Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Juliet

Sweet pea with stargazer lily, calla lily, heliotrope, honeysuckle, white musk and a touch of fresh pear.

As with most of the BPAL floral blends containing lily, I love this. I think the white musk helps to anchor the scent, and makes it last beyond the typical light floral. I don't detect the pear, which is just as well as fruit notes usually don't agree with me.

On me the lily is the predominant note, creamy, clean and fresh. It doesn't have much throw, but I am impressed with the staying power. I can still smell it close to my skin after 5 hours. I hope the bottle I order is as light on the pear as my imp.

I always seem to be in the minority with my love of Beth's lighter florals, but damn, she does them well. Much better than these types of blends by the mainstream makers. I often choose to wear fresh florals and less-sexy blends for daytime, and I'm glad BPAL offers them. Doesn't smell like any drugstore perfume I've ever smelled!

Edit: Juliet is tenacious. I get light whiffs of it around the house, from things I have touched while wearing it, for days afterward. It doesn't seem to last on my skin, but lingers for-freakin'-ever on fabrics. Edited by LyndaM

In the vial, I could smell the pear, but on my skin, it was all sweat pea and honeysuckle. Its a very pretty scent, but not something I would normally wear. I imagine someone who liked light florals would really enjoy this.

I swapped for this as an experiment. After an unfortunate episode with Desdemona which went plasticy, I wanted to try another scent with sweet pea in it, to see if I might want to order Annabel Lee. Unfrtunately Juliet went plastic also, so I think it is confirmed that me+sweet pea=bad. Juliet would not have been a favoutie in any case because me+white musk=bad too. Sigh, well at least I can still wear rose.

I so wanted to love this... but it smelled like plastic on me. I wish I knew why.... maybe it was the stargazer lily...

Off to swap I guess...

A frimp with my order of Beaver Moon! This smells lovely and faintly fruity-floral. On me it all but vanishes within 2-3 hours, but it's a very pretty floral while it does last. I can't pick out individual notes but the boyfriend loves this one.

Imp: sweet, instant bit of forehead pressure, strong.

Wet: ditto, but with more depth and even more throw.

Drydown: it's amazing sniffing these similar flowers and catching differences emerging here and there. It's morphing into something I can't quite place, though... maybe the scented markers I got to play with at a friend's house as a kid? The forehead pressure is still present, but fading.

Worn: I can feel it in a cloud around me; I'm a little hesitant to leave it on, but I'll give it a shot. I halfway think I can taste it, metallic/perfumey, on the tip of my tongue. After a while I realize it's really like the plasticky scented, molded erasers that didn't do a good job erasing but looked cool. However, if I sniff further away from my wrists, the resemblance is less prominent. Either way, though, I can't smell the individual flowers the way I could earlier; this bouquet's been through a blender and poured into a plastic bag.

Conclusions: I'd been hesitant about the description's lilies and unalloyed sweetness, but I appreciate the Lab's work and it's always great to get to sample new things, so I had to try the frimp. I wish I knew which were the notes that aren't agreeing with my skin (possibly the top notes?) and will have to try it again later on in the month. Juliet would probably be nice to wear for working outside in the springtime, or even as a room scent to minimize morphing.

Juliet: Sweet florals. The honeysuckle and pear shine at this point.

On: stronger and almost sour.

Dry: very heavy and rich. Unfortunately, something in this went very sour on me after a short time, I suspect the heliotrope or maybe the sweet pea. Sigh.

Juliet is a young, hopeless romantic spring/summer scent. The pear is there in the imp and at first on, but recedes more and more as it dries. I think that the lilies, heliotrope and white musk may be overpowering not only the pear but the honeysuckle as well, which is too bad... oh a bit of ache in my forehead now..

First Impression: Flowers and fruit (yuzu? pear?).

Dries down to: Carnation?, rose?, lilac? - can't distinguish any particular note, they're so well blended.

Additional Comments: Gorgeous. Another scent (like Bearded Lady) with stargazer lily and honeysuckle in it that works wonderfully on me. Have to add stargazer lily and honeysuckle to my "holy grail" notes. Sweet pea, white musk and pear are also favorites of mine. This is one of the nicest florals on me.

