Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Bliss

A shot of pure, self-indulgent euphoria! A scent that is very, very wicked in its own way: the serotonin-slathered scent of pure milk chocolate.

Yep, milk chocolate. Cadbury's, past its sell-by date. I can understand why some people enjoy this, especially when their skin chemistry makes it seem creamy and not stale, but this is not for me.

ETA scent description. I did it!

Edited by Lucchesa

Bliss was one of the scents I tried pretty early in my discovery of BPAL, and for some reason, I never reviewed it!

In the bottle: Brownies!

Wet: It goes from warm brownies, fresh from the oven, to brownie batter. Browniiiies.

Dry: It's creamy milk chocolate now, although there are still moments when I sniff it can only think BROWNIEEEEES, and other moments where I feel like I'm smelling cocoa powder before pouring it into some warm, creamy milk to make some hot chocolate. In any case, this scent is making me hungry. :P

Verdict: I really enjoy Bliss! I always feel like I have too many chocolate scents that I don't reach for often enough, but I feel the need to keep some of this on hand anyway, because it's a very nice chocolate scent. I just wish it didn't make me feel like I need to eat ALL THE CHOCOLATE.

Edited by dementia_divine

Hoooo boy. I received this vial as a free sample. Not knowing what to expect, I opened it and got punched in the face by milk chocolate. Looked it up and sure enough, straight chocolate. Went to pour a little on my wrist and OOPS HAHA SPILLED IT ALL DOWN MY ARM now I smell like a sugar ants wet dream. Even hours later, if this was a scent I really liked, I would have to dilute it some. Still pretty strong and still very, very chocolatey.

Chocolate lovers, get your calorie-free fix.

Not sure why I've never tested this, as I like the milk chocolate note in the Lupers' Box of Chocolates subsets. But w/ Bliss in the Snowdrift subset, I thought I'd better look into the matter. Luckily, I have a fresh imp from the Lab.

In the imp, wet on my wrist, and through the dry-down, this is lovely milk chocolate. Not a morpher. :)

Expectations: Milk chocolate, pretty straightforward. 

In the imp: Definitely milk chocolate. There's a quality to the scent that suggests chocolate in liquid form to me, like hot cocoa or brownie batter or the chocolate square of a melted s'more. 

On my skin: 

Wet on my skin, the scent actually becomes a bit drier than it feels in the bottle, like dry cocoa powder. It reminds me of the cocoa note in Gelt. 

At least in the initial phase, this has considerably more throw than I'm used to chocolate notes having. 

By the 15 minute mark, however, the throw has settled down to be very close to the skin, which is more typical of chocolate and me. 

And it becomes rapidly fainter from there. A little more than a half hour after application, and it's barely detectable. 

It's a nice scent while it lasts, but it doesn't last long enough to be a reasonable perfume choice for me. 

I've tested Bliss in the imp soooo many times in the hopes it would work, because it's just so yummy, but like all of BPALs chocolate notes it can go sour or plastic on me. 

Wet: mix of dark and milk chocolate 
On: milk chocolate... So far on me. 
Drydown: sour milk chocolate :(

It does have a short throw and life on me so the sour does go away and is tolerable, just not as lovely. 

I ended up buying a bottle anyway to use in my burner because, chocolate. 

Just got an imp in a swap! I've been so interested in seeing what the lab's chocolate smells like!

In bottle: Chocolate (of course).  This reminds me of brownies a bit.  

On skin: Very good.  Subtle and not too sweet, which was my fear.  It smells like something is baking in the oven that I would love to eat.

After a few hours: I love this.  It's nice and uncomplicated.  

I will be keeping the imp, and definitely considering a bottle.

Okay, who went and mixed up a batch of brownie batter, because it sure as heck wasn't me and now I am hungry. I chose this hoping it might curb my sudden craving for sweets. BACKFIRED! LOL

Seriously though, this is straight up luscious brownie batter on my skin rather than, say, a melted chocolate bar. In a word, YUMMY.

I purchased this as a fresh imp from the lab.

In the vial, it smells like brownie batter! On the skin, it still smells like brownie batter!  For the most part it remains true after drying, though I do occasionally get a vague whiff of something powdery in the back of my nose.  Overall, this is simple but pleasant.

Bliss is very strong and lasts for several hours on my skin, so I would recommend only applying a little bit at a time.

I bought this one to see what pure chocolate would do on my skin and it does not disappoint.  I also have Kali and Velvet to try, which I will compare to Bliss.

