Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
greenranger

Mead Moon

MEAD MOON

Golden mead, fermented with gruit, nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, ginger root, sweet-briar, rosemary, and lemon.

For me, both wet and dry on the skin, this was pure honey and amber. It smells great, and was what I was hoping O would smell like, but I was hoping that the nutmeg and cinnamon would peak through a little more and give it some depth. I think I'll hang on to it for a while to see if age helps.

Edited by Shollin

I too get all honey and amber. No lemon HAI CAN I B LEMON PLEDGE NOW, K THX! Which my skin loves to amp to its fullest until I smell like I sprayed myself with dusting spray. I really wanted the spices to come out more, because I love what Beth does with spices, especially clove. I think it is just because I am a scent ho' and can't keep my mits off and I have to try them RIGHT NOW DAMMIT, instead of letting the precious rest after being bounced around by the post and sitting in my hot mailbox in the Texas heat. I really love Mead Moon even if the spices are being shy.

And, I think the baby made Beth make two oils that would go great together. I think her sprout is a perfume oil genius in the making. Hay Moon and Mead Moon are like that new lubricant for him and her. You know those comercials... "when they get together <insert operatic score here>? That is what Hay and Mead Moon do for my nose. Apart they are wonderful, together they create a nosegasm! :P

Love them both thanks Beth! :D

A soft honey sweetness with a resinous twang and the hint of grains, plus a tart little smack of lemon across its backside.

This is not Mead Moon at all. This is HEFEWEIZEN MOON! Woo hoo! :P

Beer-loathers, be not afraid, because this is everything that's good about a hefeweizen (the sweetness, the round complex flavor, the richness balanced by tartness) without any of the bad stuff (the lemon seeds, the need to pee afterwards). This perfume is what a good hefeweizen becomes when it goes to heaven.

Lobster Rating

better than: ...mead. :D

what more can i say except i second this review with my heart and soul and agree completely =D

Edited by sookster

oh DAMN, I knew if I only ordered one bottle of this I would love it, but if I ordered more than one I would hate it terribly.

So I got one bottle.

I was afraid of booze and whatever gruit is, but Mead Moon is sooooooooo good and will only improve with time. Gah. I can't even describe it beyond spicy-sweet goodness like none I have ever found. There's something to it that borders on fruity but isn't quite.

I really didn't care for O at all, but this is exactly what I thought it SHOULD smell like.

This is probably my least worthwhile review ever. Once I come down from my BPAL high I will do a better job.

I am so glad I got 2 bottles...now I just wish I had more :/

My first experience with mead was 11 years ago, when I was 17, at the Scarborough Faire Rennaissance faire in Waxahachie, TX; my mom gave me a taste :P & when I opened my bottle of Mead Moon, it was that instant scent/memory recognition:

Golden honey mead, summery & bright, sparkling, illuminated in a translucent earthen mug by morning sun. Women in brocade gowns of muted earthtones, sapphires, plums, roses, scarlets, sages, dance around a Maypole or sit in cool shade; men in supple, worn leathers laugh, boast, listening to the woodsy song of a dulcimer. Somewhere, I hear the gypsies dancing to the deep pulse of a doumbek, the bells on their ankles tinkling like a fountain over river rocks. As I take a deep drink from the mug, smooth cinnamon, gingerroot, clove and honey instill me with the euphoric warmth of a medieval, summer morning, and I close my eyes, lean back, rest against the oak, & breathe in the world around me.

This is my Mead Moon :D I love to use either L'Occitane Honey massage milk, Lush Mange Too massage bar or Lush Nutts massage bar to moisturize with before I slather this on...all those scents blend beautifull with this.

Oh, and did I mention this lasts for-freakin'-ever???

Edited by mothglitter

In the bottle: Honey, lemon, and a hint of ginger.

On my skin: This quickly becomes vaguely-honey-scented baby powder. WAHHH. It has good throw and lasts for EVER, so I think I'll let it age for a few months and test it again.

Nnnnnnnrrrrrrrrrrr. I am SUCH a honey-lover. Hhhooooonnnnneeeeeeeeeeyyyyyy. This is a deep, slightly dark, thick, rich honey that's reminiscent of Honey Moon without the florals. The spices support the dark honey but don't distract attention away from it, and the end result has me making ecstatic growly noises at my wrist (how embarrassing!). So good.

In short: This is everything I wanted Litha to be... and more.

I am absolutely astounded at how much I love this blend. I have been searching high and low for the perfect honey blend. Litha was a jumbled herbally mess on my skin. O smells nice on me, but is much more amber/vanilla. Osun smelled like old honey powder, in a bad way. Honey Moon was just unremarkable flowers with a faint honey backdrop. Hony Mone has too much flower and powder. And every other honey blend I tried just wasn't THE honey I wanted, no matter how much I liked the scent otherwise. I even looked to other brands and the closest I managed to get was Arcana's Queen of Crossbones, but it wasn't quite what I wanted.

