Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Lightning

Lightning slashing the midnight skies over the endless reaches of the ocean. The electric tang of ozone, marine notes, and a drop of sharp rain.

I got a sniffie of this from a generous forumite in an order recently -- yay for pleasant surprises! I love ozone so I knew I'd like this one, and from what I could tell, it's almost like an ozone single note. Very summer storm-y and very light -- it's almost a "non-perfume" on me, in the best way possible. I think I need a full imp of this one so I can slather properly and decide if a bottle's in my future!

Got this as a frimp. Wet: crisp clean ozone without getting bathroom scent smelling. Dry: very similar to wet stage, but with a slight green, lime scent. I really like this one especially when you are trying to not smell too strongly (business, hospital settings). Throw is medium, I can smell it when I move. I will keep this, but not too sure about a bottle though.

This smells a lot like Sea of Glass in the bottle, which bodes well for me. I think it's the whole "aquatic citrus" thing. It stays "Sea of Glass" for a bit after going on. It does smell a bit different as it dries. Very sharp and bright white. It's more intense and ozone-y than Sea of Glass, though it's still very similar. I guess they share a lot of notes. I like this one. It's a keeper. I think this one's found itself a "forever home."

In the imp: This smells like this chill in the air before a storm over the ocean. I can't really describe it any other way & it's incredible that they managed to capture this scent!

Wet on skin: The chill is gone, but the ocean & impending storm are still there. Not quite as ethereal-feeling as in the imp, but still amazing & evocative!

Dry on skin: A soapy version of how it smelled wet.

After a few hours: A little faded & slightly less soapy, buy about the same as dry.

Verdict: Absolutely stunning at first, but the soapiness makes it smell less like a perfume & more like a laundry detergent. It's still nice, but not something I'd wear. I'd love to try this in a scent locket though!

My very first Full size BPAL bottle was lightning. This a sharp, fresh, and clean sent. At first it smells like a flower garden after a heavy rain storm. Definitely has a ozone rain smell with some florals. Then after awhile it morphs into an storm charged ocean breeze scent that is amazing if your a fan of the ocean.

Imp: Very similar to Sea of Glass only with less of a juicy fruity scent. It's sharper.

Wet: Sharp bittersweet clean florals.

Dry: Very pretty soap. :(

It's not a bad scent. In fact, it's very pretty and clean. I can imagine many people wanting to smell like this but I already have enough lovely smelling soaps. I'll keep the imp and likely wear it a bit, but right now Sea of Glass is still my top contender in this category.

Wet: Lightly floral and aquatic.

Dry: Much of the same. I love the name of this more than the actual scent. I do like it, just not certain I would wear it. It might be nice in spring. For now I'll keep the imp.

Ozone all the way. Very clean and light.

Dry: Soaping up on me, which I don't hate. Doesn't quite live up to the name I think.

This one stays the same for me in the imp, wet, and dry. Ozone, fresh rain, and bitter lemon peel bringing the electricity. Beautiful and fresh.

Bottle: A citrus spark -- the "tang of ozone" is there. Behind that, a little sea breeze and blue-purple floral tones that remind me of an essential oil mix I have called Rain.

Wet: Zingy lemon-lime, blue-purple floral (like lilac but less depth) and the sea. A summer storm over sea.

Dry: On me this doesn't change much and the storm passes in a couple hours.

A fun one. I likey. 

This was bitterly offensive to my nose. It reminded me of Unforgiveable. They don't really smell the same, but they share ozone as a note. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that ozone is not my bag. It reminds me of the chemical soup used to clean grungy pools. Unfortunately, just like with Unforgiveable, once I caught a whiff, it was the ONLY thing I smelled. Headaches and nausea ensued. Not a keeper for me. I'm passing it along to the man who likes things like this along with the dire warning to never wear it in my presence.

In the imp: orange and fresh laundry; it smells like a day at a beachside park

Wet: orange and lemon and very marine

Dry: the lemon overtakes the orange and there is still a marine scent fused with fresh laundry which becomes more dominant with time

I surprisingly really like this, though not necessarily on my person because of the laundry smell. I do think it would make an amazing room scent for spring and summer though and I may have to pick up a full size bottle in my next order for this express purpose. It's such a fresh, clean scent.

