Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Hay absolute, tall grasses, dry honey, mallow, cardamom, amber, and wheat.

Hay Moon reminded me so much of Satan With Sin & Death (lemony tea) so much that I tried a sniff-off.

Hay Moon on dry-down becomes the dry and toasty scent of baled hay, Satan retains more of its lemony-tea vibe.

Although the initial lemony phases of Hay Moon are fine with me, you do need to hang in for a while before getting the actual hay. Think of it as bribing your pony.

It's a win (by a nose).

It reminds me of something familiar but I'm not sure what, unfortunately it goes all powdery amber on me:( It also reminds my husband of Skin So Soft or "bugspray"...

ACK.

All I get is amber now...I'm missing the grass and mallow:(

1.5/5

Edited by writergal969

Bottle: Very golden, lots of kinda powdery amber, a hint of gold grasses and a bit of honey and spice. Very harvesty, but light, and not harvesty in that spicy/apple scent that we usually expect. Likey!

Wet: And extremely resinous/incense like amber (think jacobs ladder or inez), with gold grasses and a nice little twist of cardamom (mmm, love cardamom!) predominantly an amber blend. Very golden, and lovely. There’s also a light citrus quality to this.

Dry: mostly a powdery, golden, lightly spiced amber, very resinous . I wish there was more spice! Later, this is a really dusty, resinous amber incense scent, slightly sweet, very powdery amber note. Reminds me of Jacob’s ladder.

Overall: Nice, and I enjoy this, but I have several similar blends that I enjoy more. Onto swaps!

Hay Moon

In the imp: pollen, hay, mimosa? It’s a bit powdery and dry, but definitely hay-scented and golden.

Wet on skin: oh, this reminds me of something from Nocturne Alchemy! It’s reminiscent of their sand note, and I love that!

Dry on skin: gorgeous! This smells of golden hay mingled with desert sands, or at least, it evokes that image. Dry, golden, warm, sunkissed. I also smell hints of pollen here, like mimosa pollen or maybe grass pollen (good thing I’m not allergic!) and the amber here is shining underneath it all. I don’t smell much honey or cardamom, but I do smell grains, like wheat. And the scent still reminds me of NA, with that sandy and golden feel to it and a hint of papyrus and Egyptian musk, but this one is a lot more powdery, the dustiness here is reminiscent of the Ifrit. This scent is very, very different to Bezoar, whilst that had an amber-balsam note and a lot more hay, this is cleaner in scent, powdery and yellow and evocative of dry climates.

After a while: the scent doesn’t change too much, it does become a bit more powdery and dusty with time. I also smell a more defined hay note, but I’m surprised as to how powdery and sandy this smells, hot and arid, this is summer, but it’s more like a dust bowl than a ripening hay scent. I like it though, how heated and dry this smells, really desert-like, and even a tad smoky, almost bringing to mind fires in the tinder-dry vegetation…yup, it’s the scent of an August heatwave! The drydown is a bit like Scarecrow, but sweeter, less like oily straw and more like dusty grain.

Verdict: this was totally different to what I expected. I was expecting something along the lines of Scarecrow, but softer, mixed with Bezoar. What I got was an unexpected but interesting scent of dry golden dust and pollen with hints of grain and hay. It’s arid, almost desert-like, but there’s also something almost floral to it. it’s very powdery, a little too much at times, but when it becomes a subtle sandy dusty scent with hints of amber, I really like it. I think because it reminds me of another perfume from another company, which I love, that’s why I’m quite fond of this, even though it doesn’t smell at all like I was expecting it to smell. I just wish I got more cardamom and honey from it…

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Yes.

If you like this, try: Scarecrow, Bezoar, Ozymandias, Ifrit, Viparlabda, Sunflower, Dog Days

Hay Moon goes on grassy--smelling of a hot summer wind over a field of yellow dried grasses. For a bit, at first, it's almost lemony in character.

After a few hours, it's a clean, grassy scent with (unfortunately) a touch of the "scorched grass" that I seem to get from most green or grassy scents.

After a while, though, it sweetens up again (the scorch goes away), and the scent has become a clean-smelling one, less green now, but still with some of that dried-grass quality to it. Definitely an aptly-named scent!

Recaplet: Hot dried grasses that dries to a clean summery scent.

My rating: 3 of 5 (Nice enough.)

Color Impression: The gold of hay.

Yikes! Super hot, dry, dusty grass and pesticide?

I can't wait it out...get off me!

