Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Juliet

Sweet pea with stargazer lily, calla lily, heliotrope, honeysuckle, white musk and a touch of fresh pear.

Juliet reminds me of Desdemona, smell-wise, probably because of the sweet pea. However, Juliet is younger and livelier and less clear, scent-wise. There are soft florals, but this doesn’t quite make me think “Floral!” Instead, this makes me think more of the general impression of the scent. This is slightly powdery, but not too much so. There might be some water lily here, or some sort of water-based flower scent (not lotus, though, definitely not lotus). This is a blue/green sort of scent. At one point, this made me think of sunscreen lotion, but I had just applied some lotion, so it might be because of that. I’m in my fifth hour, and while the scent has faded a tad bit, it still remains true.

this came in a lot of imps i bought on ebay, and i hesitated to try it because i've always been wary of "girly," powdery fragrances. it definitely IS powdery, and sweet and flowery, but in the BEST way. it's not a strong, overwhelming floral scent, but rather very gentle and very calming.

Oh what a lovely scent this is... incredibly feminine and light. I can really smell the sweet-pea in this blend. This is a very playful and fun blend. :P

My scent of the day: Juliet

Well, it's a very feminine scent with plenty of floral notes. It dried down to a soft and pleasent flower smell. Throughout the day Juliet would get occationally get stronger and then quiet down a bit too. I think the lilly and sweetpea were the strongest notes to show up.

Overally it's ok on me. I'm glad to have an imp. Personally, I would only wear it on occation, as it's a little too much of a sweet little girl for me. I'm less of Juliet's innocence and more of Beatrice cynical nature from "Much Ado About Nothing."

It is a nice little scent to have on occation, when I dress up in the summertime with a flowing floral skirt. Just not quite the scent to wear even when in a normal kick ass and take numbers mood. I'd imagine it's a good scent for being a bridesmaid in a summer wedding (prolly what I WILL wear to my friend's wedding this Aug); however, with my personality, NOT what I'd wear to be a bride.

Pretty and delicate with staying power as well. Just not quite what I was entirely in the mood for today. My bad.

Juliet

In the bottle: Very light, a bit crisp, kind of honeyed, slightly sweet. Smells golden, just like the color of the oil. Hewwo, pear, I wubboo!

On my skin: The lilies are rowdy at first. It's like they're pushing the other components down with their naughty little stems, including the pear and white musk I love so much. Attention whores. Lilies always smell a bit paper-y to me, a bit waxy -- maybe even a bit dry. But ah, they're calming down. They, in the aftermath of their initial struggle for dominance of this blend, are resigning themselves to the fact that it's just not nice to not play nicely with others. It's starting to blend together now, smelling quite a bit like it did in the bottle: light and crisp, honeyed and sweet. It is a bit powdery, but not aggressively so. It's powdery in a very subtle, feminine way, in the way many mainstream perfumes are.

Final thoughts: While I didn't think much of this blend the first time I tried it (much to my dismay, as I'm such a Juliet fangirl), I found myself reaching for it again and again. It is, at the moment, my most worn BPAL oil. Not my favorite, mind you (that honor goes to Maiden, my pwecious), but my most worn. I just find it very classic, very safe. But more than that, it's very, very pretty. This feels like me. But then, I'm in my element with sweet, feminine blends.

P.S. Juliet, to me, is a more feminine version of Endymion. Not that Endymion is a masculine blend, not by any means. Juliet just doesn't in any way smell gender-neutral to me. Endymion, however, does.

Edited by riddel

I agree that this reminds me alot of Endymion, except I like this one better. It's just a bit juicier and sweeter. This is still a bit too young and innocent for me though, I will keep my eyes open for other sweetpea blends though, because I did enjoy that.

This IS Juliet from the Shakespeare play...classic, young, carefree, light...well, until she oh happy daggered. The joy of love and the hopes of the plan she had made...all in a bottle.

It smells on the skin at first of fresh pear. I love the beginning note that dances into a light floral...lily perhaps? Then into honeysuckle...an innocent play of flowers.

This is very pretty. I could see a teenage girl wearing this, but only if she is timid to the sarcasm of the world. Lovely as white lace and Mary Jane shoes.

