Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Effluvia

La Petite Mort

Seduction, sensuality, the Act, and the aftermath all in one. The scent of warm, damp skin flushed with the glow of passion, touched by the luxuriant potency of ylang ylang and myrrh.

:::LA PETIT MORT:::

If warm skin that smelled such as this were pressed under my nose, then it would almost surely accompany involuntary vocalizations and a good... Twitch.
La Petit Mort is a tres' exciting little death.
This is a warm, wicked cross between a pulse thundering in the eardrums and a vertigo.
The Myrrh and Ylang-Ylang in La Petit Mort comingle superbly.
This is a hot, golden, floral exotica that wets the lips and flares the nostrils.
This is expert pressure of the teeth, arched vertebrae, lids half-mast and shortness of breath...
La Petit Mort pretty much sums itsself up, actually...
Why mess with perfection?
Yet another reason that BPAL is destined to become a major religion in this lifetime.
Sexy!
4/5.

Oh!! I like this one! I think I can definitely smell myrrh. It kinda reminds me of O, but this one doesn't go sour weird on my skin. I think I need to try this one some more and see what the SO says.

-ETA- Well, I like this one, but the SO doesn't so much. He says it is okay... *sigh* Looks like I have found yet another blend to wear for myself...

Edited by Catseyes

In imp and upon application I smelled a powderiness.. hesitant.. fearful.. is there a hidden rose or 2 in here? then poof! gone.

Wet: I can see the O association. This is O amped and refined. O 2.0? Mmmm. I like it more!

Drydown: lingering ylang ylang and myrrh mixed with sweet honeyed skin musk.. awesome!

Edited by SophieCedar

Urinal cake. That's what I got for the first two hours this was on

my skin. Urinal cake with a little pee still coming through.

After two hours, it became a slightly soapy, slightly sexy, honeyed, smoky, very subtle skin scent. Almost no sillage. It's OK at best. I was going to give it 1 star, but I'll be charitable and say 2 stars ( out of 5). The problematic note is probably ylang-ylang. It just has that urinary odor. Beware if you've ever had ylang difficulties.

When I opened the vial a very smelly & weirdly chemical ylang ylang leapt out and frightened me. I solidered on and swiped it on my arm. In short order, the sexiest, sweetest skin musk you ever did smell blossomed and the ylang ylang either disappeared, or gracefully folded into this skin musk and went to sleep. This is a very different skin musk than I'm used to from BPAL, which often smells like dirty skin to me, and is instead just lush, warm and golden.

Wearing this is like wearing skin that smells better than real skin. Subtle, with light throw, but infinitely sexy....

edit: If O doesn't work for you this might be the best alternative.I can't wait to explore the layering opportunities!

Edited by obsidienne

This is my first review, so needless to say, I don't really know what I'm talking about. :huh:

In vial: Smells like a typical oriental perfume. Very warm and with notes of floral and incense, I'm assuming that's the ylang ylang and myrrh.

Wet: Immediately on contact, the ylang ylang backs down and all but disappears, as I was hoping it would. The myrrh is warming up even more and underneath is a very soft, womanly skin smell (if that makes sense :unsure: )

Dry: The myrrh has taken on a darker, sultry side and a dusty honey has joined in. This is one sexy scent!

I wore this out to a bar last night, feeling very, well, sensual. At one point the rugged bartender was walking past my table and abruptly turned to look at me, ah! I've been to this bar and seen him many times and this has never happened before. I'm going to chalk it up to La Petite Mort, because by the end of the night, I was ready to pounce on myself. Er, okay, I'm way over sharing for my first review...

I have to say that I was ambivalent about La Petite Mort at first. It just smelled okay, nothing to write home about. Upon restesting a couple months later, I'm much more impressed. I don't know if it's the two months in the dark that worked wonders with this oil or if my skin chemistry was wonky when I first tried it, but this is subtle and classy now. I agree with everyone who says it's like skin, but better. I don't know if this is awesome enough to warrant a full bottle as I typically like bolder scents, but I will use my imp. ;)

imp: musk and ylang ylang. urg.

wet: this is really strong ylang ylang on my skin which is just icky.

dry: strong ylang ylang tends to ruin most blends for me and this is no exception. darn.

