Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Juliet

Sweet pea with stargazer lily, calla lily, heliotrope, honeysuckle, white musk and a touch of fresh pear.

Sweet pea and honeysuckle leap out of the bottle, and are quickly joined by the splash of pear. The white musk and heliotrope really anchor this scent, which is so light and feminine with all the white flowers, and keep it from having that soapy note that sometimes sneaks into fragrances with all those florals.

The stargazer lily is least identifiable to my nose, but the calla is definitely there as the drydown continues.

Sweet, but not without backbone. Classically romantic and feminine.

While not originally on my list of essential samples to try, it as added as a freebie. Thank you, Katherine!

wet ~ My first thought was whether they'd given me two vials of Embalming Fluid. Strongly citrusy when a biting undertone.

drying ~ Powdery, almost classically perfumey, but ... as with Embalming Fluid, the Lemon Pledge connection. I'd think I have a fixation, except that it's a much stronger association with this oil. Juliet is much more pronounced and determined; it's also not as musky. This oil reminds me of some of the chemical tangs I've experienced with mundane perfume, but it's only a reminder.

dry ~ It tones down towards the feeling of having used a perfume marketed for little girls.

final thoughts ~ This one isn't for me, as it didn't continue to tone down into anything I found pleasant. If Embalming Fluid is too wussy for you, try Juliet.

Edited by byrdie

This one reminded me of a lighter version of Phantom Queen. It's not quite as heavy on the musk, however. On me the pear tends to overshadow everything else. I detect a slight hint of floral, but that's it. Really nice, feminine scent. I'd group it into the same category as Maiden. Reserve it for days when you want to remind the whole world that you're that sweet girl next door---in the shadows but not to be ignored.

The first thing I thought when I smelled this was "whoa, flowers!" its definatly floral on me, the pear seems to have gone into hiding, but I still quite like it. after about an hour all I though it smelled like is laundry detergent. now, about 5 hours later, its less detergent-ey and more soft, powdery floral. I'd call it a clean fresh scent. Still a bit detergenty, but I like it. It'll be my clean scent.

For the first half hour or so: Flowers! Lots and lots of white-smelling sweet flowers. I really don't like the smell of stargazer lilies (the actual flowers give me awful headaches, though this oil did not), and the whole thing smelled just too sweet.

And then when it dried down.... well, I've smelled like Ivory soap all day. I guess that makes me 99.44% pure. As if ;-)

This is great for clean scent/white flower lovers... I'm a more resiny girl myself.

Out of the vial: Very flowery, but clean smelling

Wet: Still very flowery, but now I can smell the white musk. I don't detect the pear or stargazer lily at all. Pity!

Dry: A very clean, crisp scent, but I have to agree with Becky---it kinda smells like laundry detergent!

I'll have to give it another try before I make a final decision on whether to swap it.

This one brought memories of being a teenager.

I used to use a special facial soap from Israel to combat acne. The soap smelled EXACTLY like Julliet, very very soft and floral.

Somehow there is a bit of smell from the sea in there, a rocky coast with wet rotting salty seaweed. Maybe it's a false associaltion because the Israelien soap contained dead sea mud...

Cannot detect any pear.

It's a keeper for sure

I love Juliet even though I have to reapply this delicate scent often. It's all lilies and innocence...last year I saw the Mediaeval Baebes and was in the front row, and I noticed that they all seemed to be wearing the same lily-of-the-valley scent because it fairly wafted from the stage, and didn't really remember till I opened my imp's ear of Juliet. Anyway, seeing them live was totally cool, and Juliet reminds me of the experience. Although the Baebes are earthy and sexy and it was a little surreal that they smelled like delicate white flowers...

Anyway...even for those of you that wouldn't have memories awakened by this, it's a beautiful and delicate floral that maintains just a hint of sweet-tartness, like the character herself.

[changed the color because Chartreuse made my eyes bleed, and i doubt i'm the only one ~qs]

Edited by quantum spice

This was an extra thrown in to a swap, and I'm delighted that I received it. It was on my list to try anyway .. and now .. I know why.

In the bottle: Honeysuckle just leaps out at me when I open the imp, and then I catch a whiff of the sweet-pea .. which I have to say is one of my favorite scents. I have soaps with sweet-pea .. even deoderant, i love it so much. So I'm very pleased that it seems so strong in Juliet.

Wet: Oooh .. flowers! The lilies I think peek through after a short time on, though for a moment, the honeysuckle is incredibly strong. It's nice though, like being in a maiden's garden, just into the spring, when everything is fresh still, and the flowers aren't over-ripe.

