Wet: Rose and lemon- you would think this would smell heavenly, but you'd be mistaken.

Drydown: Lemon, rose and apple are actually each discernible from one another. Low throw. Sadly, this goes majorly soapy on me- and now in a good way.

1/5

Even though I'm not huge on roses or florals, I really like this scent. It was too sharp straight out of the bottle--a very prickly rose. A moment after it goes on, though, it sweetens right up. The rose is still dominant, then the lemon, but the apple is there in the background. Unfortunately, it's wavering right at the point of turning to either soap or powder, and since my skin chemistry is the best it's been in a while, I'm worried that this won't be wearable for me. So I guess it's off to swaps. :(

I'm starting to feel like "my" scent, when I find it, will be floral--and that frightens me, since most of the people around me hate florals.

in imp: apple, lemon, rose- in that order. Bright and juicy, feminine.

On skin: rose petals wrapped around an apple, dipped in lemon juice. A weird undertone is lingering there that reminds me of... poultry. Cooked, moist, chicken.

Drydown: Can't pinpoint particular scents besides a morphing of the three together, I do feel almost delirious attempting to track them down! I ended up reapplying and got an instant shot of apple, which quickly began it's crazy dance with my nose, throwing on its rose and lemon masks. Where am I getting cucumber from? And TURKEY?? What on earth? I keep getting wafts of all these different scents, and think, "Who's wearing rose perfume? Did someone just cut up a lemon in the library? Am I eating a fresh green apple I wasn't aware of??" Oh, no, it's just Delirium, plucking at my olfactory sanity.

Verdict: This is the equivalent of hearing voices, but it's SO DARN NICE. I don't even care that it tricks my brain, I want to slather and slather!

Delirium, indeed.

This was a freebie from the Lab.

In the imp, this was all fruit, with the faintest floral background. I couldn't even identify it as rose at that point.

For the first ninety minutes or so, I got apple. Sweet, but not too sweet. I wish I could smell more lemon, but it mixed with the apple so well that I could never really pick it out.

Then: Rose. It's been almost ten hours since I put this on, and after that first hour and a half, it's been all rose. It's a well-behaved, subtle rose.

This is a very pretty scent, but I don't think it's very me. I do think it's a lovely springtime scent. I just wish I could have kept that first apple stage.

First Sniff: Apple with a bit of wet dish-rag underneath it (I hope the apple pushes out the other!).

Initial Wet Application: Fresh, light juicy apple. This is not the bite of a granny smith apple, but rather the more gentleness of a mackintosh or a pink lady. It’s delicate, even after three swipes with the imp wand. And it’s a bit soapy already.

Beginning Dry Down (first 15 minutes) & Dry: There’s some soft lemon in this which is what, I think, it making the apple a bit wonky. But the rose is taming this enough so that it’s not lemon drop candy or Pinesol so far, which is nice. Although I do still involuntarily cringe at the scent of lemon! At one point during the dry down it couldn’t seem to make up its mind, which was exactly the point for this imp! Once it dried completely though it was too faint and was hard to tell what I was actually sniffing; faint lemon tamed by rose though I think.

My Reaction: I’ve been trying to expand my BPAL collection to include things other than aquatics, hence why I gave Delirium (with apple, lemon and rose) a try. It’s interesting, with the faint apple mellowing the lemony rose, but not something I would reach for often, if ever.

Rating: 2

I got this in my Quest for the Perfect Apple Scent. On me, the rose amps liekwhoa, but the lemon and apple are still discernible. It's a bit too bright for me, so I don't reach for it very often, but I apply it whenever I need to wake up RIGHT HERE AND NOW. It's rather good that way. :)

Edited by vthesiren

ITI: It's oddly soapy on first sniff. After some concentration, I get green apples. bitter lemon, and light, pale roses.

Wet: The roses are a bit stronger and deeper (redder) on my wrist, although the lemon is bitter and somewhat soapy still and the apples still green. It's interesting, but I wish it was a little sweeter.

Dry: While it was drying, I still picked up on the soapy tone, but it wasn't all together unpleasant. Now, it's a soft, gentle blend of rose, something faintly sweet, and just a little tart - like early spring. I do like it, even despite the soapiness.

Hmm, I find Delirium to be a very adept name for this scent. It's utterly Fruity/Floral, and I think that perhaps this is a little too bubbly for me.

Wet: Apples.

Dry: Fruity, but the roses come through very strong here.

It stays on your skin for an average amount of time. It's not a favorite, but I assume someone who loves fruity florals would go crazy ::wink wink:: for this scent.

In the imp: The scents are very well blended & it's hard to separate the individual notes from each other. It's all one crazy appley-rosey-lemony smell. "Delirium" is a very apt name choice for this one!

Wet on skin: The apple starts making its way forward (apple tends to amp on me), but the lemon is still there with it (like when you coat apple slices with lemon juice to prevent them from going brown... anyone else's grandparents do that to them, or just mine?), with a faint rose in the background which is growning fainter by the second. Unsurprising, as Rose almost never sticks around on my skin.

Dry: It's blended again, but there's almost no rose left. It's a sort of unearthly appley-lemony scent, with a TINY hint of floral.

After a few hours: It's faded a bit, but it's still there when I sniff my wrists. The notes have blended even further now & I can't pick any of them out. It's quite sweet & zesty.

Verdict: I really like this one! It's not something I'd wear on a very regular basis, as I generally prefer florals or mostly-florals, but it's still a really fun perfume that I think I'll get a fair bit of use out of. Really good for those days when you need a bit of a pick-me-up or are feeling a bit silly!

