Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Juliet

Sweet pea with stargazer lily, calla lily, heliotrope, honeysuckle, white musk and a touch of fresh pear.

: sighs: Heliotrope. Honeysuckle. Sweet Pea. Calla Lily. Several of my favorite flowers and favorite floral scents. Pear is one of my favorite fruits. I choose to blame the white musk again, because this is soap on me, and in the imp.

Not "soapy" as in a little soapy smelling, or a little artificial smelling. This smells like a brick of Ivory soap. The kind we used to carve in Girl Scouts.

In the bottle: sweet pea, a little fruity, other florals

Wet: Sweet pea and other florals. It’s warm, but it’s quite soapy. I think I recognize the heliotrope note from Lolita. I think it might be the white florals that are pushing it into soapy land. I can smell the musk coming out now, but I don’t get the pear at all so far. The sweet pea gets buried under everything else. The honeysuckle is sweetening it a little, but still soapy. It’s just soap with a bit of musk. This is disappointing. I was hoping to like this one.

Dry: Still soapy. Like, a bar of Dove soap. It’s just soap. After 30 minutes, the musk warms it up and brings it back to warm slightly-soapy musky honeysuckle, and it’s suddenly very very light.

It’s not like it smells bad, but it’s really not what I was hoping for.

In the imp: Slightly sweet floral. I think I'm smelling a sweeter rose, but there isn't rose listed in the is scent.

Wet on skin: Pretty much the same as the imp. except this blend gets a little sweeter and juicer ... that must be the pear coming thru. Very nice.

Drydown: Hum, this ends up slightly powdery. Not overwhelming so, but enough for me to think of soap, but it's not bad. The florals are dying down and the scent seems to becoming lighter.

Although the wet stage is quite nice, the dry down, at least on my skin, is a little lackluster. It becomes a little dry and slightly soapy with a background of sweet florals. It's a pretty and feminine scent and not overpowering. Give this a go if you like lighter florals.

In the imp: Musky, fruity florals! It's hard to pick the florals out individually, but I can juuuust spot the sweet pea & honeysuckle. The pear is quite easy to find though.

Wet on skin: The lilies are the first to show up here, but the honeysuckle, sweet pea & what I assume must be the heliotrope aren't too far behind. The musk is working as a soft coating over everything, blurring the flowers all together. There's a hint of pear in the background, but only if you're looking for it. It's a very light & sweet scent.

Dry on skin: Very soft & sweet flowers! Again, the sweet pea & honeysuckle are easiest for me to spot, but there's lillies & heliotrope in the background. The musk isn't really it's own note here, it's still just softening the flowers. Likewise, the pear doesn't seem to be standing alone either, it's very light & blended in with the flowers... like a few slices of pear floating in a vase of flowers, rather than a whole pear seperate from them. Very clean, fresh & lovely.

After a few hours: The pear is a little more noticeable now, but it's still blended with the flowers. Very pretty & sweet. For such a light scent, it lasts pretty well!

Verdict: I love this one & I suspect that I'll be buying a bottle of it when my imp runs out!

Wet, this is SO lovely--lilies and heliotrope sometimes go haywire on me, but I truly hope it will not be the case here. A pretty, bright and sweet floral. White, but not cloying.

EDIT: This dries off to a creamy, slightly spiced floral (carnation-like to my nose). Very pretty still, similar to what I imagine Alice smells like on many.

Edited by delighted

Granted, my nose isn't very educated, but I couldn't detect sweet pea or honeysuckle, notes that I love. I couldn't detect anything in particular- it just smelled cheap, synthetic, and horrid.

In the imp: It's difficult to pinpoint the notes in this, but the sweet pea, lily, and musk notes jump out at me the most in the imp.

Wet: The lilies reign. The pear note adds a bit of sweetness. I love the Lab's honeysuckle note, but alas, it's not one of the main players in this blend. Sadly, the sweet pea note isn't very prominent on my skin, either, and those were the floral notes to which I was most looking forward. The pear note begins to emerge more as the scent starts to dry.

Dry: This is still a lily dominant scent, but I'm getting more sweet pea and pear in this stage.

Verdict: It's pleasant, but I don't need more of it. There are other lily dominant scents (such as Tiger Lily, which was discontinued from the Mad Tea Party line) that I enjoy more.

Bottle: White lily and musk soap.

