Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Dragon's Heart

A scent pulsing with vitality, warmth and insurmountable strength: dragon's blood resin, red and black musks, a throb of fig and a sliver of black currant.

In the bottle:
This seems really floral to me, I'm a little confused about that

On me:
I feel like maybe this isn't Dragon's Heart I have here because I'm getting a pretty different impression of this than other people are. Either that or I just really cannot identify the smells in this. When this first goes on me, it's pretty floral smelling, it kinda threw me off since I wasnt' expecting floral. It makes me think of carnation actually. As it dries down it becomes a little more powdery and musky. The warmth is pretty subtle, just a nice musky warmth. After about 20-30 minutes this is very soft and feminine and pretty, with a a powdery/slightly floral spicey thing going on. I never get anything figgy or currant like from this scent at all

Final note:
I really like this, whatever it is, it's so pretty. I just hope it really is Dragon's Heart!

Dragon's Heart is one of the 'reddest' blends I've tried from the Lab yet. And this and Dragon's Musk are my fave Ars Draconis blends so far. I wish I got more fig and currant from this, but I can detect them just underneath the dragon's blood and they really make this delicious.

For some reason, every time I wear Dragon's Blood out at night, I get a ton of compliments on how great I smell from guys. This imp is a keeper for the nights when I feel like getting a little extra attention.

My Impression: Red Sex in a bottle. This is my favorite of the Ars Draconis series so far...I love the muskiness of it. A really great blend. :P

In the Bottle or Imp:

Dragon's blood resin with a slight minty green herbal essence to it. There's also a tiny pungent cherry-musk kick.

Wet, on Skin:

Warm, sweet and sensual resin with a touch of fruity green, earthy berry.

Drying/Drydown:

Slightly tart, berry scent hovering above the wet, resinous notes.

Over Time/Longterm:

Very red resin notes with a light fruit overtone.

Final Verdict?

Pleasant, but the fruit sort of knocks this one out of possible loves. Keeping the imp for when I feel like it... but not a bottle.

Interestingly, my take on this is much like Brianne's. Granted, I'm not very savvy at being able to sense individual notes, and kind of have to wing it when describing these scents, but to me, this has a very heavy floral scent going on. I want to say gardenia but I'm not 100% certain. There is, however, a good bit of spice with it, a spicy powder actually.

I love this, and will likely buy a big bottle. It's the first time I've received compliments on a perfume in years, and I feel like a goddess in it.

This is a luxurious, musky scent. It makes me think of an old, but well kept magician's library, full of polished wood and artifacts of dubious heritage.

I really love it, it makes me want to curl up on a velvet chaise and read. The scent really smells like the the color of the oil.. a deep purple/mahogany color. not for the summer months, but i will be dousing myself with impunity when autumn rolls around.

ETA.. it is now September, and I'm simply loving this fragrance. It's perfect for cool, breezy days and fuzzy sweaters.

Edited by Firewaver

I ordered a bottle of this unsniffed but while I was waiting for it I managed to get my hands on an imp of it. I am glad I have a bottle coming. This is hot!! Musky, fig, the dragon's blood. Amazing. Definately a sex scent. Very very sexy!!!

On my skin: Dragon's Blood, Cinnamon and a backnote of fruit & florals. Its a very "hot" scent.. and I can feel the cinnamon burning on my wrists a bit as I'm typing. Funny, this almost smells like Scherezade to me - it must have a similar note or two that my skin is amping up.

I like this one.. I've liked all of the Ars Draconis scents that I've tried so far actually, but this one is definitely more of a fall/winter scent. I will probably buy a bottle of this for winter... its sexy and warm feeling. I still can't get over the similarity to Scherezade though, that's sort of odd.

Wow -- when first applied, this is aggressively perfumey! High-piched and cloyingly sweet in a way none of the listed notes would seem to account for, so maybe it's just my skin being weird. I can get a faint whiff of musk and earthy fig in the background, but they’re being stomped all over by something brutally sweet that I would almost swear is lotus or iris or something like that.

It’s weird, because of the seven scents I tried at a friend's place last night, it's the one I liked best at the time, enough so that I ended up buying her 5 mL from her. But trying it by itself, at home is a whole other story, for some reason. The perfumeyness is overwhelming, and did I mention I hate most commercial perfumes? It almost verges on headache- and nausea-inducing. I think, though, that a lot of the scent I liked that made me want it was after it had dried down and settled in for a while, so let’s see how it goes. Right now, about 10 minutes after applying, that cloyingly sweet floral-ish feel is still quite strongly there, but I think it may be settling down a bit.

