Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sushi-n-Sake

L'Autunno Atmospheric Spray

Fig leaf, patchouli, black tea, and bonfire smoke.

OMG, I am so in love with my bottle of L'Autunno and am weeping inside because it's going away. :D
The best way to describe it is autumn woods in a bottle. I smell the fallen leaves, the smoke from distant woodfires, and the moist soil. It's everything I loved in Samhainophobia, October, and Death of Autumn in a room spray. I'm sitting here in my office, in the middle of 90-degree heat, and can close my eyes and feel like I've fast-forwarded to October.

It's earthy and smoky and mossy and windy and Just. Gorgeous. :P

Edited for spelling Edited by Sushi-n-Sake

*clears throat*

A L'Autunno Atmospheric Spray haiku.

Face in pillow: smells

like a childhood frolic in

fresh-raked autumn leaves.

*bows and exits stage left*

edit for future reference:

The text on the side of the bottle is, unsurprisingly, from the "L'Autunno" sonnet associated with Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons." (Thank you, Wikipedia! :P)

A translation for those who are curious:

Everyone is made to forget their cares and to sing and dance

By the air which is tempered with pleasure

And (by) the season that invites so many, many

Out of their sweetest slumber to fine enjoyment.

Edited by cantabile

*calls out* Everybody conga! *dancedancedancedancedancedance!* Everybody conga! *dancedancedancedancedancedance!* You know you want to conga! *dancedancedancedancedancedance!*

(the above conga call shamelessly stolen from John Flansburgh as the intro to the below song in live concert)

This spray reminds me of the They Might Be Giants song 'No One Knows My Plan' mostly because of the lyrics

No one understands

No one knows my plan

Why the dancing, shouting

Why the shrieks of pain

The lovely music

Why the smell of burning autumn leaves

because that's what I primarily smell in this spray, sweetened by the fig. I don't particularly pick up on the tea or patchouli. It's still yummy, though.

I got this at work and absolutely COULD NOT refrain from testing it just a little bit in my office. Two spritzes, that's all. At first I couldn't smell anything, but then it was like a big bloom of Autumn wonderfulness all over the place. Hopefully my officemate likes it too, because a little goes a LOOOONG way.

I can see I'm going to be addicted to the Lab's atmospheric sprays. I usually hate anything fig or patchouli on my skin, but in the air it is intoxicating. The smoke is there too, and although its pretty subtle, I'm sure its what keeps bringing the autumn feel to this scent. Black tea is a perfect compliment. I think I'm going to wish I ordered all the inquisition blends....they aren't still up, are they? :P

edit: OMG THEY ARE.

Edited by iiinterstate

I tried this first, as soon as I got the package, because I couldn't resist and it has all the notes I love. When I sprayed it, nothing really, then FIG, FIG, FIIIIIIG!!!! I love fig, and then the smoke note and patchouli made their way on stage with black tea just making everything smooth. And the sweetness of fig was tempered with the smell of burning Autumn leaves. This is fantastic by itself and while I wear the bath oil and perfume oils on my skin. I am so tempted to buy another set of this. I love it. Oh Beth if you kept this around all year round I would gladly spend the money on it. Oh and I want a t-shirt with the little Mummy goblin. he is so cute (I don't want much do I?). :P

Now, I feel I cannot review this properly without mentioning how this oil blends and combines with the bath oil and the room spray (reviews on each of those will include impressions with the perfume oil). I didn't get to take a bath yet, but I had to well, rub on the bath oil to my forearm then apply the perfume oil to my wrist, then I sprayed my room spray. OMFG!!!!!! Here I am in the middle of a hot Mo' fukkin' Tex-ass Summer, and I am instantly transported to Autumn. My favorite Season (the imps' quiz was indeed the most accurate of quizzes). The bath oil smells of dry golden Autumn grasses, combined with the crisp, sweet freshness of the apple, and the heavy dark fig and patchouli with bonfire smoke and I am on a hill in a field of dry grass on a crisp Fall day eating a picnic of sweet apple and fig while someone burns leaves in the distance. This is so damn good, I am fighting the bad angel to buy another set and horde it.

Edited by atropos

This one smells EXACTLY like October (yes, the month and the Bpal oil...but mostly the oil :D ) Beautiful!

I think my husband is more obsessed with this than I am. Ha! He's been dancing around, spritzing this everywhere. He even put some on the throw pillows we have on our couch and they smell oh so delicious.