Wet: O soapiest of scents I have tried! It's also a pretty white floral and musk. I don't pick out heliotrope and I don't know sweet pea, but I can get faint honeysuckle and pear. I'm not sure where the soapiness is coming from. When I smell this, I feel like an unpalatable film of white soap has coated my mouth, even though my mouth isn't involved. It seems this Juliet is tragically clean.

Dry: On me, honeysuckle and musk gain strength as this dries. The soapiness subsides, so I guess that was associated with a top note. Still... the rest fades quickly.

This is a nay.

In the imp: Soapy! Which makes sense, I’ve avoided this until now because sweet pea can go soapy on me. My interest in a honeysuckle scent outweighed the worry though!

Wet: Yes, that’s a bit soapy indeed! It’s not the “oh I can taste this in the back of my throat” soapy that I get from some other notes, though (peony, anything vaguely lemony).

After that, though, it’s a beautiful clean, green floral. I get mostly lilies with a “clean” hint of sweet pea, and the heliotrope tempering the soapiness of sweet pea with its vanillic qualities. I don’t get much pear, unless the pear is lending the “green” note I’m getting here - in other words, it’s not a sweet or syrupy pear.

It is a little green and "clean" smelling but mostly just pretty, and it's clean in a nice way that I think will wear well in hot weather! It’s not the honeysuckle scent of my dreams, but it’s quite pretty and I’m glad I gave it a chance.

Wet: sweet, almost candy-like pear. Lily (aka wet cardboard, on me). Not pleasant thus far.

Dry: Once the lily settles, it's quite nice for a bit, but fades really quickly to just a faint pear scent. Not really for me, but it has it's charm, for sure.

This is definitely soapy, but sweet soapy, like a laundry detergent with way too much scent added. It feels soft but also somehow heavy, maybe because of all those flowers. Maybe it's the blend, but they smell artificial to me instead of like real, living flowers. This is especially sad because there are few things I like smelling more in the world than sweet peas in the summer--they absolutely cover several fields near where I live, so I'm very familiar with the scent. This is not it. I do get something like pear skin, which is lovely, but the rest of it can't seem to get out of soapville even once it settles.

Edited by lizabelle

Lily? and honeysuckle in the bottle. Goes on as a generalized floral with touches of pear. The honeysuckle returns, paired with sweet pea, and as it dries the sweet pea becomes more pronounced and then sadly powdery and soapy. "A bar of soap" is a good summary, as others have noted.

This is what I thought RPG Good would smell like: innocent. While this is a pretty, nondescript floral, I think people forget that Juliet was the stronger of the two star-crossed lovers. She moved a good chunk of the action forward. She decided to take the fake poison, and then when Romeo died she briskly stabbed herself and didn't take all day wibbling about it. I'm sad that there's nothing to represent that fierceness here.

Imp fresh from the Lab. The oil is clear and a very pale greenish-yellow, almost colorless.

In the imp: I'm not liking this so much so far.  All those beautiful flower notes in the list, and all I smell is hard candy.  That must be the pear, but it doesn't smell like a real, fresh pear, which I would love.  It smells like candy.  After more sniffing, I do turn up an undertone of realistic fresh flower petals, though.  You know that somewhat bitter edge some lilies have?  Like citrus leaves.  I do love that part.  

On me, wet: The same.

At 5 minutes: Ah, that's more like it.  Gorgeous flowers sweetened with a little pear.  I really like it a lot now.  The pear is still more like hard candy than a fresh juicy pear, though.  I can't identify any specific kind of flower except maybe some honeysuckle, but I'm not even sure about that.

At 10 minutes: I think I'm mainly smelling the sweet pea now, because it smells less like honeysuckle or lilies. There's still plenty of fruity candy.  And something that reminds me of Ivory Soap. Those miniature wrapped bars you used to find at budget hotel sinks.

At 20 minutes: Ivory Soap but with an additional sharp, bright, sweet edge. And mixed white florals.  It is a light, clean, cooling kind of scent that would be perfect for warm weather.  Pretty.  But after the first ten minutes or so, not as realistically floral as I had hoped.

At 45 minutes: Much the same, a little soapier and less sweet.  But there's still the white florals and a little fruit candy.  It captures the youth and purity of Juliet perfectly.  But her passion, not so much.

At 1 hour: I'm surprised that the pear is lasting so long. I expected it to be a brief top note.  But if anything, it is slightly more assertive as the competing notes fade. And it's also less candy-like and closer to a real pear.  It doesn't quite achieve that, though.  The musk is coming in more clearly, and is a nice touch to balance the sweetness.  These are subtle changes - the scent is pretty consistent.

