Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
greenranger

Mead Moon

Golden mead, fermented with fruit, nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, ginger root, sweet-briar, rosemary, and lemon.

Three words:
Angry Root Beer.

Thats the term my hubby coined for the scent wafting off me, and I have to agree. Four hours of angry root beer to get to *nose right up againsy wrist* maybe it's kinda honey.

Sooooooo sad. On my friends it goes right to 'Amber Honey Sex'!!!!!
I wanted Amber Honey Sex!!!!!

Angry Root Beer. stupid ginger root...........

Wet, this is honey and lemon. Reminds me of those honey-lemon cough drops, but I mean that in a good way.

The lemon seems to drop out as it dries down. There is a musky backnote that comes up and fills in the gap. This is so well blended that I can't really identify any notes except the honey, in the dry state. It's sweet and musky and delicious, but not in a foody way.

Later note: oh crud, a few hours of wear, and it's gone weird on me. It's now honeyed dirty ashtray with a nutmeg chaser. Not good at all. Time to scrub it off.

Edited by Jilara

Mead moon starts out gingery honey-lemon. Warm, golden spiced honey with just a sliver of lemon. Mmm :P

As it dries, it slightly turns powdery (as most BPAL honeys tend to do on my skin, I'm looking at you O).

Further dry, it turns to ... Harikata????? Huh?! Do I have a weird nose or what? Maybe a lighter, sweeter, less perfumey version of Harikata, but Harikata nonetheless. Good thing too, as I like Harikata.

3.5 out 5 stars.

Edited by mandragora

In the bottle: Virtually colourless oil. Boozy honey, soft spices. Hint of lemon. Ginger pretty apparent. This also has a sparkling quality and reminds me of root beer a bit.

Wet: Very faint, almost no honey - it's booze touched root beer almost completely now. I can barely detect anything else. Still quite fizzy. There's a sort of sweet coolness that reminds me of a float.

Dry: Still extremely faint. A slatherer for sure. The honey has come out a bit more, so it's soft rootbeer and grains (a really nice natural note) and very light mead. I so wish the honey were stronger in this! No rosemary. Lemon and root beer gone.

Later: A couple hours later, this has amped so that I can smell it without my nose pressed to my arm, and it's virtually pure delicious honey and nutty grains at this point, with very light suggestions of booze and spice, ginger and herbs. And some sexy musk!

Summary: Virtually honey SN, fairly light (this is a slatherer) with sexy skin musk, soft boozy mead and warm grain notes in the drydown. It's a very skin-like scent, comforting, soothing, natural. I want to bathe in. Low throw, good lasting power.

I need many more bottles of this, eek! Will call, please??! I am hoping one of my requests succeeds because this is finally it, an ultimate honey scent. I will be wearing this ALL FALL.

I have Honey SN on my other arm and other than the light grains and musk, the two are identical on my skin. *dies*

Edited by fairnymph

Spicy honey and skin musk! I get no booze, no lemon, just a honey that actually doesn't turn sickeningly sweet on me with a faint whiff of amber.

Call me crazy... you won't be the first!

But on me, Mead Moon smells almost exactly like Lush Snowcake :P with a touch of grass?

This is not a bad thing! Cause I do like Snowcake very much, and now I have something that layers with it perfectly :D

It's just that I do not get mead, or honey, lemon, booze at all.

I looked at Mead Moon and went.............wow this sounds like it'd be great! Now, to give you some idea, i'm a hardcore foody. With the exception of a few flower scents, the foodie scents are the only ones that work for me, hence why Beaver Moon is the only moon scent I own.

And I wanted Mead Moon to like me, I really did. Mead Moon however............. does not like me. It turned kinda.......funky, and then faded completely. This has made me really sad, but, I persevere.

It does have a boozy mead moment early on, probably due to the gruit, but on me it is only short lived. i was also excited that notes i normally amp up like lemon and clove never took over the scent!

this was a very pretty, light, golden honey which was supported/tempered/rounded by the other notes, some of which are playing a key role - like the sweet briar - but are really challenging to distinguish

a beautiful and harmonious scent.

First whiff: Bleh. :P

All I get from Mead Moon is honey. Straight honey. No spiciness. Not even terribly sweet. Definitely not an instant wow, but we'll age it to see what happens...

I'm really happy with how well Hay & Mead Moon are working for me. Some of the reviews were scaring me, but the oils did not disappoint. I LOVE Hay Moon, but I'm glad that I got a bottle of Mead Moon too.

On me, Mead Moon starts off as loads of sugary honey and a hint of something like root beer. It's a bit too much cloying sweetness for me for the first five minutes or so. In the drydown, this smells like a snuffed out vanilla & honey candle. Waxy, sweet, and with an intriguing touch of candle smoke. It's wonderfully unique and very sexy.

I thought that Honey Moon was pretty awful (herbal-floral with a drydown of sickeningly sweet, fuzzy honey), but this is so much better than Honey Moon was on me. I'm glad that this wasn't overly spicy, and that I can't pick out any lemon or rosemary.

It is a lovely scent - all honied deliciousness with just enough of a spicy undercurrent to keep it interesting. Thing is, to me it smells a LOT like Burt's Baby Bees scent. I love that scent, but I already have it!

Sigh.

In the bottle (partial bottle, sadly) I didn't know what all of the fuss was about--a bit of a spicy honey, but the honey seemed rather flat and dried out. Okay.

Wet. Still not impressed...a nice bit of spice, a very nice honey...what is all the fuss...

Oh. That's it.

