Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Bliss

A shot of pure, self-indulgent euphoria! A scent that is very, very wicked in its own way: the serotonin-slathered scent of pure milk chocolate.

Something wicked this way comes, and it's name is BLISS!
Let me preface by saying that I live about 30 minutes from Hershey, PA and was just there twice last week! Outside the factory, it smells just like BLISS! I just wanted to drive around the factory and smell the air.
In Imp: Hazelnut, almond, chocolate.
Wet: Same! I smell something faintly floral underneath, but instead of detracting it adds to the scent.
½ hr. Dry Down: If they made a bed full of Hershey Chocolate flowers, this would be what they smelled like. This is D-I-V-I-N-E!!!! I covet a bottle of this. I need a new job to buy all the BPAL scents I now need! I am now hungry. :P
Addendum: I have Bess on my wrist, and these two smell very beautiful together! That could be where I get the florals from. Edited by Shollin

Bliss vial: "Hello, I am chocolate and you will hear my call."

Gwyn: Whoa. You are chocolate. You are sweet chocolate.

Bliss: "Yes, yes! You must love me. You will ... hey! What are you doing? Come back ... why is it dark? Eeek, help!"

Gwyn: *munches on a dark chocolate bar*

Yep, this is chocolate. To my nose, it's a sweet chocolate and far too sweet for my tastes, being the dark chocolate girl that I am. This blend makes me want to add things to it ... like cayenne pepper or something else interesting. Or else go eat a nice bar of good high cocoa content chocolate. I definitely prefer my chocolate scents with other things rather than on their own. :P Or else coming from the bar in my hand that I'm in the process of putting out of its misery!

Smells slightly boozy – too boozy to be strictly milk chocolate but not as strong as Centzon Totochtin. It doesn’t seem to want to linger very long on my skin and I smell something a tad floral in this blend. Not sure if this will work on my skin – it’s giving a very burnt smell. Damn body chemistry. I left it a while to see how it would morph but sadly it’s not at all for me.

Three words after putting it on my skin: "Rich Chocolate Ovaltine". I kid you not. It's definitely chocolate, but a very powdery, grainy chocolate. I can smell the texture. Putting my nose to my wrist is like snorting Swiss Miss. It mellows out a little bit after a while, with a bit of caramel coming into it, but it's still powdery chocolate rather than a Hershey bar. I'm a little disappointed with it on its own, though it does have some layering potential.

Chocolate dark brownies baking, ooooohhhhh!!!! Keep. :-D It just gets darker the longer it stays on. This is the “it” chocolate scent for me.

So much love for Bliss, it is everything olfactorily good about chocolate-y things!

in the imp: mmm milk chocolate with a dash of cocao powder. Must. Resist. Drinking.

on me: hot fudge, and at the end of the sniff it smells like brownie/cake mix

after a few minutes: it goes more powdery, smelling less like bar chocolate, and more like cocao powder/brownie mix. Which is still delicious, so no complaints here! :-D There's also a slight hint of burnt sugar, which adds a nice depth.

Overall: this is definitely a mood-booster, and it makes me want to bake.

I was worried Bliss would go ashy on me since that has been my experience with other chocolate scented perfumes. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Bliss worked out really well with my body chemistry and captured a distinctive chocolate scent on my skin. Reminds me of the chocolate scented Strawberry Shortcake dolls I played with as a child.

If ever there was an appropriate name for a perfume, Bliss is it.

I wasn't too sure about it at first, being a definite BPAL newbie, so I ordered an imp of this when I placed my very first order, just after the July update... I was definitely intrigued by the description, and, needless to say, I wasn't disappoined.

In the imp: A definite chocolate scent in the bottle, rather sweet and very much a milk chocolate smell. I was a little concerned about the sweetness, but moved ahead with the testing.

On & Wet: Still the milk chocolate smell, though a little more of the rich, full body of really good chocolate was beginning to creep in. The sweetness was still there, but had lost a little of the sugary smell I was getting from it at first.

Drydown:

15 minutes

Not bad, not bad at all. Although the sweetness was fading, there was a faint hazelnut/honey undertone to the chocolate, and it wasn't showing even a hint of turning bitter.

