Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Lightning

Lightning slashing the midnight skies over the endless reaches of the ocean. The electric tang of ozone, marine notes, and a drop of sharp rain.

I got this for my husband, and on him it smells faintly citrus/ozone-y, like clean laundry with a soapy finish. He doesn't like it on him at all. On me, it it smells like the same, minus the soap and add a little sweet. There is a nose-tickling item in it, also, for me. I like it more as a linen scent than a perfume oil.

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a word or two: Lemon soap.

In the imp: Mint soap?

On skin, wet: Soap! Soap and... lemon. Definitely lemon. Smells of something I'd clean my kitchen counters with.

On skin, dry: The scent becomes warmer, so it becomes warm lemon soap. I don't smell anything else now, and even the mint is gone. Definitely not a winner.

Conclusion: I don't like smells like lemon soap, so not for me.

Edited by Aredhel

Lightning:

Wet: Whew! Ozone. Reminds me of Storm Moon.

Drydown: Summer afternoon rain. Thunderstorms. Cool breezes.

Long-term wear: Not for me, sadly. A nice scent, but it turns soapy on me after about 20 minutes. :P

Edited by anmorata

In the bottle: I know what you're all saying, "Why are you bothering with more aquatics. They never work." My answer is that I want them to work, and I keep trying. :P Very ozone with some salt and yes, rain. Now this is what I had envisioned Thunderbird smelling like. It's sharp and kinda salty with a definite ozone, water note to it.

Wet: Ozone and water. The salt has mostly faded to the background. This is clean in a differnt way than the tea and lemon scents are clean. This is...brisk water.

Dry down: Those "marine" notes are coming out now. Kinda weird and salty with a lot of ozone packing power in it to go along with the ozone. I don't know about wearing this, but it would be a fantastic room scent.

Dry: Ozone, water and this odd, salt, spice scent in the background. It's like...it reminds me of the ship themed bathroom my aunt and uncle have in their house. Kinda cool but not really my style.

First sniff from the bottle- Dryer sheets times a million.

After 15 minutes- I knew I wouldn't like this one but thought I'd give it a try anyway. My gut was right. This smells like Irish Springs soap and Downey dryer sheets. With lemons on top.

Summery- No go. This one is getting swapped.

To me, this is a damper Storm Moon...actually, more like an amalgam of Cold Moon and Storm Moon!

The ozone is softened by the marine notes, which surprisingly don't smell *too* much like fabric softener. This smells like the tail end of a storm...love the damp, crisp air scent =) I really do smell the rain!

LIGHTNING (A complete review)

As I woke up this morning, the pouring rain reminded me I picked a great scent to compliament it for testing.

Imp Sniff: Airy. Zingy. Watery. Rain in a bottle.

Wet: Whoever said this smelled like a Yankee Candle was only half right. The other half reminds me of my current favorite 'fume "oceanus" by Body Shop. I suspect its a combination of both. Then again I also like Ocean Water/Storm Watch - whenever possible I have those burning in my living room.

Color impression: Blue. All the way from navy blue-grey sky down.

Other impressions: If it were not raining already, I would still say this is a perfect scent for a Friday. Reminds me a bit of Seattle (mm home).

Drydown: Quick, but doesn't seem to be fading as fast as Yeveran did on me. (It makes Yeveran look like it did a drive by on my skin and the first exit off the highway.) Smells very clean. Refreshing.

Later in the day: Would put this in a roller for quick dabs towards the end of a long work day.

Cat test: She has no current opinion, but considering she's probably used to the other scents I don't feel like dabbing some on just for her to check it out. Will test her on it next time I wear.

Initial impresions: Well, good thing I inadverdently ended up with two imps of this! :P May try layering this with "oceanus" at some point. Wondering if I layered it with a coffee scent if I could replicate my mental Seattle and thus, be where I'm too far from.

Edited by pensive

On me this is So. Very. Citrus. It's the citrus-y aquatic come back to haunt me with a vengeance. I was hoping for the kind of ozone from Storm Moon, but for my skin chemistry this was not to be.

I just bring out the citrus in everything. If you do too, then Lightning may not be for you.

In Bottle: Ozone extreme, very airy.

On Skin: Pretty and strong ozone. Very marine. I still don’t think this scent smells like rain thoguh. Every time I smell real rain it’s very earthy and wet where-as this scent is so fresh and laundry like. I like ozone scents, but don’t like to wear them. They’re a bit too soapy for me. But it would be a beautiful air freshener or spray for your closet. I also think it’s a bit masculine… soapy scents remind me of Irish Spring which is masculine to me.

Lightening was a gift from the Lab, and I so appreciate being able to try this fragrance.

