Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Dragon's Heart

A scent pulsing with vitality, warmth and insurmountable strength: dragon's blood resin, red and black musks, a throb of fig and a sliver of black currant.

Dragon’s Heart has taught me to stay right away from dragon’s blood blends. With so many lovely notes, I hoped I could get away with it, but no, that strong almost soapy note established itself and wouldn’t leave. Ah well.

Musk musk musk! It's one of the few oils where I really like the musks. They're kind of woody though, with dragon's blood just peaking out from behind. Great for one of those days where you don't want to deal with anyone's BS.

ETA: slightly wrong review

Edited by silverangel

My skin seems to love both dragon's blood resin and musks, so it was a competition to see whether dragon's blood resin or the red and black musks would win. Oh... it looks like dragon's blood resin won, and that the fruity notes are adding a touch of sweetness. Unfortunately, I'm fonder of musk than dragon's blood resin, so it's likely that I'll be swapping this one away.

the color of this oil is breathtakingly lovely. it's much darker than the other dragon's blood blends i've tried, and i dig it. ;D

when it comes to the smell, though, i find it a bit lacking. dragon's blood is always amplified to my nose, and it seems to really cancel out the other notes in a blend unless they're strong. this does smell darker and woodier than dragon's milk or straight dragon's blood, so who knows? on my skin, the dragon's blood remains the most apparent to my nose, as i expected it would. it smells almost the same as it does in the vial, but it deepens a bit, which is a shame because i love all of the other notes except for the fig. dragon's heart is VERY, VERY red and lovely. the woody/fruity smell is subtle in comparison to the dragon's blood, but the notes don't fail to invoke images of a bright red sun setting over a dense autumnal forest.

Edited by diabolique

Dragon's Heart and I have had a parting of the ways.

This was one of my very first imps and I loved it upon first sniff. It was also my

first big bottle order.

In the vial - it still smells wonderful to me - and perhaps I should have tried it as a room scent?

But on me, dragon's blood can turn to a really heady floral (instead of the lovely spicey, sweetish, resiny smell that I know and love) if not tempered by something that my body amplifies in an equally strong fashion. And here the fig and currant are just not enough. The floral smell is completely headache-inducing.

The 5 ml went to another forumite where I hope it is well-loved.

And I'd like to mention for others that have trouble with Dragon's Blood for one reason or another - it's still worth trying other DB blends - I happen to love Bloodlust and Dragon's Milk, though Dragon's Heart and Dragon's Bone did not work for me.

oh.

oh yes.

i wanted to compare this to Dragon's Milk, do some kind of intelligent comparison..

in the first half hour, blah blah blah.

no.

now i just want the mate to come home so i can coat him in this Wonderful Stuff.

yes.

i must smell this on a male.

now.

it's astonishing. i guess i really have a thing for the Dragon's Blood resins. i want me to smell like the sweetly honey/almond/milk/edible Dragon's Milk, and i'd like to see what his male chemistry will do with the warm Dragon's Heart.

Dragon's Milk smelled sugared, Dragon's Heart smelled woody, briefly, and now is a heady carrier of the Dragon's Blood spices and a nudge of sweetness that isn't strong or too feminine. woody then subtly sweet, i make this smell 'good', i bet a ~man~ would make this smell unbelievably HOT and i need to get my hands on a man immediately to test the theory.

:P

... when's that guy getting off work, anyway? sheesh...

I rather expected something different for this. When people post about Dragon’s Heart on the forums, it’s usually to say that it’s a scent they turn to when they’re looking for strength. I also remembered someone posting to say that it was like a worn in heavy wooden seat. Initially, this is dragon’s blood. Very sweet and red and just not what I expected for something that speaks of strength (plus the wood description). After a few hours, the sweetness recedes a bit to reveal some floral scents—a sweet floral. A few more hours later, the sweetness swirls around, revealing a bit of the worn in wood aspect that I was expecting—the solidness that comes from great strength—with a bit of the florals. It’s still really sweet, which makes sense, because this is a dragon’s blood scent, but still doesn’t seem like that much of a strong scent.

Dragon's Blood and musk -- deep and spicily sensual, delightfully dark and biting. After a few hours, it settles into a spicy musk like Scherezade, with just a hint of sweetness from the currants. Love it, love it.

