Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Othello

Arabian musk with two roses and a bevy of Middle Eastern and Indian spices.

:P I got tempete's imp of Othello and it didn't work for me either. I was hoping for more rose from this but I got mostly resinous musk. I think it might smell pretty nice on my boy but he'd die rather than put a rose scent on his skin. Moving along!

In the vial, I'm not sure I would have detected the rose if I didn't know it was there. Othello has floral notes, but they don't seem overly rosy. As it dries down, it gets a little powdery, but the underlying spiciness prevents it from being too sweet and light. Eventually the rose peeks out for a minute and the spiciness intensifies. Now I see how a man could wear this. Oh, this is really nice! Spicy and warm. Definitely a keeper. I'm going to put it on Mr. Gin when he gets home. :P

in the imp, othello smells divine! like a very sweet spice shop.

when i put it on, it is a beautiful, creamy rose scent. .. surprising, since i expected it to be more masculine, and because i didn't get any floral from the imp. although i couldn't pick out the musk, there was definitely something solid backing up the rose and making it creamy. it was one of the best roses i've smelled. on my skin, i didn't get much spice, tho. . . disappointing because it smelled so yummy in the vial.

2 hours later, i can barely catch any of the scent on my wrist. . .just the faintest touch of lavender (?!).

it was nice while it lasted, but it wasn't long enough.

wow this one is strong, in the bottle it was light, i couldn't detect much

wet hello musk!

drying down it is becoming louder and louder, it is very musky, white musk the rose is soo soo faint which saddens me as i wanted it to be the other way around.

this one is masculine smelling to me, but i do not think i want dh to try it...gonna swap it away.

I haven't done one of these in a while, so bear with me if I'm a bit rusty. :P

In the imp: Arabian musk and Rose, a better educated, more worldly less heavy handed twin of Tiffany's Perfume. The roses and musk blend together beautifully... There's just enough spice. This is definitely Tiffany's more strapping, elegant

brother.

On me swiped on wrist wet: Musk, with a fruity rose water. There's a slight middle eastern confection foodiness to this. The throw is reminiscent of Middle eastern nougat... Sugary, creamy, rosewater with a hint of spice . The thrown scent is in the same category as Scherezade in that it reminds me of the holidays and special occasions. Closer to the skin the musk is more appearent, but still a rich warm creamy "special treats for special occasions scent". Only I'll be indulging in it frequently

Drydown ten minutes: No morphing at all, I love this, I love this, I love this..... Did I mention... I LOVE THIS????!!!!!!!!!! I want to eat my wrist!!!!!!!! I love this!!!

:D :D :D :D Beth.

Othello:

My first impression when first swiped on my wrist....wow. I'm liking this. Dark red rose underpinned by creamy musk. This is a very sexy rose fragrance, very adult and sophisticated. There's a spiciness underneath, but it's not an overly-foody spiciness. Mmmmm so nice. I feel as though I'm in a sultan's harem. :P

Othello is a gorgeous scent. So glad I ordered the imp.

Oh, this one is lovely.

In the vial, it smells like deep, rich hothouse roses, with just a hint of spice. I couldn't quite pick up the musk, but I suspect that's what's responsible for the "deepness" of the scent.

On my skin, both wet and dry, it's very much the same. It mellows a little and becomes slightly spicier and sweeter, but it's still very rich and lush and dark. I wouldn't classify it as masculine, but I suspect a man's body chemistry might be able to change it into something considerably different.

This isn't something I'd wear every day, but I will definitely be keeping an imp of it around, because in the right mood, this would be a PERFECT scent. I see it as a scent to wear when I want to feel powerful and sleek and just a little feminine.

Othello - A lab freebie that I had been dying to try!

In the bottle: Sweet and spicy, a touch floral - but no rose.

On me: The rose jumped out, but immediately went powdery. And that's how it remained, except the powder gained strength and the rose lessened.

This one was gorgeous, just not on me. :P

The rose is gorgeous, straight out of the bottle. It's soft, red and silky. In the background, there is a blend of spices that makes me think of bay, fennel and incense. From time to time the musk peeks out like a deep breath. This scent if pure beauty, and I wish I coudl make my husband wear it. It makes me salivate.

I've been wanting to try this one for a long time and was so pleased when I received it as an extra! Oooh, I do like it. Reminds me of something I wore when I was younger...damned if I can think of what, but Othello is gorgeous. I love Beth's musks, and this is no exception. It's light and airy and just plain lovely. There's just a whisper of pale spices and I can't really smell the rose in it at all, it's just so wonderfully blended in. I do definitely agree with some of the reviews that this smells like dryer sheets. So comforting and clean, yet not overtly a clean scent. I don't find it particularly masculine but you never know, it could work as a just out of the shower scent for some. Getting into bed with sheets that smelt like this every night would be absolute and pure bliss for me.

Although supposed to masculine, I find this very feminine and very flirty. Floral, creamy and soft. Light scent but stays for a very long time. I like this one a lot

Wet..musk! As it begins to dry, I get a slight tang. And then it's gone. Oh no, not another one my skin eats! Off to reapply.

Wet, more rose this time, rose and musk. I love scents that mix rose with something spicy, like rose and sandalwood, which is why I had such high hopes for this one. That tang is back...I am almost getting a headache from this. Odd, on the second application it's much rosier. As it dries the rose begins to overwhelm. It's a light rose, it reminds me of the damask tea rose oil I used to have. It's a very light scent; not strong at all. About an hour in the musk comes back. Now it's a beautiful rose musk blend, but I'm not getting any other notes. I would love this scent if it were stronger on me, but my skin just eats too much of it. I'm still looking for that perfect rose/spice blend.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5 (with 5 being the best) this is a 3 .

