Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Dragon's Heart

A scent pulsing with vitality, warmth and insurmountable strength: dragon's blood resin, red and black musks, a throb of fig and a sliver of black currant.

Black currant and fig sweeten the dragon's blood resin in the first sniff for a beautiful start, and quickly are overtaken by the red and black musks. Beth's description is much better than anything I could come up with, because this really is all about warmth and vitality, with no cinnamon or spices in sight.

If you've ever seen steps with a round spot in them from years of wear, think of that image in deep, polished red-brown wood and you've got Dragon's Heart.

First sniff: Dragon's Heart is very red and wicked, with a spicy bite. I’m betting it will be very slinky on me – there’s something in it that reminds me of Ravenous.

Wearing: Ooh. I LIKE. If this is a dragon, it’s a mysterious, sinuous Eastern dragon with dark red scales, not the barbaric dinosaurish sort that show up in movies and are generally bent on destroying everything they lay eyes on. My brain wants to define this as spicy, because it’s very warm, but it’s not really spice. If I sniff my wrist directly there’s a lighter round scent that hovers just this side of sweetness… almost vanilla but not quite.

Man this is my new favorite scent!!! As soon as I put it on I went from an annoyed nervous wreck to a confident and ready to get the day going kinda gal!! I don't know how to explain it but It changed my mood in a good way. I feel like this is a strong long lasting scent but still slatherable and not smell too overpowering.

So I have a performance today, and I felt a bit out of shape and yucky and this totally brightened up my day!

MMM

glad I got a big bottle of this one!! :P

This is amazing! It is warm and sinuous with real strength to it (strength like backbone not strength like overpowering). I cannot break it apart into its component parts. It makes you feel confident and strong. I love it. I usually tend towards spicy scents yet this has nothing in it that is spicy but it still strikes that warm and unusual nonflowery scent that I adore!

wet: warm, not spicy, not *i am musk, hear me roar*

dry: definitely a strong scent, but a strong in a nonthreatening kind of way. it's yummy, that's for sure!

Wow....I'm lovin' the Dragon's Blood scents. This was lovely on. Warm and sweet and very different. It lasted long and I got many compliments. I couldn't pick out the fig or currant in it. It was more just simply sweet and warm and quite lovely.

Initial Impression:

Fiery and heated, with a slight metallic edge. Definitely smelling some cloves and the slightly resin-fruit combo that I always smell in Dragon's Blood blends.

After Wearing It:

First on, this was incredibly resiny, almost too much so. The Dragon's Blood note was so heavy and heady it smelled metallic, like copper. And musky. I almost want to say it smelled bitter, but that's not right. It was just vaguely menacing and unpleasant. Maybe like tasting smoke. I was feeling highly disappointed since this smelled so nice in the vial.

Fortunately after about half an hour, the Dragon's Blood mellowed (though did not by any means disappear) and the scent was sweetened by fig and emboldened by the red currant (which smelled much stronger than the fig). It smelled ripe, juicy and just a tad sweet while still retaining it's original smoky, musky fiery feel it had in the first stage. Very complex and well-rounded scent.

Final Thoughts:

Once I got past the initial stage I loved this. It actually reminded more of blood than the Lab's Blood fragrance since it's far less sweet and syrupy and more heated. This might just be my favorite Dragon's Blood blend! (though it'll have to fight w/ Blood Lotus, assuming it does indeed have Dragon's blood in it)

I love this scent. its deep and rich and enveloping without being too strong or headache inducing. its pretty amazing. usually scents as rich as this are too strong for me but Dragon't Heart is just perfect. definatly made me feel more confident.

I found that is smelled almost exactly the same in the bottle as on me, it just warmed up a bit on my skin. it was slightly smokey, a touch sweet, and a touch musky. all together blended perfectly to one great scent.

I will definatly be getting a big bottle in my next order.

:P

hmmmmm..

dragon's heart is my first or 2nd fave bpal scent. can't decide between it & snake oil...i usually just wear them both at the same time :D

it's the nice spicy of dragon's blood & sweet of the fig... and it makes a perfectly lovely comfy combination.

i know if i curled up next to someone else wearing this scent i don't think i'd ever want to leave their side hehe :D

i have ordered a 10ml bottle of dragon's heart recently, and will probably order more soon just because i am paranoid of running out or misplacing it or etc.

:P

I really like this one. It starts off spicy and then after a few hours it is incredibly sweet on me. I love it. I think I may buy a big bottle of this.

