Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Hay absolute, tall grasses, dry honey, mallow, cardamom, amber, and wheat.

Hay Moon

In the Bottle:
nothing - no smell at all. :P

On My Skin, Wet:
AMBER - the best amber note ever!
it's not dry at all - something I was expecting from this lunacy.

On My Skin, Dry:
More amber - so lovely and warm and golden.
it's a little bit drier now - perhaps the wheat and grasses coming into play?
lovely amber and a touch of something that reminds me of the death of spring and the birth of fall.

Verdict:
9 of 10 ranking!
this is far more soothing and golden than I was expecting.
from the concept I was expecting a rush on the Claritin. Thankfully not ^_~
Well Done!

It`s the dry and golden smell of South of Italy at 4 of a torrid summer afternoon, I can smell a hint of cardamon only putting the arm very closely to my nose, but who cares, we are in the middle of summer and it`s a perfect scent. Even with no throw at all.

On me this is mostly honey and dry grasses. I can feel the amber but to me in this blend it seems mostly to amplify the Honey. If I stick my nose very close something comes out feeling a bit peppery. While it was still wet the lemon was threatening to take over but it has settled down quite a lot.

On the boy it smells like bug spray.... And this was the one I figured I would pawn off on him if it didn't work on me. Fortunately it is quite pretty on me.

Edit to add: the longer I wear this, the spicier it seems to get.

Edited by AuroraLlew

All I'm smelling is amber, amber, amber. Which isn't a good thing, because amber is one of my no-go notes...

As it dries down I think there is some hay absolute blending into that amber, but not enough to tone it down.

Edit : still amber, and fading fast. *Sigh* Other people got lemon, hay, and even honey out of it - well, it was worth a try...

Edited by Deidre

In the bottle: Virtually colourless. Dry, cardamom-spicy and smoky. Bits of grains and grass, but it's more like scorched hay fields. Masculine. Copal-ish.

Wet: A bit sweeter and softer, the hay and mallow and wheat come out to make this deeper and richer and more rounded, less sharp. I can detect a light (and indeed dry) honey note, and the hay is gorgeous. The amber adds warmth and a bit of sex appeal. Grasses and cardamom are greener and fresher.

Dry: The cardamom has amped to be the strongest note, and is itself quite complex - spicy, sweet, smoky, aromatic. As you would expect, this is a very very DRY blend. The hay comes behind the cardamom, in strength, and these two overwhelm the other notes, other than a bit of slightly powdery amber.

Later: The honey has amped up, as has the amber, while the cardamom has softened, so that these three notes and the hay balance each other nicely. The grasses, mallow,and wheat are mildly detectable below, and have taken on some herbal characteristics (the mallow?). Much more balanced.

Summary: A dry, warm, slightly spicy and smoky, rather masculine blend. Sunburnt grasses and deep warm hay, rich fragrant cardamom, softly powdery amber, light herbal mallow and nutty wheat. The honey note is very faint and not particularly sweet. Good throw and lasting power.

Not my style but a lovely blend!

this one was not quite what i expected

it started off as grass - like walking through a field of semi-dry tall grass - wow!

but then after 10 to 15 minutes the amber, cardamom and something else create quite a unisex to masculine - an "i just got out of the shower after using guys products" kind of scent - and stays like this for another 1 & 1/2 hours...

and then i get excited because the honey and dry grasses appear and make this quite amazing and complex, momentarily...

however, then the amber and cardamon take over again and i'm left with the post-shower masculine scent with only glimpses of my dry grasses

i will put this away for a couple of weeks and see how it develops

I went to my expert on this, having never smelled a lot of hay myself..

"Outdoorsy, fresh, green...but not hay to my nose."

I, myself, get greenery. Fields, even, from what I remember smelling. But fresh isn't a word I'd use to describe it.

It's still up in the air if I like Hay Moon.

I excitedly ordered two bottles of Hay Moon, hoping for a wearable honeyed-hay concept. Then the reviews started rolling in talking about lemons, bug spray, and soap, and I literally cried (I've been pretty fragile for the past month, lol). I love the artwork, love the concept, love the list of notes. But I tend to hate lemon scents, and I don't want to smell like bugspray.

I shouldn't have worried, though, because Hay Moon is fabulous on me. I'm actually sad that I could only afford two bottles.