Edited by wickedgoddess

Othello

In the imp: whoa, this smells like a rich, posh perfume! This is a very 'perfumey' smell, very heady and floral. I can make out the rose and the musk.

Wet on skin: omg this reminds me of something my godmother wears! (she loves rose perfumes too) Because of this, this makes me feel cosy inside…it's a rich, heady, heavy rose floral, with deep exotic undertones.

Dry on skin: it's become sweeter but it's still similar to when it was wet, still that sweet heavy deep rose and musk. Very nice, very sumptuous and sophisticated. As I smell, the rose is getting stronger.

15 mins later: this doesn't morph on my skin as other BPAL scents have done, still retaining it's classy aroma of rose-musk, which seems to get more and more prominent.

Verdict: This is very mature, sexy, luxuriant and rich, heady rose and spicy musk. It's not masculine, for me, it's very feminine, very 'classy' like a posh French perfume. Reminds me so much of my godmother and a certain perfume she wears, which makes it even more special for me. But it may be a bit too 'mature' for the likes of me. I like it though.

I was looking forward to trying Othello because I imagined a deep, exotic, spicy scent mixed with rich roses.

Unfortunately, I got no spice at all. On me, Othello turned into an astringent floral. If this is rose, it's certainly not the rose that I enjoy in Kali and Wanda. It's way too sharp and "perfumey" for me.

I hope that Morocco or Silk Road will be what I had envisioned for Othello, which is now being swapped.

I got an imp of this from the lovely Cats. :D I had high expectations for this, and on first sniff I got this lovely masculine musk, not too heavy, just light and a little spicy. I swiped some on and...it went florally and ultra feminine on me in less than 2 minutes. Sort of like having a hot guy in leather show up on your doorstep, crack his whip...and then snap his fingers at you and start complaining about how your shoes are soooo last season, girlfriend.

Think I'll stick with Iago. :P

Othello on me is a powdery rose. I'm not getting any of the spices, just powder and roses. It reminds me of some pressed powder my late grandmother used to have that smelled slightly of roses.

It's very pretty, it's just not something I see myself wearing too often. I prefer the 'juicier' roses, like in Rose Red and Persephone. I do think Othello would be devasting on a man....

Strong, strong while wet. Dark rose for the first hour or so. After that, the musk pops, but I doubt anyone not near me could smell it. Masculine by the end, but deeply floral to start.

Othello

This was gorgeous on me - and incredibly subtle. A deep, spicy scent with a very faint rose note and a bit of a masculine quality - but not in an off-putting way (I normally don't like masculine scents on my skin).

It eventually developed a bit of a dry wine note - also very subtle. I'd absolutely love this on a guy - but I think I love it on me too.

It doesn't have much throw - I have to stick my wrist up by my nose to smell it at all even though I slathered it on.

I really like spicy scents - I feel very at home in them. This is the least blaring spicy scent I've ever smelled - I imagine someone strong & silent standing next to me, someone with presence and not a lot of unnecessary chatter.

It's so subtle that it's like the little bit of cologne you're left with after you've been with your boyfriend - the way your clothes and skin smell faintly and comfortingly of him.

Roses over a soft spicy bottom. A bit too subtle for my tastes.

This isn't masculine at all!

*plays with the idea of trying this on her boyfriend*

Othello is wonderful. I really did like it. It's very sexy and unique. That's why it's such a shame about the powdery note that overwhelms the rest of the scent. :P

Hello, rose! Othello is rose and spice with deep musk and heavy spice. It doesn't burn like rose usually does on me, and it smells nice on me, but I'm not sure I can keep it because the amount of rose might trigger me off again. :P

In the bottle: Very sweet, but not cloying, and dry, but not powdery. Seems a winner so far. I would not have immediately guessed "rose" from this blend... it's a definite spicy floral, but rose doesn't leap to the forefront.

First on: This is really subtly blended... I can't pick out any individual notes. It's delicious, though, and I do mean "delicious" in the "mmmfood" smell. Like a good moroccan restaurant.

Dry: More of the same. This one's definitely a winner.

A freebie from the lab. One I wouldn’t have picked out for myself, but I’m very glad it came.

In the imp this smells just like Dial soap, the original yellow bars. Right after I applied Othello, it starts out like the light clean musk part of Venom when it isn’t going bizarre and smelling of fem-hygiene products. I can’t really discern any notes from this other than it smells clean, but oddly enough not soapy.

After it dries a little, it is a teensy little bit spicy, but still pleasant. After a little more drying, it gets a bit sharp and I think I can smell something floral. It doesn’t smell like rose to me, though.

It seems like while this dries, it cranks up the intensity. I guess I shouldn’t have smeared it all over my arm, eh? It’s not overbearing, so it’s not a problem. I just have to remember to apply this with a light hand. Completely dry, this is warm and I can pick up on the rose.

Very nice. Was this intended to be a men’s blend? Because Othello makes me feel feminine and ethereal. Would make a great everyday scent. I think this one is going to be on my Top 10 list!

Edited by slugbait

mmm, lovely! this is probably my favorite rose scent so far (except for alice, which I don't think of as very rosey). like a sweeter, rosier version of morocco, this is gorgeous. not really very masculine but floral with spice... so I think that it can still work for othello.

I'm surprise at how much I like this!

I have to admit I didn't hold out high hopes for this, I don't get on very well with strong musk scents or strong rose scents, but I tried it anyway and I have to say how pleasantly surprised I was. Wet on me this was sweet and spicy, but not in a foody way. It's like rose petals that have been saturated in a sugar syrup so that they've gone crystalline. As it dried it became less sweet and more floral in its rosiness, but this is the rose of small rose buds rather that the more heady, blousy rose I get from something like Delirium. When it finally fades it does go slightly soapy, but on the whole this is a lovely blend and very feminine.