Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Bliss

A shot of pure, self-indulgent euphoria! A scent that is very, very wicked in its own way: the serotonin-slathered scent of pure milk chocolate.

I love the cocoa in Velvet, I was SURE I would just adore this. The first sniff was “huh…” not what I expected at all, kind of chocolaty I suppose. On my skin it smells kind of like cheap “artificial chocolate flavor” drug store candy.

This is an amazing chocolate scent. Very, very chocolaty but with a hint of something else, maybe vanilla? Definitely a food smell. It makes me hungry and reminds me of all of the hours I've spent in the kitchen laboring over chocolate delights. I love it.

It is nice and strong and it lasts a long time.

This one I traded with northernminx for, mainly because I wanted to at least try it. I have to say I wasn't too sure about smelling like chocolate, but y'know, you can't rule out any of Beth's scents before trying them.

In the bottle: Yup. Chocolate .. a nutty kind of chocolate. Smells like I imagine the chocolate river in Willy Wonka's factory smelled.

Wet: Still chocolate. This one doesn't seem to change much from the bottle smell. While that's not a bad thing, I'm just not sure I want to smell like chocolate. But I'm going to give it a try, at least. It kind of reminds me now of chocolate-chip cookies. Almost exactly.

Wearing: Still that amazingly perfect chocolate smell. And again, not a bad smell in the least. just .. not one I would wear as perfume.

can anyone say, Ritz Crackers?!?

There was only *one* way I could get this to smell chocolately on me at all: when sniffing imp, accidentally touch tiny tip of wand to upper lip. sniffed my lip all day.

but when I applied it to my arm - crackers. darn it!

Im one of those people that WANTS to smell like chocolate all day!

Bliss in one word? = "Gianduia"

Which is the choc/hazelnut combo we Italians do so well- like the fondant in Baci chocolates. It's chocolatey but not sweet chocolate, the hazlenut smells reigns it in.

Not one for foody scents, hate most food perfumes, but may make an exception for this as it's yum & reminds me of my fave choccies (not a sweet tooth at all but when I do I scoff Baci's like you wouldn't believe!) & it dries to a nutty dry spice with a feint sweetness that is most pleasant.

Bliss smelt a bit foetid out of the bottle, but on my skin it was exactly melting milk chocolate.

Used the imp in making some body lotion since I wouldn't wear this as a scent but love surrounding myself with this smell on evenings in - especially when I'm feeling in need of comfort or its that time of the month.

-fallow deer

Smelling from bottle: Mmm, melted creamy chocolate dripping over my skin. It could go two ways: incredibly sensuous or too food-y (for me) to wear.

Wearing: Still creamy. Over time, it loses a bit of that milk chocolate feel and feels slightly more bitter. Even later, something peeks out (smells like rose to my uncultured nose) that keeps it from smelling like pure chocolate. That thing that peeked out doesn't seem to strengthen, necessarily, but it's like the chocolate is receding, so relatively speaking, the chocolate seems less strong. I don't like this so much (even though it's less foody, it doesn't have so much appeal for me).

in the bottle: Liquid fine chocolate with a hazelnutty edge. Mmmmm...this will be a godsend when I'm PMSing... :D

on my skin: This has turned into Dulce de Leche ice cream on my skin. Now I'm REALLY hungry... :P Then it turns quickly into the most lucious cocoa/hazelnut powder...I'm WAYYY too tempted to lick my wrist...lol

I'm SO happy I have a big bottle of this!! I can't wait to try this in the difuser!!

Edited by Effluvia

I wasn't really going to try this - opened the imp, confirmed "yep, that's chocolate. It smells like a cookie.", but curiosity got the better of me, and onto the back of my hand it went.

It dries to a powdery chocolate smell on me - like a chocolate-scented marker I used to have. If you like smelling like chocolate, you'll love this.

Until I took a bath and finally got it off me, the cravings were so bad that I had two big spoonfuls of the hot fudge that I'm supposed to be saving for dessert tomorrow.

On my skin, this turns chocolte with vanilla and very lightly hazelnutty.

When wearing a little longer, up comes a top note that I can only unhelpfully describe as 'loud lard'. I can still get the milky chocolate whiff every now and again, but the lard just.... grins at me.

Absolutely devine in oil burner though.

In the bottle: Pure, yummy, chocolate goodness.

Wet: On me, it loses all of it's chocolatey-ness and turns very nutty, with just a hint of sweetness and something else I can't put my finger on.

Wearing: After two hours, I did begin to pick up a bit of the pure chocolate note, but unfortunately by this point the scent had faded away to almost nothing.

Verdict: As much as I would love to smell like chocolate all day, this scent just doesn't work on my skin. Looks like it's destined for the oil burner. I bet it will make a fabulous room scent. Yum.

funny... as I was reading this the postman arrived, he smelt of chocolate!

mmm... I opened the envelope carefully and took a snif, yep, pure, warm, sweet milk chocolate, but not cheap chocolate, the scent you get passing an outdoors hot chocolate stand in winter, or walking into a house with brownies baking....

