Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Effluvia

La Petite Mort

The scent of warm, damp skin flushed with the glow of passion, touched by the luxuriant potency of ylang ylang and myrrh.

This is like O's little sister on me--they're both primarily honey scents.

The honey is lovely in La Petit Mort, and the ylang ylang gives it a "glowing" quality, a lightness that is missing in O. However, the amber lends O its staying power, which is missing here--this fades quickly on me. This is nice, soft, and sweet--but I think I prefer the uber-honey of O.

La Petite Mort

In the imp: this reminds me of incense-maybe that's the myrrh? I detect a hint of sweetness, and a slight smell of almonds.

Wet on skin: a warm, almondy smell, this is similar to Eclipse, only softer. This is a very nice, gentle, close to the skin smell. I'm sure there must be vanilla in this too.

Dry on skin: I can't really describe this, but there's a lovely, soft and sensual smell on my skin. There are hints of vanilla, almond, and a hint of floral (ylang ylang, perhaps), and myrrh, but I can't really tell. All I know is that it's really nice, and comforting.

After a while: this smells like some kind of body lotion, or perhaps even baby oil, baby powder or even a hint of suntan lotion? Maybe that's the skin scent? I love the smell of baby skin, that's what I get in this, except more sensual. It's very soft and warming, it's like a glow of scent above my skin.

After a few hours, a lovely amber-myrrh smell is left, similar to what Khephra smelt like. Very nice.

I'm impressed at the staying power of this, I applied it at noon, and near midnight it's still there, but now it smells more like honey.

Verdict: this is a comforting, soft, sweet smell with a hint of ylang ylang, and a deep note which is probably myrrh, and something else i can't quite describe. It reminds me of a body lotion, or even baby oil, or suntan lotion-this is skin warmed by the sun (or by other means :P ) but not yucky-sweaty. I'm wondering if there's vanilla and almond in this. It's lovely and gentle, yet sexy at the same time.

Edited by yeahbutnobut

WHOA. Who could've guessed that this would be THE scent for me? It was a freebie with another order (thank you, Beth!) and I am bowled over.

O's classier sister. All the same with just a *little something* more. With the way it makes me feel, my husband isn't going to know what hit him when he gets home.

This reminds me of sex on a hot and humid summer night....

The smell of sex sweat, ylang ylang and the entanglement of silk sheets comes to mind.

In the Bottle: smells like very potent incense.

On Skin: i can smell the sandalwood. it's pretty strong. i can't smell the ylang ylang. i have to say that this is a very powerful scent. it does smell sensual.

On Drydown: i can smell some floral hints to it.

it just doesn't smell like me. the scent is too aggressive for my personal tastes. i may give it another whirl because i really wanted to like this scent, although i did have my doubts when i read about the vanilla tints to it, since i'm not a big fan of vanilla.

maybe i just don't do "sexy".

In Bottle: This is not what I expected. It's more floral. Hmmm. I can smell the ylang ylang underneath it all.

Wet: This scent is very light. I like it. It's still more florally than I expected, but the ylang ylang comes out more.

Dry: Sadly, this fragrance did not last very long, despite my constant slathering. It is a nice light springtime scent. To be honest, I thought it would smell the way Hetairae smelled on me--more "damp skin." I wish it had more staying power.

Initial Sniff: Mmmmm... almonds and cinnamon.

Wearing: The ylang ylang dominates when wet, but as this dries the sweet almonds and spicy cinnamon sneak back into the mix. I can't smell the myrrh specifically, but I do feel its presence, as it warms and softens the blend. Completely dry, this really smells like flushed and satisfied skin.

Final Impressions: Holy crap. This is so sexy!!! I must have more...

On first application: YUM! Warm and sweet and sexy and _complex_. Not overpowering.

After 30+ min it dries down to old lady powder. :-( Straight baby powder with a sweet smack in the back of the throat.

Yuck.

A softer, more honeyed O at first. A little kick of myrrh, but very sweet. Just-warmed skin, at that perfect temperature right before the sun gets too hot. Soft glow. I do catch the ylang ylang when I concentrate, so it is softly honeyed/syrupy floral, but a floral that's perfectly me, which is rare.

Touch of almonds as it dries, but still sweet and vanilla-y based. Love this! Almost worth a 5 mL--I need check if O and Black Phoenix, etc, aren't too close to it. If so, perhaps a swap is in order. Gets slightly spicier later, reminiscent of Queen of Sheba. Waft lessens.

In bottle: Quite spicy, like Snake Oil. Everyone compares it to the combination of Snake Oil and O...I've yet to try O but I can definitely smell elements of Snake Oil here in the same beautiful mix of spices and that ever-fantastic vanilla. There's something else here too, not detectable by the nose but by the feeling it inspires - it's something raw and sexual, that awakens desire and brings a playful smile to your face.

On me: I don't really know what to say. Somehow Beth managed to capture that post-coital calm and bottle it in this perfume. It is very musky and the myrrh gets stronger the longer it is on my skin. Unfortunately, it also starts going quite powdery, which is too bad, because I like this very much in the wet stages.

