Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Juliet

Sweet pea with stargazer lily, calla lily, heliotrope, honeysuckle, white musk and a touch of fresh pear.

This is a light and complex, yet not too sweet floral scent in the vial. On my skin, the floral becomes deeper, with a slight fruity musk note warming it slightly. After a few hours it becomes a lovely, soft and sweet light floral-filled musk. Edited by kunoichi

I can understand the comparisons to Ivory soap, because the first thing I thought of when I put on Juliet was "hand lotion". There must be a major brand of lotion that's scented with sweet pea or honeysuckle or something, because it really was all I could smell and I know it's exactly the scent of some brand or another -- not a bath & beauty specialty creation but something like Vaseline Intensive or Jergens. Mr O didn't agree, so maybe it was just some brand that figured prominently in my childhood.

Dried down, it's a little less lotiony and a little more musky, but it's still there. Curiously, I never got any lily at all, and it often dominates blends; this one is really well-balanced with no particular floral note leading. I think I can see how the pear rounds things a little and prevents it from being completely a floral-musk. Pretty, but not me.

Edited by odalisque

In the imp: Pear juice! And honeysuckle!

Wet: Pear and lillies. Very "clean" smelling!

Dry: The sweetpea is dominant now, but the other florals are just behind it. The pear is starting to back down. A very clean and gentle scent.

A while later: A very light, clean floral with a tiny waif-like body from the pear. It is making me imagine a white organza curtain fluttering in a breeze. Very delicate, feminine and innocent.

Got this as a frimp. Overall summary: the first buds of spring.

In the vial: smells like concentrated fresh sweet-green flowers. I am not super familiar with all of these individual notes, but I think the sweet pea, calla lily and heliotrope form the strongest impression. I can also tell it's not all floral.

On wet: the pear blends extremely well with the florals, almost impossible to distinguish. The intensive sweet-green aspect abates (a good thing, for me). Not too soapy, considering all the florals, thank goodness.

Dry: doesn't really morph.

Overall, completely not me, and completely not the image I want to project of myself either, but I might keep the imp around for those first days of spring.

This is pretty much a floral so I knew it had a high fail chance on me but I wanted to try it anyway. And it went soap like I thought. It was a nice smelling soap but soap all the same. Florals do that on me a lot so not surprising. Ah well.

This is a light, ethereal greenish floral, with the pear probably adding to the "green" quality. I appreciate the rendering of the concept--I imagine this to be the fresh innocent Juliet before her twisted venture into that whole pseuicide potion thing--but it's really not my type of scent.

I've been pining for a good white musk scent, and this one is pretty good =) I get a stronger sense of this while its wet -- the sweetpea and lily and the white musk strong, and maybe the sharp edge is heliotrope. The dry fragrance is much more subtle though. I get mostly sweetpea and white musk, very very soft. BPAL's dont tend to last very long on my skin - usually about 2 hours. This one has been on about 30 minutes so far. The other wrist has Dirty, and they are surprisingly similar at this stage.

Light, bright, green florals. This is a nice blend that reminds me of spring. It starts out pretty strong but quickly fades and stays close to the skin. As it fades the florals fade and the pear becomes more prominent. I think I'll keep the imp, but won't be springing for a bottle.

though it's not exact, all i could think of while wearing this was love's baby soft. juliet, on me, is just a very sweet powder. innocent & shimmery, pale & youthful, but ultimately too sweet&powdery for me. :(

off to swaps.

Imp: The pear dominates with a hint of honeysuckle and lily.

Wet: Still predominantly pear but the lily is unfolding a bit more and the honeysuckle and musk are blending into a quite creamy scent. The lily has gone a bit green and stemmy and thankfully the sweet pea is not present.