Lasted: A few hours.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

i tend to think of sweet pea as a light, somewhat faint note. the sweet pea in juliet, however, is anything but! it pretty much takes over the scent, and only the lily can stand any chance against it. so what i get is pretty much straight up sweet pea and lily, with lots of throw!

it's pretty, but i wish i got some pear and musk :P

In the imp:

Very floral and clean.

Freshly applied:

Same as the imp... floral and clean, light.

Dry:

This is possibly the most beautiful scent I've ever smelled... the flowers have gone from "general floral" to individually beautiful. The sweet pea is clearly evident, as is each of the other flowers. I can't detect a musky smell at all (perhaps white musk is very subtle?) and the pear may be there but is not clear as a single note.

I LOVE this one. :P

Oh, I love this scent! And to think that I'd been hesitant to try it for so long..worried about the sweet pea and pear being too strong. But now that I have it in my grasp, I don't get any pear at all (which is a relief to me!). I definetly smell the sweet pea, but it is tamed by the honeysuckle, lilies, and musk. All the notes swirl so perfectly together to create a lovely, ultra-feminine, pink floral scent that really embodies the spirit of the character Juliet. What's more, it has a really nice throw and staying power. I am so happy and in love with this scent! :P

In the imp: Sweet pea. Clean smelling floral.

Wet on me: Reminds me of Annabel Lee, only more sweet and creamy.

Drydown: I think the fruity sweetness of the pear makes this a happier scent than melancholy-filled Annabel Lee. Very feminine.

Verdict: I love Annabel Lee and I'm loving Juliet too. I'm so glad to find a possible replacement for AL in case I run out (before BPAL decides to revive AL :hint, hint: :P ).

Edited by mandragora

In the bottle: Sweet and a little dark, with just a tad of spice. I don’t know most of the scents but I think I can smell the honeysuckle, and no musk.

On me: Sweet and almost cloying, but not in a bad way. I can definitely smell the honeysuckle, and what I think is the lilies, though I don’t really know what lilies smell like. Still no musk, which pleases me. It’s drying quickly and becoming lighter and more powdery. A flower all white and pale pink, with just a touch of dark, sexual pink in the inner petals. I was afraid this would be all musk like Fae, but I can’t smell the musk at all.

A couple of hours later: Fades to an eye-watering powdery scent, then disappears. If it weren’t for White Rabbit, I’d think my skin just ate BPAL.

I had a review of this all written out, and then the forum crash ate it, so here's Juliet, Redux, in severely shortened form (since I've already swapped it away.)

Sweet pea is the dominant note, giving this whole blend a slightly lotion-y feel. The pear adds a lovely fruity touch, the musk is very sparkly, and the florals, while a little powdery, are quite nice. This is very femme, fresh, and springy, but it's just not my bag of bones.

The sweet pea was the strongest note on my skin, but there was also a fruity after-throw that must have been the pear. For some reason, I got kind of a "tanning lotion" vibe from this, which usually happens when there is coconut in the blend, but in this case I'm not quite sure what did that.

In Bottle: Sweet pea and fruit

On Skin: Oh my god. Pinch me, I’m dreaming. This scent is GORGEOUS!!! I am a sucker for anything with pear in it, my favorite fruit. Mixed with the Sweet Pea, lilies, and heliotrope it is super sweet, I love it, it’s like candy. The white musk gives it a nice soft velvet texture, and the honeysuckle continues to make it even sweeter. I can’t believe I haven’t tried this scent before! It is 10ml worthy for sure. It is so girly with sweetness, but the lilies also add an elegant womanly flair. I do wish the pear was stronger, the florals do overshadow it and it is just a whisper in the background. This is a warm and springlike scent, it instantly brightens my mood. I can’t imagine not being happy when smelling this. It has a white/pink feel to it, but more diffused, not super bright light. It kind of has a “bath and Body Works feel to it, since it is so sweet and floral, but not that artifical note BB&W often has. It also has a very *slight* similarity to Love’s Baby Soft… not so much it’s overall scent, but just that feeling of soft and girly musk.

Rating (on skin): 0/5

Summarised in a word or two: Calla lily.

Preconceived notions: Based on the description, I think the sweet pea's going to spell DOOM for me, as that note always does. The musk and pear might be interesting, though.