The atmosphere spray is definitely high quality, it lasts quite a long time and when you spray it on fabric (just don't spray it directly on since it may stain...we've been spraying the air and then waving the pillows through the cloud of spritz).

I also tried this spray while soaking in a bath full of L'Autunno bath oil and the combination of scents is lovely...seriously, go try it! :P

This is gorgeous. I wish I could buy this scent as a candle, it would be perfect to burn this fall.

I got this in a trade, and am so happy with it! It smells like wet leaves and bonfires to me, and a hint of spice (fig-patchouli). It's a very rich incense blend...it's so warm and lovely, and yes, so Autumnal. It's like magic :P.

I wasn't sure how much of the L'Autunno Spray to use, so I tried four or five squirts in the air. My apartment is small, so that much was plenty. The note that stood out the most to me was the bonfire smoke, but the other three, especially the tea and patchouli, were definitely present. I tried it about 4 PM last night, and even close to 10 PM, I was still getting whiffs. I love the scent, but I think I'll save the rest of the bottle for Autumn.

wow. the fig in this is *really* strong. i'm also getting the tea note, for sure, but the fig is the boss of this show.

those are the only two notes i get from this.

i like it, but i sprayed it in my bedroom, and i think this feels too masculine to be a bed scent. the fig and tea mix into something that smells very men's cologne-y to me. it's not bad or anything, but i think i'll like it better for living room scenting.

there's something sort of 'clean' and bracing as well, and because of that i have a feeling it will be one i'll favor more in the winter when it's freezing out and the house feels stuffy to me.

in all: a good general room scent, though there's nothing about it that strikes me particularly as autumn. if i had to pick a season, i'd say it reads more as spring to me. early spring, like tulips pushing through frost covered ground.

:P

This is like a rich fig-patchouli incense blend that has a smattering of dry, colorful autumn leaves surrounding it. There is just a hint of bonfire smoke in there, enough to really and truly transport me to the feeling and essence of autumn, which I love so much. This reminds me a bit of last year's Halloween blend, October, too.

Lovely atmosphere spray! I can't wait for autumn to arrive so I can use this every day. Seriously, this is amazing stuff. True art, if you ask me.

this is my favorite component of the l'autunno set. i sprayed it on my pillow to test! it is woodsy and windy and smokey. i honestly cannot pick out individual notes- it is beautifully blended. this is a walk in the woods on a crisp fall day. lovely.

I sprayed this in my bedroom on a hot summer night. And was drifted to sleep witht he scent of warm fires. It's really dark and slightly damp. I normaly don't like patchouli riich scents but this one makes me feel like curling up with a critter under a blanket and readign a book. I love this.

I have two ferrets. Two wild, crazy dingos. I love them, but they're two ferrets, and they make messes, and they smell funny. And lately the dining room next to their room has started to smell like we're people who have two ferrets. I've tried different things: BPAL in burners, various brands of commercial air freshener, etc. Nothing really works to both cover up the dingo smell and not give me a headache or smell like a truck stop. So I got my L'autunno, spritzed it on the dining room curtains, and lo and behold, even a day later, it smells like a wonderful bonfire in October, instead of like two ferrets.

I will be ordering more sprays, that's for sure.

A.

omG..i adore this one...

this is actually hot and peppery and very much like rat king to me :P

there is a masculine edge and some patchouli with crunchy leaves...this lasts

and lasts and i am totally in love ... cannot wait to use this in the cooler autumn months :D

When I opened the bottle to smell my first impression, honestly I was put off because the smoky note was all vetiver to me.

I am so glad that I sprayed a few sprays in our bedroom, because it smells like everything previously mentioned, which is to say FREAKIN AWESOME! I am reminded slightly of Singing Moon.

I was feeling so guilty about buying all 4 Inquisitions, but everything I've tried so far has been something I'm not willing to part with.

Yum yum! I have to go back to bed so I can inhale the Autumn Big Bang Nucleosynthesis Origin Of All That Is Good.