I thought this might be too much of a good thing as a perfume, but gave it a tentative dab anyway....

wet, I dont love it on me, but as a scent it's wonderful, to make a really chocolate note must require skill, in heaped portions.

dry, it's not changed at all, still thick and sweet, I love the smell, just not something I'd wear though

First Sniff

OK, crazily this is the first BPAL which has made me moan with pleasure! This is top quality milk chocolate teased with hazlenuts..... :P

Drydown

No more hazlenuts and more of a cocoa dusting rather than milk chocolate.

After a While

This has not altered at all since the drydown. This has very good staying power.

Final Verdict

Not cloying or sweet but not for me. I just don't think I can pull this kind of scent off. I had better success with Velvet. Perhaps I will try layering before I swap.

I smell nice chocolate. Not too sweet at all but a very true chocolate scent I thought.

This is the first chocolate type scent I've tried other than Vice.

This is the kind of scent I would enable people with, maybe throw an imp of Bliss in their package. It's not too "scary" for anyone new to BPAL and... who doesn't like chocolate?

I may buy another imp or a 5ml of these when I'm done.

This smells like milk chocolate melting with heavy cream over a stove. It's rich, languid, warm, and chocolaty. It's gorgeous. I might not want to smell quite this edible (I mean, literally, I'm tempted to lick my arm) on a daily basis, but this is a delicious scent to have on hand -- I can see myself layering it with other fragrances, using it as a room fragrance, or dabbing some behind my ears on days when I need pure, sweet comfort!

This would be a divine Valentine's Day scent.

Edited to add: Wearing this is absolutely divine. It seems to melt right into my skin. And as it sinks in, it starts to smell richer and less sugary, but still luxuriously sweet and chocolaty. This is the ideal chocolate perfume -- it smells SO true, but somehow manages to be wearable.

:P

Edited by summer

I have a scentgasm every time I open the imp of Bliss, I tell you. I don't even like chocolate that much, but this is divine.

And it stays absolutely true on my skin. I smell like I just took a bath in pure liquid chocolate. :P

For anyone from the UK, I smell like a McVities dark or milk choccy digestive after wearing this.

Although it goes very well with Lush's Aqua Mirabilis underwater massage bar, oddly enough. People in the office said I smelled like Millie's Chocolate Cookies.

which explains the boy's behaviour when I got home :P hehe

mmmmchocolatemmmm :D

For anyone from the UK, I smell like a McVities dark or milk choccy digestive after wearing this.

Yes! That's exactly it. At first I thought Bliss was a single note, but there really is something else there too. A not-quite-grainy scent, I think anita-blake is right, it's biscuity.

Bliss is an excellent chocolate scent, an it lasts for hours on me whilst still remaining true. As I am not much of a chocoholic, this wouldn't be an everyday scent for me. I have a chocolate-loving friend who may well love this!

As far as chocolate goes, I really prefer plain to milk. So the excellence of Bliss has really inspired me to try Kali!

In bottle: Smells like milk chocolate. I'm somewhat amused that a chocolate-scented oil is perfectly clear; I expected it to be dark brown. :-p

On me: Chocolate. Hot chocolate made from actual creamy chocolate, right before you add the whipped cream.

I love to smell like any kind of dessert food and Bliss fufills my every want. It turns to warm melted chocolate on me and it's the only chocolate perfume that lasts. I kept on wanting to lick my wrists.

Chocolate?

I have to confess, this morning I opened my imp of Bliss and was hit with a hard scent of nuts. So hard that almost two hours later I STILL hav a headache.

I'm allergic to tree nuts, they set off my asthma. I encounter them so rarely that I am very sensitive to their scent and taste now.

The imp instantly went to my give-away pile.

Damn shame, as I've become a total brat for chocolate. I just didn't smell it at all.

Scrumdiddlyum. Bliss is just what it’s meant to be…foody chocolate all the way, no flowers, no woods, not even a piece of fruit in sight! Just milky and chocolatey with a yummy biscuity biscuitness! After a while, I smell a warm melted chocolate goodness about myself, very nice and not too sweet! Others around me get hints of vanilla and chocolate. I really like it, but to wear more often, I like my chocolates with something else; like BPAL Vice with its soft cherry, DSH Bois du Chocolate with its gorgeous sandalwood and musk, or Serendipitous, with its heavenly hint of blood orange. All depends on the mood though, and Bliss certainly is perfect for a deliciously unadulterated chocolate hit! Lasting power is a couple of hours, not too bad! And then I’m happy to re-apply for more chocolate rush!

Edited by ViolentKitten

I thought I would love Bliss, but it kind of makes me feel a bit queasy! On smelling the vial (and as someone previously said, how weird that it is clear and not dark brown!), I got the strongest mental image of melted chocolate. I even licked my fingers because I was so convinced they would taste of chocolate. On me, my first impressions were of making Mars Bar cake - melted chocolate with melted butter being poured into it, then a whiff that smelt like the digestive biscuits had been added to the whole lot. I literally only put a wand-end dab of Bliss on my arm, and it lasted for hours. It was such an overwhelming experience, I’m not sure I’m ready to go back to it yet. Definitely not an early morning blend!

Bliss.....I think of instant gratification, something rich, to be enjoyed by oneself.

This is RICH, milky chocolate...only in a perfume oil. Nothing more, nothing less to me. I was blown away at the sweetness that was bottled.

Too much for me, my daughter LOVED it.

It would make a nice solid scent for those who like that though.