Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Lightning

Lightning slashing the midnight skies over the endless reaches of the ocean. The electric tang of ozone, marine notes, and a drop of sharp rain.

Lightning is a very nice, fresh scent that kept jolting me back awake on the bus to work this morning :P It's tangy with a hint of sharpness and very clean-smelling. It's not quite "me" enough, but I still might hang on to the imp.

Bottle (Imp): Ozone!

Just On: Ozone!!

An hour or two later: Ozone, with a tinge of something else.

Around 6 hours: Sweet? Sweet dryer sheets? Unusual, and quite nice.

12 hours: Okay, not so sweet, but nice dryer sheets. Just barely there.

Overall: What a great scent. I like it.

After reading other reviews: LIightning is indeed the small of the air as the lightning crackles through it, and the thunder rolls over you in a huge wave of sound. It fades down into a gorgeous dryer sheet fresh scent that I would love to have my clothes smell like (and I'm picky), and then just drifts off, like the storm that has passed.

In the vial- wow! Sharp and tangy ozone. I think that's nice.

On me- the sharpness fades into a soft ozoney floral, and it smells soooo much like Storm Moon on me. The wearing phase is much like the calm aftermath that follows a thunderstorm. The sharpness is over, and all is quiet and wet.

I really could have sworn I reviewed this one already. Hm. I guess I'm getting it mixed up with Storm Moon.

In the Bottle or Imp:

Bright, very much like Sea of Glass, a perfumey, sharp ozonic aquatic. Definitely not a seashore or breeze aroma, this is air rent by energy.

Wet, on Skin:

Gardenia and grapefruit to me, immediately, with a touch of green, plantlike aquatic notes. Very sharp, and reminds me of standing in an orchard or garden, the wet leaves around me shivering as thunder and lightning play above.

Drying/Drydown:

Oops. It's getting a touch of the dryer sheet here, but it's a dryer sheet that is crackling with power. Power, I say! Soften those sheets! Crack!

Over Time/Longterm:

Even with a reduction in overall strength, there's still a sharp bite to the fragrance. Impressive.

Final Verdict?

Maybe a touch too sharp for me, as excessive amounts eventually cause a slight headache. Not a salty ocean drydown like my beloved Kingsport.

I could've sworn that I'd reviewed this....

Lightning is rather tangy, but not citrusy to me. There's a hint of ozone and rain. It's slightly salt, but not too much so. It smelled like a wonderful ocean scent upon first application--gender neutral, slightly salty, tangy, and slashing rain. However, it gets a bit weird after that. It starts to give me a dryer sheet feel--slightly powdery and perfumey. I'm not so big on that. That's okay, though, because I have Sea of Glass to sate my ocean cravings. :P

Being the little Cancer crab that I am, I love all things ocean. This imp of Lightning did not disappoint! The complete ocean/ozone/wind/rain/salt mist experience is all here in this little imp. How they heck does the lab do it? :P

It is beautiful from wet application to drydown. It fades gradually, just like you are slowly driving away from an oceanside vacation. This may have large bottle status, and soon.

Wet on me this is very bitter lemon. Dry on me it's something else entirely, it really is just incredibly like a very heavy rainfall in spring when everythings in bloom. This is an amazingly clever blend, I doubt I will ever wear it again, but I'm greatful for the oppertunity to try it.

Ozone and aquatics don't seem to work on me usually. Lightning is all ozone on me. I smell like very crisp dryer sheets. It's very clean and sharp, and for some reason it keeps making me sneeze.

Decent staying power and throw, but I hate that generic dryer sheet smell. :P

In the vial: Cold, clean, and slightly soapy. It's very pure, sharp, and clear, like a glass of water.

Wet: My skin seems to darken up every single blend, and this is no exception. That cleanliness has turned the slightest bit murky. It's still very light, though. Soapy with a tiny bit of tang.

Dry: It's changed... but in a way that I can't exactly describe. It smells tainted, and darker. It reminds me of Febreeze, and I don't like Febreeze.

An hour later: Ew. That is all.

Overall: This is not the electric tang of ozone or the drop of sharp rain I had been hoping for. This is a strong and dirty soap scent that doesn't work on me and that I don't like, at all. Definitely going into the swap pile.

a review of Lightning

Vial ~ in the vial it is oh so wet with the slightest touch of ozone and

marine notes.