* waits a while *

Well... By about an hour and a half later, the perfumey assault has finally abated and it’s down to a pleasant incensey sort of smell, a little more along the lines of what I was expecting from the other reviews, and probably what I was picking up last night. But that’s really too long to wait. So alas, I think my first 5 mL is going to get swapped. Because I haven’t really got the heart to say to my friend “Um... You know that bottle I bought from you? I have no idea what the hell I was thinking, so could I possibly trade it back to you for something else?” :P

Grade: C (averaged from initial scent, D, and eventual drydown, B )

Edited by Miss Lynx

On me, this scent is a warmer, richer version of blood. If blood is a rich red scent, for the sake of argument, Dragon's Heart is a deep burgungy, almost purplish scent. After wearing it twice, I decided I needed a big bottle & an imp or two extra to hoard in the meantime. This is going to be a scent I get a lot of use out of come the fall/winter months. It is all warmth to me. Very comforting. I love it.

In the imp: Dragon's Blood mixed with paint.

Wet: DBR for sure with a light, sweet floral scent on top.

Dry: The DBR warms up and mingles with the light floral, playful and sexual.

Overall: The boyfriend thought I smelled sexy, finally a reaction! It also could be the fact that he hadn't seen me in a week, but prolly not. I like it, I will keep it for sexy times.

In the vial: Oh precious, darling dragon's blood... how I love you so. I have a tendency to compare each new dragon's blood blend to the others, and especially to the single note of Dragon's Blood. Dragon's Heart is less sweet and more musky than pure Dragon's Blood. This is a great balance between Blood Lotus and Dragon's Musk.

Wet: Brighter than it was in the imp, and leaning more towards the Blood Lotus side of the spectrum. There's definite musk in this, though, and if I try really hard, I can catch the fig as well.

Dry: Oh my god, so sensual and so gorgeous. There's not much more to say in the way of description. It really is an even mix of Blood Lotus and Dragon's Musk!

An hour later: Still the same gorgeous scent.

Overall: I'm trying not to like this more than Blood Lotus, since I just ordered a 10ml of Blood Lotus, and I won't be able to get a bottle of Dragon's Heart for awhile. But this is definitely the best Ars Draconis blend I've tried yet! Perfect for the person who loves dragon's blood with a bit of darkness.

Dragon's Heart

freebie from the lab :P

in vial: fruity dragon's blood and currant

wet: same

dry: mostly dragon's blood and musk (I never smell the fig)...lasts about 5 hours...a rich, warm scent

verdict: love this...must have a big bottle

In bottle: dragon's blood...and blood? It smells pungent with a bit of a metallic tang

Wet: on me, it smells mostly like dragon's blood. I can't really pick out any other notes. Kind of sweet and citrusy without being sharp. Something about db smells a little like lotus on my skin.

Dry: the metallic note is back. It's not unpleasant at all--it tones down the sweetness of the db. I never got any of the fruits, but a nice blend overall.

Goodgoddamm.

The opening notes were nice, but nothing to write home about - that floral resin note, juiced up with the berryness of the currant. The fig barely made a peep.

But the drydown...holy smackers! This is SEX. Pure, heady, holygods sex. I had no idea I could wear red and black musk so well. This is feral and intoxicating and so wonderfully deep. I don't know if it's a combination of dragon's blood with the musks, or just the later, but I must immediately try out Dragon's Musk and any other scent that has red and/or black musk to compare.

Sweet lord.

Another gorgeous dragon's blood blend. This one is very much like dragon's musk, but a bit softer and foodier. The fig and the currant blend beautifully with the resin tho give this one a fantastic, soft yet edgey feel. I really can't say enough good things about the dragon's blood that Beth uses, it's amazingly yummy. Beautiful, glorious, scrumptious. Love it!

Dragon’s Heart

Swiped across wrists and along collarbone.

Initial Wet (8-8:30-am): As will most BPAL dragon’s blood scents, this goes on pure, sweet dragon’s blood.

Initial Dry (8:30-10am): The dragon’s blood tempers a bit, allowing the other notes to peek through a bit. It is still a very sweet scent – with the fig and the currant – waiting to see if the musks come out.

Throughout the Day (10am-on): I think the musks are finally coming through, as there is something bringing balance to the sweetness. Still a very lovely combination.

This is definitely going into the Dragon’s Blood Pile (i.e., the Boi’s Pile).