Wet it's ylang-yland with something more.

Intriguing.

Dry a human skin undertone comes out (if that's possible, Beth has done it).

Has a subtle honey touch, a bit like O.

And as time goes by it turns into a soft and intimate perfume.

Beauty in a bottle.

I've read in some of these reviews that this is a cross between O and Snake Oil, in which case I must get my hands on some O right now. Like yesterday.

I love this scent. It is to me the scent I can reach for when Snake Oil is just a little too blatant. You know, it's like wearing a little sign that says, "Sex would be great right now, plsthx." rather than hiring a blimp to follow you around trailing a banner saying, "ME NEED HOT LOVIN' NOW!"

In short, this is a great scent. Not too sweet, sexy, mischevious, and can put a glint in my eye.

Wet -- It's another one that assaults you when it's in the bottle, and wet it went way sweet on me.

Dry down -- it was still sweet -- I assume that's the ylang ylang -- and a little powdery, which isn't a bad thing as I don't mind powdery scents.

About an hour later -- the powder faded and I started smelling the myrrh mixed with the ylang ylang, which is nice because it tones down the sweetness.

Over all -- The imp is a keeper, but I'm going to hold off putting it on my bottle list until I try O and Snake Oil.

Wow, this smells just like skin. It's warm and sensual and a little bit sweet. I can't pick out any individual notes, but it really does smell exactly like sensual skin. Recommended for those who like warm and sweet scents.

lapetitemort.jpg

Ohhh!

Ohhhh!

Ohhhhhh!

Yes!

Yeees!

Yeeeeeeeeeeess!

This is a real olfactory orgasm, superb in my book. It reminds me a lot of Alice, but it is so very sexy, Yesssss! There are some similarities, so I will have to talk about La Petite Mort in relation to Alice.

La Petite Mort starts off with the almond smell, much fainter than in Eclipse but still there when wet. Then it settles down to a sweet Alice-like aura which really lasts a long time.

Side by side, Alice is much more lemony, lighter not as long lasting, less powdery (a characteristic the I adore), but with that wonderful note of carnation which La Petite Mort does not have. There is even a "whisper" of pine-like note about La Petite Mort which Alice would counter with a lemony-tea like part.

I guess that there is a lot of White Musk in La Petite Mort (part of the reason for Alice being so divine as well) a bit of Ylang-Ylang and God Knows what else. I am head over heals in love with La Petite Mort. It's Beth's ingredients that make for such a powerful pleasure blend.

*Please note, I don't really have any idea of what is in La Petite Mort, I am just taking a swag at it which is fun and helps me to sort out and learn different notes in a perfume. Also note I love Alice and La Petite Mort. They are both outstanding fragrances.

Edited by olympia301

In the Bottle or Imp:

A strong, somewhat musky amber that has a streak of almonds and cherries. Something about La Petite Mort also makes me catch my breath, as if there's something lurking beneath a simple surface.

Wet, on Skin:

Almonds and a powdery sweet fruit scent rise up to do battle with my nostrils. But, underneath this crazy strong, almost piercing throng of stuff-I-do-not-like I can detect a deep base of myrrh and resins.

Drying Down:

The blatant almond/cherry note has receded and is replaced by an amber, honeylike sweetness erring towards powder and a slinky, indescribably attractive scent. Wow, does this smell nice.

Over Time:

Has seemed to settle into something akin to the drydown. I mostly smell myrrh, the honey-sweet powder plus a little kick of something appealing and fruity.

Final Verdict?

Wow, this kinda... does smell like what I'd imagine a proper, uh... petite mort... would have as a fragrance. I like it a lot, but I don't think it could be regular wear on me as it's too sweet and suggestive for a guy. But, I'll hold onto the imp and if I use it up, it may need to be replaced for those special situations :P

This is so unbelievably awesome.

In the imp, I sniffed it and said, Oh, OK, it smells kind of nice. But other imps seemed more interesting, so I didn't try it right away.

So earlier tonight I realized I hadn't tested it yet, and I dabbed it on my wrists. And immediately my knees went weak.

I curled up with Hubby, who started nuzzling me. Both of us agreed this was a total aphrodisiac. I smell this and I want to have sex with me. It makes me tingly.

OK, to actually explain the scent: there's a heady, warm, sexy, delicious glow. And yet underneath it there's a higher note, so that you get the delicious musk of sex followed by the high tinge of - is that the ylang ylang? This is a more complex scent than I would have anticipated, there's a light twist to it.

It's almost - I want to say it reminds me of a banana type of lilt. It doesn't smell anything like bananas, like at ALL, and hubby looks at me funny when I try to explain, but it's that kind of a twinge/twist to it.

Sorry, I'm bad at this.

I'm getting a hint of powder underlying it, but not a strong baby powder, just a mellowing out of sorts. It's got a hazy glow surrounding it.