Gorgeousness. Pure honey beauty. Not at all flat or dry--deep and luscious and gooey with lovely, lovely spices (but not...a spice-centric scent like I was fearing) and just a touch of a boozy note. It's the scent embodiment of the honey sticks that I buy at the Renaissance Festival and the overall tone very much reminds me of Faire. Happy place. Perfect scent.

Foo. WHY DID I NOT BUY MORE!?!

I should know better by now than to ever doubt things that Beth makes with honey. It is a rare day that one does not work on me (though it has happened).

This is pure honey delight! with a touch of booziness and a delicate flowery background that make this blend unique and strongly addictive! I keep on sniffing my arm and smile and laugh! It`s sweet but not cloying too, a miracle I think.

In The Bottle

Slightly fruity and spicey honey

On Application

Light fruity honey

Dry Down

I am surprised at how light and airy this is. Not cloying at all. The honey becomes stronger and sweter as this dries down further. Really, really nice.

Rating (0-5)

Everything except the golden mead note in this appealed to me-- particularly the sweet-briar. I had a premonition that this scent wouldn't be more me, but I'd pledged to get a decant of Hay Moon (what with the horse connection and all) so I decided I might as well get Mead Moon as well.

Premonition? Totally on the mark. I took one sniff of this in the imp, and got that icky sticky plastic-honey smell that I get from so many bpal honey scents. I couldn't smell a thing beyond that-- not even a boozy note. This one promptly hit the swap pile.

Rating (on skin): 3/5

Summarised in a few words/smilie: Spiced, honey root beer.

In the bottle: Honey! Sweet, thick, rich, spiced money.

On skin, wet: Root beer? The hell?

On skin, dry: Root beer.

Conclusion: Oy. When I first sniffed it in the decant, I fell in love. I stuck some in my scent locket and went on my way, searching and hunting for more -- all the while assuming it would be that same sweet, deep honey on my skin. And then, when I finally do try it, it's root beer with a touch of honey. Alas. I'll still keep a bottle or two for the locket, but I don't need to seek any more.

I'm a little amused by how many people have compared this to various Lush scents - and have to agree with the person who said that it's Lush's Honey Trap lip balm! :P

It's definitely a predominantly honey scent, but I think the rosemary, lemon and nutmeg are notable temperers (in that order), cutting the sweetness and giving it a general creaminess with a little edge. It's a good one!

Out of the bottle: A very waxy, balmy honey smell...almost like fresh honeycomb with a little bit of lemon.

On my skin wet:The waxiness of the honey amps up a bit (just upon initial application) and then quickly fades to reveal some more of the lemon. The rosemary is also coming through.

Dry: As this goes through the process of drying it changes and morphs many times for me. One second I can pick out more lemon, the next it smells like those Honey-Lemon cough drops from Halls...then finally it settles into this sweet, mildly fruity and herbal perfume with an overall waxy, honeycomb aura to it.

Verdict: I'm not so sure if I like the waxy honey smell in Mead Moon, but everything else is gorgeous. I'll keep this around for awhile to see how it ages :P

I didn't buy a bottle of this, because I already have Honey Moon and Litha, both of which are my go-to bottles for a honey fix. However, my dear friend Lizard Queen decanted me an imp so I got to try it and......

(drum roll please!)

On me, it is a dead ringer for Honey SN, which I had a bottle of but sold quite awhile ago. Although I can smell a little ginger and fruit in the imp, on me, the honey overwhelms and it is pure, intoxicating honey, thick and golden.

It is quite lovely, and different from Honey Moon (which I thought it would smell like) because the rosemary never shows up on me, so it doesn't have the herbal note. And I also don't get the booziness which I get with Litha.

So yeah, I like it!

Sadly, Litha gave me severe headaches as did other oils with BPAL's honey note in it. But I trucked on and bought Mead Moon in hopes that the vanilla and other spices would smooth it out. I am so glad I did! The honey in this one is how I had hoped all the other ones would be. I can definitely smell the vanilla and I get a hint of spices in the background. It really is lovely. I'm so glad I bought it! It's a nice summertime scent but I think it will do well as an all year scent. :P

Preconceived Notion: Gonna like it. I'm fan of most of the notes, and am very excited!

In the Bottle: Oo.. spicy and winy.

On the Skin: Sweet spices with a touch of booziness.

After a While: Boozy musky.

Verdict: Lovely! Not what I was expecting, but that's just fine. I'm learning that the BPAL honey is ephemeral to my nose and skin - but it does lovely things with other notes. Mmm :P

Mead Moon - This is such a pretty scent. It's definitely got the boozy, honey-sweetness of mead without smelling like a honey-based fragrance. The spices are not strong, but they do give it a sense of depth and I dont smell the herbal notes, but can "feel" them, as if they're used to reduce the level of sweetness in the overall scent. This scent does take on the tiniest hint of plastic-scent on my skin, but it's still really beautiful and when I wear it, I smell it wafting around me for hours. I feel very fortunate to have a bottle of it to enjoy for a long time.

Okay, Mead Moon is just insane. Rich, sticky honey with an somewhat vanilla-like sweetness, rounded out by an undercurrent of deep bubbling fizz which is similar to root beer or cream soda. It actually reminds me of the kind of cream soda that I get for a treat occasionally, which is primarily flavored with honey & vanilla. When I imagine a drink made from honey, this is exactly what comes to mind as an ideal - all the thick golden sweetness without any of the alcoholic bite of actual mead. It's not necessarily a spicy scent, but there are hints of the spices throughout that add complexity to the honey. The rosemary & lemon seem to be completely absent to my nose... so basically, on me Mead Moon is a spiced honey soda :P delicious!