Dry: Confession time: I have run through half an imp of this just dabbing it on and intending to review it and then finding myself at a loss of words because it turns into the most boring scent in the world on my skin. It's not gross or anything but it is utterly forgettable and boring and smells a little like cheap soap but without that inherently tart/oily (if that makes sense) that you smell off physical soap. But it is so very, very, very boring and I know it's my skin chemistry's fault because it sounds like a phenomenal mix of ingredients. I think the drydown is mainly lily and while I like lily, I don't like it this much. The pear has died a martyr's death and the other ingredients have fled in terror although it seems like they've left little remnants behind. And it is really, really boring. This is the type of perfume I'd put on, sniff and then put perfume on top of because it smells like getting out of the bath. It's probably great for people who prefer a lighter scent or a skin but better type of scent but it is not great for me.

Throw: Mild.

Overall: It's fine. It's wearable and dries down to a passably professional floral. It is not really jibing with my tastes but I'm glad to have tried it. And I'm glad to have finally written this review. Getting up the motivation to do that was my personal BPAL Waterloo.

Sweet pea and lily in the imp, we'll see what it decides to do on my skin. Green florals, and really bitter. Erm. Not quite for me.

In the Imp: yup, it’s a floral

Wet on Skin: lilies dominant; a touch of pear and sweetness

While Drying: I'm getting the weird, sour muskiness that I often get from lilies, with a vague touch of soapiness underneath.

After a Little While: Hmm… this is improving with time… the lilies are dying down to a tolerable level, and the other flowers are taking over (this is a definite improvement).

Later: The drydown is surprisingly lovely, but I'm not sure I want to weather the lily-storm to get here. Juliet is a warm, gentle scent.

Juliet earns a 3/5 on my skin.

A frimp from the lab - I don't see myself liking this but I do like pear, musk, honeysuckle and heliotrope - so it won't be completely awful :D

In the imp, this is a light, fresh floral, and on wet, the lily and sweetpea reign surpreme.

On drydown, this sweetens notably, the lilies play with the heliotrope and honeysuckle, and it all turns a little into lily soap. No signs of pear or musk. Woe :( Definitely not for me, but it's a very nice and clean floral for people who are into that kind of thing.

This is the first BPAL scent I've ever tried, thanks to a certain lovely forumite; so I'm afraid that I can't really compare/contrast with other scents...

In the bottle: I was disappointed with this one - what I got was commercial home fragrance (a la Glade Plug-ins) with a heavy dose of musk.

On my wrist, wet: a sudden, strong burst of florals.

Drying: suddenly the heliotrope & pear came out, & for about ten minutes this was a beautiful, beautiful scent! All breeze & vanilla & subtle, sensual sweetness.

Dry: a very sweet, powdery scent. Every now and then I get notes of heliotrope, lily & pear, and the honeysuckle is a constant ephemeral presence - but mostly I'm getting sweet pea with a light background of musk. I can't decide if it's a lovely, sweet daytime scent or if it's just a little bit too old-lady-ish. There is almost a hint of an early summer garden after rain to it, which I love. I'm just really not used to wearing super-sweet scents. I'm going to keep it for now & try it again. Perhaps it's not best-suited to these grey October days...

This is one for my 5ml wish list.

In The Bottle: Lots of pear. I can smell vaguely floral-y scents, but mostly pear, pear, pear. Not bad, mind you - I normally don't go for fruity/foody scents but what I've found in BPAL so far is nice.

Immediate Application: Still lots of pear, which seems to do interesting/nice things on my skin. Some freshness from the florals start to poke through after a few minutes.

30-45 Minutes Later: The pear backs off a bit more, I smell more of the clean, slightly sharp type of freshness that I associate with florals.

I have to agree with others that point out that this is a very "pink" scent - I also pick up hints of gold and a touch of green here and there. Very feminine.

Edited by lavenderfrost

This is exquisitely blended. It doesn't particuarly smell similar to anything, however I do agree with the reviews that it has some resemblance to the synthetic aldehyde scents so popularized by Chanel. However, paradoxically it lacks that synthetic 'headache vibe' that department store fragrances have. This isn't exactly me, I prefer sexy to 'fresh', but for what it is, it's very well done. I am a Wiccan; I use this on my altar to represent the element "air".

On the skin: Lovely lovely floral. I think it is mostly the calla lily since I am getting very little of the stargazer lily that I love. A green floral that is turning to suntan lotion on my skin. I think that may be the heliotrope.