1 hour

Bliss morphed from milk chocolate into a dry, dark chocolate with a faint bit of milk chocolate layered underneath

2 hours +

This scent lasted about 6 hours on me, with the prominent chocolate note still on top. Though it became a drier scent after the first hour or so, the chocolate was still rather firmly there without being overpowering.

Throw: This rather depends on how much you apply, but a teensy dab gets you just enough that you've got a faint "aura" of chocolate, and others can catch a faint whiff of it. My mother caught a bit of the scent and had to try it *enabler*:P

Final impression: A lovely, comfortingly foody scent that 's just enough to keep me from pouncing on all the chocolate in sight. I've been wearing this at work, so the bit of chocolate scent is rather stress relieving for me. :D

End notes:

Tested this on my mom: Dark chocolate and hazelnut wet; dry chocolate with faint honey notes on drydown

Tested on my sister: Wet: Burnt coffee (?????!!!) Drydown: Best. Mocha. Ever.

in the bottle this doesn't really smell that good in the bottle. it's chocolate, but it has a funny smell, like wheat or something. chocolate bread with no yeast.

wet on skin as it warms up, the weird grain smell goes away and it's just lovely light chocolate. i don't like light chocolate to eat, but it sure smells good.

dry on skin chocolate!

two hours later it's gone soft and dry, like cocoa. still yummy.

Hubby and I can't agree on the chocolate scents. The ones I like, he hates and the ones he likes I hate. I smell plastic/metal/iron in all the ones he likes, while all he smells is chocolate.

Bliss is no different. He likes it, I don't.

Bliss was the first-ever chocolate-scented BPAL to be sampled by me and my enablees, and my foodie-scent-loving friend in particular was looking forward to it. I read out some review excerpts--of the "OMG chocolate truffles!" "Chocolate cake batter!" "Wonderful scrumptious CHOCOLATE!!!" variety--to the group, and then we ceremoniously opened the imp and swiped ourselves with our little cocktail sticks.

"It...smells like poo!" cried my foodie friend, aghast. Around the table, people grimaced in response: "Yes, poo, definitely poo," they murmured unhappily as they fled to wash off their forearms.

The poo-smell must have got better on at least a couple of us, because I see from my notes that my foodie friend and I both wound up giving Bliss a 2 out of 6 (mild dislike).

My woodsy/clean/spicy friend and my rose/patchouli/spicy friend both had to wash their arms, and accordingly gave Bliss a 0 out of 6.

One guest enablee gave it a 1 (she thought it smelled like potato chips) and the other loved it and gave it a 6...so at least one of us got some bliss out of Bliss.

totally and utterly chocolate! This is abouut as close to the wonderful chocolate brownie scent that is Mitzvah as another BPAL scent gets ... and it's a GC! there is much rejoicing. Rich, dark chocolate with maybe a hint of almonds? final thought = yum.

Chocolate. What more can I say? :P

Though a friend of mine sniffed the vial and said she smelled crackers and peanuts. . . so I dunno.

As I am sure everyone else here has said: Chocolate. Creamy, decadent, milk chocolate. My favorite chocolate brand is a little place out here in Western Washington called Oh Chocolate. http://www.ohchocolate.com/ OMG!!! Such yummy goodness- and Bliss is how their store smells when you walk in and can see them mixing and decorating and dripping real chocolate right there in front of your face. Pure torture- until they ask you what you want to sample. Sample? Me? FREE?! Of course I have never walked out without a 1 lb box (currently selling at $32/24 pieces). Mmmmmmmm.... Bliss brings back GREAT memories! :D :P DEFINITELY loving it!

I made a lotion with Bliss- and it's soooooo warming to slather on!!

Wet, hazelnut. Dry, chocolate brownie, milk chocolate. Really sweet. Like, sugar has GOT to be one of the notes.

I appreciate the novelty of smelling like chocolate because I can. So I bought a bottle.

In the future I'd like to try chocolate scents that are perhaps more true cocoa-y, darker, richer, and less sweet.