First Impression: Oh, so like my beloved Blood Lotus. The Dragon's Blood is right there at the ready.

Second Impression: Sweet, thick, juicy and ripe. The blend is done so well that none of the components are competing with one another. They are harmonious yet in a stong, almost fierce way.

Final Analysis: This is lovely on the skin, hair and worked well in my new scent locket. I didn't apply but a few dabs from my imp and I got some nice complements. It has good "throw". I like it as much as Blood Lotus, though they dry down differently. Blood Lotus is thicker and bloodier and the musks in this one make it a bit more sensual. Add another to the faves list!

In the bottle: Spicey and warm, can smell the Dragon's blood resin

On the skin: Why is my skin so wierd?? I put some of this on praying it was that one scent that would be the Dragon's blood to drive Jake nuts but it went really sweet and floral on me almost instantly. All those individual notes have faded out into a generic sorta florally soap smell.

I am hoping that this is just my silly hormones this week and will try again. It's a lovely scent but not the richness and depth I was really really hoping for. So far, Blood Rose is winning this quest for a rich, sensuous perfume with Dragon's Blood in it.

Lastability: on the upside i was looking for a light floral so if it stays this way, cool I can use up my imp at the very least. It's still going strong after four hours which is a good sign.

Not really remembering what Dragon's Blood Resin smells like, I decided to give this a go for the sake of the musks and the fruits.

In the Bottle

Ha! This even looks like it could come from a dragon -- the oil is this thick orange-red, and looks just like the color that hot coals in a fire look.

Strong, almost spicy. I smell the resin most definitely, almost a woody smell, although it seems to blend in with the musk. No hint of fruit though...

Wearing It

It's funny, it's almost a sweet spice, and is a really *loud* scent (my boyfriend could smell it all the way across the room while he was half asleep, and asked me what I was wearing). I know that the darker musks sometimes remind me of wood, but the resin is almost making this more woodsy, as though I could smell a freshly polished piece of mahogony... some hard, blackened wood that gleams and flickers bits of light back at you. And there's just a hint of what seems floral, although there aren't any floral scents in here... And a smokey feel to it, once again it reminds me of hot coals...

After about an hour of wear, the fruit smells come out as a thick sweetness, something that smells really substantial and sensual all at once. The sweetness mixes with the musk really well.

There's something about the strength of this one, and the hard toned wood feel that doesn't quite sit right with me. My mother loves this one (she immediately snagged some from me when I opened the imp in front of her yesterday), and it makes me laugh because she owns all of these floral perfumes, yet seems to only rave about the spicy scents like this one and Scherezade. And this one does remind me of Scherezade, only stronger, more forceful, and sweeter. I'm not sure that this will be an everyday scent for me, let alone an every now and then scent, but I'm glad I got to try it.

edited because when the boyfriend woke up and gave me a hug, he wouldn't let me go because he was too busy smelling me. gave me strict orders not to get rid of this imp. :P however, i'm still not sure I'm really that into it... it seems to make me feel tense or on edge because of how overpowering it can be. I'll give it another try though.

edited again to say that I should keep in the habit of giving Beth's scents a second chance when they don't seem to work. The more I wear this, the more I adore it. This is definitely one of my favorite scents now. :D

Edited by hypothermya

Initial Sniff: Mmmm.... spicy sweet dragon's blood with the depth of musk and darkened by fruit. Delicious.

Wearing: This is just gorgeous. The resinous dragon's blood dominates at first, but wait just a minute and the fig and current explode over the top. This is deep dark brownish red and it drips with dark juciness.

Final Impressions: Another winner. I love this madly... and it lasts all freakin day!!!

First on, Dragon’s Heart is round and sweet and warm.

However, something’s hitting my sinuses though and warning me not to sniff too hard or I’ll get a headache – could be the fig, because I have the same not-quite-a-headache sensation from The Apothecary. Hmmm…

As it dries, the spicy, smoky note is coming out which is really lovely. This is definitely a protective dragon, capable of destruction but also kindness.

I’m making it go a bit soapy, though, and so the final verdict is: very nice, but not totally wearable, for me.

This one is unfortunately a bit too dark and resiney for me. I have to apply it very, very sparingly or it turns overly sweet and heady on my skin.

However, this blend is very well-balanced and I can tell this would smell fabulous on someone with the "right" chemistry.

It's too bad it doesn't work on me, because I am usually quite fond of dragon's blood. Oh well, at least I have my beloved Dragon's Milk, which is quite possibly my favourite BPAL oil.

First Sniff

Slightly sharp incense and resin.