My imp of this somehow broke and leaked everywhere, so I am testing what little I could get out of it.

I mostly get apple from this at first, but the rose and the lemon are definitely present. I love apple notes, so I am enjoying this thus far.

The rose seems to be coming out more with time, but the apple still seems to be the dominant note.

I like this, but I will have to get another imp to test a larger amount and see if I need a bottle (because I have so many apple scents and rose scents already).

This was a frimp from the Lab. I tested it with a little trepidation, given my history with lemon--I tend to amp it, and it's not really a note I love. As for the other two notes in Delirium, I amp and love apple, and love but often anti-amp rose.

Wet, this is a really well-blended mix of the three notes. When you smell it, you don't necessarily think of any one of them individually. But if you go looking, you can pick out each of the three. They're very balanced in the wet stage.

As it dries, at first I get my usual lemon-amping issue. For a little while, it seems like it's going to dominate the blend. But rose has a resurgence and catches up to it. It cycles back and forth between two stages: one that smells like rosy lemonade, and the other that's sort of a spicy rose potpourri or maybe a rosy spiced tea. Unusually for me, the apple is the least prominent of the lot, but I think it may be what I'm picking up as a spice note.

Dry, rose is the most prominent note. Rose? Holy crap, guys. I don't think I've ever had rose outlast the rest of a scent before. Maybe my skin has finally stopped just deleting it? It's the soft girlish rose from Persephone. Now I want to retry Persephone.

Delirium is mostly gone at about the one-hour mark, except for some lingering hints of rose. That said, I like it. I often say that I'm going to wear this oil or that oil in the summer, and often I never actually get around to it, but I think in this case I mean it. This is a light, breezy blend but with just enough decadence to suit my fancy. Not a bottle as of now, but keeping the imp.

I try to test things before looking at the notes and at first in the imp sniff could not distinguish anything. On the skin it first smelled awful, like a wet nappy and then the lemon kicked it. Really kicked! I have learned to be patient with BPAL morph magic and sure enough, after 10 minutes, rose and apple, which settles finally into a long lasting soft rose with an apple scented veil. Lovely after a shocking beginning! Rose fans might enjoy this in hot weather.

In the frimp: apples, *strong* roses, slight hint of citrus in the background. The strong rose gave me a headache almost right away, I'm not a huge fan of rose scents. From the reviews I was hoping it would be more toned down by the lemon than it was.

Wet on skin: apples and rose, mostly rose... still really not liking it. Bursts of apples, which is better, but mostly overwhelming rose.

Dry down: not changing much, all powdery rose now... cloying and unpleasant. Old lady perfume.

Rose just doesn't work on my skin... it explodes. Headachey now, going to wash it off.

I get all three notes in equal parts: floral rose, tart apple, and lemon. Strangely, although I love all three of these and they blend beautifully here, I just can't see myself reaching for this one often. I think the lemon might be a bit overwhelming and "cleaner" like.

This is pretty clean and straightforward. I get all the listed notes easily on application.

It pretty much is staying that way, but I tend to amp the Lab's lemon and rose notes, and that's whats happening. If the apple stayed with them, I would like this a lot for a warm weather, fun scent.

But sour roses? no thanks.

In the imp: apple and sweet lemon.

Wet: Strong lemon, a tiny bit of rose.

Dry: smells like rose tea. Pretty, light and fresh.

In the imp: Apple!

Wet on my skin: You know how ground-fallen apples smell when they start to rot and get squishy and have blackened edges along bites/cuts in the skin? That's this. Sharp and sour and unpleasant.

Dry: I tried to wait for it to dry completely, but nope. Nooope. Headache-inducing and stomach-turning. Had to wash it off, which is so rare for BPAL scents. I'm sorry. :(

Delirium is just all over a fun scent! The rose lends a sophistication, but the buzz and pop of lemon with the sweet apple in the background makes it a little whimsical. Particularly good and refreshing for summer - I would consider this my summer rose scent.

Ooo this is great!

It reminds me a lot of Persephone but I think I like Delirium even better. The lemon and the apple are the perfect mix of tart and sweet together and the rose note is beautiful as always.

I'm going to have to do a side-by-side comparison with Persephone but this might become my go-to warm weather rose scent.

How did I not review this??

Delirium was on my "buy a bottle" list for 10 years (literally). I FINALLY got around to getting one last year, and I am so happy to finally have it! Rose and lemon, with hints of apple (that I can stand, I usually don't care for apple much). This has become my "Spring Rose" scent, and I adore it. So simple and pretty.

Ok, I need a bubbly, happy, light-hearted scent today, so I'm gonna try out Delirium. It's a clear thin oil. On application, I immediately get the rose and lemon. I always manage to forget how distinct of a floral rose is, and this is quite strongly in the "fresh rose" category for me. It's very planty and dewy and cool. The lemon is tart and bitter, balancing pretty evenly with the rose. Apple is an underlying sweetness, much more Fuji than Granny Smith, and I don't get it as strongly as the other scents. I think it's a pretty perfect evocation of the concept and description, it's 'merrily mad, bubbly and contrary'. The throw is surprisingly good for such light scents. Like, I can smell the sillage from my wrist just while texting. The color association is pinky red and yellow (obvious color association is obvious). After a couple hours most of the bite of the lemon fades and I'm left with a sweet rose with a very slight tang. Actually it doesn't fade entirely, it drifts in and out. I'm shocked the lemon sticks around, citrus usually vanishes on me immediately! The staying power pretty good, I can still smell this about 12 hours later. I really liked this one, it's fun and light and energetic.