Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
puck_nc

L'Inverno Bath Oil

Stargazer lily, white musk, winter orchid, white grapefruit, fir needle, star jasmine, citron, and mint.

Text on Bottle:
Passar al foco i di quieti e contenti
Mentre la pioggia fuor bagna ben cento

Translation via Wikipedia:

Before the fire to pass peaceful,
Contented days while the rain outside pours down.

Origin: Straight from the Trading Post

Initial Thoughts: I almost never take baths; our tub isn't long or deep enough for a good soak. That was one of the reasons I hesitated over doing the Inquest. But I saw someone's suggestion about massaging the oil into one's skin in the shower before a final rinse and thought that was a good idea.

In the Bottle: The fir needle is prominent, making me think "winter" and "chilly" right away. The musk gives it a gentle sweetness and something adds a lovely unexpected zing...probably either the citron, grapefruit or mint.

In the Shower: As I was applying it I got a lovely blast of cool floral and gentle musk. It was a great pleasure to rub this all over and bask in the scent.

After the Shower: My skin is beautifully silky-soft. The scent is almost non-existent, but I get the faintest whiff of fir and floral. I will have no trouble layering this with other scents.

Verdict: Okay, now that I have a use for bath oil, I'm going to have to take another look at the Trading Post's offerings. And I am going to thoroughly enjoy using L'Inverno as long as it lasts. Edited by Shollin

Ah, sheesh. How have I not reviewed this yet? I've taken like four baths with this oil since I received it. This is significant because, well, it's summer, and in the summer, I tend to go on a hiatus from taking baths. But L'Inverno is just that refreshing and good.

Of the three L'Inverno items in the Inquisition, the bath oil has my favorite scent. The fir doesn't dominate it whatsoever. Instead, I get a big pile of really chilly lilies and orchids, with a heavy dose of icy grapefruit. Though I've just told you that I get a big pile of flowers out of it, I'm going to follow that up by saying that it doesn't really smell floral to me. It's a bit floral, a bit citrusy, a bit pine-y, and a LOT clean and refreshing. It smells cold and crisp and clean.

It smells so good in the bottle that I have to take it out of the bathroom as soon as I pour a bit in the bath... otherwise, I'm afraid I'll end up dumping the whole bottle and have one gluttonous, wonderful, but sadly remorse-inducing bath. Mmm. Gluttonbath. Anyway!

A little goes a long way with this oil. I'd say I've been putting maybe a capful of it into my bath, which causes the scent to persist for at least an hour long bath and cling faintly to me afterwards. I combed a tiny bit of this into my hair after one bath out of reluctance to part with the scent... and my hair smelled like heaven for the entire rest of the day.

This... this is good stuff. I'll be so sad when my L'Inverno bath oil is all gone.

This is pretty much straight snowy fir on my skin. There's a creaminess there, the musk I think. I'm not getting any grapefruit, but it's still lovely. Very light and very cooling.

With the perfume: like stopping by the woods on a snowy evening. I feel transported to a chilly winter forest. Even though it was hot and humid, it's like a cool breeze running through the room. Amazing.

This comes across as a very gentle and sweet winter fir blend; fir needles, snow, sweet light and white winter florals. The white musk really adds beautiful element to this. I also get a hint of the grapefruit and mint which keep this a brighter winter scent, yet still sparklingly serene and wintry.

Wow, no citrus for me. I used this directly on my skin as an after shower moisturizer. When I opened the bottle, I thought "Oh no! Eau d'cat piss!" But I guess I'm too used to cats and slathered up anyway. Immediately, softly feminine Irish spring, with a hint of star gazery pinkness. This is fresh and clean!

This bath oil is my favorite product from the L'Inverno set and my second favorite item of all four inquisitions (my favorite-favorite item is L'Estate atmopshere spray :D).

In the bottle, this smells like sweet pine and a slushy snow note. I figured that the pine/fir note would disappear in the bath water and on my skin, but it doesn't. This actually smells a lot like Mistletoe to me, but a bit brighter and with something extra adding some complexity underneath the scent. I'm not sure if it's the citron, the musk, or the mint, but there's a note adding a bit of extra zip and brightness to the fir.

Unlike the other bath oils that I've tried, I didn't need tons of this oil to strongly scent my water (I like a lot of fragrance). I used about half an ounce and felt like I was bathing in a frosty pool in the middle of a pine forest. Awesome.