:D

In the bottle this smells just like last year's October oil, (Which I LOVE in the bottle but does funky stuff on my skin)

I sprayed my pillows with it about 3 days ago and every time I walk in the room the loveliness is still wafting around the room. Love this stuff and know what I'll be doing with that bottle of October. :P

This is the perfect description of my review for L'Autunno room spray. However, the smoky, bonfire note makes me sneeze alot, and chokes the back of my throat :D so I can't use it as a room spray. :joy: However, hopefully, it will find a good home. :D :D

(Courtesy of the review by Atropos)

"The spray smells of dry golden Autumn grasses, combined with the crisp, sweet freshness of the apple, and the heavy dark fig and patchouli with bonfire smoke and I am on a hill in a field of dry grass on a crisp Fall day eating a picnic of sweet apple and fig while someone burns leaves in the distance."

ETA: I lied folks. I sprayed L'Autunno on my car seats. While driving today, I kept saying what is that wonderful aroma, and then I looked at the L'Autunno Bottle and realized that it was the spray. I fell in LOVE :P :D So now....I can't let it go.

Edited by Dark Alice

I promised myself I wasn't going to get all aflutter about the seasonals, and was doing just. fine. until the reviews for L'Autunno Atmosphere spray started rolling in... Lucky for me, another forumite was looking for a good home for hers, and so I pounced...

:P Oh baby. This does not disappoint. I see the similarities to October, but to my nose, it's more akin to Death of Autumn - that deep, bitter leaf-mold scent with just a hint of far-off smoke. The tea note is amazing, bracing & tannic... the fig is very faint, adding a bit of sweet fullness that nudges L'Autunno away from being just black & bitter.

I love that this is not "festive" - it's not all pumpkins & apples & gingham... it's Morrissey & wooly black turtlenecks & a thermos of tea shared by the bonfire...

ETA: Holy staying power, Batman! I gave my (admittedly tiny) office 2 little squirts yesterday afternoon - when I opened the door this morning, I was greeted by the fantastic scent of dried leaves & tea :D

Edited by tartchef

To me, this is all mouldy leaves, fading to a weird powderiness. It's nothing like the perfume oil, which is incredible!

Upon first spritz, I thought that this was a little too dark for me, but the L'Autunno spray is definitely growing on me. It smells like wet soil, dry/rotting leaves, and a distant swirl of smoke at first. It starts off rather smoky on my linens and then morphs into more of a clean, chilled smell. I think that the tea gives it a crisp feel. It's like a chilly, wet autumn day, raking up damp leaves with the scent of a burning leaf pile somewhere off in the distance. A day later, the most lovely clean smell is left behind, with no trace of smokiness. I think that the atmosphere sprays are my favorite things out of this inquisition.

Deep, woodsy, a bit manly. Herbal and earthy. The fig leaf is bitter but rich, dark and pleasantly sharp, a bit like neroli but much more herbal. The tea note is strong here, but different than how it is in perfume; much deeper and more astringent, like overbrewed English Breakfast. Conversely, the patchouli is pleasantly lightly, earthy, sexy and the smoke likewise, just a hint of distant wood burning, curling vaguely through the air.

Very seasonally fitting, and my favourite of the room sprays, just barely ahead of L'Estate. Would be great for a bachelor's pad. Maybe James Bond's country Estate smells like this...

I feel like I must have gotten something totally different from everyone else, because I'm just not getting what everyone else is. In the bottle, I do detect a little bit of fig, and then black tea. And when I spray it in my room, it smells of black tea and nothing else. It doesn't hang around for long either, so this one was a bit disappointing for me (I really didn't expect the L'Estate room spray to beat out the L'Autunno one in my book!).

I'm also not getting the same impression as most people.... it's all fig leaf.

Fig leaf doesn't smell like fig to me, it's a slightly bitter vegetal smell that evokes freshly crushed garden weeds. This spray reminds me very much of the leafy top note in Premier Figuier by L’Artisan Parfumeur.

I would have liked more smoky tea in this, but it's still a nice and refreshing outdoorsy scent which works nicely as a room spray.

I'm eternally in debt to my friend who ordered the inquisition, but turned out to be semi-allergic to the room spray, so she gave it to little ole me! This is a perfect pick-me-up for me to help me survive the rest of summer. It not only smells like wonderful slightly-rotty (to me, this is a good thing) leaves and faint smoke, but it makes the room actually FEEL cooler to me! Cool, moist, comfy. I looooooooooooove it! It's just the right strength for me too- one good spray makes my whole room and half the hall way smell lovely for hours. Though, "one good spray" in my car was a little much! *cough*

Edited by Elilara