In the vial: Salty ylang. Quite nice.

Wet on skin: Myrrh explosion, very resinous, a little bitter but still soft.

Drydown: The scent of glorious nudity. Powdery, soft sandalwood, gently musky with only a trace of the ylang and myrrh. But a persistent trace. This is an intimate, personal scent, for me. Not extroverted sexuality like a giant screaming crotch flying in your face, but a whisper, a caress with very little words. I keep getting visuals of a white cotton shirt unbuttoned to reveal satiny skin on the collar bone area with a cascade of silky hair falling in.

Verdict: I love this one and I plan to never be without it. :wub2:

In Bottle: A very sweet, exotic scent. My nose seems to think it would be a great idea if I could fall into this bottle.

Wet: As soon as it is on skin, the scent deepens. There's a powdery element, but it's overshadowed by myrrh. A sweet myrrh. It's dreamy but also grounded.

Dry: The myrrh and ylang ylang marry beautifully. It's not an overwhelming scent, but it definitely lets you know that it's there and somehow it still manages to be light and sweet. The longer I wear it, though, the more powdery it becomes.

Overall: It's innocent and lovely and I keep sniffing my wrists. A good scent for when I'm feeling especially girly. It fades eventually, so this is one I'll have to re-apply once or twice more during the day.

It's sharp, sweet and floral for me. After a while it turns powdery on my skin. I wanted to love it because of the name but I guess it wasn't meant to be. I'll make sure to find it a good home. :)

Mmm, I love this! Very reminiscent of Snake Oil, but without the sharp, bitter edge that I get for the first hour or so of wearing. This goes on very soft and warm, and stays that way throughout. It feels incredibly sensual, but also very natural, almost as though it's an enhanced version of my own skin's scent. Unlike some of the other 'sexier' oils, I could see myself wearing this on a day-to-day basis. Love!

La Petite Mort frustrates me. It's just SOOOO chemistry finicky. I don't know if it because of shark week or changes in diet, but it keeps flipping back and forth between being...

a) OMG really truly one of the most sensual sexiest skin-but-better scents I have ever wore. :twisted:

-or-

b ) Toilet puck. Seriously. :evil:

I own Ylang-ylang SN, so I know it's not that that's causing it. So what gives?

Edited by rawgirl75

Oh my word. I love this. I've never been a huge fan of ylang ylang, so it wasn't on my list. Fortunately Shadith sent it to me as a frimp!

In the bottle: Sweet and smooth, maybe a hint of toasted almond.

Wet: Faintly medicinal, but musky.

Dry: There's the myrrh. My husband wanted to know if there was civet in this, but I don't think there is. Just very musky musk. It smells amazing. I wore it out to a bar last night and people were walking past sniffing my neck! It deepens the longer it's on the skin, until it turns into a spicy musk. Very sexy. Not a lot of throw, but I can still smell it this morning, almost 18 hours later.

First on, wet: OMG, it's in my top 5! It smells like me, only better - sweet, slightly dark and mysterious.

Near drydown: Wow, this fades fast. Maybe top 10.

Far drydown: Completely gone after 1 hour. No matter how good this smells, I'm not willing to re-apply every hour.

Thoughts before testing: I'm quite excited for this. I like skin musk and myrrh, and ylang ylang is a good note as well.

Wet: Floral honey. Not getting any myrrh from this. It's nice, but a little generic.

Dry down: It went a little astringent on my skin and is making me sneeze.

Dry: Damnations. It's pure powder on my skin while still managing to be astringent.

Final thoughts: Sale!

This is probably my favorite BPAL floral thus far, soft and sweet without being overpowering in the least. The myrrh gives it a roundness and depth that I really like. This is feminine in the best way, classy and sensual. I may have to add this to my "buy a bottle" list.

I am in love.

This is just OMG! How have I overlooked La Petite Mort? HOW?

