Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Hay absolute, tall grasses, dry honey, mallow, cardamom, amber, and wheat.

Bottle: An intensely soapy, cologne-esque smell. I can almost taste the soapiness. Blech.

Wet: Hmm. Hard to pin down. Perhaps a very dry lemon soap, like one you washed with and the fragrance is just so barely on your skin. From about arm's length, it's got a nasty, tacky throw. I can still 'taste' it.

Dry: Still lemon soap. A bit sweeter, and it seems to be the amber, mayyyybe the honey. Oh I wish it were the honey. It reminds me of a lemon soap from Lush.

15 mins: Still soapy and lemony. Normally by now the honey or any of the incense would come out, but no sign. The soap is just too much.

5 days later: No, really. Same wrist, and I don't think I'm imagining this. I must've re-awakened the oil lingering on my wrist. Now it's the same nasty tacky soap/cologne smell. Time to scrub with more alcohol. Yeesh. Edited by LiberAmoris

This one is pretty amazing. It smells just like hay to me. It smells like i'm on a hay ride. I would definitely want to wear this in the fall. It's more of a cool weather scent in my opinion.

I also think it's more masculine. Hay itself has a bit of that cologne-y tinge to it. This would probably smell amazing on my husband. I also don't mind it on me and I usually tend to steer clear of scents like this. Fall is my favorite season so that could be why this one is so appealing to me even if it's not my usually profile.

Cardamom spiced amber with thick golden honey. Traces of grass and wheat linger in the background.

It's dry, rich and very warm. :wub2:

Bottle: Tall, reedy grasses; honey; I think cardamom?

Wet: Fresh-cut grasses with a touch of warm amber.

Drydown: Honey wheat. I smell like yummy bread. I'm not sure I want that.

Dry: Honeyed amber. What ho, a honey blend that works on me???

My rating: 4/5 This is a blend for when I want to feel like Cleopatra.

This is another scent that I am glad I was on my way out the door when I applied it. It started out smelling like sharp green scent of hay. Great. I so wanted to smell like a barn.

And then it morphs. It sweetens and deepens and leaves the barn far behind. No sharpness, only honey and amber.

*contented sigh*

In the bottle: mostly honey, with a hint of sharpness that I usually associate with strong florals, only without the floral note. That's intriguing.

Wet: Incense. I know there's no frankincense listed, but I'd swear that's the only thing I smell right off the bat. With huge throw. Okay, that's weird, but nice.

Dry: Ah, finally. Spiced honey amber. I get some hay in the background -- warm, fluffy, dry hay without any wetness. I get no green-grass at all. It took longer than I expected to get here, but it is a lovely scent. At this stage, it doesn't have a lot of throw, but I do get wafts of it as I type. Lovely, lovely, lovely.

This was a gift from my wonderful Switch Witch, and I am so glad to say that I love it!

I probably should have reviewed this when I first got it. I only vaguely remember that back then I didn't like it because it smelled too grassy. It doesn't smell like that anymore now that it's aged.

Now it smells basically like straight-up amber, with a hint of dry grassiness.

Having grown up around farms, I'm very familiar with the scent of hay. Also my dogs love to visit the chickens in my mom's barn on her farm whenever we visit, and my car smells like hay for days afterward because that scent is in my dogs' fur. (Some people probably wouldn't like having the inside of their car smell like a barn, but it's a comforting scent to me.) This smells nothing like that. If I ever could detect a hay note in this, it's completely gone now. I tried rolling my decant around to make sure the oil is mixed up (it's been sitting there for a long time), but nope. Still just amber. A slight hint of some kind of bready-wheat-like note when it was wet, but it still dries down to amber.

While i have this scent for 2 years, i havent even reviewed it and i even have 2 bottles!

To me this is so much ultimate summer scent, it just takes me to a warm summer day, wearing a white long summer dress, walking on bare feet in a open field filled with tall grass, where you can see the parts floating in the air from dandy lions, a soft zooming in the air from bees, ulitmate stillness.

This is what i get from this scent :D it's just a scent that takes me away... yes for 2 years now!

From the bottle: herby, tiny bit sharp.

Wet: smells like lemon grass.

Dry down: Dry glowing, cozy, hay, warm and sunny secnt, cant make a better discription then this :heart: i loved it when i got it and after 2 years i still love it, perfect summer scent or for a relaxing day when you want to feel the sunshine :heart:

This is a review crossed with a story, with a strong dash of "different people's chemistry".

This is a beautiful blend on me, all grasses, hay and cardamom - love in a bottle, even if it fades quicker than I'd like.

I wore this to the horse races this weekend (who doesn't need a little extra luck on a full moon... and I had a bit of success!! ... but that's not the story).

The story is that I brought a wee decant with me, and my friends decided to try a little on themselves.

One friend - Hay Moon immediately went to sweet, dusty powder, straight up, no change over time. :(

The other friend - Hay Moon blossomed into a heavy spiced amber. Gorgeous, but she wanted the hay.

I've never seen anything react so differently to different people's wrists before. Pure chemical alchemy. And also luck.

Such promising notes – amber, honey, cardamom, hay – and I get floral soap. Remarkably reminiscent of “Country Life” soap, so perhaps there's something rustic-themed that the two have in common, but... it's soap.