You guessed it, 180 degrees from me. I cannot say that it is bad. It is sweet and very girly. A girls' girl perfume. Pink, light ivory and robin's egg blue.

This would be perfect for Gothic Lolitas out there!

Edited by Madame Nyx

I received Juliet as a freebie imp. I had wanted to try it, but at the same time I figured with all the florals that Juliet would be just heinous on my skin. I was a bit wary of the lily flowers, actually, though I'm not entirely sure why.

When I first applied the oil... ooh! It's a floral that smells clean and juicy! The honeysuckle, I would have to say, is the predominant note, with the pear making the fragrance really quite juicy. Juicy florals, is there such a thing? Well, if so, Juliet would be a good embodiment of the genre. It's a very strong scent in the initial application from the imp.

As the scent leaves the initial wet stage of juicy honeysuckle, the fragrance doesn't change too drastically. I am still noticing the honeysuckle first off, but the white musk is making a subtle entrance. White musk normally works well with my skin, and in this case it's hardly overpowering the florals, but rather tipping the balance away from being Floralfest 2005 with the pear in its aid. I'm not very good at telling the difference between the calla lily and stargazer lily, nor the heliotrope, but I do smell something other than the honeysuckle. The mix of flowers really smells quite lovely, especially now that the scent has had the chance to fade a tad, but it's still quite noticable.

By the way, I should note that some of you who may dislike jasmine may also have problems with honeysuckle. I think the two flowers are related, and they do resemble each other somewhat in terms of fragrance, at least to me. Some people are also allergic to fragrances with jasmine, honeysuckle and magnolia, so although this would be a lovely one for work, make sure there aren't people with sensitive allergies who may be provoked if you wear this. I figure it won't be too bad so long as you don't go overboard.

Since I'm not much for florals normally, I may not buy a bottle of Juliet anytime soon, however I am definitely keeping this imp. There are certain times when one needs a nice, pretty floral, and Juliet is just gorgeous. I'm as fond of it as I am of Endymion, which is another floral that features the beauty of pear. Juliet makes a wonderful day scent, perfectly suited to the soon-to-be spring months.

-doreen

::says silent prayer that the honeysuckle won't murder all the other notes then cling to me for dear life::

In the imp: :: celebrates: OH this IS GORGEOUS!!!! Barely any honeysuckle.... sweet pea, lillies, and yes, the sweetness of pear....

Swiped on both wrists, wet: Ok, this is wierd: left wrist is the lovely combo of sweet pea, lillies, and, pear, right wrist: pure honeysuckle!!! GRRRRR!!! DAMN IT!!!!

Drydown, ten minutes: Right and left wrist starting to smell a lot alike... Thankfully very little honeysuckle.... Very soft scent... Extremely feminine.... Love this so far... Consideration for a 10 ml... :D :D :D :P

ETA: The scent has faded, completely... Meaning the honeysuckle didn't cling hopelessly to my skin!!!! YAY!!!! Maybe this is a sign I should give "Twilight" another shot? Wierd-ass body chemistry....

In the Bottle: I can smell the Sweet Pea I think...

On my skin: The Sweet Pea and Lily start to battle now.... Unfortunately, while it smells nice, it's starting to make me itch....

Dry: Nice, almost soapy, but you can smell the lily and the sweet pea in mine, but it's making me irritated so I gotta wash it off... Off to swaps this goes!

In the bottle: Sweet pea is very close to the surface of this blend with the other florals mixing together in the background and providing a backing fragrance for that top note. I don't get a sense of any pear or musk yet, but I'm interested in seeing if this white musk blend works as well on me as the others I've tried.

Wet: Hmmm...I don't know. I didn't think this would such a heavy scent. I think the problem may be the lilies. I don't think I've found a single lily scent that works on me, which is rather unfortunate really. The sweet pea and the pear are noticeable but the initial rush of scent is that heavy lily smell I get from all the lily blends.

Dry down: Lilies and sweet pea. It's possible that the honeysuckle might be in there, too, but the other scents are too strong to get through them. This is still too heavy and almost waxy for me, which is how lilies seem to react to my skin. I was hoping this would be a very light floral, fresh and clean. It's a very nice scent but too heavy and tragic for me. The pear is starting to peak out, though, and I'm reminded why I like it in so many scents.

