Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Effluvia

La Petite Mort

Wow, I'm the first to review this lovely scent! :D

Seduction, sensuality, the Act, and the aftermath all in one. The scent of warm, damp skin flushed with the glow of passion, touched by the luxuriant potency of ylang ylang and myrrh.

in the vial: UGH. This is sort of like a cross between O and Snake Oil!!! It's that utterly sexual passion-flushed skin smell of O mixed with an incredibly beautiful, non-cloying sweet spiciness of Snake Oil. Very, very, very sexual, but in a very subtle way. It's emotionally complex and slightly dark.

on my skin: This does go slightly powdery, but only very, very slightly. It's creamy. It's gorgeous. This is going to become *insanely* popular. :D

Everyone's going to freak out when they smell this. :D

Wow. WOW. That's all I can really say about it... :P

On me this is all rose and gold. It’s light and sweet without smelling too… innocent?

This wears close to the skin… you couldn’t smell this in a crowd. Feels like I’m wearing a little secret.

I can’t pick out any individual notes and it didn’t morph at all in the 12 or so hours it lasted. Fine by me, because it’s perfect as is.

This is like air and water… absolument nécessaire

In the vial: it smells like a cross between O and Snake Oil to me.

On me: Whosawhasawhoaaaaa... The myrrh kicks in immediately, and melds with something else to create a slightly spicy, but very warm and resiny base note upon which the ylang ylang dances very very faintly. I smell incredibly good.

I would never have tried this if the Lab hadn't thrown it in. I'm so glad they did because I love it!

The best parts of snake oil and the best parts of O... pretty much sums it up. You have to throw in the "skin" element here though...

The drydown is very lovely, perhaps more so than either O or snake oil. It does get a little powdery, but it is such a warm powdery beautiful smell. It reminds me of laying in bed with someone you have just spend a Sunday afternoon naked with, without all of the dog hair =)

I will have to order a bigger bottle of this, but only after I get a few others that I am wanting. I am going to have to try putting O and snake oil together to see how close that is.

This would be a great one for someone's first order as it has so many of the good parts of some of the Lab's two most popular scents, but you could get them in just one imp.

to my nose it is a combo of o, snake oil, black phoenix, and baby powder. mostly similar to o.

i do like snake oil, but my skin does NOT like o, and i don't like baby powder smell. ick!

seeing as how popular o and snake oil are though, i think this will be a highly regarded scent.

In the bottle I feared this had been swapped for O without my knowing it and indeed the first minutes of wearing it were very O-ish, that sweet musky almost chocolatey sex scent. This never really picked up any other notes on me, sadly, though it has softned into something a bit more softly powdery than O does. I may let this linger around for a week when hormones are not quite so insane and try again but at the moment I'm swapping this one

I had a whole one minute where I could smell the combo of Snake Oil and O (it smelt so promising) and then it turned into a strong powdery smell. However O has never really worked on my skin, either.

:P

First Impression: I got this in a swap from Pekeana. I couldn't wait for my bottle to arrive so I nabbed it. Dead ringer for O but softer.

Second Impression: Oh this one is morphing, the longer it dries the more it changes and the more strength it gathers. I smell honey and myrrh and ylang ylang. It has elements of O, Desire and Snake Oil. Simply irresistable. I do like this much better than O. It's sexy without being dirty.

Final Analysis: So glad I ordered a bottle of this. It's sexy and sweet and second skin-like. :P Well done.

Le Petit Mort is a highly erotic yet amazingly comforting scent. Smelling it reminds me of that wonderful "after glow" feeling of being really loved and happy and sated. It feels warm like that first touch of skin on skin, yet so familiar - the happiness of climbing into bed with someone you know inside out and knows you in the same way, whose body is a joy to touch, whose love makes your life worth living.

Le Petit Mort sparked strong feelings in me. I put it on before I went to bed and fell asleep with the biggest smile on my face.

I haven't read the description for this because I don't want my review to be influenced. Lol.

Wet: Smells like one of those woody/oriental scents like myrrh, frakincense, sandalwood, patchouli, etc.

On the skin: Woody but refreshing...like a very expensive soap marketed toward men. Yet at the same time, I smell something feminine, too. It smells like a man and a woman who both have scents of soap and perfume lingering on their skin. This scent makes me think of a hot naked guy for some reason. :P

Dry down: It still smells like a bar of VERY expensive soap to me. It makes me think of the kind of soap that people from long ago used.

I also see images of the inside of a castle, red brocade fabric, lush velvet, potpourri being used to freshen up the heat of Summer...and looking outside the castle window you'd see an endless field of lush green grass. I also see a king presenting to his queen (or courtesan) gifts of sik, spice, perfumes and jewelry that his men brought back from the Far East. Don't get me wrong, this doesnt' smell Oriental in the traditional way...this smells more like something that's been brought to Europe from the Orient (it smells more like something that is inspired by something else). It does smell very erotic.

The final verdict: I'm not sure if I'll buy a bottle of this, but I might continue to wear the imp. This perfume is more like a dress up perfume for me. I'll probably swap it away, but only because I have no reason/occasion to wear it.

Edited by SilverGarland

Oddly, Le Petit Mort smells nothing like either O or Snake Oil on me. (I have O on one hand and Le Petit Mort on the other hand right now.)

