Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Effluvia

La Petite Mort

La Petit Mort

Seduction, sensuality, the Act, and the aftermath all in one. The scent of warm, damp skin flushed with the glow of passion, touched by the luxuriant potency of ylang ylang and myrrh.

Great scent in the bottle, really smell the ylang ylang (which I love) and probably the myrrh, which I have not smelled yet.

On wet, ugh, really didn't like the way the scents combined on my skin but stuck through it.

On the drydown, the scent is getting better, not as bad as wet, can't describe it well enough.

Dry, it has morphed into a beautiful scent surprisingly! I really thought that I would hate this, but it really is a sweet soft scent, very warm smelling.

Definitely one to keep around and one that will need to be put on a bit before I go out. :P

La Petit Mort. Somehow I expected something stronger. At first, I honestly could not smell this at all. Putting the vial up to my nose, I couldn't smell it. So I slaaaaathered it on. My boyfriend said he could smell it and it smelled like baby powder. But he says that about alot of things, so I didn't pay much attention.

About 30 minutes later, I could smell this very subtle, pleasant fragrance and realized it was coming from me. Weird, but nice. If there isn't something wrong with my nose, this could be a good work scent.

La Petit Mort was a generous freebie with my order, and one I had wanted to try.

In the bottle and on me when the oil was wet, I was enveloped in a lovely, sweet floral smell, which I attribute to the ylang ylang. It smelled almost like jasmine, which is lucky for me as I love jasmine. It's a smell that isn't overbearing, which is good because I'm rather finicky with floral scents.

Now, about two hours or so later, the fragrance has died down and I'm starting to get a hint of the powdery note that others have mentioned, but it's more like baby oil than baby powder, and to me it still smells good. At this point in time I would normally reapply, since the scent isn't really detectable unless I smush my nose into the crook of my elbow.

I found La Petit Mort to be a wonderful scent, and I'm quite happy the Lab included it along with the gobs of other imps. Although I may not get a big bottle of it for myself any time soon, I think I will buy a bottle as a holiday gift for someone. I'm definitely keeping the imp, and I can see La Petit Mort becoming a favourite.

As xoe mentioned, it's a good work scent. I didn't really get the sexual connotations that others were getting, actually. It seems like a rather fun yet elegant fragrance that is versatile enough to be worn at any time of the day.

-doreen

la petite mort

at first: i think i smell honey, but that isn't on the list. hmmm...i'm not sure. very interesting.

on: definitely honey, but something else. sexy, sticky, sweaty. very fun.

2 hours later: a darker, slightly biting, honey. very interesting.

12 hours later: well, this one definitely lasts. i keep getting whiffs of a dark honey every now and then. it's gorgeous.

overall: i love this one. it'll be a contest between o and la petite mort for which one i'll be getting a bottle of.

First sniff: Deeply smoky, spicy, musky. La Petit Mort reminds me somewhat of O, but it’s much darker… almost forbidden.

Wearing: Oh. Oh. Smoky honey, dragonskin-bronze like the single note, and heated from within like dragonskin too. If I sniff my wrist directly, there are a few sweet soft white flower petals sprinkled over, but the aura is all flushed and breathless and wow. I guess the floral has to be ylang ylang, but my brain identifies it as rose, and it’s a bit powdery. The initial burst is fabulous, but it dries to the powdery rose, which just isn’t me. *rummages for her Honey to get the wet effect*

I get O, but softer, less piercing, and sexier grown up sister of Dana O'Shee. I can't live without Dana O'Shee, and I love O, although she sometimes gives me a headache. This one is not giving me a headache, and does stay a little closer to the skin. It reminds me of Spellbound, which I can't wear, but smells so great on one of my friends that it makes me envious.

A great cool weather scent. I'm glad I bought the 5 ml.

Edit: I applied this quite liberally in the morning and it lasted a good 10 hours. I especially liked it in the afternoon and evening. It dries down soap/powdery in a good way - it's clean and warm at the same time, and not overpowering. The more I wear this, the more I like it. To my mind, it's another possible signature scent, because it's so subtle it could almost just be your natural emanation (yeah right, if you were an angel...) or a person could think it was your soap or shampoo ... it's tantalizing and somewhat addictive. This is another can't live without scent, for me - as in, panic sets in when the bottle gets down to about a third left ....

