Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Dragon's Heart

A scent pulsing with vitality, warmth and insurmountable strength: dragon's blood resin, red and black musks, a throb of fig and a sliver of black currant.

In the bottle: very sweet berries!

Drying:
This goes on very strong.

It's wafting a lot. The super sweet berries and dragon's blood waft the most -- on closely sniffing my wrists, I smell musk, tobacco, and sandalwood. (??) The fig is *barely* there for me.

I do see where people are getting copper, and picking up some of the same spice as Snake Oil, although these notes aren't dominant for me, and I probably wouldn't have noticed them if I hadn't read the other reviews. They're definitely passing stages.

One hour later:
Has already faded a lot down to a gentle sweet woodiness that is really nice. I like this a lot and I'm going to see if I can get my boyfriend to try it too. (Dragon's blood in general can turn extremely floral on us, but it didn't happen for me with this blend, so who knows.) I'll have to experiment with this to see if I can make it last longer... I might consider a bottle!

Mmmmm...

I've recently discovered that Dragon's Blood is my friend. I was a little confused because I do sense its resinous qualities but I always felt like it was kind of floral. Someone at some point mentioned that dragon's blood is a little like lilacs, and that's it!

But Dragon's Heart adds in some luscious red and black musk and a dab of juicy dark red fruitiness that really energize the Dragon's Blood and give it a lot of throw and staying power. It doesn't have the overpowering red musk scent in some of my other favorites containing that note (like Lust) but it does deepen the Dragon's Blood and give it a bit more throw. It doesn't get a real berry fruitiness going on me, but the currant does sweeten it a bit.

I love all the ars draconis blends I've tried though I wasn't really sure that I liked Dragon's Blood in general until I wore it around a bit. That particular note gets amplified on me and tends to drown out all others so anything containing is winds up pretty similar, but it's a classic scent and I don't think I'll get tired of it.

I was soooooo sad that Dragon's Musk went powdery on me - and I was very afraid for this...

But GLORIOUSNESS! This not only does not go wonky, it's beauty makes up for the DM disappoinment hundreds of times over.

This is.... I don't even know. It's extremely potent - be careful when applying! The tiniest dab of the wand, and I'm wafting Dragon's Heart for hours. It's so strong that it's almost cloying, and an accidental slather would likely make me gag. But - after the initial aggresive burst of fragrance, this mellows out very nicely.

It's so sexy musk, but in a very slinky, elegant way. Commanding, but not trampy... it has me sniffing myself so much I'm getting dizzy off the fumes. :D

I love this SO MUCH!!!!! :P

For me Dragon's Heart didn't have much dimension or complexity to it. It's very soft, powdery and a bit woodsy. It's sweet and cherry-like. It's nice but just doesn't do much for me.

This scent, along with Blood Kiss, has proven that Dragon's Blood blends are not for me. I wanted to like it.

From Dragon's Heart, I'm getting very little but a loud note of something I assume to be Dragon's Blood. It's sour at the back of my nose. Sour, biting, acrid almost, but there is a velvety richness in it. It's a scent I could appreciate the depth of and describe glowingly, but I, personally, don't like the smell of it. I can't shake the urge to scrub my wrist -- the same urge that came from Blood Kiss.

Underneath the Dragon's Blood note, that overpowers everything else, lurks a blend of musks, maybe a little berry, but I have to take a deep inhale and mentally process out the Dragon's Blood to get to the other notes. And I can't get past the Dragon's Blood making me want to wash.

Into the swap pile it goes. Sorry guys.

I am in love.

I am surrounded by a soft, deep red cloud - there are lights outside the cloud, so sometimes the red is lit from behind with tones of deep orange, warm brown, and gold.

Okay, jumping off the cloud - this constantly morphs just a bit - it's sweet, then fruity, then woodsy, then spicy, then smells like stones - but always with that glorious cloud base.

A big bottle will be a must-have.

~Dragon's Heart~

In the bottle

Nice warm and fruity

On

Mmm. Sweet and warm and resiny with a little bit of bitter black musk for balance.

Throw:

Medium

Scent category:

Resin/fruity

Summary

This gives dark red imagery just as you'd think it would. It's warm and musky, fruity and deep. It has a stage where the tartness of the berries comes out and it almost seems strongly floral. Don't know what that was about but when it's dry, it's a mix of sweet honey'd berries and a light drop of musk.

Purchase again?

Yes

1-5 rating, 5 being best.

I really thought I'd reviewed this already!

Anyway, Dragon's Heart was very incensy, strong, spicy and musty. It had good staying power, and a little went a long way. It strongly reminded me of Global Village, a store we have here in the Twin Cities, with clothing, art, etc.. from all over the world, and which is always burning incense. It smells like that store, with the heavy musky stillness from no open windows in a warm space, and the incense seeped into the clothes. Not for me.