I have tried SO and O hoping that they would be that perfect "sexy scent" but neither quite worked for me or with my skin chemistry. SO was way too musky and smelled like BO on me :thud: -- ha. O was better, but still too much musky-sweaty smell.

This is perfect! Light with decent throw, sweet, hint of a clean linen smell, floral, and a hint of musk -- not drowning in it. This is elegant sexy, not "6am Walk of shame," sexy. haha. No offense to those who love the other scents. They are great ... just not on me.

Just when you think that you know what you do and don't like... BAM! You find a new treasure. THIS is why I love BPAL.

I think I MUST HAVE a bottle of this. But for now, I have two imps full. :D :joy:

This was a frimp from the lab :wub2:

It has been sitting in a cabinet for a few months now and today I decided to try it.

First impressions are that it has honey in it. I get the comparisons to O and maybe even Womb Furie at the beginning. It's like honey and incense, so far so good.

After a 15-20 minutes I can smell the Myrrh more, (myrrh is a note that is iffy on me), in La Petite Mort it seems to be behaving itself although every now and then when I catch a whiff of my wrist it reminds me of a church :think: . I used to go to a Catholic school and we had to attend church regularly and this scent is kind of reminding of whatever they burn in certain masses (could be myrrh or frankincense or both).

Overall, very nice - a sweet, honeyish incense. The Myrrh didn't take over but it seems like it has the potential to turn powdery. I don't get anything overly sexy from this like other people have mentioned (that could just be from the church association though). I will keep the imp and see how it ages, I think that this could really grow on me

Edited to add: The longer I wear this the more Myrrh takes over. I wish it stayed that nice honey incense which I got at first.

Edited by becca_s

You know, I like this. Uncomplicated, incensey and sensual. The myrrh really stands head and shoulders above the rest. It’s not soft or sinuous, just sexy in a straight-forward, honest way, if that makes the slightest bit of sense. La Petite Mort is easy to wear and lasts a long time on anything that doesn’t get washed—I could smell it on the cuff of my coatsleeve for two days afterwards, which was impressive. I just… like it, a lot! :D

Feb 2013 EDIT: I, um, am apparently not such a fan of aged La Petite. It's just sort of powdery and... perfumey? And kind of stale, almost. Urf. Swapbox it is.

Edited by bellumed

I wasn't originally very keen on the wet stage of this, so much so that I keep putting it in my swap pile - and then a couple of hours later, fishing it out again. I love it as it dries. Now that I've got to know that, I find the early stage more appealing too - but still only really kind of tolerable. It's a bit too.... direct, overt, for me, even though others have found it subtle and some scents I love aren't subtle at all - eg Bloodlust. Odd - but this just feels as though I'm talking in somebody else's voice, or using words I would never use, at first. Later it's much more me.

Edited a few weeks later: now i just love it! I find it sweetly smokey. I would only wear it while alone or with someone I was strongly attracted to though - not with strangers or family (I mean in-laws etc, you know). It's become one of those scents that expresses a version of me.

Edited by Quillifer

In the bottle: What is that? No idea.

Wet: Still don't know what I'm smelling. I know what is should smell like, but it doesn't smell like myrrh and ylang ylang. Not really liking this one very much.

Drydown: Wait... WAIT! This is niiiice. I'm getting the myrrh but, I don't know what ylang ylang turns into on my skin. The song "Girls Like You" by The Naked and Famous comes to mind. Wow, I am SO GOOD at explaining things today. :lol:

Overall, very nice, but I don't think that I'll be using more than an imps worth of her, as she turns into something too close to others that I like more.

3.5/5

sweet, incensey myrrh, powder & honey. a very warm, comforting scent. i don't get the "skin after looove" scent, unless you all roll around in powder & incense after the deed ;), but it IS beautiful, and though i am so grateful i was gifted the chance to try it, i desperately wish there had been more than just a drop in the imp i received! i would definitely like to try this one again. :)

Perfect description to this oil. Lovely, heady, relaxing, sexy floral balanced out with the myrhh. Turns a touch powdery, but to me, this only adds to it's magic. I imagine this being used as a seduction oil on a hot summer, humid evening. Very nice!