Edited by Fulltiltredhead

La Petit Mort

I haven't smelled Snake Oil (shush, it's on one of my upcoming orders, I swear), but I have smelled O. There's a certain similarity, though with O I get so overwhelmed with the delish combination of chocolate and skin that I get lost and can't think of anything else. La Petit Mort is similar in that it too has a skin smell. For a good while here, all I smelled was powder and I didn't like it. Then emerged a wafting, golden haze to the whole thing and it just became intensely satisfying-pardon the pun. Though it does still smell powdery, it now smells like powdering, golden scrubbed skin. I likes it. It makes me feel sensual and clean, spent and innocent. Yummy!

I swapped for an imp of La Petite Mort even though I had an imp coming in an order because I was so desperate for a good myrrh scent. I am so glad that I did! On me, this is a wonderful skin scent that is darker version of O with tiny hints of white florals (must be the ylang ylang). I already bought a 5 ml bottle :P

Edited by tempete

In the vial, I definitely get ylang-ylang with just a touch of myrrh.

Wet: oh, this is nice. My own skin-scent is very baby-powdery, and I've always liked that smell-- it strikes me as warm and intensely comforting. This is very powdery on me, like my skin only more so. It doesn't strike me as necessarily sexy, though; more like snuggling up with my favorite pillow and blissing out.

Drydown: snuggly and golden. I want a big bottle of this.

I've never liked the smell of baby powder. Although, mysteriously, Jezebel smells like baby powder to me and yet I like it, La Petite Mort smells like baby powder to me--and I do not. They don't smell that much alike--argh, I can't figure it out. Anyhow, it's all good; I know someone who likes it and could always do with another impful. :P

I fully intend to ignore the fact that I may be slightly allergic to Le Petit Mort, because I LOVE it. I usually sneeze once or twice right after putting it on, but it wears all day on me, so I don't have to reapply.

Also, this scent doesn't change very much on me...it's superheated skin, almonds, and cinnamon from the moment it goes on. I love it because it's mysterious, unusual, and sensual, but highly original at the same time. If this oil were a color it would be a dusky rose.

Maybe I like the compliments I get when I wear this, too. What of it?

Okay, I've never tried O, so I can't say if this is a close cousin or not, but...

First sniff:

Honey and ylang-ylang maybe? There's something that smells like honey and something spicy and floral at the same time, which I'm guessing is the ylang-ylang. I could be wrong, though. It wouldn't surprise me. :P

Wet on skin:

Very almondy for some reason. I'm sorely tempted to wash it off because of my infamous almond phobia, but I'll wait it out since it smelled quite nice in the vial. :D

Dry down:

There we go. No more almonds of doom. Now it smells like honey and spice/florals again. There's a smidgen more spice now than there was in the beginning and I'm finding I really like this. I'm not sure if it's me or not, though.

The bottom line:

I think this one's going to need a couple more tries before I can decide for sure and certain whether or not it's for me. I like it on one whiff, love it on another and feel kind of queasy on a third, so time shall tell whether or not this one will be a success or a failure.

La Petite Mort is like a softer, more subtle O on me.

Very sweet and floral in the vial, it mellows into a smooth powdery scent after a couple of minutes. Ylang-ylang can sometimes get overpowering on me, but here it stays in the background and imparts a beautiful floral note to the blend.

In spite of the floral notes, La Petite Mort never gets "parfumey". This smells very natural on me, like my skin only much, much better! :P

This is absolutely gorgeous. I was thinking of getting a bottle of either O or Jezebel, but I think that we have a new winner!

La Petite Mort is just beautiful. It's what I wear when I want an unabashedly sensual scent. Warm, sweet, and honey-ish, but still distinctively grown-up, rather than cloying. The ylang ylang manages not to smell floral -- rather, it just smells smoooooth and warm. This is a gorgeous "come closer and smell my skin" perfume.

It is slightly less heady and sweet than O, but slightly more warm and sexual than Tiger Lily. Just perfect.

:P

The notes that I detect besides the ylang ylang and mhyrr, which only appear when applied and give this a spicy, sexy edge are VANILLA definately and perhaps honey... that's all I can really draw out.