Enter Mead Moon. Oh honey perfection. My love, my darling. It's rich, it's golden, it's sweet, it's intoxicating. The other notes are present, but they are a supporting cast that rounds out and completes the honey. It's not skewed towards lemon, herbal, or spice. It's a perfect balance.

I am going to ask people going to Will Call to pick up more bottles for me. I never, ever want to be without Mead Moon.

Oh, yeah, fairly strong throw and normal wear length.

10/10.

This didn't thrill me too much, but I'm actually happy about that. After reading all of the raves, my heart was sinking because I only got one bottle. Then I tried it last night. Honey baby powder, with a smattering of herbs when wet. Memories of my childhood, when my brother was a baby, and my mom used to take us for walks to the neighborhood honey factory. Yep, we actually lived within walking distance from a place where they processed, bottled, and sold honey. It's pleasant and nice on me, but not OH MY GOD NEED MOAR NAO! I'll be tucking this one away for aging and see what a few months does before I decide whether to unload it. Normally, I make up a little sprayer a day or two after I get an oil, but I'm waiting until it ages before I do that this time around. It's just *that* pleasant-but-not-thrilling to me. On the up side, it looks like this one already has a cult following, so it should be super easy to rehome this bottle.

On first application, this is almost single-note honey on me. On dry-down, it goes softly amber-powdery, though the honey is still very strong. I'm not sure how I like this by itself (she said, huffing her wrist like a maniac) but I have a feeling it will combine nicely with something that is spicier or more resiny. I will experiment and report back!

In bottle: Very faint. Honey and a wisp of lemon and spice.

Wet: Smells a lot like Dana O'Shee with a bit of a spice and herbal kick.

Dry: Wow, now it smells quite a bit like Lush's Afterlife moisturizer, which I use and love the scent of. Cool!

Verdict: A keeper for sure. I adore the honey, grain, and herbal goodness of this blend. :P

I shoulda known better.

Beth's honey note has never smelled right on me. It turns fake, like some kind of powdered honey. I didn't even get any of the spices. It just smelled soft and grainy -- almost making me wonder if I got Hay Moon in a Mead Moon bottle. I've already given it a to a better, more appreciative home. :P

in the bottle: whiff of something... I fear

wet: BABY POWDER

dry: RUBBER and BABY POWDER

and I could not get it off. :P No honey, no spices, no lemon. Blech. It must go.

In the bottle, Mead Moon is alarmingly... powdery. And on the wrong week, that powder could go FOOM with my chemistry, I bet. But right now, having applied liberally, I'm sitting in a glorious cloud of HUNNEH. :D There's a warm sticky element up close, a dead ringer for this hard honey candy I remember from childhood trips to England. The throw, though, is highly perfumed - I'm betting it's the gruit, a lovely mishmash of herby florals with a hint of resinous rosemary. Oh ho, and that must be the sweet-briar, rose-but-not-rose.... I'm getting next to nothing in the spice division, perhaps just a trace of the nutmeg, but only because I know to look for it. No lemon, either. (ETA: Ah, wait, there it is - in the crooks of my elbows only, a tart, zippy lemon with very little throw... wow. It's a totally different scent here compared to on my wrists...)

I am on the fence about Mead Moon - it is a lovely, very nostaligic & old-fashioned scent, like some Universal Grandma's scented powder. It is strangely similar to Bastet on me, a heady combination of naive honey & womanly perfume... not my usual fare, but I can see reaching for this on very special occasions, when I want to broadcast an air of languid yet slightly innocent femininity.

ETA: Whoa. Several hours & a good bit of physical activity later, Mead Moon has shifted into a decidedly musky scent - honey musk, all sensual & dirty-like... the spices are starting to emerge, too, just a haze of ginger & nutmeg. I keep getting whiffs of it as I move, and it is deliciously distracting.... iiinterstate is right in comparing it to O - Mead Moon's drydown is what O aspires to be :P

Edited by tartchef

In the imp: Sweet and rich with an almost floral (honeysuckle?) top note. This is much more complex than all the "whoah, honey" reviews have led me to believe.

Wet on skin: A floral honey that is both sticky and light. This does not smell like a fruit honey (blackberry etc) to me, but more like an herb or flower blossom honey (something like a thyme honey maybe...nothing as distinctive as an orange blossom honey, but definitely a light, sweet, almost herbal honey). I don't get any of the gruit or spices yet, but I do get a whiff of lemon.

Early dry down: This is rich without being cloying. Although I don't get an alcohol note, I am definitely feeling the mead. The honey is tempered with enough herbs and spices to make this a more rounded scent, rather than just be sticky sweet honey. The rosemary note stands out to me as resinous and a little sharp, but it is blending really well with the sweetness. There is some fruit (from the gruit) in the bcakground at this stage, but I can't pick out an individual note. Instead, they add a kind of tart counter-point to the honey sweetness. If I was drinking this, I'd call it a dry mead rather than a sweet one. In fact, I just had a dry cyser (mead made with apples) at Coopersmither's brewery, and the aroma is remarkably similar to this. (I had to guess, I'd suspect apple in the gruit, but a very tart apple.)