This is pretty but a bit stuffy for me. I've tried enough dragon's blood blends now to recognize that they tend to drown out everything else on me and eventually they all come to smell quite similar. I could see where this would be gorgeous on someone else - from the vial I was really impressed - but I am not that person.

This is super, super Dragon's Blood-y on me. It smells very rich, and slightly dark (I detect some woody musky smells, and the natural fruityness of the Dragon's Blood is enhanced as well.) I can definitely see where people get "strength" from this blend as it does live up to its description. However..it morphs into a public restroom smell, much like Dragon's Milk did. The Dragon's Blood was fine on my skin at first, I wonder what happened :P maybe there's another culprit.

In the bottle - Metallic and fruity.

Wet - Still a little metallic, but the musks are starting to come out

Dry - the metallic smell is completely gone, replaced with a warm, amazing scent - musky, and I can smell the fig undertone, plus a little something extra, which is probably the black currant and dragon's blood. (This is my first try of anything with dragon's blood.)

Overall - I really, really love it! On the list for a big bottle.

In the Bottle: Delicious Dragon’s Blood, resiny and cherry smelling.

On Me: Very delicious! Lots of warm cherry scented dragon’s blood, with maybe just a hint of cinamon. It mellows out to a delightful insence resin that I adore! Must have a big bottle of this one, and I’ll have to wear this on Saturday to tease a friend. *Wink*

In the bottle:

Simple dragon’s blood. Sweet and resiny

Wet:

All I smell is dragon's blood. It likes to usurp power from other notes on my skin, which can be somewhat disappointing. Oh, wait. Do I smell? I Do! I smell currant very faintly in the background. There’s not enough there to even have a fighting chance against the dragon's blood, but it’s trying.

Dry:

Ok, there we go. The dragon's blood has settled down. I am now also getting a feral muskiness... a nice dry, clove/tobacco-y goodness that is creating a lot of depth. I can smell the fig a lot better along with the currant. They create just a hint of juiciness.

Verdict:

This is my favorite of the Ars Draconis that I’ve tried. It’s fairly similar to Blood Amber, but more dry and dusty. When I sniff my wrists I get warm fuzzy feelings in my gut…it makes me swoon. If this is a dragon’s heart, it’s a fiery, tempestuous, and sometimes heartbroken and lonely heart.

I'm not familiar with what dragon's blood resin smells like on its own, but this is sweet and incensy, with an almost powdery note. I'm not sure I can pick out the fig or currant because I think it's given me a headache. :P Otherwise, it really is lovely.

Mmm...this is surprisingly calm, soft and sweet on me. I *do* feel like I have much more strength to get through the day when I wear this. It's somewhat powdery (I think that's the dragon's blood resin) but not in a horribly fluffy kind of way. This mellows me out when I need it.

:P

TMI ~ I tried this on the third day of my period, which is starting to lighten up. After getting too much of Lush's Potion out of the bottle (must remember not to shake a bottle that's been laying sideways for days on end), I kinda overdid it a bit. Dragon's Heart did manage to fight its way through the onslaught, though. It's not the first time I've tried this oil, though, so I know what I'm sniffing for.

Vial ~ A warm, deep, comforting resin.

Wet ~ Hrm. Either it's not mixing well with the lotion or it starts off chalky.

Drying ~ It's warming back to it's imp state. There's got to be something else in this oil to cut the dragon's blood, because I vaguely remember the description. However, dragon's blood the way I'd like it to be is all I'm getting from this on my skin.

Drydown ~ I think the resin is trying to interact with its fellow ingredients (or Potion) - it's becoming perkier and a little lighter, but not by much.

Dry ~ Oh! Now I remember why I like this oil so much. It's hit the warm, comforting stage again. Any sharpness or powderiness from the resin has gone, and the overlying scent has settled in. If you've ever smelled dragon's blood resin, picture it muted (not sharp) and solid (not powdery). On my skin, it's starting to creep towards the edge of perfumishness, though. Wow, this is one of those oils that likes to shift around on me.

Fade ~ The perfume edge didn't win out: it's still like a snuggle from a luck dragon.

Final thoughts ~ I'd have to be in a certain mood -- or working with different skin chemistry and less lotion -- to wear this and get anything more than a curious effect from it. However, I think that this one fluctuates between powerful (the sharp stage) and comforting (the muted stage) quite well.