Someone earlier said it was more the morning after than the night before, and I think I agree. But it's the kind of scent that could make the morning after into round two.

It's light and deep and heady. I wouldn't wear this every day - far too distracting. I'd sit and sniff my wrists and moan.

But the next time Hubby and I have an evening out - or, better, an evening in - I'm going to slather this on.

Bottle (Imp): Quite smooth with a hint of sweet.

Just On: Really smooth with a fair bit of sweet.

An hour or two later: Quite smooth. Very sexy. Rawr. I smell like I've been dallying.

Around 6 hours: This has really settled into my skin, and I must shove my nose right in there to smell it at all. Just a bit of sweet smoothness.

12 hours: Bare bit of sweetness mixed with the scent of orgasm.

Overall: This is exactly what I expected out of O (I love O, but I never got the orgasmic part of it, just a sweet scent) when I ordered my first imp pack. It's sweet, sexy, and makes me wanna go bump uglies with The Mate.

After reading other reviews: This is the first BPAL that has given me that sex scent. The other may be nice, and pretty, but never smell like S-E-X, whereas this one dies in a big way. It's also lovely in general, and hit the big bottle list fairly quickly.

I absolutely love this scent...I got it for the name, but I can't believe how much I love it...when I mix it with anything, it gives it the scent of just finished sex, I tend to mix it with Whipporwill and Chiroptera, although tonight it is over WolfMoon, and oh my god...I need more of it....!

There was a faint babypowder scent the first time I used it, but it blended into this amazing rrrrrrwwwwrrrr kind of scent. My partner jumps me automatically when I wear it.

This was part of an order I got from the lab.

In the imp it smelled sweet and resinous with a faint hint of honey and almond. I thought YUM!

After I put my testing dab on my skin, I was putting the cap back on the very full imp, and a drop or two of oil ran down the side of the imp. NOOOOOOOOO! Oil got smeared all over my fingers, as if I had slathered. I tried to deal with it until after I had gotten my initial impression. With this amount of LPM on my skin it was like a Ylang Ylang explosion. That's all I could smell. I don't mind ylang ylang in small doses, but this was starting to give me a headache. I rushed to the sink and washed my hands and wrists with unscented soap.

When I was done washing, I sniffed my wrist to see if another wash was in order, and Hello! What's this lovely smell? It's a soft skin scent (just the kind of musk I love most), with a soft resiny sweetness. It's not powdery on me like amber, but a teeny bit dry and soft. The ylang ylang has calmed down to an acceptable hint of a scent. I wonder how long it will take for a fresh application to dry down to this stage. I'm definitely going to have to test again, since this may be the soft and sexy skin musk scent I'm looking for.

In the bottle:

Huh. Definitely the ylang-ylang -- I recognize that incense note -- and something else sweet, but it's hard to place this exactly.

Wet:

There's a sort of sourness to this like, yes, sweaty skin. I think I got that note in O as well. It's not unpleasant, just unexpected with the sweetness.

Drydown:

This eventually dried down to something pleasantly, undefinably sweet. The ylang-ylang kept a nice richness to the scent, but I wasn't getting the drives-you-wild thing O did for me, probably because there's no amber. The musk was sweeter, less feral and wild than in O, too.

I guess O feels like the "before -- and building" scent, and this is the "after" scent? :P Whatever the case, it's pleasant enough to keep, though not enough for me to buy a bottle.

Edited by sophia_helix

From the bottle:

wow. this is different. i cant figure it out. sweet, deep, and very different.

On me: hmm. sweet and incensy. and it keeps getting sweeter. smells like a rich purfume.

Two hours later: got way too sweet and almost powdery. I wish it hadn't.

Wet on me this was honey and ylang-ylang, sweet and lovely, but a little over powering. Dry on me it's completely switched around it's predominantly the incensey scent of myrrh with what smells to me like vanilla and amber in the background. It's very nice, but I think I prefer both O and Snake Oil, so I probably wont buy any more of it.

This smells like O with ylang ylang and myrrh. So gorgeous!!! Creamy and sweet, I get a little musk after it has been on my skin for a little while. I'm so glad I got an imp of this because I need to order a bottle now. The ylang ylang isn't strong at all, and there is also a little spice to it. Very seductive and I think captures the after feel off umm :P ...very nicely.

First sniff: Hmm... I don't smell the ylang ylang or myrrh, but instead this soft almost powdery sort of scent. Can't really identify more than that.

Swipe: Ye gads! Powder bombs a way. Damnit, I was hoping for more myrrh and even ylang ylang, instead this is a jumbled blob of difficult to identify notes.

Drydown: "Hmm, I don't think the orgasm-inspired smelly is working with me. Here, sniff."

bf - "Eww, it smells like baby powder - what is it, a pedophile orgasm??"

'Nuff said. This was just too powdery, too icky, and even after covering it up with Phantasm, some playdoh snuck through an hour later.

Overall: Damnnation!! I wanted an orgasm perfume!! Why do all the "sexy" ones never freaking work on me?!?!?! :P