Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Greensleeves

What smells like Irish Spring Soap?

Hi, I'm new, and I've been lurking around the forum for a short while trying to pick up ideas for new scents to try, when I stumbled across a few people talking about different scents that to them smelled like Irish Spring. For some of you this is a bad thing, but it made me squee because I've been addicted to Irish Spring for years.

Some scents mentioned which people found similar were Leanan Sidhe, Slobbering Pine, Tempest, Loup Garou, Lightning and Ullalume.

Can you lovely forum people please recommend some others?

Thanks in advance!

Greensleeves

I just did a search for Irish Spring in the review forums, these scents seemed to have the most references to Irish Spring:

Thalassa

Thunder Moon

Whippoorwill (this has a ton of Irish Spring references)

Tempest

Kingsport

Leanan Sidhe

I totally get Irish Spring soap off of Thunder Moon. I have to wait at least two hours after application for it to do things I -like.-

Which isn't to say Irish Spring is an awful smell, just that if I wanted to smell like that I'd just get the soap!

:P This is a clear case of chacun à son goût. My skin recoils in fear of overly-deodorized dehydration at the mere mention of that brand of soap. It used to be the only soap my ex would use...I made him keep his extra bars in his underwear drawer because I didn't want the smell overtaking the linen closet.

But if you like it, I hope you find a BPAL scent that captures the essence for you.

As far as Thunder Moon - I can say with absolute certainty (and relief) that it does not go 'Irish Spring' on me...otherwise I would not have a bottle of it. I also have imps of Lightning and Ulalume and they don't remind me of that scent either. The others listed here so far, I've not tried.

Galvanic Goggles. All the way. It was the first thing I thought of when I sniffed it. Also, it is booger green. Just so's you know. :P

For me, some blends that include juniper berries turn to Irish Spring -- The Ragged Wood and Omen. Oberon didn't, though.

Penthus doesn't have juniper berries listed, but it smelled like Irish Spring during the wet phase.

Whippoorwill, most definitely, for an hour after application, then it gets a really nice light spiciness. But it's an older LE & will likely be hard to find. Thunder Moon had a little of that feel for me, though it warms up later.

Welcome to the forum Greensleeves!

I'm not sure I've actually tried Irish Spring soap, although I've definitely heard all about its reputation. But I wanted to second Galvanic Goggles, since I've seen a few people make that comparison with Irish Spring, and it's really fantastic and addictive (this from someone who doesn't normally wear that kind of clean-cologney-masculine scent), AND it's GC. Oblivion might be another one to try, it reminds me of Galvanic Goggles (and it's also green) and smells herbal-soapy but also incensey.

Welcome to the forum, Greensleeves!

I'm old enough to remember when their ad campaign was "Manly, yes... but ladies like it too!" And this strapping Irish lad in a tweed cap and a fisherman's sweater would pull out his pocket knife and carve a slice off the soap to show you how the freshness-containing stripes went all the way through. :P

I'm surprised that Whippoorwill is compared to Irish Spring - it's a favorite BPAL of mine and I wouldn't associate the two at all. :D It does have a prominent fresh, green bamboo note, so maybe that's the note that takes it into Irish Spring territory for those who do get it. (For the record I get lots of wood and cardamom, lightened up by the bamboo, but no soapiness.) It can be hard to find, so I'd say don't agonize over this one. If you get an opportunity get a bottle or decant at forum prices, yes, but don't go chasing it on eBay unless you've tried it already and can't live without it.

I never tried Thunder Moon, but I'd guess that the ozone in it helps contribute to the fresh-soapy quality. It's also an unavailable LE, but I do see it in the swaps forum fairly often, so it could be easier to find.

There was a recent LE called Boo Bam from the Tiki collection that might be worth trying if you happen to stumble upon a decant or bottle in swaps.

Thalassa is still available although the Lab doesn't sell this one in imp form, you'd have to spring for a bottle or try to find a decant in swaps. I can see why people would compare it to Irish Spring but IMO there's just a faint hint of that with a lot of other elements too.

From the GC - Tempest and Lightning are really good choices to try first, both have a very fresh feel and a combination of aquatic and ozone notes. R'lyeh and Cthulhu might be good choices too, they are very deep aquatic scents (no pun intended). Windward Passage had a very green soapy quality when I tried it a few months ago, so I'd add it to the list.

To me and my husband (long-suffering sniffer that I have forced him to be), "Cthulhu" smells like Irish Spring.

Wilde and to a lesser extent, Casanova. To my nose they both have a sharp soapy quality, and I think it's the tonka, because I also smell it in the drydown of Hony Mone.

Welcome to the forum, Greensleeves!

I'm old enough to remember when their ad campaign was "Manly, yes... but ladies like it too!" And this strapping Irish lad in a tweed cap and a fisherman's sweater would pull out his pocket knife and carve a slice off the soap to show you how the freshness-containing stripes went all the way through. :D

I had to LOL @ this...I remember that commercial too, and I can still picture him carving that slice off the bar of soap! :D

As for Irish Spring scents, I totally got that from Galvanic Goggles, but that stage didn't last long at all. I'd still recommend getting an imp of this to try because if you like masculine scents, the drydown is wonderful. :P

Nice to meet you, Greensleeves! :P

I'll toss my recommendation in for Leanan Sidhe (even though it's already been mentioned), which smells very much like Irish Spring on me. Thankfully, I love Irish Spring and the scent has good associations for me. :D

Edited by cantabile

Thank you all for your lovely recommendations and your words of welcome. I'm going to keep a lookout for them when I do my Bpal shopping. A few have found their way onto my wishlist, and I'm actually in the process of ordering a nice bunch of them from a kind soul on LJ. And soon there will be reviews, reviews bursting with lovely green goodness... :P

Greensleeves

Eanach Dhuin. Dead ringer for Irish Spring, on my skin at least. Lincoln Tunnel Vortex wasn't too far off either.

Hi, I'm new, and I've been lurking around the forum for a short while trying to pick up ideas for new scents to try, when I stumbled across a few people talking about different scents that to them smelled like Irish Spring. For some of you this is a bad thing, but it made me squee because I've been addicted to Irish Spring for years.

Some scents mentioned which people found similar were Leanan Sidhe, Slobbering Pine, Tempest, Loup Garou, Lightning and Ullalume.

Can you lovely forum people please recommend some others?

Thanks in advance!

Greensleeves

I'm late to the party here, but I came across this thread and thought I should add that The Stormhold was universally declared to be an Irish Spring Single Note in my local bpal group.