This scent is definately vanilla based - when applied it's extremely warm because of this, and also the spices.

A beautiful, sensual smell - but not unique enough for me to buy a big bottle. What can I say, I'm not a big vanilla girl, and this is a big vanilla scent, dig?

You ought to try it though! I can see loving this one with more normal tastes. :P

So interesting, this one. I put it on and it was a quite sweet honey scent, but there was a note in it that reminded me of the slight herbal or green note that's in some of the Voodoo blends. Is that ylang ylang? Or myrrh? I wish I knew. I like it though, it cuts the sweetness when it's wet.

It's been going back and forth between warm baby powder scent and faint sweet sexy honey scent all day long on me. I really like it. Wish it were stronger, and still probably like O better, but I do wish I had another imp of this to slather (I have to put on quite a lot to smell it on me).

Me likey...

its sexy and soft... like afterglow... it doesn't have the brazen sexuality of O ans Snake Oil... its very sweet, feminine... I get the honey/vanilla thing... but not in a foody way... I could wear this everyday... and may have to get a big bottle to do just that...

I think this on the short list of favorites!! In fact... I like it BETTER than Snake Oil...

For me La Petite Mort is a dark and smoky version of O.

Top notes burn off quickly, and there's a layer of buckwheat honey and ginger that stays close to the skin, imperceptible to anyone whose skin isn't pressed against your own.

From the bottle I can smell the similarity to O, but not Snake oil. On my skin, something takes over and turns this sharp at first (I presume it's the ylang ylang), and it turns powdery. Not bad powdery, just... meh.

I received this as a freebie in my last order, and I'm so glad! I don't know whether I would have picked it out otherwise, but now I think I will purchase a big bottle.

I get the same "warm" smell that everyone has mentioned, and a touch of floral that is not perfumey, grandma-esque, but more exotic---the ylang ylang perhaps? The scent does not have a lot of "throw," which is fine with me as I don't want to annoy people with the scent (as someone with a sensitive nose, I know how irritating that can be), but it does last. La Petit Mort is subtle rather than overpowering; something to build my confidence, and share with the people close to me---real close. In a world of vinyl miniskirts, this is a bias cut gown---sexy in a completely grown up way.

Ancientgirl

I have tried it about 4 times and each time it either smells like nothing, baby powder or very light and warm sweat scent. I give up!

I really wanted to like this one because of the name. I am going to trade the imp because it isn't doing anything for me.

Update: The last time I tried it before I traded it, it lasted a long time, started out like baby powder, then sweat and now, 12 hours later it smells like warm honey. I don't mind the last scent. It's good. Not bottleworthy but nice.

Edited by Madame Nyx

in the imp this has some similar scents as queen of sheba- probably the honey, and myrrh. it smells warm, in a golden kind of way. i can also pick out some of the baby powder scent others have mentioned.

after it dries down on me, this smells like warm, slightly damp (sweaty?) skin w/ a light powder overlay. i'm not sure how i feel about it, but it *is* very well named! it very much has an 'after sex' kind of glowly smell to it.

This has a nice warm scent, sweet for sure; I thought it smelled so much like Desire, to the point that I couldn't tell them apart on my skin, although I'm not sure they share any common ingredients!

I've tried Snake Oil, and I can see the resemblence. La Petite Mort is less vanilla sweet and with a very metallic edge, and feels more intense. I haven't gotten a "baby powder", but it eventually got a bit smokey and woodsy. Very good stuff.

Edited by evil_laugher

In the imp: Very subtle - the first thing that poked out at me was the scent of honey - very reminiscent of O

Wet: Hmm.. its warming up, very much becoming a skin scent, flushed and definately sexy but it doesnt waft much and I have to press my nose against my wrist to really get it. This is a get up close and personal sort of smell. The myrrh gives it a little bit of spice, and that initial honey note is gone, the best way I could describe it is languid. Like dark molasses oozing over your skin.

Dry: I liked it better coming right out of the imp - and wish that the honey note stuck around. Actually I'm liking it more as time goes on but its so close to the skin that I'd have to coat myself in it for any throw. I'll use up the imp and may want a 5ml of this one