Meh. I liked Windward Passage better for a stormy ocean scent. This one is a lot simpler on me, I think I'm just not bringing all it's notes out well with my chemistry. It's got pretty good throw and lasting power though. It is ozoney and fresh, but also a bit minty on me somehow. Sometimes I like mint, but in Lightning it veers a bit toothpaste-ish on me. The water is only very slightly saltwatery but not as ocean-like as Windward Passage. It's not as intense as I was expecting; it seems more toned down than, for instance, Hurricane. I wanted to like it based on the description but there are other similar scents I like a bit better, this one was too subtle for my taste.

In the imp: pure ozone and aquatics.

Wet: Something... is going bitter? Some sort of floral maybe? I'm not super thrilled about it. The rest of it's good though, like standing on a beach as a storm rolls in.

Dry: Doesn't change much, just becomes a touch soapy. It's both stronger and less scary than I expected. The lightning cracks, but it doesn't come down and strike anything.

This feels more like an atmosphere than a wearable scent. Judging by how many people are comparing it to Sea of Glass I may have to give that a try next.

The kind of scent you'll find in an "Ocean Mist" or "Sea Spray" candle. A very gentle aquatic, which is GREAT because I usually despise aquatics, and a wee bit of ozone. I agree with Soupy Twist saying that's it's snowy and sweet.

Smells like the taste of fresh ice water.

This has, in true aquatic fashion, turned into a bar of soap on me. So clean, slightly salty, soapy ozone. I could smell some orange in it at first, but that quickly went away. It also has a fresh laundry feel to it after a while, making me wondering if there are some floral notes at play here. I can smell the rain note, but I wish it were without any soapiness. Not horrible, but not something I want to smell like.

My friend that loves aquatics will probably enjoy this, though.

In the imp: Ozone and aquatic, like salty sea air. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's definitely salty aquatic. I can almost picture seaweed along with it. As it dries, I get something that smells decidedly like lily, with just a touch less sweetness. (If I had to guess, I'd guess lily -- it's quite prominent -- with another note that cuts the sweet floral edge.) Given time to develop, the lily note becomes both more distinct and stronger in throw. 

The longer I leave this, the stronger -- and more lily -- this becomes. 

It's a little strange since ozones and aquatics don't usually work on me, and neither does lily. But it's a little surprising that an ozone or aquatic doesn't work on me because lily.  

I bought a fresh imp of this from the lab.  In the vial, I would describe it as "fresh."  I'm pretty sure I detect some citrus.

After applying 2 wand-swipes to my wrist, the citrus scent is completely absent.  It turned into a gentle lily with a hint of Dove Beauty Bar.  Once it dries, it evolves into a scent that I can't describe with any other smell I can think of.  If the smell was a color, it would be dark blue-grey.  Something about it is sort of murky - I think it's the saltwater.  After about an hour of the "blue-grey" smell, it turns into wet grass. 

Overall lifespan is about 3 hours.  This is wonderfully evocative and I believe that it would be unlikely to offend anyone, even the harshest perfume-haters.  It remains fairly close to my skin and undergoes an interesting transformation over time.  I don't know if I'll spring for a bottle of it, but I do think it's very interesting.

Wet and initially as it dries this reminds me of a more sophisticated version of a bath&bodyworks spray I had ages ago, that had a waterfall or something on the label. Extremely fresh smelling. Threatens to go a bit soapy the longer it's on, but stays largely consistent. I'll reach for this more in hot weather when I want something cooling, but maybe in small quantities as I suspect it will bother my sinuses in large doses.

What a scary aquatic: Fresh, crisp, clean, bold! I get lots of fresh flower stems and/or lilies (you now, that smell you get when you walk into a flower shop).

It's a white and green scent with something very tart underneath. Could be a stark grapefruit and maybe the white fluff on the inside of a citrus fruit peel.

During drydown, the blend mellows out a little. The florals are less harsh, but the tartness remains.

The whole blends now reads as very dark blue to me for some reason - maybe I am thinking of the deeep ocean?

Yeah, it's more of a marine than a lightning scent for me - I am missing sharper notes like mints or eucalyptus or tea tree to give me any electric vibe.

I'm not getting any ozone unfortunately.

Not my cup of tea at all - off to the swap pile. :)