This is quite a strong, bracing, head-clearing scent. Not rainy to me, but definitely crackling and ozonic. I get a lot of citrus here, and bright, young greenery. Extremely fresh; I think this is going to be a fantastic scent to wear in high summer when I want to feel cool.

Lightening is definitely a unisex blend. I really like it, and I'm going to enjoy wearing this imp!

Bright, fresh ozone, and more ozone. This scent is almost overwhelming in that it's so strong and although not neccessarily 'clean' smelling in terms of a freshly cleaned item, it's more the 'clean' that the cleaning industry loves, the kind of clean that slaps you on the face with freshness.

I like it... but I had to tame it down with Cold Moon, it's too strong for me, even with the littlest of dabs.

I'll think about swapping it or not. Maybe I'll grow to like it more.

Unfortunately Lightning is THE example of all the notes I don't like in one blend...

Also, It dissapears in about 1 minute from my skin. It's rare to find a BPAL i really don't like but I suppose lightning is the one :P

This scent is like a giant crack of lightning and thunder, and then fades into a rainy, stormy scent. It has that electric, almost marine ozone tang to it, and the cold scent of fresh water.

I'm not sure I would wear this alone. I want to experiment, layer this over some warmer, maybe floral scents. But I think it is a gorgeous creation, and smells exactly like the name.

In the bottle, Lightning is alarmingly sharp and soapy. It's beautiful, but it prickles my nose.

But once I put it on, it mellows, and it's simply BEAUTIFUL. It's almost identical to the way it was in the bottle except without the intense sharpness of the soapy smell, so I smell soft and clean. A perfect scent for right when you get out of the shower, and definitely a keeper.

Wet - floral, perfumy ozone.

Dry - it get a bit more aquatic but it gets more perfumy too. Now it just smells like a dryer sheet. I think for the most part, ozones and aquatics aren't for me.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 1.

I've been looking for a clean aquatic that's not too biting and this I find perfect for it, a bit mellow, very clean, and not headache inducing. In fact I was feeling a bit queasy today (I think from something I ate) and the smell of this made the nausea go away. :P

In the imp this smells like the typical artifical ocean smell found in commercial products. When first applied it is sharp and sweet. It really reminds me of some bathroom air freshener from my childhood. I was hoping this would smell more electric and metallic but instead it just smells like fake ocean to me. Oh well.

In the bottle: This is a lot stronger than I was expecting. My brain was going Water=watery but it is a very intense fragrance. There's citrus, lilac... and something that my mom used to buy in a body oil for sunburn. Dang it, what was that stuff? This is delish.

First on: More of the mystery scent. Is this what everyone means by ozone? Am so ignorant about notes. Still very nice, but almost eye-wateringly strong on.

Dry: It gets a bit more subtle dry, but it still has a good strong fragrance with lots of throw. Weirdly, I use a deodorant with a "Water" fragrance, and when I applied it after putting on Lightning it smelled much more sweet than normal. Lightning is definitely intense.

Overall: Lovely! But I might try diluting this one down and making a body spray or lotion.

First Impression: Fresh, clean and wet - with a hint of something tart - lemongrass maybe? I don't think it's sharp enough to be lemon. Reminds me of the way the air smells at the beginning of a storm - the part where you can see the lightning in the distance and hear the thunder and the rain hasn't arrived yet, but you know it'll be here soon.

Dries down to: A nice clean scent that would be great in the summer. Seems to have good staying power on me, too.

Lasted: About 3 hours.

Rating: 3 out of 5

This is a very watery, cool, slightly tangy scent on me. I don't know if it captures the smell of a thunderstorm since I rarely experience those, but I think that it embodies the idea of lightning very well. I don't usually go for the fresh scents, but I like this one enough to keep around for when I feel like something different.

Reminds me of storm moon...but I think I actually like this better. It doesn't go to soapy and mild on me like storm moon does. (storm moon turns vanilla on me)

I am glad since this is a catalog scent. I am soooo getting a 10ml of this when I order fruit moon.

If you like linen, clean, citrus scents then this is perfect.

In the Bottle: Strong ozoney smell.

On Skin: This is sharp and tangy, still with the ozone smell. It smells very sporty and masculine to me. It kind of reminds me to Irish Spring but with a richness to it.

On Drydown: This is a nice, clean scent. I find it very appealing.

Verdict: This strikes me as a good room scent. Or a good scent to mix with unfragranced fabric softner.

I've been sort of leary about this one because I don't think of myself as a watery or ozone scent type of girl. Glad I got to try this out as a free imp from the lab. Thank you!

It does definitely bring out the association of a storm, thunder, and lightening, perhaps at the ocean or on a beach. It is nice, but I don't think it's really me.