This sounds kind of weird, but at first sniff this reminded me exactly of some kind of sunblock or other skin product that I used when I was a kid, but that’s not a bad thing—I always looooooved the smell of that stuff.

Anyway, it is like this incredible, summery-sweet smell that I really can’t pin down. Maybe part of the reason I can’t pin it down is because I don’t really smell the component parts of the blend (like, “oh—dragon’s blood; oh—blackcurrant; oh—musk”). It’s just all blended together in the most beautiful way.

As it develops, the overriding smell is still that mystery product from my youth, but I can smell some kind of floral scent in here, and it is getting sweeter. I just can’t explain it, but it is absolutely lovely and totally unusual. I will definitely be buying a big bottle. Perfect throw—strong enough to be very noticeable but not strong enough to be overwhelming.

Overall: an incredibly pleasant surprise, because this was a frimp, and was not on the top of my wish list. Thank you, lab, for throwing this in my last order!

On a scale of 1 to 5: 5!

Dragon's Heart is rapidly becoming a new favourite.

The dragon's blood is sweet, and it has a delicious spiciness underneath it. I always think it smells like there is clove in this blend, but it isn't a listed note. The fig and current are present, but very light background notes, which actually works really well. The musks are also subtle, so no single note becomes overpowering with Dragon's Heart.

Overall, this is sweet and spicy without any sort of obvious foodiness to it. It has great staying power, and is wonderfully distinctive. It's an amazing sexy fall oil.

This is a really Red scent!! It is quite warm and cosy to me and it feels quite protective - if that makes any sense!! It is quite fruity/musky as well - I think this is one I would wear when I am feeling alone and down in the dumps.

Dragon's Heart

In the imp: musky dragon's blood.

Wet on skin: now I smell fruit in this-fig and currant.

Dry on skin: wow!!! This really is a pulsing red scent. I can smell the musks-strong and deep and almost feral, with fig and currant flitting through, and a huge dose of dragon's blood. This scent is fruity and musky at the same time, a really dark red-crimson kind of scent.

After a while: now the prominent notes are dragon's blood and deep musk. I think the dragon's blood scent makes this musk blend even more feral, slightly animalistic even but without smelling icky.

Verdict: this is one helluva powerful scent! Dragon's blood is the main note, giving the scent a real sense of redness…and then there are the musk notes, deep, rich, bordering on almost being feral. The fruit notes of fig and currant add juicy and sweetly tangy aspects to this scent, and they intensify the fruity scent of the red musk and dragon's blood. This scent is red. Very red. This is a very interesting scent, quite enjoyable, it has a real presence to it, but I'm not sure if I'd wear it much. It's too intense for me but I do like it. This is also the first of the Ars Draconis scents I've tried!

I got this one a while ago, but just tried it on today! I am so glad I did, it's so warm and sexy! It must be worn with dark red lipstick and a little black dress.

In the Imp: Tartness with a sweet little something. I love the figginess. It smells amazing with the Dragon's Blood.

Wet on Skin: Dark sweetness and something a bit tart. The currant is still very strong in the first few sniffs and it hides the figgy.

On the drydown. Muskiness. I want to bath in the smell. I get a few notes of the currant and fig which is still amazing with the Dragon's Blood. It's such a good blend of fullness, musk and sweet that I can't stop sniffing!

Overall: Warm, sexy and on my ever-growing list of big bottles.

Do you believe in love at first sniff?

My love for Dragon's Heart was instant!

The sweet resiny dragons blood note blended with the sticky fruity tartness of currants and figs. :P

I've worn this out several times, and have recieved more compliments on this blend than any other BPAL scent. Mostly compliments from random guys at parties or at work. They all claim it smells like cherries, in a sexy way.

Deffinately another BIG Ars Draconis Bottle

Ok second time doing a review...

This is a frimp from Brienze, thanks! :P

In the bottle: Dragon's blood and baby powder

Wet: Dragon's Blood and baby powder

Dry down: Sophisticated baby powder. Smells like something, perfume/soap, that I have smelled before. I can't place what though. It smells familiar. It is lovely.

Over two hours: Still going strong, and I mean STRONG. I didn't slather and it has great throw. It is so well blended I can't pick out the different notes now. It is just a strong perfumey kind of smell. This isn't for me. I think I will put it in the swaps so it can go to someone who loves it, loves it.

Smelled later, maybe no swaps. Kind of vanilla-ish and warm. It keeps morphing and I like it more. I did figure out what it reminded me of, but better....Shalimar! :D