Wearing: This is most certainly a floral scent. It can't help but be. I haven't even goten a bit of the musk, as I was expecting since musks tend to glom onto me and overpower a lot of things. No, this makes me picture a woman on a swing, with flower petals shaking loose in a breeze and fluttering around her like butterflies. This is the scent I imagine hummingbirds are after when they flit about. It's delicate and airy with just enough of the musk to sort-of ground it.

All the descriptions are so unique here... sorry if I will sound childish with mine, for this is my first order. This scent is soooo beautiful. When I first opened it, I was surrounded by beautiful flowers, I dont know what smells like what, but all i know is that this smelled incredible. It was very strong at first, then it muted down a bit. I have had it on for about 3 hours, and it has faded, but left a soft sweet scent behind. Very femenine, and I think it will be nice for the summer months.

I don't if any of you have smelled the perfume oil "Child" but this has a lot of the same qualities. Add just a few more flowers to child and that is what I get on my skin.

I do get a fairly strong honeysuckle smell. However, there is something almost tropical and suntanny to this on me. Not that it smells like suntan lotion, but it smells like your backyard as a child, laying out with coppertone with all of your mother's flowers around you. It reminds me of running away from bees =). I think this oil will fill the nitch that I was missing, which is a light summertime perfume I can wear in the daytime without being too strong.

All that being said, I really like this. It is soft, has reasonable staying power and does really great things on my skin. Add this to the list of things I need to buy a big bottle of that Beth sent me for free.

I get all sweet pea, lily and musk in this one. To my nose this is a gorgeous fruity/flowery combination. Sweet but not cloying and very very feminine. It would be a great compliment to sweet pea B&BW lotion. this would be great for a young girl but not too childish for an adult to wear. I wouldnt expect this on my mother, but im 25 and feel totally comfortable wearing this to work as an everyday scent. Im definately goign to keep my imp and use it up and may order another imp but i doubt i will purchase a big bottle.

Body chemistry is a very funny thing. On me, this oil is very different from what is described in all the previous reviews. It is also sheer alchemical magic, melding with my flesh to create an incredible olafactory experience, and establishing itself firmly as my new favorite.

In the beginning, it's all floral, tenderly sweetened by the pear. Like a couple of people have said, it smells like a classic couture perfume, almost as though it has aldehydes in it. But you know what? I like aldehydes. They generally get a bad rap among perfume oil fans, who dislike such modern, alcoholic notes. But I loves my Chanel nearly as much as my BPAL, and in Juliet I have found the bridge. Initially, it reminds me of Anais Anais, but as the day wears on, the musk deepens, intensifies, and becomes more and more buttery, animal, sexual. Juliet loses her virginity. It moves from Anais Anais to Joy de Jean Patou, only much, much, much better, lacking the acrid tang that Joy can have. It's deep, complex, classy and sexual in a powerful yet subtle way, not a trampy way. A little like Wanda, but not so controlling. Able to submit as well as dominate. I was worried this scent might be too "young" for me, all breathless teenager, but it reminded me that, like Juliet herself, I was a very self-possessed, sexual young woman at 15. Besides being a young women who discovers and immediately takes control of her own sexuality (as opposed to Ophelia who is utterly undone by it), this scent reminds me that Juliet is an intelligent, educated young noblewoman. Classy, smart, sexual, in love, and very determined to make her life go the way *she* wants. As with Desdemona and Katherina, Beth has captured all of the complexity that Shakespeare built into this character, which most people miss.

12 hours later, this is mostly stargazer lily and rich, buttery musk, but the other notes are still in there supporting them and it's all still going strong. Even after dance class, where it was mostly musk. Juliet and I are a match made in heaven.

First Impression: Juliet is a dreamy pink floral.

Second Impression: At first I thought that this was a light pink floral all the way, but after it dries a bit, I got a touch of green...fresh dewy grasses and green stems. I love all the elements of this scent and they flow together magically.

Final Analysis: This is similar to Endymion and Viola but I can't decide which I like best. I must order a white and pink floral bottle, but with these three and Queen of Hearts, I just can't choose!

Sweet pea and honeysuckle and lily come out as predominant on me, the pear never really makes an appearance. A light, pretty floral but it's not doing much for me in way of actual staying power or noticability. It's very very sweet and delicate, very much like Juliet I suppose. Just like I wish many of Shakespeare's heroines had a little more oomph, I wish this scent did as well. It's an innocent, charming smell, but not me. Off to swaps.

Yes I'd have to agree with other reviewers, this is so pink and delicate its crazy finding this in the labs repetoir of compositions.

Saying that, there are times sometimes you want to be a little girly, the florals in this compose and conspire against me to not let the pear out. Its very adorable as a scent and definitely will be on my "order a big bottle list" if I ever find I need that girliness more.