I don't think I've ever had such a negative reaction to a scent! Weird..

In the bottle – Something dark and green like vetiver, but very, very dry

Wet on me – Soft, warm hay, smothered under what I’m convinced is vetiver

Dry on me – I’ve done this without looking at the notes, but I can’t get away from the bitter earthy scent that my nose interprets as vetiver

Overall – Not for me

When I first tried Hay Moon, I found it somewhat flat and musty, but it has a better side. It seems to do better when applied heavily (usually I dab) for some reason. It has a pleasantly rural, rough quality about it which neither smells good nor bad. A hot barnyard sort of scent. And it smells a little like India-- I've never been to India, but I guess what I mean to say is that there's a sort of exotic, charred incense impression about it that reminds me of the smell that hangs around scarves or tapestries imported from India.

Hay Moon reminds me the slightest bit of both Morocco and The Little Sparrow, which makes me think I might be getting a whiff of sandalwood? Interesting.

I knew I'd like Hay Moon because I adore Serge Lutens Chergui, whose dominant note is hay.

Hay Moon is a warm, earthy hay. It's definately a skin scent, and not very heavy; while it would be nice in the autumn, it's also perfect for a humid summer evening.

I can't give it top marks, however. Though I like Hay Moon, it merely smells like one chord of Chergui, which is far more deliciously complex.

What I'd give for a Hay Moon lotion/bath oil though! :beg:

(And btw, MOAR HAY SCENTS NAO PLX BETH :wub2: )

The reviews mentioning a lemony quality had me scared! Luckily I was spared that experience. But Hay Moon does seem to depend on skin chemistry. On my fingers it does indeed smell sour and fades fast. But on my wrists it is completely different. At first there is a slightly dry and sour hay scent which quickly fades and develops into a very pleasant dry amber scent. Good thing that I love amber! And it even behaves and does not smell powdery. The cardamom does not stick out either, an other thing that had me worried.

I like it.

being a midwestern girl, i was really looking forward to this one and hoping for a yummy, sweetish, genuine hay scent.

unfortunately, on me, this is nothing but super sweet baby powder from the get-go :(

This is a very summery scent indeed. The hay and dry honey provide a sweet herbal feeling and the wheat adds a grainy feel. This is soft and warm. I like the cardamom here, providing a little spice to make things interesting. The throw is a little powdery, but up close the powder falls away and the complexities of the individual notes come to light. I really like this, and it's comforting too.

I was really excited about Hay Moon, and grabbed a bottle of Mead Moon because I thought it was worth a try. I was completely wrong - I love Mead Moon but Hay Moon (which I thought was a pretty certain bet) does not work on me at all.

In the bottle: Sharp, soapy cologne.

On my skin, wet: Soap and cologne.

On my skin, dry: Soap. Not floral soap, which is how things normally go soapy on me, but still soap.

I kept this until April in the hopes that it would age differently, but no.

Love it !

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

Hay Moon is one of my all time favorite BPAL.

On me, its sun-warmed fresh mown grass and sun-dried hay in

a light summer breeze... its wonderfull, golden and absolutely perfect.

I addicted my best friend with this one...:D

She is from Iraq and her skin is a bit darker then mine -

when we both wear Hay Moon, mine is warm grass and golden hay and on her skin

it turns into a "sexy as hell all afternoon sex in a haybarn" - sort of scent... :lol:

the difference is amazing and glorious!

I never noticed SUCH significant differences in one scent -

its amazing.

We both adore "our own" Hay Moon... :D

IN THE IMP: Oh, this smells exactly like hot, dry hay. There's also a hint of warm spiciness, which must come from the cardamom and amber.

WET: Dry hay and spicy amber with a touch of sweetness from the honey.

DRY: This one doesn't morph much on me. The spicy and somewhat sweet amber amps and gets stronger, but the background is still hay. Not my kind of scent, but this was really interesting, I've never smelled anything quite like it.

780751527_gFnKt-Ti.jpg

When I first received this blend, I found it to be a light and pleasant summer-night smell which was quite enjoyable. It was very well-named, evoking a freshly mown hayfield when sniffed, a lovely perfect summer smell to help send one to sleep.

Last night? Not so much. I don't know why, but last night Hay Moon turned to cologne on my skin and caused an explosive series of sneezes, wheezing, and coughing. It's as if I developed allergies all of a sudden...and I've never been allergic to anything before. It's a mystery... Edited by stellans

In the Bottle: Slightly sweet with a sharp grassy tang, but it's not a strong aroma.