Edited by empi girl

I LOVE THIS LINE ... is there a Dragon's Blood scent I DON'T love (wondering why Serpent's Kiss isn't in this line as well) ...

Anyway, there is something about my first whiff of most of these Ars Draconis scents that makes me teary-eyed with joy ... for whatever reason it is evocatiev of good times in my childhood ...

This is, I don't get the berries that some have mentioned, at all (which was a relief, I was slightly concerned about that note) ... there is something quite sweet though, almost cloying but not quite ... and then also something I can't put my finger on that is herbal ...

Is there a chance there is a touch of lavender in here???

It is droolworthy.

First sniff:

The first thing I smell is musk - both types, red and black. It's warm and sensual and borders on being too much without quite crossing the line. Next comes a slight hint of dragon's blood (it's definitely not the dominant note in this one) and some dark fruits that could be the currant or the fig. I can't really tell right now.

Wet on skin:

The black musk is extremely strong now on me. It's that almost cat pee smell that borders between being improbably sensual and rather unpleasant in large quantities. I think this is a little too strong on the black musk front for me right at the moment because that's all I can smell.

Dry down:

Nothing but black musk, which I'm sure is a skin chemistry issue since I've had this happen before with other blends with black musk in them. I can only wear it in moderation and, unfortunately, Dragon's Heart crosses the line into "way too much" territory.

The bottom line:

Too intense in the black musk department for me, unfortunately. It'll be finding a new home. :P

ETA: Extremely belated review update time! :lol:

In the years since I first found BPAL, I've started to love musk blends, especially the red variety, so I decided to try Dragon's Heart again and bought a bottle. I have to say that I'm glad I did because I'm loving it now.

No cat pee, and the black musk isn't too overpowering. Dragon's Heart is a delicious red musk and dragon's blood blend, with hints of fruit in the background. It's rich and resinous, but musky and sweet at the same time. :yum:

Edited by Penance

Rating (on skin): 5/5

Summarised in a word or two: Sex!

In the imp: Another gorgeous Dragon scent! Dark red, strong and spicy.

On skin, wet: Obviously I catch the Dragon's Blood, musk, and I swear I almost get clove! Also, cherry?

On skin, dry: Bloody, musky and spicy. Love.

Conclusion: summer mentioned it, and I agree: it smells like sex! Good sex, specifically.

Edited by Aredhel

This is most definitely my favorite of the Ars Draconis so far.

In the bottle: Mostly faint musk and fig. I have a very old tarted imp that is more goopy from aging, so that affects the overall scent, I'm sure.

First on: I love red musk, and I love dragon's blood, and that's what this is on me at first. The black musk is a bit overpowering after a few minutes, but there's that faint sweetness from the fig & the currant that help to damper it.

Drydown: The musk comes out more and the dragon's blood fades away, but that's not how I remember it being last time I wore it. I think my imp is dead. Oh damn, I'll jsut have to get a bottle. :P

This is what Dragon's Heart reminds me of. I used to have this poster up before my old cat ate it.

Let me start by saying that dragon's blood is one of my favorite notes. I was so pleased to see the whole line of Ars Draconis blends, and ordered the whole lot of them. The descriptions and combinations are so creative and fascinating.

This blend, however, all I can smell is the dragon's blood resin. I would have loved to have gotten more of the fig and current, or even a little touch of the musks. Oh well. :P

Dragon's Heart

Long have my favorite Dragon's Blood blends been tied between Dragon's Bone and Dragon's Tears. Tears when I want the salty aquatic pulse, bone when I want that drier, than dry kindling feel.

Dragon's Heart has that spicy oomph that I've always wanted to get from dragon's blood. It's just awesome. Powerful, warm, and purely sexual. I :P it.

Wet on me this smelt of those sweets which are supposedly cherry flavoured, but don't taste of cherry at all. It wanders round a range of berries for a while, but within an hour of application this appears to be pure dragons blood, which is no bad thing as far as I'm concerned.

I love musk and dragon's blood. This is a very warm, deep, spicy, sexy fragrance on me. It does remind me of Snake Oil. Unfortunately, on me, Dragon's Heart fades quite quickly and is gone in a couple of hours. I love it but I'm not prone to re-apply scent throughout the day and like something with a bit more staying power. Great for a special evening, though.

Lovely, lovely start. A darker but sweeter dragon's blood. Doesn't change a whole lot on me throughout its stay.

This is such a warm, rich, round scent! I love it wet, I love it dry, I love it's throw; it's flowery, but without being overly cute-sy. It feels both feminine and yet strong, the musks blending smoothly and the fruits lending the smell just a touch of sweetness. Just a tiny bit powdery, but in a way that blends into the skin like a welcome. :P This smells like sex.