I just got back from Black Broom and happened to pick up a bottle of this. Yea!

First sniff from the bottle- Glorious dragon’s blood!

After 10 minutes- Mmmm, the fig is coming out making this really warm and fruity. I can smell the musk’s wafting up through the dragon’s blood and fig making this almost animalistic.

After 30 minutes- The musk has come out in full force. It has turned all red musk on me...yikes. Noooooo! I want the yummy dragon's blood back!

Summery- I don't like red musk so this one ig getting swapped.

Edited by requieminblack

Dragon's Heart:

In the vial, Dragon's Heart smelled *very* musky. Upon application, it maintained the musk scent but the Dragonsblood started to rise up afterwards, albeit faintly. It faded on me within an hour. :P

I'd love to give Dragon's Heart another shot if it weren't just musk.musk.musk on me.

ok i ordered a 5ml of this unsniffed, i knew i must love it no matter what, my obsession w/ dragons would not allow anything else, the other dragon scents didn't kick me in the britches, they were nice but i could take or leave them so this had to be the one, plus alot of people swear i have a dragon's heart instead of a people one....well

in the bottle: i really smell the dragon's blood first it is a strong sweet smell nice but not what i was hoping for

wet: more dragon's blood but w/ some musk

dry: ahhh i knew this had to be the one, the dragon's blood is still present, but the musks seem to be the forerunner, and the figs and currants are the supporting cast, this is beautiful, warm, sensuous, sinuous, throbbing, beautiful blend. i am very glad i took the risk!

My first thought on opening the imp was "Wow, this one's really strong." It has the sweetness of dragon's blood and the depth of musks, but it's a little too sweet for me. I can't really smell the fig or the currant, which is a shame since I love those notes, but I think they add to the sweetness of the whole thing. After a while it turns a bit floral on my skin and even sweeter, so it becomes very overwhelming.

three words-- eau. de. headshop. i didn't get any fig, currant or anything else that wasn't incense, patchouli...whatever. again, smelled like a headshop. great for some, not for me.

Edited by warmfuzzies

i got this for my husband- for some reason i thought it would suit him. however, when i uncorked the imp to sniff, some spilled on my hand.

hmmm. this smells pretty good! not a perfume i'd normally pick out, but i can't stop sniffing myself! its got depth, and sweetness, but not too much sweetness, and something else i can't place (hadn't read the description yet). mmmm. must try this on hubby!

on my husband, however, dragon's heart was too sweet- sickly sweet, and totally lacking the wonderful depth it has on me. very sad.

i can't quite decide what to do with this oil. i love the way it smells on me, but mostly bc thats how i want my husband to smell, now how *i* want to smell, if that makes sense. very confusing. we shall see.

Dragon's blood really agrees with me. My skin turns it into a spicy sweet scent, not floral at all, and not so sweet as to be cloying. Very yummy. Most of the dragon's blood scents I've tried here have been wonderful on me, and Dragon's Heart is no exception.

I can't actually make out any of the individual notes in this besides the dragon's blood, but I can definitely tell that they're doing wonderful things together. If anything, they're making the spiciness richer than dragon's blood usually is on me and making the scent sink in closer to my skin, leaving me with a subtle, rich spiciness as a second skin scent.

I already have Blood Amber and Dragon's Milk on order... I think I'm starting to sense a pattern in my tastes. :P

I love this one! It has the distinct scent of dragon's blood, but it is not as overpowering as some dragon's blood scents. The currant mellows it and adds a slight berry sweetness, just a hint. The musks give it a sensual feel, and it has a bit of smokiness too it. All in all, it's a scent to feel empowered and sensual.

This was a giftie from the Lab. :P

In the imp: The metallic edge of dragon's blood, sweetened by somethign fruity. I think that's a currant, but it could also be the fig mixed in.

Wet: The musks come roaring out with the dragon's blood forming a base. This stage isn't bad, per se, but I'm not fond of it.

Drydown: This balances out into a nice mix of fruity sweet, red musk and the bite of dragon's blood.

Final thoughts: I wasn't sure what to make of it in the wet stages. Had it stayed there, I probably wouldn't have liked it. But the drydown stage ended up into something nice. I also feel very strong and calm wearing this. I see comparisons to Blood Lotus, but as that blend turned to oily pencil shavings on me, this smells very different. The wonders of skin chemistry.