In the imp: Calla lily! I know this note because I smelled it in Seraphim, and it's... soapy and horrible on me.

On skin, wet: Calla lily, and nothing but. All this time, I thought it'd been sweet pea that loathed me so, but as it appears, it's actually calla lily.

On skin, dry: A hint or two of musk and pear beneath the lilu, but only just, and fleeting. The lily asserted its dominance early, and the other notes ever stood a chance.

Conclusion: Calla lily tormented my skin in Seraphim and lo! it does the same thing in Juliet. Calla lily = bad. I'm not sure if the sweet pea in this is bad or good, as I couldn't discern anything beneath the lily.

Edited by Aredhel

This was a frimp from the Lab. I couldn't even wear it, let alone smell it. It's like lily and honeysuckle explosion. :P The one good thing was it confirmed what I can't wear.

Wet on skin: Juliet was a bouquet of flowers, well-blended so none really dominated, but I could most easily identify lilies and sweet pea with the pear lightly adding some sweet juice.

Initial Dry Still sweet flowers, with light musk underneath. The florals/musk is nice, a bit more of a 'good girl' scent than I've tried before. Nothing forward or brazen, just sweet florals and that light musk.

Later Flowers are settled down more, allowing more room for the musk to develop. I don't find the white musk to become as sexy as the darker musks on my skin, but I can still smell it in the background, though much more restrained than I'd normally choose.

The Verdict: A keeper, I think. I can see using this during the day in the spring/summer while visiting family, where I don't want to smell all sexxified. :P

ETA: After another test run I realized that this is the first BPAL that gives me headaches. I thought it was only a coincidence the first time. :D

Edited by bookishgrrl

Maybe the old sniffer is failing me, because I'm getting Black Jelly Beans.

Could the honeysuckle be out to challege me?!

On a later inspection - the honeysuckle is tricking my nose, but the candy sweetness is still present.

in the imp all i could smell really was the pear, which was good, because it smelled yum! on my skin the lilies really started to fight for attention, yet again, good, because i like lilies, after a while though, they calmed down and let the honeysuckle come out and the pear made another appearance. all in all, i really enjoyed all aspects of this fragrance, it's very light and sweet and pretty, definately the sort of thing i normally go for, i think i'll be buying a bottle of this. it has a decent throw too, i could smell it all day (i applied it to my wrists, neck and in between my breasts) and even now, after 8 hours or so, i can still smell it

In the bottle: Pear!!! And I can smell the musk, and the florals aren't overpowering.

On: The florals exploded! Bright and sharp. I'm not a floral gal, but I hoped the musk and pear would calm them down.

Drydown: It's morphed, and I can smell the honeysuckle a bit, and the pear. Still too floral for me, though. I know someone who would like my imp.... :P

ETA: Oh, and I'm allergic to it, too! Can't stop sneezing. I washed my wrists twice, and it's still there!

Edited by Melantha

In the imp, I smell sweet florals and pear, but there's a flower in here that my skin doesn't like -- maybe heliotrope? -- so Juliet just becomes an overly sweet white musk. It turns into floral plastic after a few minutes.

I'm kind of sad about this one; I was looking forward to it. Oh well. The skin hates what the skin hates.

After trying Fae, with heliotrope/white musk combo, and thinking that I had died and gone to heaven, I had to try Juliet. I love honeysuckle (I have some tattooed on my shoulder, even...) but I haven't found a BPAL honeysuckle that was "me".

Juliet, you are my tender flower...

Wet, she is creamy lilies, fresh, light and alive. I get a "Mmmmm, you smell goooood" from the DH, who is no flower fan. 10 minutes later someone around me asks if there is honeysuckle blooming around my house (there isn't!). They have fallen under Juliet's spell.

Dry, this is the glorious heliotrope (a light, fresh, vanilla type scent) with the sweet, clean baby laundry scent of white musk. The pear emerges here, for me, like the ripe fruit should smell, right up close to my nose. It is not at all fake or cloying (I am thinking B&B type...it is NOT!!!).

She is sister to Fae and Alice. Juliet is light, clean, fresh, and slightly fruity, with a tragic edge. I love it!

On the big bottle list for sure!