When people say that something smells like lemon Pledge or lemon wood polish to them, it normally smells like sharp, harsh, sour, unbearable lemon to me. I love lemon pledge. I've loved that soft, sweet lemony smell ever since I was a little girl. I've polished furniture for fun my entire life, because the cleaning and that smell relaxes me.

Hay Moon has that sunny, sweet, soft lemon and clean, polished wood smell. Soft, sweet, and comforting to me. The amber and other notes all mingle together to give this a sunny, relaxed, lazy feel. It's exactly what I wanted. The smell of hay and barns is nice, but not something that I would want to wear. This gives off an impression of lazing about in sunny, hay-filled barns and sunbeam filled rooms of polished country wood furniture. A bit dry grassy, a bit sun-touched wood, a bit of lemon wood polish, and just the right touches of sweetness.

After about an hour, this is still going strong and getting better and better, and it smells dead-on like dry hay on my skin, but with other notes making it wearable and so summery and gorgeous.

Hay Moon reminds me of being younger & living in Missouri. It's a great, sunny summer scent.

Edited by Little Bird

Bottle: Hay & grass on first sniff. Like a

grassy meadow in late summer

Wet on Me: Lovely grass and hay with the

amber quietly coming out to play.

Drying Down: Grass and amber now with

the spice of the cardamom joining the fun.

Dry: Crisp clean grass with hay and it is all

softened by the amber and spiced gently by the cardamom.

This is the love. Glad I managed to get a bottle of this.

I detect balsam and citrus. Maybe some wood and dry hay. A little tea-like. Somehow, I'm reminded of freshly polished wooden church pews warmed by the afternoon sun.

It's a summery, hazy, late August kind of scent.

And for once, the honey behaves itself for me! :P

(eta: I wrote this without looking at any other of the reviews--and I'm relieved that I'm not the only one that gets polished wood in this! That means my nose is not entirely off. :D)

Edited by Stephanie

At the beginning, this is like green hay. It's got that green plant smell and it's definitely hay. Makes me think of my in-laws barns and fields. And it dries to this floral like amber. White floral to be precise. Interesting, but not for me.

In the bottle: grassy and slightly astringent

Wet, on: overpowering, perfumey, oh gods, what have I gotten myself into?

Dry: gorgeous sunshine-warmed hay, it smells sunny, if that's possible.

Verdict: LOVE. This is a happy scent :P REALLY glad I waited through that minute-long horrible perfume phase. It was definitely worth it.

Hay Moon is liquid sunshine.

Amber heavy with a touch of earthy, grassy, softness and yes... there is definitely a touch of lemon there but it stays nicely hidden behind the amber and grasses...

Basically, this is the scent of sunbathing at barton springs when you're supposed to be in class on a March afternoon...

I quite like this, but I do think it's a bit outclassed by Mead Moon. I first tried Hay Moon and Mead Moon at the same time (different wrists), and really loved Mead Moon (it's such a match for Lush's Honey Trap!) but wasn't blown away by Hay Moon. I only put a little dab on each wrist to re-test it, but have been really enjoying it. It starts off as quite a green scent, like cut grass waiting to dry, but sharper, but as it dries the honey comes out to play, the grass turns to hay, and it ends up a warm, gentle, sunny scent, with little wafts of honey, lemon and mallow. My biggest problem with it is that it doesn't have much throw and goes away quite quickly. I put a load more on to see if it was a case of quantity, with the same results.

Someone, somewhere compared this to Coyote. I definitely agree with that assessment, though Hay Moon has spice instead of musk.

And so, with my love of Coyote in mind, can I just say that I ADORE Hay Moon. It's not as flashy as its drunken counterpart Mead Moon (which is also love), but it is such a comfortable, lovely, earthy scent--and completely true to its name. The cardamom adds a gorgeous dimension to the dry-grass smell, while that honey is a just-barely-there natural sweetness.

Sniffing my wrists evokes images of sun-slanting late summer afternoons walking barefoot in fresh-mowed fields, careful not to step on the neatly shorn rows of stubble, scaring up waves of grasshoppers.

Excellent wear length (it somehow lasted through an entire shift at work, while I was sweating and washing glasses) with about average throw.

In the Bottle: Spicy amber and hay. Lovely! Soft and golden!

On the Skin: Honey, cardamom, and lemon with a warm amber base. Mmmm! I like this one!

After a While: Very consistent - honey, cardamom, lemon, and amber.

Verdict: Love it!