Wet: There's amber, mmm! I can smell a bit of honey that disappeared too quickly. In fact, it seems like the entire scent disappeared too quickly! I put on did twice as much as I usually do and I still barely get the hay, though there's a hint of lemon now.

Dry-down: Five minutes later and it's a little stronger than before. Now I'm getting just a hint of spicy cardamom. The lemon has almost completely faded and the amber is getting stronger. After ten minutes, I've got sweet, spicy hay and it's abso-freakin'-lutely lovely. One hour and fifteen minutes later, what's left is very, very light. This didn't last long on me at all!

Final Thoughts: NOOOO!!! Stick around!!! I will keep the imp and forever weep over the fact that such a wonderful scent (Sweet! Spicy! Hay!) gets eaten by my skin even when I put on twice as much as usual :cry2:

Edited by ahoythere

I was lucky enough to snag a bottle off a forumite. Yay!

In the bottle I can't really smell much of anything. It's a soft, almost watery and slightly sweet smell, but very faint and vague. I was a little worried at this point.

Wet, I have two experiences here. On the day of arrival, (also placed on the back of my hand)this was quite bright and lemony,with powerful wafts of dusty amber. After resting for a couple of days (and placed on my wrists), the lemon is completely absent. This now starts off with a sweet, golden, creamy amber scent. I catch the mallow very strongly here at the beginning, giving a slippery, creamy note that is a joy.

This dries down to dusty golden amber and a slight whiff of hay drenched in early-fall sunshine. It's warm, comforting and light, but with strong staying power. It does take on a slightly powdery tone, but one perfectly suited to he other notes in this blend. Gorgeousness!!

The grassy, sunny hay absolute note is recognizable from Needle in a Haystack. It’s so fresh and summery, and the honey adds a touch of sweetness that complements it nicely. I can also smell a little bit of wheat. No cardamom here, and I’m not sure what mallow smells like. This is like summer in a bottle, it really has the ability to lift your spirits on a cold and gloomy day.

At first, when this is wet, there seems to be a sharp lemony undertone, but give it a chance! I was a little wary, afraid it would go all lemon verbena-ish on me...until the drydown. It just turns into the most wonderful honeyed-golden-fields scent...the lemony undertones go away and the honey intensifies with the drydown. This is absolutely wonderful and the perfect summer scent for people like me who don't do scents (i.e. pina colada) that are stereotypically "summer". :wub2:

In the bottle, there's an odd astringency to Hay Moon, but once it hits my skin it transforms into a lovely, warm, dry-grass scent that I absolutely adore, sweetened by the honey and amber. I'm tempted to scrub the testing scent off my other arm and slather myself in sweet warm hay. Definitely hearkening back to late late summer when it's just dipping into fall. What a lovely scent. I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more love.

This reminds me of standing in a hay field on a hot day. Well not exactly because this has some sweetnees to it because of the honey and amber. I had a decnat and fell like this willbe great for next summer.

hay moon has broken my heart.

it has all my favorite things and smells like none of them.

:(

Yeah, me, too. 9:

Me too.

I was excited to try Hay Moon because I thought it was the hay note in Gunpowder I was loving so much. Mmmm.... but it's not.

Edited by strahlend

:::HAY MOON:::

This one is certainly very nice...The whole notion of Hay Absolute was very much intriguing. The fragrance of newly mown Hay is very nostalgic, hearkening back to a more pastoral time in life; before the turbo-development of the area between the Inland Empire and Palm Springs area of Southern california... Times when there were still agricultural science courses offered at the local High School, and when it was actually kind of hip to be a member of 4H or Boy Scouts or something.

This is very well on it's way to becoming a favourite! This had none of the scratchy, dustly aplomb that accompanies the Straw that happens to ordinarily tag along with baled hay...This is creamy, golden, sweetly green fragrance of the real McCoy.

While there were some mild misgivings about the Cardamom note (Cardomom? With Hay? Really? Why?), it now makes perfect sense, actually drawing out more of the hay's true essence with it's tangy and subdued spiciness lending the perfect, glowing contrast.

The label was super endearing; upon getting a whiff of this fragrance, it's easy to see how it would give a spectacular, creepy edge to a Halloween Scarecrow costume.

It is hard to imagine what this smelled like fresh from the Lab; the bottle being used in this review was stumbled across being auctioned off on eBay for peanuts and a sing along, so resistance was futile!

5 out of 5! BPAL is amazing!