Wet ~ it has not changed much from application to my wrists, it does indeed

have this bit of salt in the air

Drying ~ still loud with ozone, to me it smells so clean, I have read others

compare it to a dryer sheet, but that is not what comes to mind for me

Dry ~ This scent is so clean and fresh, hmmm, I think I missed out on what

could possibly be a great summer scent

Fade ~ I haven't had it on that long to really comment on how long it lasts,

but as it is a light scent and generally those do not last that long on me.

Only time will tell.

Final thoughts ~ I would not recommend this scent to anyone who dislikes

ozone scents. However if you do, I highly suggest this one, it is fabulous.

Lightniing would be a great summer scent, hmmm, now all I need is some cold rain.

In the vial: clean and white. And you could smell this through a closed door. This is powerful stuff.

Wet: Sharp, with a white bite to it. Barely floral/sweet. Mostly ozone and maybe some rain.

Dry: still powerful as all-get-out. This scent is not the kind that you apply and get used to and think it has worn off. You know you're wearing this. It has gotten more floral, like white flower dryer sheets, only less "cheap" smelling. It's not powdery.

Fade: It hasn't really started to fade yet. I've had it on 9 hours now, and it's definitely less intense than it originally was, but still pretty powerful. It's not gone all powdery or anything, and the whiteness and the crisp florals are what dominate it for me. Maybe what I mean by crisp florals is ozone, but it's not the same smell as you get near lightining strike - that new air smell.

Final: I'll be keeping the imp, but not getting more methinks. It's lovely but awfully heavy for a light scent (if that makes sense at all!). This might be really nice on a sticky humid day, when the heavy fug of the air needs cutting and scents fade so fast between the water in the air and on your skin. Yes, definitely. I'll be hoarding this until summer.

I can't really fault this. It's very true to the description - salty air, lightning, the tang of ozone. If I were to stand on a hill and sniff an oncoming storm, this is what it would smell like.

It just does NOT work for me. It smells far too sharp and masculine.

To swap it goes.

Lightning is very clean. For those of you who haven't been keeping track of my reviews (which would likely be the bulk of ye), I :P clean fragrances. Is it my Virgo nature, or my desire for anything that doesn't resemble the stinky boys I live with? Who knows.

In any case, Lightning is a sweetly crisp, rain-drenched fragrance. I think there is some grapefruit or other sort of high citris scent that gives it a bit of sweetness and bite. The fragrance doesn't smell as floral as Szepasszony. This is a nice, clean rain oil that is bright and sharp as well. As the fragrance wears on, it does lose some of its crispness, but overall, the fragrance still smells like a sweet, early spring shower.

In its later stages, it smells of something very familiar, like some soap or room fragrance I've smelled before. Oh wait. It's the salty, ocean note that people have mentioned. Well, this isn't as salty as Jolly Roger, but still crisp and enjoyable. Wow. I used to be really opposed to "salty tang" scents, but now I might have to rethink my stance.

Lightning would make a fabulous room scent if you're into having a sort of crispness and freshness. It's definitely good here in Florida, when houses can sometimes get a bit musty due to the humidity. I can see myself buying a large bottle of Lightning for both home use and for making me smell all nice and shiny.

I'm very glad the Lab included this in my last order, and I'll definitely enjoy the imp until I get around to getting a larger bottle.

-doreen

Guest ExquisiteSiren

To my nose this smells like a very strong aquatic, with a sharp electric currant zapping through it.

Since I am a spacey, airy, aquarius, I do believe this feels like it would suit my character, though I don't see myself wearing this every day.

I wouldn't mind wearing this on a rainy seattle day just for the effect! It seems rather shocking ..and jarring to me me.

Perfect to stir things up.

I don't get lightning, ozone or rain out of this at all. It smells sweet and lemony with a bit of soap. Someone else said it was like something they'd clean their counter with, and I'd have to agree. It's not offensive, but it's not what I thought it would be.