The oil left my skin feeling silky and with a light scent of sweet, cool pine. I immediately got out of the bath and dabbed on some Mistletoe perfume oil. After the bath, the bathroom still smells strongly of snowy pine and the fragrance is drifting out through the house. So lovely :P

Sniffed only:

Deliciously icy florals - the stargazer lily and orchid jump right out, pure and white and feminine, accentuated by rich, heady, slightly soapy jasmine. The fir is piney-evergreen but gentle, not pine-soley, and with the light mint (barely detectable), adds a gentle coolness. Citron is notable, and beyond sour, zesty white grapefruit. White musk spikes brightly as it does in the perfume oil, but without the unpleasantly harsh hairspray edge it has there. A bit soapy, but quite pleasant. Closer to the room spray than the perfume oil.

Ah, for me this is fir needles and icy white florals. I don't get the citrus/grapefruit angle at all. We used a goodly amount in the bath - and it was like winter rising up to meet you. It's chilly (not cold) but rather the cold, glittery chill that you get right after it snows. What I smelled most prominently were the fir and the white florals.

A little goes a long way. Very fragrant, very moisturizing. And this morning, the scent still lingered. Love it.

Hmmm. Aquatic grapefruit and some evergreen. This is very interesting. Nice and cool. I look forward to using this in my hair next summer.

L’Inverno bath oil

In bottle: a chilly champagne/white wine scent with a hint of something soapy and clean.

On skin: I applied this to skin after showering, once on the skin, the floral notes bloom. I can smell white lily and jasmine now. The citrus notes of citron and sparkling grapefruit also show up. the grapefruit is chilly and effervescent, giving an impression of champagne here. I can also smell the fir, which gives the scent a cold evergreen touch. This is quite different to the perfume, which had a definite snow note to it, this lacks the snow note, but has a different kind of icy tone to it. the scent is very clean in tone, almost soapy. At one point it resembles Spiked Punch, which I disliked, and goes all sharp and almost smells like toilet cleaner. This stage is thankfully short lived. The scent then turns into a pleasant soft floral with white musk and cold fir. Almost like flowers covered in frost, delicate beauty with a piercing sharpness, like shards of ice. But ultimately, this scent isn’t for me, as it returns to that sharp soapiness a bit later. Not my thing, I’m afraid.

It's really hot today, and all my perfumes are volatilizing off my skin, so I decided to apply some L'Inverno oil both because the oils last and last on me and in the hopes that I'd cool me down some. Freshly on the skin, I smell what I think might be the citron and mint together. It was kind of a blast, like realizing that yes, winter has arrived and all hope of warm days is gone. I wouldn't say it smelled sharp, but it definitely wasn't a smell I cared for. As the oil sinks in, the snowy fir comes out. There may be a soft floral here as well, since the fir isn't strong, more an idea than a reality. The snow comes out more and more as the oil wears. (Snow's not listed in the note list, but it's there on my skin. I don't know if BPAL uses different snow notes, but this is not the soft, sweet snow of Snow White, it's more like the snow of Perchta. Maybe it's the snow + musk that makes me think of Perchta. Anyway.) On my right wrist, the fir remains strong, but on my left, I'm left with some snow, some musk, and maybe a breath of florals. The bath oil is very different from the perfume oil- my bottle of perfume is very heavy on the plum- but it really hits the spot when it's so hot out I'm dreaming of fall and winter.

Bought this months ago from a forumite and I'm glad I did. I've only just finished my little bottle and I'm officially addicted to bpal bath oil. I just ordered Oceans of Love and Millions of Kisses, if that's the exact name, and I can't wait till it gets here.

The initial blast of fragrance was grapefruit and a hint of cool pine and mint. The stargazer lily gave it a slight peppery note that kept the other florals from being too sharp. I'd love to get this one again this winter if the trading post ever decides to sell these oils separately during the season they represent. *hint, hint*

It doesn't make the tub too slick, and it doesn't make my skin feel greasy. Beautiful oil. Must have more!!

:wub2: Love, love L'Inverno bath oil. To me it's a blend of cold winter florals, mint, musk and fir. It's woodsy, snowy, slightly sweet and very aquatic. At times I can catch whiffs of grapefruit and it helps temper the sweetness as it gives off blasts of tarty coolness. The mint helps project the feelings of cold. It's perfect in the winter, but even better in the dead of heat summer. As with all Trading Post bath oils, this one glides on beautifully, is not sticky or greasy and the scent lasts forever.