^^!

This was a freebie in my last order.

In the Bottle: Juliet is all sweetpea and pear, with a touch of my favorite flowe, stargazer lily. Its actually a lot stronger than I thought it would be, but it is definately a PINK scent.

On Me: This is a dry oil, if you can believe it. It doesn't remain slick as I rub my wrists together.

Oh my! The smell is just intoxicating, honeysuckle and lilies, with a hint of pear. Its sweet, a head rush of sweet florals, an intensely feminine scent that is a LOT stronger than I thought that it was going to be. I have to say, no one does floral scents like BPAL. A regular purfume like this would turn my stomach.

I expected that Juliet would be a sort of sorrowful scent, but this is more of a celebration of youth and feminity. If i would equate this to any particular part in the play, it would be the Ball.

This is certainly a larger bottle in the future.

Does anyone else remember that perfume "White Shoulders"? Because when I opened this imp, that was all I could think of! It was my mother's favourite perfume for many years (my grandmother's, too, I believe), and I used to play with it when I was little--Juliet definitely conjures up youth and childhood for me.

It's almost the same on my skin as it is in the bottle: very perfume-y and floral, and for some reason, I love it. None of the moldy musk problems I've been having, either!

When it dries, the perfume dies down and lets the florals take over. Very strong lily and honeysuckle notes. I adore honeysuckle. Also, something about it reminded me of lily-of-the-valley, another favourite of mine.

As the day wore on--and the dabs on my wrists wore off--there was a bit of a baby powder scent, but where I'd slathered it on my neckline, it retained a heady, almost womanly, aroma. Very interesting dichotomy, not too different from Juliet herself.

(And it got an "Ooh, that's nice!" from a Member of the Opposite Sex, which is always welcome :P)

This isn't something I'd wear every day, but it's perfect for special occasions and certain moods. Might have to put this on my 5ml wishlist...

Edited by briteyes

juliet

at first: really nice. very white. i smell lily and heliotrope.

on: sweet pea and something else that is more soapy. nice and innocent.

1 hour later: fresher and lighter. nice. sweet pea and something else, but not the soapy note from when i first applied it.

4 hours later: sweeter now, like a drop of honey has been added. this is really pretty.

8 hours later: still there, surprisingly. i really thought this one would disappear. it's still slightly sweet, but dusty.

overall: i really like this. all in all, it's a very gentle scent that somehow manages to last a long time. i'm not sure i will end up getting a bottle, but i'll enjoy using my imp.

Juliet was recommended to me as a clean-smelling floral scent. It indeed starts out that way, with the musk providing a touch of depth and the pear a touch of sweetness. From this promising start, however, it morphed into a soapy scent with a strange artificial note. Too bad, because the initial fragrance was very beautiful.

Juliet is such a gentle, fragile scent. On my skin, the sweet pea dominates, and the musk provides it with a bit of base. Unfortunately this turns soapy on me. It would be a great scent for someone who loves light and bright florals.

This scent unfortunely smells like dish soap on me... it smelled light and floral in the bottle, and a bit when I put it on... but it's only been on about 5 minutes, and it's very, very soapy :P

Juliet is...pink on me. This is bad, as I HATE pink. It*s a nice floral, and I kinda like it, but it doesn*t scream my name, and the pinkness of it is getting to me. Sorry Juli, maybe another time...probably after I have a daughter :P It *is* a very young-girl scent.

In the Bottle I am getting sweet pea right off the bat. It is an earthy sweetness.

Wet Sugary, sparkly, sweet. Sweet pea and honeysuckle with heliotrope and musk mingling inbetween. Girly and giggly, light and fun. It's clean without being soapy. Perfect scent for a young girl.

Drydown The musk has become slightly more prominent, and I can smell the lillies now. This is a nice scent to put a smile on your face. It has put me into such a relaxed and feminine state of mind. I am really enjoying this one.

Two Hours Later Has faded into a fainter scent. The pear has now made it's appearence. It reminds me of Love's Baby Soft. I am having flashbacks of my barbie collection :P I love the innocent nature of this one. A good scent to wear on Monday after a paticuarly naughty weekend. :D

Verdict This has made it's way to the top of my list. I really like Juliet.

Edited by etherealchild

In bottle: There is a lot of lily and sweet pea here. No pear. It smells very soapy to me.

On me: I don't know the difference between stargazer lily and calla lily, but either way there's SO MUCH lily here. It's overwhelming. The honeysuckle is strong, too. It's very feminine in a traditional floral way. This fragrance is an excellent memorial for the passions of youth - it's what my grandmother would wear when she wants to feel young again.