This was disappointing. Yes it's chocolate, but it resembles cocoa powder or chocolate milk mix instead of a milk chocolate candy bar. It's very powdery, not very sweet, and fades pretty fast with a low throw. I've tried other BPAL notes with chocolate and I much prefer them to this. I wish I was getting the brownie batter that everyone else smells. :cry2:

My imp could be very aged so maybe newer batches smell nicer. 

In the imp:  Sickeningly sweet chocolate  - very much American chocolate, not the kind of chocolate I’m used to.

Wet on skin:  Slightly richer, like the chocolate coating on biscuits.

Dry on skin:  Slightly faded, but otherwise same as wet.

After a few hours: VERY slightly soapy/floral-perfumey tinge to the freshly dried scent, but not in a bad way.

Verdict: Yeah, I think this is going to get a fair bit of use. 

This smells like chocolate but probably not in the way you might expect reading the scent discription.

Right now my imp is 10 to 12 years old (bought it in 2009 at the earliest or 2011 at the latest) so it is very aged and my experience of this scent may be very different from a fresh bottle or imp.

I first re-tested Bliss a few months back and I was disappointed because I could barely detect any chocolate in it back then and I just figured it hadn't aged well, since milk chocolate and dark chocolate are supposedly notes that don't age as well. But I tried it again last night before bed and my experience this time is completely different. It is possible that I didn't mix the contents of my imp enough last time causing the cocoa to stay on the bottom of the imp more and resulting in very little chocolate in the scent. Last time I could mostly smell a light vanilla and a light musk and a barely detectable hint of chocolate. A bit of a sweet skin scent.

The chocolate in Bliss reminds me of several chocolately goodies. It reminds me of how Alpine milk chocolate smells. The kind my grandmother bought at Aldi in Germany when I was a child.

It also smells like brownie batter or the batter for the French chocolate cake I sometimes make. It can smell the dry ingredients before the wet ingredients are added, but I can also smell the wet batter and the finished baked chocolate cake (because it smells more like brownies than like cake, there is no butter scent).

I can smell cocoa, but I do not smell any milkness. I also smell a bit of vanilla and I think a slight musk. It basically smells like chocolate/cocoa/brownie goodness with a bit of vanilla and a bit of a perfumey something to it, making it not something you want to eat because the muskyness makes the scent not entirely edible.

The throw of this scent is fairly strong on me and it is also very long lasting. I applied it before bed last night and now, over 13 hours later, I can still smell it quite well. I can still smell it on my skin up close and also further away, it is still wafting from my clothes and I can smell it on the bedding and when I go into the bedroom. It isn't overwhelmingly strong and in your face. It is more consistent in it's throw through a long wear time. This would be a good scent for a long day because you will able to smell it all through the day and still at the end of the day without needing a touch-up.

Like all BPAL scents I feel this is great for all genders, nothing is masculine or feminine, it is whatever and however it makes you feel. In the same way all BPAL scents are also innocent and sensual at the same time because it depends on the wearers personality, mood and vibe. And it is suitable for all ages (most BPAL scents are in my opinion, perhaps only the ones with alcoholic notes and tobacco/smoke notes are not).)

Edited by Freya778
Added another paragraph

Wet: Oh. My. God. This is pure actual brownie batter. How the heck did they fit that into this little tiny imp!!???

Drydown/Dry: It doesn't really morph, it just sort of settles into my skin to become a delicious brownie batter musk that brings out the fruitiness of my own natural skin chemistry. It's very wearable for a foodie scent. Oh-so-indulgent, without being in your face about it. (okay, maybe a little in your face, but you can get away with it! lol)

7.5 out of 10 bones

Brownie batter, start to finish! Rich, thick, molten brownie batter. Good heavens.

I do really like it, but right now it's a little overpowering, though that's also my own fault because I accidentally spilled some on my hand when opening the imp, so now it's everywhere every time I move my hand! It's making me want to bake something chocolate and decadent.

In the vial: Powdered hot chocolate mix

Immediately on my skin: Chocolate, but with a sharp, kind of acidic note under it.

After a few minutes: Luckily the weird sharpness disappears within a few minutes and I'm left smelling like hot chocolate mix, sweet and kinda powdery but not overbearing. I'm not usually into foody scents, but this is surprisingly pleasant and it stays close enough to the skin that I don't feel like I'm a walking, talking chocolate bar. As it dries down it smells less edible and more like cocoa butter- creamy with just a hint of powdery chocolate. 

Oh my god. I cannot communicate to you enough just HOW much this smells like brownie batter. delicious, gooey brownies slathered in a thick chocolate buttercream. I need four big bottles, STAT.