Late dry down: As it dries, this develops a slightly powdery edge that reminds me of the amber in the Lion. It doesn't go baby powder, so those who hate the powder scent shouldn't fear. It simply gives a dry, soft finish to the scent. The herbs and gruit at the base have gone a bit bitter on me over time, but this is not a bad thing. Instead, they form a kind of bitter/tart base on which all the sweetness of the honey can rest. In the crooks of my arms (where the oil stays more moist) the lemon note is quite distinct and is a rich lemonaide note rather than a cleaning product. This is a lovely summer scent!

Just got my bit of this today, and from first in-bottle sniff, I ADORE it!

On my skin, it's like O's more sophisticated and complex sister. There's a lot of the honey/vanilla/amber yummyness, but the underlying spices and citrus keep it from being quite so one dimensional.

This is what I wished Honey Moon and Honey Mone would be on me. Next stop, emailing the Lab and seeing if I can get some more at July's Will Call!

I don't know why but this makes me think of Lughnasadh with honey instead of wine.

Also? Honey is usually horrible on me... but this is staying true and sweet, almost cloyingly so. I'm undecided if I love it or not but it is certainly the best honey scent I have come across so far.

Ok, I tested Mead Moon at Meet n' Sniff and I need to review while it's still on my wrist! :P It's almost pure honey at first, but with a slight touch of herby floral; my comment was that it's like O cleaned up for a date (instead of being her usual slutty self :D ). The drydown reminds me of Beltane--a complex bouquet of flowering herbs with the honey calmed down and in the background. I really like it but do not feel that I desperately need a bottle...when I want honey, I want O, in all her slutty glory. :D

Got a bottle unsniffed at the lunacy.

Bottle:Lemon Cookie. Lemony Sweet but to me

very sunny!

Wet on Me: lemon sweet, clove and then honey

Drying Down: Now there is spices over sweetness

with a hint of lemon. But all of that is over honey!

Dry:Honey sweet with barest whiffs of lemon and spice.

Stay/Throw:Not too long. But I get the occaisional whiff as I move my arm.

I like this. I'm not married to it. I think I found my first item for my first swap or sale posting.

Maybe it's me and my freaking strange skin, but Mead Moon and Honey Moon are practically identical on me.

That's not a bad thing--Honey Moon was my first BPAL OMGLOVE! And I don't have all that much of it saved.

So you'd think I'd be happy.

But I'm kinda disappointed. I wanted it to be less herby than Honey Moon. More Ambery, more flowery.

I still keep snorting my arm, so it's not all that disappointing...just not what I was expecting based on these reviews.

BTW, throw is strong and it seems to be lasting a good long while.

Edited by tarotgirl

In the bottle, this is very herbal at the top, with that rich honey base - very thick and golden.

On my skin, surprisingly, the ginger comes way up - it's not the hot, spicy ginger that I often get, but a sweet, effervscent ginger, like ginger ale. The honey has gone way down, and the background is primarily herbal.

When it dries, it's just thick, rich mead - with a faint touch of all of those spices. The more I smell it, the more I like it - very subtly sensual. (And I was still smelling it halfway through the next day!)

When I first put it on, this scent made me think of ginger chews and honey. The ginger smelled particularly sharp, almost like anise. It warms up very nicely when it's drying though, and it really does smell like a thick, herby/spicy mead. Gentle and smooth, but with a little kick.

It does remind me of Honey Moon, except that one went pretty floral on me, and this one is more herby.

Also, usually honey goes weird like play-doh on my skin (e.g., I cannot wear O), but not in this one. In this one it actually works. It smells very good.

I am so in love with Mead Moon it isn't funny. On me, it is rich honey with sprinkles of herbal goodness. On me, the drydown becomes...well...sex in a field to the point where I wanted to check my hair for grass.

Oh gods, YUM. It wears well and I'm still swooning from my wrist today. Brava!

Honey is the bane of my BPAL existence but I couldn't resist all the other notes. Where is the boozy mead? Where are my spices? Where are my beloved lemon and rosemary? What I have here is a bottle of Honey single note disguised as a bottle of Mead Moon. Smells of golden, glorious honey in the bottle, but on my skin honey just goes all funky. I'm gutted at the moment, but I may cellar this and see of the other notes will bloom. *crosses fingers*

Oh, how I wish I had bought more than one bottle of this. As soon as the package came, I tore off the bubble wrap and dabbed it on my wrists. Then I made my husband smell it. "Smell this! I love it!" I exclaimed, and he got that look in his eyes that he gets when I'm being a little too crazy about the BPAL.

It's pure, delicious, thick honey on me. I hardly get any of the other notes, and that is totally fine with me. I suppose I am getting the notes without realizing it, though, because it's a complex honey. Not just a bottle of clover here, no. It's rich and dark. I would bathe in this if I could.