At 1 1/2 hours:  The throw is pretty much the same, but close to the skin there has been a more definite change. It has lost almost all of the sweetness and most of the fruity candy.  Now it is musk with some vague white florals.  The Ivory soap is still there, apparently having settled in for good.  That's okay.  I don't mind smelling like I just stepped out of the shower!

At 2 1/2 hours:  Still the same consistent scent in the throw, including some sweetness.  Up close, mostly musk with the vague florals, only lighter.  And the Ivory Soap is gone.

At 3 1/2 hours:  Something very strange and rather wonderful has happened.  The scent on my wrist suddenly transformed into 100% single note honey.  I swear to Goddess.  It is the Lab's honey note, as clear as can be - and which I adore.  It must be the honey in the honeysuckle, but there was no trace of it earlier, and now there is no trace of anything floral. However it happened, I'm down with this!

At 6 1/2 hours:  Much fainter now, but still very vivid: all honey, all of the time.

At 14 hours:  There is still a lingering trace of honey.  Wow, I certainly didn"t expect that kind of longevity from this light scent!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Predominant Notes:  Lily, sweet pea and honeysuckle. Ivory Soap.  Honey, in late drydown.

Character: Soapy, clean, pure, sweet.  White florals with an accent of fruity hard candy.

5 out of 6 stars.  It was only 4 stars before the honey made a surprise appearance.  That made it so much more interesting and complex.

Edited by Ghost of a Rose

In the imp: Sweet florals, white musk, and more sweet florals. 

On my skin:

Wet, the sweet pea shows up first. As it dries, lily, pear, and white musk all become detectable as well. At this point, sweet pea might be the most in the foreground, but not by an overwhelming amount. The scent is reasonably well balanced overall. 

About a half hour in, the pear has receded, except to give a bit of roundness to the blend, and the honeysuckle is detectable as an individual note as well. In fact, I'd suggest that at this point, Juliet is predominantly sweet pea and honeysuckle on me, with the white musk doing what it can to ground the scent. (That it's a very light, airy blend is more a function of the notes listed rather than any kind of failing on the part of the white musk.)

Another hour later, the musk settles back, and the pear reemerges a bit to give the blend a light, sweet feel that isn't overly floral or cloying. 

The throw on this is fairly low, and the wear length is on the shorter side.

A mix of the sweet pea and musk at the top. It does feel just a tiny but soapy, but not bad. The sweet pea is very pink smelling, a little bit fruity. Pleasant. The musk is just clean smelling.

There is a milder floral beneath that, the lilies. Definitely white florals, clean and a bit sweet. Not too soapy thankfully.

The heliotrope isn't too distinct, I think it mostly just adds a sort of powdery quality here.

The honeysuckle for the most part vanishes on application, which to be honest I'm kind of grateful for. Honeysuckle doesn't always play nice with my skin chem.

There is a hint of fruity pear. More on the wrist sniff than in the throw, which is a shame, because it does smell very nice.

Overall this is a pretty decent GC blend. Definitely more succesful than other sweet pea oriented BPAL GC blends I've tried.

I love heliotrope, and it isn't a note that gets used often, so I was looking forward to this one. Sadly, I don't get any heliotrope, but there is a ton of sweet pea and lily, backed by a bite of juicy pear, all grounded by white musk. It's an innocent, beginner-friendly fruity floral, and I can't imagine it offending anyone. 6/10 - one of the more "normal" BPAL offerings

This is very sweet and pretty. I love the pear, although I think that what gives this a soapy edge when combined with the flowers. I don't mind the "clean" smell, however, as it doesn't burn my nose or get overpowering.

Pear, white musk, and lily of the valley - without looking at the notes. 

Hmmm... Ok.  Not lily of the valley, but a gentle, somewhat soapy floral note created by a melange of other blossoms.  I think I can detect sweet pea peaking out, if I look.  Lily usually smells sweet, almost honeyed on me and avoids soap territory.  This is behaving better than most lily of the valley, but it's still very reminiscent.  The pear is made dry by the white musk at first, but after a few minutes, the musk and florals take over and pear becomes barely discernible.  There's a powdery softness to the blend, and an underlying creaminess, and the white musk refrains from going screechy.  It's pleasant, but very not me.  This seems like it fits in the family of Queen of Hearts, Endymion, and King of Hearts.  Check it out if you like lily of the valley, sweet pea, or your florals with aldehydes or white musk.  I was hoping for something more juicy and lush, and I'm disappointing I can't detect the heliotrope or honeysuckle. 