Not for me.

I get a large waft of white musk in this initially. White musk can be good, or it can be eau de dryer sheet. We'll see. I get a lot of honeysuckle as this warms up on my skin... and it starts to smell like burning death. WTF? Apparently I can't do honeysuckle, because at the moment this smells somewhat rancid. Wow. Okay, this is off to swaps...

Edited by calivianya

I'm not sure what it is in Juliet that smells so horrible on me. When I read all the notes I thought that I would love it and that it may turn out to be similar to Fae (which I love - a white musk, fruity/floral), but this just smells like a really bad sour, air freshner - its almost headache inducing. I couldn't detect any of the white musk or pear that I was looking for. I think that it might be the honeysuckle which turns bad on me because normally I am ok with lillies. I am going to remember to stay away from honeysuckle in the future. Juliet is not a scent for me, even though on paper it sounds as though it would smell great. I'm sure that it would smell beautiful on someone else.

Juliet is best described as a "young" scent, and one very befitting the Bard's tragic heroine.

In the bottle, the sweet pea and the lily are the stars of the show. I get a whiff of the musk as well, but not much else.

Wet, I finally get a hint of pear if I really concentrate, but it's well blended enough that it just evokes a girl on the verge of pubescence, virginal, idealistic, and sweet.

After a few hours, the musk becomes the star of the show, while the florals recede into the background. After about 6 hours, this has become a beautiful summer floral musk. The pear is the first note to burn away, but the final result is still very pretty. It reminds me strongly of a drugstore perfume I used to wear as a kid, only Juliet is (obviously) superior and more nuanced. Juliet is also very similar to Aeval; if you like one, you'll probably like the other. I think all in all I prefer Juliet, but it's a close call. This is perfect for a warm, breezy day on the water. Well done, Beth.

I can't actually pick out any notes - maybe because I am not familiar with sweetpea and the two lilies - and not heliotrope either.

I do note that I find no pear and no honeysuckle - this makes me sad.

It smells Very nice, that is true - it is beautiful and soft and - far as I can tell - really well blended, with a nice scent picture that melds together like a dance.

So what's the problem then?

On me - it smells of all this - in soap-format. I do not like soap-smell.

Too bad, and I can't swap it either, cause it has leaked - maybe I can seal it up and frimp it to someone who wants to test it, as a "better than nothing" - the scent will still be the same, even if the imp is a bit sticky :)

Juliet

In the imp: Peaaarrrrssss! Lots of pear, backed up closely by his wingman, honeysuckle.

On my skin: At first the honeysuckle explodes to the forefront (which makes me happy, because it reminds me of my childhood spent playing in and among those flowers.) Sadly, like many others, after 5 or 10 minutes, this scent fades into a soapy, lotiony nothingness. It smells pleasant enough, but the throw is minimal and I imagine it will wear off completely within the hour. Strangely I am reminded of My Little Ponies. You know the old ones that were scented? I smell like one of those - slightly plasticy, slightly floral, but both very faint.

Imp: Mainly sweet pea. Something behind it almost smells like dandelion, which is strange.

Wet: Sweet pea and lily. Reminds me a lot of Desdemona at this stage. <3

Dry: Smelling a little bit soapy, but not overly so. Some sweet pea and musk in the background, with pear in front?

Quite pretty. Definitely lighter than Desdemona.

In the imp Juliet is very floral, with a sort of dewy freshness from the pear. I can smell the musk if I sniff down into the imp, but not on the application wand, interestingly. I can't really pick out any individual floral notes, but it's very springy, and on the sweet side.

On my skin, it's very pretty, though very feminine and girly, which is not often my style. I doubt it's something I'd wear too often, but it would be nice for spring.

In bottle: A delicate floral melange led by heliotrope dancing on a canvas of musk with a touch of pear. Wet: Still heliotrope dominant, but the other florals are better differentiated, with the lilies a strong second. The musk continues pervasive but understated. The Sweet pea is support to the lilies. The pear is more an accent than a strong note in itself. Dry: soft, generic florals over lots of musk.