Edited by AmandaKay

This definitely has single note milk chocolate written all over it (and I ain't complaining!!) However, this is not your average Hershey's chocolate bar - to my nose it smells like really rich and/or melted chocolate...Like a chocolate chip on a cookie just out of the oven, or perhaps a slice of rich chocolate cake, or maybe even a fresh baked brownie (ok, now I'm making myself hungry for sweets!) In short, this is completely delicious...way better than any department store foody stuff! This is a great scent for cold rainy miserable weather, when you just want to be warm and comfy and comforted. Fortunately, I live in just such a place, and this one is going to get tons of wear this winter. Plus, this is one to get the guys to stand at attention...I used to have this brownie perfume, and every time I'd walk by a group of guys, they'd all spin their heads saying, "Do you smell fresh baked brownies?....or cookies, or something? That smells gooooood." At that time I worked around predominantly men and they were always trying to smell me. It's that foody comfort thing. So, in short, my theory after multiple experiments is that chocolate fragrance turns you into a walking man-trap. :P This smells a million times better than that perfume did, so I can't wait to see what this will do for me out and about! :D 5/5

(edited for an idiotic grammatical slip up)

Edited by TheOneTheyCallLuna

Even though I don't love eating chocolate, I ADORE the smell of it. Candy Butcher was a bust for me and I worried that chocolate notes would always turn to powdery metal (weird, I know) but then.. Bliss came to my mail box. It's like every favorite childhood holiday rolled into one. Pure, gooey, delicious, amazing milk chocolate.

It's lasting power is so far so good (3 hrs) and the throw is good enough for others to smell me, but not so much that I turn my classrooms into bakeries.

This is definitely on my next big bottle order.

Bliss

As soon as Bliss arrived, my husband wanted to smell it. "Mmm, that smells so good, you should wear this!" But, I was already stinky from a bad review, so I put it on him. Today I put it on myself. Twice. Bliss, to me, is brownies, or hot cocoa mix. It's not dark chocolate, but it's not exactly milk chocolate either. Chocolate it certainly is, though, delicious, gorgeous chocolate. And it's not waxy, like some chocolate scents I've smelled before. Other chocolate scents just feel like yummy chocolate... candle. But not this. This is fresh brownies, or a mug of hot chocolate. It's warm, and not overpowering. My biggest problem with this scent is that it gives me this overwhelming desire to bake brownies or sip on hot cocoa. Not such a hot urge when you're trying to lose weight!

[ 5 - Love ] I've been thinking about getting the Bliss soap, but wanted to sniff an imp first, and yup. I think I'm going to have to get a bar. Let's just hope it doesn't ignite a ravenous chocolate craving.

MaidenGenevive, I completely agree with everything you said about Bliss. You're right, it's not quite milk, not quite dark chocolate, and smells just like brownies or hot cocoa.

It's insanely delicious. Scrumptious. I absolutely ADORE this scent!!! MMMmmmmmmm!!!!!

I also give it a 5 out of 5, it's so yummy! I need to buy a 5mL like yesterday, and I also need some Bliss soap. Need.

This scent makes me believe that chocolate actually can be better than sex....something I'm not sure I've ever said....

Lurve! :D :P Thanks a billion to cheshirecat for sending me the double-size imp of precioussss!

Edited by AEris

In the imp I get the strong smell of movie popcorn. Not kidding here, cheap, buttery slightly burnt popcorn smell.

But as soon as I put it on it smells delicious. I agree with the ovaltine remark, and it sort of makes me want to start licking my wrists.

In the imp, I didn't smell chocolate at all, but on, it turned directly into a single note of sweet milk chocolate. It was very true to life, but I'm not a big fan of milk chocolate. (I tried the imp on randomly not knowing what it was!)

imp: this deosn't really smell like chocolate to me. perhaps an artificially flavoured chocolate-hazelnut powdered cocoa mix but not milk chocolate like when you dump a bag of chocolate chips into a recipe and then stop because you're too busy huffing the bag (not that i've ever done that).

wet: this does smell more chocolate hazelnut or chocolate caramel than straight chocolate, what it most reminds me of the chocolate scented scratch 'n' sniff stickers i had in grade school. this smells exactly the same. it actually does smell a lot better once applied than in the imp.

dry: faint chocolate hazelnut caramel. sort of all three but the chocolate is faintest.

Initial Impression: chocolate

On Wet: chocolate

On Dry: very faint chocolate

Final Impression: my skin doesn't seem to hold onto cocoa well and I don't care to smell like a candy bar

Rating (on a scale of 1-5): 2