Edited by emz83

Upon opening this, I spilt a bit of it on myself, so I speedily schmeared it onto my wrists and throat. Have to save every drop, I tell you.

In the vial - Musk, musk, musk! I can't smell anything else.

Wet - Musk with just a touch of the currant coming out, I'd say. Not sweet at this stage, just a rich, dark musky scent. (The oil is redder than red, too. *laughs* I had to rub it well in to keep it from being overly obvious on my skin.)

Drying - Ooo, there's some of the fig and the dragon's blood is starting to just peek out around the musk. It's still very, very musky on me, but it's sweetening now. A very masculine scent to my nose, probably due to the musk.

Dry (15 minutes) - Good gods, I'm in love with this scent! The musk has faded back to an undertone and the dragon's blood is asserting itself fully, with fig and currant mingling freely with it to give it a fruity boost that isn't too sweet. Glorious!

Overall - The dragon's blood hung around for a decent amount of time, but by the 3 hour mark, the musk was just gone. =/ I DID really enjoy it, so I'll probably give it another chance before giving it a "yea" or "nay." My skin IS prone to absorbing any sort of perfume...

Edited (5 days later) - I just applied some for work and... it's gone all lilac on me like the other Ars Draconis scents do. :P I wonder if it's just my body chemistry doing strange changes?

Edited by Tess

My first sniff of this in the bottle, I was not so sure about - it was very sharp, and I could not really smell the fruity notes at all.

On my wrist though, this is very similar to Blood Kiss, but...thinner - the non-fruit foody notes round out Blood Kiss for me, where as this is a starker perfume. Unfortunately, I'm not so good at picking out individual notes, so I'm not entirely sure where the Dragon's Blood leaves off and the musks begin, but this is definately a deep rich scent and one that I might keep an imp of around, but I still think that BK will get the big bottle...

Edited by emzebel

Okay... this did something very odd on my skin. Dragon's Blood and Musk are usually very sharp, bitter, and overpowering on me. I thought that this would be horrible and give me a headache... but I still tried it on, just because I have the need to try everything at least twice.

For about one minute (if that) this was very spicy. Musk and cloves and peppers. Then it faded away in an instant and smelled like fruity bubblegum :P. Not at all what I was expecting. For about a half away, it continued to remind me of Juicy Fruit, then it dried down into a very faint light floral. Reminding me of tiny yellow flowers blowing in a breeze.

Then it was all gone within an hour. Very unusual for a musky scent...

In the vial: A really heady fruity musky scent. Makes my head spin in a good way.

Wet: More of the same, though it's not quite as all-encompassing and sense overpowering. It does, however, make me want to glue my nose to my wrist. Smelling alot of what could be the fig and the currant over the musk.

Dry: It's turned to something powdery and warm. Not a bad thing, by any means. Everything lightened to a nice combination of fruit and musk, over the powder, over a thin layer of dragon's blood. Now I definitely want to glue my nose to my skin. Can't stop sniffing my wrist.

This is a definite 5ml purchase somewhere down the line. Love it.

Bottle (Imp): I have two imps, one is darker than the other. The lighter one smells more like different scents together, and the darker one smells like it's a touch better blended, mixed more.

Just On: They are very similar (duh, huh?) but the lighter one seems to be newer to me.

An hour or two later: The darker one is very faded, and a little foreboding. The lighter one is a bit sweet.

Around 6 hours: They have both faded quite a bit, but I can still smell them both just a little. The lighter one is lighter smelling to me.

12 hours: This fades down to nothing at the end, although I think I get a slight whiff of the lighter one. I don't know if one is a lot older than the other, or what, but it was interesting trying two from different batches of the same scent (or so I assume).

Overall: I think I would wear this once in a while, although not as often as my must haves.

After reading other reviews: Hmmmm fig and black currant. That's probably the sweet. Well, it's nice, but probably not as likely to be worn as others, so I'm probably not buying more.

This scent when I wear it, I can practically hear & feel the dragons heart beating, strong & willfull, but pure & good, pureity in a way only animals can achieve. It's the scent of courage & the essence of life itself. When enveloped in this scent I feel protected by the dragon, no one can harm me, it is my shield in the battle of life.

Gorgeous strong protective scent, absolutely lovely & warming & comforting.

Bottle: A very woodsy, rum-like scent. One of those scents that are subtle yet you can't stop smelling it.

Worn Pretty much the same thing, except that it's very warm and soothing, like someone hugging you. I actually imagined a powerful dragon hugging people. Doesn't seem to last too long though. About a couple hours.

Generally, I like the scent, and I'm not sorry for getting the 5 ML bottle of it. However, other Dragon scents are probably better for me. 7/10.