And a nasty undertone of something mouldering beneath it. Erk. :run:

After only an hour or two, with the decay-smell coming and going all that while, it disappeared almost entirely - leaving behind a hint of amber and sweet grass that weren't part of the scent before.

Well, Hay Moon, I didn't like you either.

Purchased a bottle from the wonderful Morgstress! I've been dying to try this blend for ages, so I'm really excited I can finally do so. (:

In the bottle: A little sweet, a little grassy, a teeeeny bit astringent, with something rich/deep lurking. Pretty nice but nothing I'm thrilled with. Let's see what it does on my skin.

Wet: Oh my, this is a very soft blend. It's sweet and has this... this... organic quality???? It's like. I don't know. I'm a bit stumped as to how to describe it. I mean, simply calling it "grass" or "wheat" won't do because isn't quite grass or wheat. I mean, they're there but there's more to it that I can't ascribe to the other notes. Actually, it could be mallow because I've no idea what it smells like. There's also a quality that's like... oh boy, this is bizarre. It's not aquatic at all but it's like... I'm sniffing a shallow puddle? If that makes sense? It doesn't smell like a puddle, it's more of the sensation I'm getting when I sniff my wrist.

Dry-down: Much of the same, though it's getting softer and that bizarre puddle sensation is fading a little (evaporating?).

Dry: It's very, very soft. If I stick my nose right on my wrist it's a pleasantly powdery sweetness that's very yellow and a bit grassy, but if I hover over the area it's just this vague sort of perfume.

Further on: Oh, hello honey! Nice of you to join us! The throw kicks up just a wee tiny bit to accommodate the honey but otherwise nothing much has changed. It's still super soft.

So, uh, that was a crazy test run. I'm certainly baffled by that wet stage. I probably sound insane with that shallow water thing but man, I've never smelled anything like that before. It's like the perfume had this really crazy scent texture.

I think I need to do more tests before I pass a verdict.

[EDIT]

I just noticed that I spilled a drop of oil on my shirt (my white work shirt :() but it smells pretty amazing! Sweet grass and hay and amber, mmmm. This would be perfect for a scent locket.

Sorry skin, you and Hay Moon can't be roommates but you can be next door neighbors, ok?

Edited by tharsei-thanate

Bought this from the lovely KawaiiKai! :D

In the Bottle: Quite sweet and perfumey. I think I can smell the hay. This actually reminds me a lot of a (much) lighter and sweeter Chanel no 5, or some other such highclass, sophisticated perfume. I like it :).

Wet: Still perfumey, but the dried grasses are coming out and that sweet hay note is still there.

Drydown: This is golden smelling, and slightly sweet from the honey. The amber is doing it's lovely slightly powdery thing, and the dried grasses are swaying in the breeze. The hay must be mingling with the dried grasses.

Verdict: I like this a LOT. It's a little sweet and powdery, and the dried grasses are lovely. This really makes me think 'highclass expensive perfume' for some reason. I never get a WOW this is HAY moment with this perfume, so it's a little different to how I expected/hoped this would smell, but nonetheless, this is beautiful and I love it.

4.5/5

This is a lovely, light scent. Green, light grasses with a hint of florals up top, similar to Pa-Pow, which is a favorite of mine. The dry down is similar--a clean, herbal woody scent. The Hay Absolute is a slightly dusty, dried grassy smell with a hint of lemon. Kind of like Jean Nate body wash, only a bit creamier.

4 out of 5. Not blowing me away with how amazing it is, but highly wearable, lovely, and what I've come to expect from The Lab.

Really excited to try this! I love cardamom, and am drawn to try anything with that note. I am also expanding my BPAL horizons - the other notes are ones I would have steered clear of previously. Love the label art too.

Wet: Sweet, light. Interesting! A floral honey note, hints of dry spicy cardamom, and other notes I am not familiar with but am really enjoying! This feels like late summer. Beautiful so far.

It is starting to get a little soapy, not in an awful way, but I am hoping that fades.

Dry: This is light, and sort of ineffable. Beautiful. Golden fields, late summer sun. More of a scent experience than anything. This is really special, glad I nabbed a bottle. I will cherish it.

Starts off fairly sweet, with softness from the mallow, a touch of spicy cardamom, and a little hay. The grasses, hay, and wheat become more prominent as it dries. Light, golden, and dry. I can almost feel the dry hay it is so lifelike. The honey and amber add a warmth and natural sweetness. The mallow and cardamom add a spice and airiness that adds interest. Absolutely gorgeous and I am so happy I could find a bottle.

Dry grass or wheat in the bottle. Goes on as dry grass with a touch of powder (the amber). Something sour underneath. The powder is the strongest note. The sour and powder continue as it dries. Not even sickly honey. Blech.

Acquired via swap. Bottle has been resting at my house for something like a week. 

In the bottle: Hay absolute and grasses. 

On my skin:

Wet, the grasses immediately spring forward, with hay and honey emerging a bit more slowly as supporting notes. As it dries, the grass settles back, the hay comes forward, and the mallow starts to come out. The more it dries and develops, the more the mallow, honey, cardamom, and amber come out on me. It's not really what I expected from a Hay Moon perfume oil, but it is absolutely lovely, so I'm not disappointed.