Dry: Now it's turned into pear and musk and sweet pea. It's a little less heavy than the lily smell, but it's still not...me. I'm not the biggest fan of sweet pea and the mix between it and the pear is kindly sickly especially with the backing musk. It's kinda sour and...I don't even know the right word to describe it, but it's not terribly pleasant.

wow for a lily scent this one speaks to me, i am no lily fan, but the sweetpea, and pear take the sharpness out of the lily. i get the slightest hint of musk and even slighter hint of heiliotrope. all in all very innocent, beautiful, and young yet deeper then one expects a "young" scent to be

I was gifted this imp by a lovely forumite of whose name is yet a mystery to me. ^^

in the bottle: sweet and fresh. It smells like Desdemona, but more innocent, I think. I'm probably smelling sweet pea, but my nose is misleading with notes, so I might be wrong.

on the skin: the whole time I had Juliet on, it was light and airy and hard to really pick up on unless I brought my wrist to my nose. It's a very light smell, pleasing to the nose.

I can't remember if I reviewed Desdemona, but the reviews for that and Juliet would be almost identical, except Juliet doesn't have the staying power. This is an overall nice smell to have hanging around. A keeper, for now.

First sniff from the bottle- Woh Mama, that's some strong honeysuckle.

After 10 minutes- This is a sickeningly sweet floral blend. The honeysuckle is the dominate note with a hint of pear.

After 30 minutes- This smells a lot like New Orleans minus the jasmine. This is waaaaaay too floral for me.

Summery- Swapola

Origin:

Lagniappe from the Lab. :P

Preconceived notions:

I don't normally do florals or fruit, but this sounds like it could be pretty. I actually like honeysuckle and white musk and I'm learning to like pear, so it may actually work. I know the last thing I tried with stargazer lily in it (Grandmother of Ghosts) was gorgeous, so I'm curious about whether this will work or not.

First sniff:

As much as I dislike florals, I like Juliet so far. I smell honeysuckle and pear for sure and probably sweet pea, but I'm not too good at identifying most flowers by smell. It's a soft, unoffensive floral like...well, like honeysuckle, but slightly different in a way I can't describe. This actually has potential.

Wet on skin:

Honeysuckle and pear are still dominating but the musk is creeping in, too, slowly but surely. It's actually very pretty, even to me, a self-admitted non-girly girl and hater of florals. I can definitely see myself wearing this...I'd even consider wearing it to my wedding.

Dry down:

Juliet has settled down into a lovely white musk scent with a hint of pear and some sort of floral that I can't place. This is feminine without being overwhelmingly so and I actually like it quite a bit, which amazes me since it's the antithesis to the sort of scents I normally wear. I'm glad I tried this instead of passing on it without testing it. :D

The bottom line:

I don't know if I'll wear this often, but it really is lovely. :D

At first sniff, I thought of Aeval. They smell so similar in the bottle. Sweet pea being the initial scent on them both. I was not sure how this one would work.

Juliet has the initial scent of Sweet Pea, but as it dries the lillies come to play with the dry scent being a combination of lily, pear and white musk. Sweet pea is still there, but more as a lingering kiss than full blown.

I'm glad that I didn't review this right off the bat, because it took a few wearings for me to learn its nuances :P

This starts out a lovely honeysuckle-pear-musk...utterly beautiful and not soapy at all (yay! a floral that doesn't go soapy on me!!). During drydown, it becomes a heavy honeysuckle, which I'm not *terribly* fond of, because honeysuckle smells fake to me unless it's light and breezy. But late drydown, when it turns into a musky, gentle lily with just a hint of honeysuckle left, is beautiful.

So...beautiful-->eh...-->beautiful

I can live with that :D Juliet is going to be one of my summer staples, along with Shanghai.