Hay Moon - Hay scents never work on me, but this one isn't as unpleasant as most of them. It's definitely a hay and grass scent that reminds me a lot of the golden summer prairies around my home, but the hay/grass scents are tempered by the sweetness of golden honey and mallow combined with the dry, powderiness of the amber and the slight hint of spicy cardamom. It's a really pretty scent, but still too strong on the hay/wheat/grass notes for me to wear as a personal fragrance. It's also very light on me and fades incredibly fast.

Wet, this reminds me of Van Van ALOT!! It's that same kind of herbal lemon...it's yum.

I don't get any honey from this whatsoever, which I think would have added a nice touch and made the kind of sharp lemon a softer edge.

Anyways..at it dries that changes..and it now turns into something that similar to Scarecrow..that kind of dry, grassy smell. Must be the Hay Absolute. But..where Scarecrow has a slight perfumey note to it. This is much more basic and true to the overall idea of the scent.

This is definately something very different..and I'll be keeping my bottle to wear randomly and see how I feel!

Edited by ouch!

Sweet and golden hay, yes, but a big part of this is conventional woman's perfume to me.....unmistakably feminine. If I concentrate and pick it apart I start to smell the individual notes, and I like most of them. Maybe it's the honey that's putting me off, not exactly turning on me like it usually does, but still sweet and almost like powder. This scent is better off with those who love it, and I'm glad I trusted my decision to not get a whole bottle.

hay moon has broken my heart.

it has all my favorite things and smells like none of them.

:P

Yeah, me, too. 9:

This was the scent that ended my BPAL virginity and I was really excited about it. I grew up on a horse farm and one of the scents that makes my memories of home fire up is the scent of dry grass and hay. Now that I'm stuck in Chicago for school I was dying for a whiff of the farm, so it made me really sad that all I got was cardamom and amber on the initial drydown. I thought "huh, maybe this is just a very poetic perfume company". Later though I could have jumped for joy because when I hopped in the shower and it started to wash off I got it!!! Hay absolute and dry grass! So maybe this one just needs to stay on me until it has almost faded for me to get those beloved notes but I'm really looking forward to testing it again.

The bonus was when my husband smelled it and asked "What are you wearing?!??" before tackling me :P

I must have insane skin chemistry because for the most part this doesn't smell much like hay or dry grass on me. I do catch that scent a bit in the bottle, but once on my skin it changes so quickly. Even in the bottle, the hay scent is vastly overpowered by a scent that makes me think of clean skin and maybe light cologne. The first time I tried it on my skin, I was thrilled because it reminded me of the way my husband smells when I kiss him right after he steps out of the shower. (I should add that he doesn't use those stinky men's shower gels, just oatmeal soap, so no worries that this smells anything like Axe or Old Spice!) A bit masculine for me, but still yummy.

The second time I tried it? Straight to baby powder. I was horrified, but it wasn't the cloying, sickeningly sweet sort of baby powder scent, so after a minute or two of waffling I decided not to wash it off. Which was fortunate, because a few minutes later, BAM, it morphed completely and I smelled like incense and fresh air and dry grass, with the distinctly churchy incense being the strongest note. It reminded me very strongly of Sundays in late summer or early autumn when I was a little girl, coming out of church with the smell of smoky, resinous incense still in my nose and smelling the sweet, dry grass and slightly damp and cool fresh air. Sounds like an odd combination, and definitely unexpected, but it was intensely nostalgic for me.

Of course, I have no idea what this will smell like the next time I try it.... :P

I loved Needle in a Haystack from the Halloweenies, but this hay... is less sweet and more stale. It smells like an old, wet bale of hay on me :D . Which is sad because on others it must smell heavenly :D

ADDED 11/23/09:

So I found myself with some of this from a recent swap. Wet in the bottle....Fresh and powdery.

Drydown: I don't know how Beth does this but she put fresh green Hay in a freakin bottle. It's wonderful...I just don't know when I will wear it. :P

This is the first time I bought a bottle unsniffed. Am a horsey person so had high hopes.

Put some on this morning and it was mostly lemoney. Tried to hold back disappointment. Please no, let this work for me! I left for my appointment and when i sat down in the bus caught a whiff coming up from my cleavage. OMG YES MMMMmmm!

For me it takes a while to settle in and for the lemon to back off, but then I get a gorgeous late-summer-outdoors hay and grass scent. Comforting and sooo good.

It actually reminds me rather strongly of The Lion (one of my faves). I'm so pleased with this scent!