This is a lovely scent, but not what I was expecting. To me, it smells like a white floral with some sharp notes thrown in. Beautiful, but more of a tropical garden than lightning or marine notes. What I really wanted was the ozone and marine notes, so I was disappointed. However, I found exactly what I wanted in Tempest --its description doesn't say anything about marine notes, but that's exactly what it smells like to me. On me, Lightning is a beautiful white floral with a bit of tang to round it out, so if that's what you're looking for, try this.

Imp: clean and, yes, electric.

Wet: a little salty, a little exciting.

Drydown: so this is what all those dryer sheets were reaching for and couldn't manage. This is great.

Worn: I don't think it's just my description-influenced imagination that makes this lightning instead of a gentle rain. It's wakeful, it's charged. And for all that it doesn't feel neutral, it's definitely not gendered. After the first rush of ozone, it becomes more like rain-over-ocean on me... which fits. There might be a faint whiff of floral/citrus, but really, it's more that it's clean.

Conclusion: I guess I do like ozone, at least when served up this way! Lightning is a scent I'd been interested in, but which had been a low priority on my to-buy list, since it's a big departure from my usual resins. Fortunately, the Lab gave it to me as an as-always-appreciated frimp. I don't know how often I'd wear Lightning, so I won't know whether I'll need a bottle or just another imp until this one runs low, but I really like this scent and it's my favorite of the aquatics so far.

Lemonish and sharp, like broken glass, but not sweet like Tempest. More like cleaning fluid (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). After drydown it goes to plastic on my skin, like a doll fresh out of it's box.

An imp I'll be trading, methinks.

Oro

Lightning is by far my favorite BPAL scent. It smells like the air in Florida right before a summer storm. My nose too itched at the initial smell as if it sensed the bottled electricity. I wear it all over. My skin, my hair, mixed with shea, I adore it. When I travel it keeps me from getting home sick. Oddly enough, some days I swear it smells like a My Little Pony fresh from the container. Something nostalgic about it. I certainly wouldn't categorize the My Little Pony scent as bad, it just shows how skin chemistry can effect scent and the depth of Lightning. I hope everyone takes the time to get to know this scent. I know with all the variety it can be hard to try everything, but this is truly a gem. Much thanks to its creator!

This is very intense, almost overpoweringly so, aquatic ozone. It has a very lemonish feel but I don't think there is any actual lemon in there; it's just an effect. I guess that doesn't make much sense --- you'll just have to try it to see what I mean. After a while it tames itself a bit, and I prefer it. Eventually it fades completely, evealing again the Dragon's Milk I put on yesterday (man, that's strong!). I believe it is immoral to layer Beth's creations :P but I do feel Lightning would benefit by layering it with something quite different --- something musky, resiny or incensey. I tried it once with Fire of Love and that was oddly wonderful

Lightning is absolutely true to description, a water-logged ozone. Although, it smells less like a bolt of lightning to me and more like rain. Water, in its many forms, has always been significant to me (to start with, I was born in Seattle!) so I love trying all of the Lab's water blends. I just am not so much about smelling like water, so I tend to use up the watery blends in 'ritual' or when I'm writing.

This really brings back memories for me. If the Lab could only add a slight chlorine note, this would be my teenage years as a summer lifeguard encapsulated. There's a lemony/musky edge to this that is almost like sunlight in water. I used to spend hours watching the current scroll in water when things were slow; Lightning reminds me of dappled water and the peacefulness that accompanied it.

It's very hard to describe Lightning as so many notes are vying for my attention.

My first thought was rain and wet vegetation, but it's sharp too, almost tangy like a citrus.

Once on my skin it has a creamy undertone that constrasts nicely, and the rain scent smells more and more like the air before the storm (so very true to it's 'ozone' description).

This is one of those scents that I am undecided on, and therefore fascinated with. One minute I think it's not for me, the next I love it!

It's definitely a scent for keeping you awake and on your toes. I think I'll wear it for my late night essay writing sessions, and see how it goes. :P

The ozone wafts out even when I open the vial. It's not strong, really, but it's pronounced, and very reminiscent of the air before a storm. As it dries, however, it turns to dryer sheets on me, powdery and aquatic. It makes me want to sneeze.

In the bottle: Sharp, ozoney wetness. Very energetic.

On my skin: Nice for an aquatic scent, but not for me.