Edited by VetchVesper

There's no grape notes in this, but I swear it smelled like grape juice when I first sniffed it? It was probably the pear. But wow this is wonderful, I may enjoy this more than Titania. This almost reminds me of an Ariana Grande perfume because almost all of hers have pear notes. This is a very sweet floral that is not overpowering. 

However, for me the strength isn't that good. Only a couple hours after applying and I have to put my wrist straight up to my nose to really smell it. This could just be that I need to apply more, when I try imps I try not to slather myself in the oils.

It also has a faint powdery, clean smell, maybe it's from the musk. I really enjoy this and will keep my imp. I may keep an eye out for a bottle to see if the wear length is really just from me not applying enough.

In the wet phase of this I get watery pear while the smell of sweet pea dominates the dry phase.  It's a light and pleasing scent with a sort of candy-like aspect from the sweet pea.  It's more of a suggestion of candy than an actual candy - it's not nearly sweet or strong enough to resemble an actual candy.

Juliet is a light, innocent, sweet scent.  "Watery" keeps coming to mind despite it not containing any aquatic notes - maybe "diluted" is a better word.  Every note is so delicate until the very end of its life on my skin, when it becomes an ultra powdery heliotrope.

It's not bad by any means, but I prefer Queen of Hearts which feels vaguely related.

In the vial: Something sweet and sticky, almost nectary, reminding me of the drops of honeysuckle I’d put on my tongue in a garden I knew as a child

On me, wet: the stickiness subsides to become more floral, the lily comes forth and the pear just peeks in in the background

On me, just dried: The white musk steps forward to do the job of anchoring these floating florals, the pear is oh-so-subtle, more the lily asserting itself

After 15 minutes: Pear, Lily, White Musk in a valse à trois and all are dressed in shades of green

After 30 minutes: Honey has stepped in to lead the dance with Musk and Lily, Pear has gone to catch her breath

After 1 hour: Honey and Pear need to get a room, but Lily keeps stepping in.

After 3 hours: Pear reminisces about the wild days of her youth, but her memories are fading.

Verdict – This is a repeat purchase for me; Not every purchase, no, but I can’t resist coming back to it from time to time. Will not buy next round, but perhaps a time or two after?

In the imp: Clean, sweet, slightly soapy florals. 

Wet on my skin: This goes on very much lily and pear, with an undertone of sweet pea. 

Dry: As far as lily and/or pear blends go, this is actually a well-behaved, inoffensive one on me. Youthful and light, pretty, and sweet. My skin often blows up pear and lily notes into "entire mortuary worth of flowers" and/or soap, but here, it's fairly quiet, realistic flowers and a hint of juicy pear. I can pick out lilies, honeysuckle, and sweet pea if I try, but overall it's a well-blended bouquet. I think the white musk and some hints of 'green' stem notes in the flowers must be taming this just enough that it actually works on me! There's a slightly powdery quality to it as it wears, and that is (to me) reminiscent of the thick, fuzzy yellow pollen you get in those big, floppy lilies of various types. The scent overall isn't really something I would wear more than once in a blue moon, as fruity-florals are not quite "me," but this is really pretty and I'll be happy to have it on my skin while (re)testing it! Might pull out the imp from time to time, who knows. 

Edited by DiesMali

I picked up the white florals pack for mum, as a lot of the notes listed were things she really likes, but we ended up getting a duplicate frimp of Juliet along with the one in the pack. My sister's mentioned some interest in BPAL while we've been on the phone with her, so I figured I'd try this one out, see if it's something she'd like, and then send it to her if it's suitable.

Wet and in the bottle, you really get the pear notes. It adds a really subtle sourness that I really like, that transforms it from 'boring white floral' to something with a bit more interest. It fades a bit pretty quickly though, leaving a sweet floral bouquet. You definitely get the honeysuckle, maybe a touch of the lilies. As of writing this the smell has deepened a little bit, is a bit more rounded instead of just high notes of florals, I hesitate to say it reminds me of pears cooked in cinnamon and vanilla. It's very clean and very graceful, maybe a little bit soapy as some people have said, but not in a bad way at all. Not a scent I'd choose for me, and too 'girly' for mum, but I'm definitely passing it on to my sister, I'm sure she's going to adore it. Now, I think we had some pears in the fridge...

Soapy honeysuckle with a hint of other colourful florals, very lovely, but pretty much dissapears on my skin.