Drydown

Well well...it maybe my screwed body chemistry but I can't smell the sweetness of Dragon's Blood Resin at all here. At the moment it's just musk and a 'dust on wood' feel.

After a While

There's a slight creaminess now but it's basically the same.

Final Verdict

Nice enough but no hints of fig or blackcurrant. As I suspect my hormones might be playing games I shall try it again in a few days.

in the vial: Memory trigger! But I don't know what it is...suntan lotion mixed with being in Italy. NO IDEA why. Incredibly light, though...

on my skin: This is really weird. I can't smell anything! I put a lot on, I sniffed coffee beans beforehand, but, alas, I can't smell a THING! I was under the impression that this one would be really strong. I put a little more on, it smells vaguely spicey/fig/incense-like, and then goes away. WTF?? I is confooz-ed. This smells like a strong dragon's blood blend a few hours after you first put it on. :P

My guess is that my hormones have something to do with this. There's a very good chance this will show itself in a week when my body chemistry changes. (shrug)

DAMN YOU, HORMONES! :shakes fist at sky:

ETA: I just tried it again a couple days later, and fortunately it HAS gotten a little stronger on my skin. I really like this a lot, but I think I like Blood and Bloodlust a little more.

Edited by Effluvia

Dragon's Blood

Is like a gentle, warm, sensuous cloud around me.

I love every ingredient separately, and together they are almost too delicious to bear, they're so good. Nothng's too strong, none of the notes are arguing, they're just hanging out on a warm veranda drinking rum as the sun goes down.

Added to "Must Have Big Bottle List"

**This is my first review, and I've been kind of nervous about posting, since I know my description is going to be completely inferior to those of you who have been acquainted with BPAL for a long time.

I received my first order of imps about a week ago, and after sniffing, wearing, resniffing, and contemplating, I've come to the conclusion that this is definitely my favorite purchase so far.

It's a heady, complex, sexual scent, and when I placed my order, I wasn't sure I'd like it. I've never been all that crazy about musks, but oh, Dragon's Heart...how I adore thee. It works wonderfully with my chemistry, and it's #1 on my "Big Bottle" list. Mmm.

It's intoxicating, euphoric, strong and so, so sexy. Plus, it lasts forEVER on my skin, (at least ten hours!), whichmay well be one of the reasons I love it so. (Dragon's Milk is nice too, but it fades far too quickly on me.)

Hopefully my nose will become more refined and I'll be able to pick out the distinct notes in this scent, but as of right now, I really don't give a damn. My imp is already almost gone, and I'm trying to be conservative, but I can't help slathering it on every day.

Now I'm off for more scents that include Dragon's Blood resin...any suggestions? :P

Dragon's Heart

Dragon’s blood and musk when wet, then almost a leather-note until the fig and blackcurrant appear; not fruity on me but an interesting movement across sharp and sweet.

As this dries the Dragon’s Blood becomes more obvious. Now I can only smell dragon’s blood and (if I sniff hard) musk.

Gorgeous and addictive.

Edited by allamanda

In bottle: It smells musky, but also a bit fruity. The dragon's blood is of course the dominant note, but I can also smell current and musk.

On me: The dragon's blood is strong and musky, making it dark and throbbing. The fig and black currant, neither of which I consider to be 'bright' fruits, add depth and resonance. I don't get any of the sweet notes; this is all spice and incense on me.)

Heady, sexual, gorgeous...

I'd been reluctant to try this scent because the spice reminded me of snake oil and I'd already worn that... but once I put it on the dark fruit came through and for several hours later I was enraptured and aroused. I became a sensual creature aware of every caress of the wind.

It was fun, I want more :P

I have not been able to actually wear this scent, because my husband took it as soon as I opened the box. So I can tell you what it smells like on him...

This is a red spicy scent. Almost sweet and almost floral, but not quite. It smells like dragon's blood, but smoothed out and diffused. He put it on in the afternoon the other day, and the next afternoon I was sure he had just put *something* on, but I couldn't tell what. It smelled like him only better.

I also found this to be a very warm, throbbing scent. People have said that O and Le Petit Mort smell like sex -- I never thought so. To me, they smell sweet/foody/floral. Dragon's Heart, on the other hand, smells like SEX to me. Like skin and sweat and hormones.

It starts out sort of cherry-sweet (although not cloyingly so), and gets muskier throughout the day. It really is a thick, gorgeous scent, but I must say, I wore yesterday, and I felt like I needed to take a shower all day. Way too post-coital to wear to work again!