I just get a sort of musky, myrrh, vaguely soapy scent from it. It does smell kind of like warm just-washed skin - like a guy who uses some kind of woody-scented soap, as SilverGarland said. My skin seems to amplify the woody/resiny parts of this and cancel out the rest.

So, yeah, not really me, I guess I'll swap it.

Am I the only one who finds this is VERY much like Spellbound (this is not a bad thing, I really like Spellbound, it's one of my keepers)???

A little heavier on the rose and a little lighter on the headshop, otherwise the two are almost identical on me after drydown.

Le Petit Mort is all the bare-skinned, honeycream treacle of O, but without the baby powder after-effect. Feels like slightly flushed, kissed skin, and has a hazy cocoa-ness to it. Lovely and sexual.

This is the first time I'm reviewing a scent I didn't care for. I much prefer Snake Oil or O. I thought I'd love this but sadly the myrrh and ylang ylang don't smell right on my skin. I just tried Erato and I had the same thing happen and I think it had myrrh and ylang ylang in it also.

I loved the sound of this but was intimidated by the ylang-ylang, which is never a scent I get along well with. Sure enough, that is what came stridently through on my first test of this. I was upset because I love Snake Oil and O and yet this did not even seem in the same family as them. Luckily it morphed after about half an hour into what it is now - a mellow golden powdery scent. I still don't get O or Snake Oil (if anything, it reminds me of Haunted) but I do like it quite a bit. It hasn't captured my heart like O or Old Morocco or Kali but it's still a pleasant drowsy afternoon scent.

It is absolutely no fun that so many of the "smells like sex" oils turn positively rancid on me. I don't want to know what that says about my body chemistry.

Le Petit Mort smells lovely in the vial, sort of sweet and smoky, but once it dries on my skin it smells like a mix of baby powder and drain cleaner. Not fair.

I'm still trying to figure this out. I put it on and wet it was sort of sweet sort of heady...I did not smell the spicyness in there at all. After it dried down it turned into a giant bouquet of flowers. I think I may have been having on off day chemically. I'm going to try it again when I get home, but this is defaintely a cool weather scent. It's too heavy for any day warmer than 65 degrees.

My husband asked what I was wearing and I told him that it was Le Petit Mort...and then I told him what it meant. He came up and sniffed again and decided that it did, indeed, smell of skin after, um, love. This is a beautiful, warm scent...and it makes me want to snuggle up in my bed.

Beautiful. Not too floral, not too woody...just a perfect blend.

This is a beautiful scent. I got this as a freesbie in my order and am I ever glad that Beth included it! From the vial I got flroal spiciness and when I put it on the myrrh really comes out on me. I get a warm slightly spicy scent with a background of florals. This is gorgeous stuff!

Wow, we are all over the place on this one! Nope, I don't get any sense of Snake Oil or O from La Petit Mort. I DO get the skin after, erm, love thing, though. I mostly get that smoky warmth from myrrh and something green. On some days, the green smells like the pure green note in Venus, on others it's a little dirtier, like vetiver (but just a touch, not strong at all). I can't for the life of me find any ylang ylang in this.

So as confusing as it is to try to describe this oil or figure out what other people are smelling, at least I know I LIKE it. It's mesmerizing and addictive :P Not particularly long lasting, doesn't waft much, but I can't stop sniffing my wrist.

ETA: The imp reviewed above was from a swap. I just got another one which I ordered from the lab, it is much sweeter and less green, now I get the O comparison others were making. Maybe that first one was a prototype? I like this version even better!

Edited by ChupaChup

Le Petit Mort from the Love Potions. This was a very deliciously erotic scent to me.

All the notes had intermingled and I couldn't separate a single note. But over all, I liked it, I also want a bigger bottle. This was a frebbie from the lab.

Edited by Shollin

In the bottle this is all smokey warmness. If I had to describe this scent in one word it would be "afterglow". Eep is that appropriate? Anyways I definately get a slight spiciness similar to Snake Oil. If I had to pick from the scent in the bottle I think I would pick La Petite Morte though.

Unfortunately I don't think myrrh likes me very much. On my skin this goes rancid fairly quickly. I hoped that it was a hormonal thing, but no such luck. The smell just goes right to the pit of my stomach. When not on my skin though it is fabulous. I left an imp of La Petite Morte in my purse in the pocket where I keep my phone sometimes. Everytime I open my purse or take out my phone I find myself thinking "What is that incredible smell?" And the other day I put it on a bandana I was wearing (so as not to directly touch my skin or hair, and once again I was struck by how much I liked it. I think this is one for me to wear in a scent locket next.

Ooo...really nice. Softer than I expected; it does remind me of O, although a bit spicier and stronger than O on me. (I know I just said it's soft, but O is very soft on me; neither of these is what I would call strong). It also reminds me of a sexier Dana O'Shee; after having it on for a few minutes a touch of almond appeared, which went well with the myrrh. This blends right into my skin, and I'd like to try layering it with O or Dana--it seems likely that they could all have an orgy together :P

Thus far, none of the supposedly Sexy (with a capital S) scents have induced a Nosegasm for either me or my boy. I'm still looking for my Seductress scent (when I find it, everyone will know!), but I would just say this is completely wearable and very nice.

La Petite Mort strikes me as an edgier version of Alice. Sweet and honeylike like Alice, with a bit of a darker and sexier undertone. It’s replaced Alice as my favourite sweet scent, because it is not quite as foody and a little more intense and complex. I just wish I got the ylang ylang notes, they don't come across on me at all.