Juliet

Starts off with a harsh green floral scent. It is sorta similar to that strong green scent you get from Lush's Tiptoe through the Tulips soap but with a very different floral behind it. As it dries the harsh strong green note dies down and a light powdery floral comes out. There's a touch of fruit to this. I looked it the notes, it lists pear. It could be the pear I'm smelling. Every time I sniff my hand, I get a combo of the harsh green note, powder and a sort of ozone-y floral. It doesn't smell quite as fake to me as ozone-y florals do. This is in general a nice light scent. Now its very sweet and it seems the pear is really coming out. Its still floral and the strong green note is completely gone. Another one in the Amsterdam family, though Amsterdam is still my fave amongst the scents that seem similar to it.

In the vial: Pear. Very much pear and sweet pea. Almost candy-sweet.

Wet: The pear is still there, but heeeeere comes the honeysuckle and the musk. Which is okay, because I like honeysuckle, but it's an entirely different vibe--like, the fresh, young, girl-next-door candy-coated scent has just shaken out her hair, unbuttoned a few buttons, and given you a Tallulah Bankhead smile. Rich and heavy and evocative.

Drydown: The vamp fades, and she's tender again, and a little sad, the sweetness still there of the pear and the lilies emerging from beneath the honeysuckle. Much softer now, have to be right next to my skin to smell it.

You know, I write this, and I think--wow. It's the evolution of Juliet, from carefree teenager to woman in love to mourning bride. How do you DO that with a perfume?

Juliet is a soft, sweet, innocent floral perfume ... just what you'd expect from the name.

The predominant notes when I first put this on my skin are the honeysuckle and sweet pea. So sweet, it's on the edge of being cloying...but thankfully these notes fade back quite a bit on the initial drydown.

Uh oh, here comes the musk. Musk doesn't like my skin, even a subtle white musk like this. I can detect the pear in this blend, but the musk seems to be drowning that note.

The final dryout of Juliet is rather powdery, and again, I'm sure that's the musk.

The sheer amount of lily in this oil screams on my skin. I can smell the pear and the musk and the heliotrope and honeysuckle, but it's so far down under the lily that I can't stand it.

If the lighter, sweeter florals came up a bit more, I'd love it -- sweet florals make me happy. But the lily kills me dead.

Nothing good is coming from my freebie imp of Juliet. It is headache inducing when sniffed from the imp, but I still figured I would give it a go on my skin. Even in this incredible heat, it is an extremely potent scent with lots of throw. I love white florals, but this one is the type of scent that is so awful that you can taste it. I am not getting any pear or musk for that matter. It's mostly sweet pea and soap with a touch of the other florals :P I think I would like it better if some more of the pear came out on me. I need to go wash this off... :D

In the vial it smelled very floral and sweet. I think the honeysuckle was really coming forward.

On my skin I didn't get any of the pear and I wasn't really getting much musk either. It turned into a very heavy heavy floral on me. It was just a little bit too much for me.

Juliet was very pretty and feminine, but I'm sending it to someone who will hopefully appreciate it more than I can.

In bottle: Smells very light, playful and floral. I agree with the description of youth. It's very light hearted

On Skin: I can smell the lilies and the honeysuckle the most. After a while, it becomes a very 'clean' smell, but I have a bias to like those. There is a mild 'green' note at the end, but again, I'm not adverse to it.

On Drydown: Very floral, the lilies are still there. I haven't smelt the pear at all. But I do have the impression when I smell it of a young girl, carefree and innocent, full of dreams and high hopes. Someone that is waiting to fall in love. :D

Verdict: I like this scent. Right off the bat my nose went "oooh!" and on my skin, it went 'oooh' as well. It doesn't have the power that Goneril has and both are very lily scents on my skin. This one is more innocent and clean. Not to say that there isn't an intensity in this scent. :P

Bottle (Imp): This smells sweet, and flowery.

Just On: I'm certain there are flowers in this one.

An hour or two later: It almost smells doughy.

Around 6 hours: It's all gone.

12 hours: Obviously, gone still.

Overall: I sort of liked this one, but not enough to move it to my big bottle list, at least not yet.

After reading other reviews: The sweet must be the pear, but I couldn't identify it specifically. This faded awfully fast on me, and had an odd bit in the drydown that reminded me of dough, not sweet dough, or even bread dough, I don't know what kind, just dough.