Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
greenranger

Mead Moon

Golden mead, fermented with fruit, nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, ginger root, sweet-briar, rosemary, and lemon.

Mead Moon

On: Sweet, fermented honey with a hint of lemon.
1 hour in: There's an earthy note coming forward that I don't really like.
7.5 hours in: A sweet, warm scent. Very pretty.
Overall: This is a really nice scent once it dries on my skin.

Decided to go with the "My Stash" suggestion tonight for trying out a new scent.

In the bottle: This is definitely a sweet scent. I'm getting the honey mead, and I think a touch of the rosemary and lemon. There might be a few of the other spices in there, but they're being overpowered by the honey and lemon.

Wet on skin: On my skin, this is a very soft scent - almost floral, but not quite. I think it's the spices coming out to play.

Dry on skin: More of the same. Still very soft and mild.

Throw: Very little: I didn't think my nose was too stuffed, but I have to hold up my wrists to smell this well. And I keep doing that. :D

Verdict: ***** I almost wish the throw was a little bit stronger, but really, this is perfect for me when I need a mild perfume. Which honestly, is often. To be honest, I was a little apprehensive about the mead (mostly for honey, which I like a little bit, but I usually have to hide it in my food in order to be able to eat it (which I've done with some local honey in an attempt to tone down my allergies)). But the honey scent is so mild in this, and plays with the other notes nicely. I'll be looking forward to trying my Honey Moon next. If that wins me over, I'll definitely be in for some more honey-noted perfumes.

You know, I see these lists of notes and I keep thinking "Oh, I would totally have blind-bottled that LE Lunacy if I'd been around when it was available."

And then I try the decant, and 98 times out of 100 it goes to bleargh on my skin, and I am reminded once again why I've tried so hard to swear off blind bottles.

Sour honey and spice in the bottle, which goes on as dry spices and never really improves. The sourness eventually fades, and I can get a sense of the Lab's perfumy honey, but it's just not there.

In vial: A pale lemony amber with herbs hiding in the background.

On me: Goes on richer, warmer, sweeter. But the herbal elements predominate in drydown: astringent lemon and herbal top notes, a touch of spice and almost-fruity booziness, and a broad backdrop of golden mead.

Verdict: This has the wrong balance for me, reading in almost perfect reverse order of the notes, when what I really wanted was an ornamented, enriched honey.  Not for me, and tbh I ended up washing it off.

in the imp: golden honey mead! Simple and true!

Dry: Same! But stronger. It's super nice and reminds me of some good days roaming around the ren faires! Dissapears within ten minutes and I am frustrated. :P

In the decant: Mead and fruit. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's basic honey mead. As it dries, I can make out nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, and lemon. There's something very round and almost buttery about the quality of this scent. 

Given time to develop, however, the ginger and lemon start to become more and more noticeable in the blend. Neither of them dominates outright, but they both work to cut Mead Moon's sweetness. The end result is a perfume that's more like a ginger lemon tea with lots of honey stirred in than it is like a blend whose backbone is honey or mead. 

I like it a lot -- though I need to slather to enjoy -- but I can understand that it's not what some people might have in mind for a scent with this name. 

Mead moon is another excellent honey dominant blend. This is basically straight honey on me. In the bottle is pretty similar to wet on the skin, just a little more concentrated and sweet. As other reviewers have noted this is a really well-blended scent. I was a little concerned by the cinnamon-ginger-clove combo but there is no trace of pumpkin pie spice. The citrus and herbs gives it a bit of an astringent edge that i think work with the spices to take the edge off the sweetness of the honey. definitely doesn't do the plastic thing that honies can do. this is also very long lasting. at the time of typing i've been wearing this for five hours and it's still pretty strong on me (scents tend to fade fast on me so this is lengthy). at one point the throw had a very comforting almost cocoa-y edge. at this point the honey has faded a little more and i think it's a bit greener but still sweet on the edges when sniffed up close. very comforting fall type scent, or for a snow day such as the one outside today.

So...as I'm sorting through my imps and decants from my grad school phase of "buy ALL the bpal"...I've got some Mead Moon 2008, or so says the label on this decant. There's only about a drop or two left. Let's see.

...wow. That's still...potent. Huge throw, given how little is on my wrist. It's...sweet honey. That's all, really. Sweet thick luscious honey. I do very much like it! I think it's very different from later more complex versions? It's a heavy honey single note on me, but that might be the 2008 formulation. I'm liking it, but of course these drops - aged at this point - are probably different from the new versions!